Forum Settings
Forums

Are you typically perceived as male or female online?

New
Oct 12, 6:53 AM

May 2023
Are you typically perceived as male or female online? I need to know!
Oct 12, 7:05 AM

Jul 2021
Mostly gender neutral, because in online conversation "you" is usually how you refer to someone you talk to.
There actually have been some people who thought I was a girl, but that's rare.
In general I still live by the age old rule of "assume everyone to be a male unless proven otherwise".
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Oct 12, 7:12 AM

Feb 2020
When I was more active on PS4 and especially in the communities, definitely I appeared female to many.
I think because my PSN username sounds a little feminine, even though it was just a slight alteration on my Xbox name.
And maybe because I used this avatar, even though to me it's not remotely girly lol.

After that I used Junko Enoshima as my avatar, and it was more of the same.
You could tell by the tone of the people messaging me that they were expecting a female. I always told them I was male though, after that I was usually ghosted and deleted lol.
Now I put my gender in my description, same with a few other websites, even if you have to or not.
Oct 12, 7:16 AM

Sep 2024
People usually think I'm a female online, I've had situations where people thought I was lying about my gender.
"When clouds appear, wise men put on their cloaks;
When great leaves fall, the winter is at hand;
When the sun sets, who doth not look for night?
Untimely storms make men expect a dearth."

William Shakespeare
Oct 12, 7:24 AM

Mar 2012
I'm female and I don't think I have any male characteristics but on sites where gender is not displayed people have mistaken me for a male, even on MAL I've received at least 2 or 3 comments back when I had not disabled my comments section saying that they were surprised that I was female. This happens mostly because I'm vocal about my dislike for BL and people assume that all girls like BL.
Oct 12, 7:26 AM
Dec 2022
Born female, perceived as female online just above half of the time thankfully. It must be because I sometimes drool over galleries showing SFW photos of women in some Discord servers.
Oct 12, 7:30 AM

Dec 2021
Honestly, I've never been misidentified online. It has happened in person once or twice, though... because apparently this looks female?

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Oct 12, 7:39 AM
Dec 2022
Daviljoe193 said:
Honestly, I've never been misidentified online. It has happened in person once or twice, though... because apparently this looks female?

As the famous fictional movie character, Austin Powers, once said.

"It's a man, baby."
Oct 12, 9:04 AM

Jun 2016
Only time I was ever perceived as a girl was a dude on omegle who wanted cybersex and went all in without even asking.
Even when I played as a female blood elf on WoW people didn't call me a girl although to be fair WoW was probably 90% dudes at the time.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 12, 9:17 AM

Sep 2016
I'm openly perverted online, and perverts are automatically assumed to be male in almost every case, even though there probably are lots of female perverts, but they probably are secretly perverted to avoid stigma, which is unfortunate.
Oct 12, 9:35 AM

Apr 2018
I can't read other peoples minds so I can't say for sure. I think I am typically perceived as male online. At the very least, in most encounters I bother to remember, I have been perceived as male. Most. There was one online encounter I recall where someone seemed to perceive me as female. To make a long story short, some Nazi (no, I'm not using that word lightly, this person was a full-blown white supremacist) was rambling a bunch of dumb bullshit, as one would expect of them. I made fun of them, and they tried to argue back. It wasn't working out for them. In the end, they did the classic "get back in the kitchen" thing. That's one of the very few times I've been mistaken for a woman online. Another time I was perceived as female online was in some MMO I played, since I played with a loli character. Some guy kept following me around in that game and constantly gave me a bunch of gifts. I rewarded him with a little dance. You are not immune to loli dances.
Oct 12, 9:37 AM

Feb 2020
Born male, perceived as both male and female online.
Oct 12, 9:38 AM

Jan 2009
im a pervert online so male by default even though i got low sex drive in real life due to health problems
Oct 12, 9:45 AM

Jul 2017
No one online or in real life has ever really said anything about my gender or sex, so I'm guessing people assume that I'm male? Well, they're right. I am indeed male at birth, and male in both gender and sex.
Oct 12, 9:48 AM

Oct 2024
I'm perceived as female online (most of the time at least) and I'm born female.
๐”ฐ๐”ข๐”ฑ ๐”Ÿ๐”ถ โ„Œ๐”ข๐”ฏ๐”ฏ๐”ฐ๐” ๐”ฅ๐”ข๐”ฏ๐”ฆ๐”ซ                                  
Oct 12, 10:40 AM

Dec 2013
From my MAL profile layout and avatar, one should already know what my gender is, since the design is clearly not feminine

Oct 12, 10:41 AM

May 2013
Male mostly.

You can day yadda yadda trans or whatever but my personality is a specific archetype of feminine male. People seeing me this way doesn't particularly bother me either since gender identity is something I dont put too much weight in anymore.

โ™ก Harder Daddy โ™ก
Oct 12, 12:06 PM

Jun 2020
both and it doesn’t help that i’m very feminine
Oct 12, 12:08 PM

Jan 2017
I have my gender listed on all platforms I use.

Although when I used to use VRChat with full body tracking a year or so ago when I didn't have my gender in my bio most people assumed I was a girl due to my body movements and how I sit/act.

Also had people assume I was a girl on MAL quite a few years back before I decided to add my gender to my profile because of that. IRL wise I've had a few people mistake me for a girl due to my long hair and how young I look/how short I am.
Oct 12, 1:22 PM

Dec 2015
Well as a male and with publicly viewed info about my gender/sex for most of the part I am seen as male as expected, but in some rare occasions some individuals actually thought that I am female.
Oct 12, 1:34 PM

Dec 2021
Always male. I always make sure that my profile pics online are male characters so that there's no confusion.
Oct 12, 1:51 PM

Sep 2019
Idk, I don't really recall a time where I've had somebody assume I was the opposite sex, I'm a girl btw uwu (REAL)
Oct 13, 1:51 PM
แ•™(โ‡€โ€ธโ†ผโ€ถ)แ•—

Aug 2014
I am typically perceived as that which I am.
Oct 13, 1:58 PM

Sep 2018
Pretty sure I pass of as a dude easily though some pfps I had seem to had people think otherwise.
Oct 13, 2:20 PM

Jul 2012
People think I spelled Miranda wrong. I did not spell Miranda wrong.
Oct 13, 2:21 PM

Oct 2022
On twitter I have a stereotypical "female" looking profile so that happens a lot on that site. If I do my hair a certain way and wear some makeup I can even get mistaken for a female in real life too. Although I don't really care how people perceive me online or in real life anyhow.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Oct 13, 2:29 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Kwanthemaster
I am typically perceived as that which I am.
@Kwanthemaster So what you're saying that....

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Oct 13, 2:42 PM

Jan 2009
My writing style usually gives it away, so my only chance to half-way stay in a more anonymous setting would be to stop commenting too much while having an ambiguous username.

Maou_heika said:
I'm female and I don't think I have any male characteristics but on sites where gender is not displayed people have mistaken me for a male, even on MAL I've received at least 2 or 3 comments back when I had not disabled my comments section saying that they were surprised that I was female. This happens mostly because I'm vocal about my dislike for BL and people assume that all girls like BL.
Are people being surprised about your gender for openly criticizing BL also at least partially the reason why you seem vocal about your biological sex other than you not liking being in the body of a woman? But aside from that, it's not like you completely dislike BL elements or male gay pairings in general. You seem only more sensitive to sexual abuse and worse that seems to be more common in that genre (at least from your own experiences), but as long as something doesn't have abuse or worse and isn't explicitly sexual, you can enjoy BL as well. Else, you seem feminine through and through.

Daviljoe193 said:
Well, if that's you or if you look similar to that dude in the picture, then you do have very long hair after all, so I can see why you would get mistaken at night from behind at the very least.

Nette said:
Male mostly.
In many of your postings (where you don't downplay yourself), you come off more as female, though.

Dumb said:
Yes, you could be either at this point and you do have a rather feminine style.
Oct 13, 2:43 PM

Aug 2021
I'm a guy and I've been asked here at MAL if I was a girl, I didn't understand why, maybe it's the BL in the favorites? I don't know.

Oct 13, 2:47 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to WaffleMaster89
On twitter I have a stereotypical "female" looking profile so that happens a lot on that site. If I do my hair a certain way and wear some makeup I can even get mistaken for a female in real life too. Although I don't really care how people perceive me online or in real life anyhow.
@WaffleMaster89
I generally assume anyone with fruits Basket in favs is a female so you fooled me. Lol
Oct 13, 2:56 PM

Nov 2021
In video games, I have often been mistaken as a male. But on forums and online, it must be more obvious. Of course, you never really know. People may secretly think you're one thing or another and just play along because it's easier.

If somebody uses a profile image that is different from their actual gender, I sometimes get thrown off. I know I shouldn't, but I still do.
Oct 13, 3:03 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to rohan121
@WaffleMaster89
I generally assume anyone with fruits Basket in favs is a female so you fooled me. Lol
@rohan121 Lol true. I'm just someone who likes watching shoujo anime, you can blame my sisters for that. It's one of the reasons why I have my gender listed on my profile.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Oct 13, 3:05 PM
white angel

Feb 2024
Anyone who perceives me as female, please raise your hand.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Oct 13, 3:13 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Anyone who perceives me as female, please raise your hand.
@LoveYourSmile
If your profile did not say male I would call it a female list outside devilman. Especially with Violet evergarden.
Oct 13, 3:39 PM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
Born female, perceived as female online.

Even when in some websites or online games where many of irl males play as female character, somehow people tell could tell I am female irl^^;

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Oct 13, 4:02 PM

May 2013
Reply to Noboru
My writing style usually gives it away, so my only chance to half-way stay in a more anonymous setting would be to stop commenting too much while having an ambiguous username.

Maou_heika said:
Are people being surprised about your gender for openly criticizing BL also at least partially the reason why you seem vocal about your biological sex other than you not liking being in the body of a woman? But aside from that, it's not like you completely dislike BL elements or male gay pairings in general. You seem only more sensitive to sexual abuse and worse that seems to be more common in that genre (at least from your own experiences), but as long as something doesn't have abuse or worse and isn't explicitly sexual, you can enjoy BL as well. Else, you seem feminine through and through.

Daviljoe193 said:
Well, if that's you or if you look similar to that dude in the picture, then you do have very long hair after all, so I can see why you would get mistaken at night from behind at the very least.

Nette said:
Male mostly.
In many of your postings (where you don't downplay yourself), you come off more as female, though.

Dumb said:
Yes, you could be either at this point and you do have a rather feminine style.
@Noboru

I think its more of a gaydar thing. I come off as a bottom lol which is more feminine anyway.

โ™ก Harder Daddy โ™ก
Oct 13, 4:42 PM

Jul 2013
The OP is very suspicious, no offense. Why would he ask such questions?
Oct 13, 5:07 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to DesuMaiden
The OP is very suspicious, no offense. Why would he ask such questions?
@DesuMaiden He wants your face. Join all of me in letting him add your face to his collection.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Oct 13, 5:18 PM
absent presence

Jul 2024
Both! If I'm playing a game where I can dress my character nd I choose to dress as a woman I'll be assumed to be a man since my voice is deeper than most women. Now if I dress as a man I'll be assumed to be a woman since my voice is "too high to be a man." Either that or I'm getting called a trans slur.

But if I'm playing a regular game that character dressing doesn't matter than I'll be assumed to be trans, nothing more or less.
i love it when you look at me baby <3

โ‹† GROTESQUE - lynch. โ‹†
Oct 13, 5:30 PM
้‹ผ้‰„ไน™ๅฅณ

Aug 2016
I'm a woman but I'm often mistaken for a man lol. I tend to be a little too formal and impersonal when addressing strangers and those characteristics are considered male coded in my culture.
"Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!" - Bill & Ted´s Excellent Adventure

Check my introduction to Char´s Counterattack interest stack if you´re interested in watching UC Gundam. Also check my Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA Chronological Watch Order for LoGH info!
Oct 14, 9:51 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Nette
@Noboru

I think its more of a gaydar thing. I come off as a bottom lol which is more feminine anyway.
@Nette Gender dysphoria is a bit different than just "gaydar thing". Aside from that, I was talking purely about writing style and not behavior.
Oct 14, 10:57 AM

May 2013
Reply to Noboru
@Nette Gender dysphoria is a bit different than just "gaydar thing". Aside from that, I was talking purely about writing style and not behavior.
@Noboru

I dunno lol. Women I know just say how I talk and act in a way that is "socialized male" so that's what I use.

โ™ก Harder Daddy โ™ก
Oct 14, 11:00 AM

Jul 2015
People often seem to assume I'm a woman. I have no fucking idea why ๐Ÿ˜ญ
I ended up putting "female" in my profile. Might as well play along.
Oct 14, 12:58 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Nette
@Noboru

I dunno lol. Women I know just say how I talk and act in a way that is "socialized male" so that's what I use.
@Nette If that's what you think, it may be so
10 hours ago

Aug 2020
people used to always think i was a guy before i specified it on my profile. always found it kinda interesting.

DANDADAN DANDADAN DANDADAN DANDADAN

she/they () past sets () myanimelist () letterboxd
8 hours ago
2nd Lieutenant

Aug 2024
I was born male, perceived as female online. It isn't even my intention to be perceived as female online! I asked a lot of people about it, and they replied it's my vibes, sentence structure, and my reactions.
8 hours ago

Mar 2008
A lot of people by default assume you are male for being online. I get both assumptions though.

More topics from this board

» Do you want to stay in your hometown or move abroad/elsewhere/travel?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 2 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Should Cats Be Allowed to Have Jobs?

KittenCuddler - 3 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you wear seatbelts AT ALL TIMES?

luffysenchou - Yesterday

22 by Noboru »»
41 minutes ago

» Honestly, why would you have piercings? ( 1 2 )

Commit_Crime - Oct 15

71 by 3miL »»
46 minutes ago

» What is your hair like?

Ejrodiew - 11 hours ago

20 by ScaryOwl »»
2 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.