Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 29, 6:57 AM

Nov 2011
This episode bought attention to Fuu, a character that hasn't gotten much spotlight yet and her relations to signing. Got a little character background story too.

She seems to be more shy and timid than the others but nonetheless has talent. Just glad this anime has more variety of characters.
Jul 29, 7:00 AM

Feb 2020
Very touching episode.

Poor Fu. :( It was interesting to learn more about her past. I'm glad we got to hear her sing, after all. She has a cute voice.

SerafosJul 29, 7:57 AM
Jul 29, 7:04 AM

Apr 2014
That was an emotional episode. I wish Aya would be able to return as a ghost. This series already has a vampire, so why not add some ghosts?
何それ?意味分かんない
Jul 29, 7:05 AM

Nov 2021
After those fun episodes, finally the sad one has come. It's nice that we get to hear Tomori- I mean Fuu sing in this episode.
Jul 29, 7:25 AM

Jul 2017
The deep dive into Fu's character, as Masaki attempts a survey to get to know the vampires a lot better, she's the only decent one with a real job as a bath caretaker...and someone who can sing as well, but that she chooses not to on her own volition. Her having a fellow friend of Aya who can support her and go pro as a singer with their meetings only at night, and all Fu ever got worried for is her existence as a vampire coming out in the day, which means that she cannot make her dreams come true. It's the same for Aya as the two-girl act, though Fu quivers because she simply cannot come out in the sunlight.

The only other alternative is for Masaki and Live to contact her friend and force her to sing, though it's her own cboice, and Masaki's only giving her a push to see her friend again...all the way in a small underground pub in America, where her guitar and her case only stands because she passed away. There's one more thing: a CD attached to a case of a pre-recorded video revealing how much fun Aya had with Fu, and by running away, she regretted her decision on that fateful day.

The only thing that Fu can do, is to dedicate a song to her, and Hina Youmiya does a knockout job of a song for their new video.

An emotional episode for Fu, this is a standout episode dedicated to her character.
Jul 29, 7:39 AM
Jul 2023
What’s this? emotional episode in my silly vampire anime?! Why? Why is it so touching and heart rending? I want laugh not shed tears goddamnit!
Jul 29, 8:05 AM

Mar 2021
Very Touching and emotional episode Glad to See Fu got some focus this time and that she got closure about her past friend and also she has a beautiful singing voice.
Jul 29, 8:23 AM
Jul 2023
great episode about following dreams and regrets. this shit had me crying for the last couple minutes
Jul 29, 8:55 AM

Dec 2021
>I'm heading out of the house for a bit.
> Goes to NEW FUCKING YORK...
yeah "a bit" LOL.

Engrish wasn't bad icl. Would've mistaken it for actual English dub VAs that's how good it was.

But yeah, for such a goofy show like this never would I have expected such an emotional episode like this. So proud of my girl Fu. Sasuga Fu.

Jul 29, 10:21 AM
May 2023
Most sad, heart wrenching, most emotional episode this season. Idc. Fight me. I WILL die on this hill
Jul 29, 10:40 AM

Mar 2020
Well, after watching Narenare yesterday I think based on the English voice lines alone, I can tell which P.A. Works original was prioritized this season. Quite an emotional episode, pretty simple one about following your dreams and obstacles along the way, but it worked well. Best episode so far.
Jul 29, 11:01 AM

Jun 2016
Unexpectedly dramatic episode, I didn't even realize it was a flashback right away, I was just surprised by the appearance of the tapes. In general, this episode revealed one of Fu's vampires, and also showed that Masaki is not so bad and the essence of her conflict is yet to be revealed. Nothing against drama but I hope it won't be too much, I'm still hoping for a yuri with Live.
Jul 29, 11:08 AM
Feb 2021
Well after 3 episodes of hyper manic energy Mayonaka Punch finally calms down.. only to deliver a black belt karate punch in the feels.
It's what, well, one of the things I love about PA Works shows you really don't know what's coming next.
Really good episode 💖
Jul 29, 11:24 AM

Nov 2023
Very emotional episode, I absolutely not expected it fs.

Poor Fu, great song!
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Jul 29, 11:29 AM

Feb 2019
Didn’t expect that a Mayopan episode of all the seasonals would be the first to make me cry this season 😭 heartbreaking but beautiful episode. Fu and Aya’s story hit right in the feels and this was easily the most emotional episode of the summer seasonals, showing that this show isn’t just laughs and Yuri fanservice, but an actual well written story.

I had a feeling things were gonna be sad with Aya and Fu in the end, but I didn’t think it would be because Aya’d die. Thought they’d just fall out over Fu being a vampire. I’m such a sucker for stories where two characters have a falling out and sadly never get to make up or properly convey their feelings because one character’s sudden passing. It’s something that hits so deep and close to home because a lot of us have had people irl whether friends or family that we’ve lost and maybe didn’t end on good terms.

The twist that Aya and Fu’s meetings had to have taken place in like the 80s was well done. They hinted at it when Masaki brought up cassette tapes, but man, that still means Aya passed pretty young. 💔

I wish so bad that Fu could’ve let Aya know she was a vampire and didn’t abandon her that day intentionally.. but even with that, Aya still saw Fu as her motivation and reason for singing and never hated her for it. If anything that makes it even harder to see 😭. You never know when it’s the last time you’ll see someone, so don’t live with regrets, let them know what they mean to you.

Fu’s song at the end of the episode was a beautiful way to wrap everything up and I like to think that Aya was there with her in spirit singing just like the old days.

On an aside, Yuki is really starting to get on my nerves. She destroyed the girls’ SD card last week and then her nasty comments to Fu discouraging her from her dreams. It’s like she takes her insecurities and failings out on others and I hate it.
Marinate1016Jul 29, 11:56 AM
Jul 29, 12:03 PM

Jul 2023
Fu back story was really great. This is so unexpectedly gd

Jul 29, 12:25 PM

Dec 2013
With the show being a comedy I was expecting a touching reunion, Aya being old or something like that and maybe one last goodbye with her being a rather successful artist, I was not ready for that gut punch
Jul 29, 1:01 PM
Apr 2020
I enjoyed this episode too, but surely at least one of their viewers would know Aya was already gone before Fu set off to NY?
Jul 29, 1:03 PM

Feb 2014
Can I rename this series "Mayonaka Punch In The Feels"?

Seriously, It's been a while since I've watched a comedy series that has an episode that hits hard on the emotional front and this was easily one of them. Fu's backstory about her time hanging out with Aya, singing together during the 1980's, hence the cassette players and older T.Vs with dials to change the volume and channel, but since she was a vampire and being on stage meant being exposed to the sunlight, she had no choice but to run away.

Masaki did well to help give Fu the push she needed to get searching for Aya, which led Fu to New York City itself. She got Aya's guitar and case, but she also learnt that Aya had passed away. Not only that, but the case had a CD which had a recording of Aya being recorded by a friend about her past and that's where the emotions hit Fu. This scene made me tear up so damn easily! T_T

The others were able to set up a make-shift recording studio so that Fu can sing one of Aya's songs for the ED segment and it was a beautiful one at that. Her smile at the end of the episode was VERY precious.

Overall, this is one of the best episodes of the summer season for me so far. On another note, I do look forward to a nighttime-themed beach episode next time.
Jul 29, 1:06 PM
Apr 2020
Reply to Marinate1016
Didn’t expect that a Mayopan episode of all the seasonals would be the first to make me cry this season 😭 heartbreaking but beautiful episode. Fu and Aya’s story hit right in the feels and this was easily the most emotional episode of the summer seasonals, showing that this show isn’t just laughs and Yuri fanservice, but an actual well written story.

I had a feeling things were gonna be sad with Aya and Fu in the end, but I didn’t think it would be because Aya’d die. Thought they’d just fall out over Fu being a vampire. I’m such a sucker for stories where two characters have a falling out and sadly never get to make up or properly convey their feelings because one character’s sudden passing. It’s something that hits so deep and close to home because a lot of us have had people irl whether friends or family that we’ve lost and maybe didn’t end on good terms.

The twist that Aya and Fu’s meetings had to have taken place in like the 80s was well done. They hinted at it when Masaki brought up cassette tapes, but man, that still means Aya passed pretty young. 💔

I wish so bad that Fu could’ve let Aya know she was a vampire and didn’t abandon her that day intentionally.. but even with that, Aya still saw Fu as her motivation and reason for singing and never hated her for it. If anything that makes it even harder to see 😭. You never know when it’s the last time you’ll see someone, so don’t live with regrets, let them know what they mean to you.

Fu’s song at the end of the episode was a beautiful way to wrap everything up and I like to think that Aya was there with her in spirit singing just like the old days.

On an aside, Yuki is really starting to get on my nerves. She destroyed the girls’ SD card last week and then her nasty comments to Fu discouraging her from her dreams. It’s like she takes her insecurities and failings out on others and I hate it.
@Marinate1016 Yuki's harsh but fair - you don't survive long as a vampire by doing things that attract attention - or are actually dangerous. It's nice to have dreams but Fu hadn't thought things through. Someone had to tell her.
Jul 29, 1:08 PM

Feb 2019
bakuretsu_lala said:
@Marinate1016 Yuki's harsh but fair - you don't survive long as a vampire by doing things that attract attention - or are actually dangerous. It's nice to have dreams but Fu hadn't thought things through. Someone had to tell her.

It’s not what you say but how you say it. She’s an asshole and last week she handled things poorly too.
Jul 29, 1:36 PM

Sep 2009
As people pointed out, the casette Aya gave to Fu have a bunch of songs referencing 1977 Billboard hits. So you can imagine how much time have passed.
Jul 29, 3:37 PM

Sep 2014
Anime once again punches you right in the feels with an uncalled surprise attack. Ending song was really good tho. I wonder about the other vampires backstories.
Jul 29, 3:53 PM

Mar 2019
Kind of a boring episode for me. We don't know anything about Fu yet so they give us an episode all about her. But they also try to pull on the heartstrings with all this emotional stuff. I don't care enough about Fu at this point for it to be meaningful. Just didn't work very well for me. And why was Fu thinking she could go on stage in the sunlight? Did she forget she was a vampire until the last second? Weak writing.

side note - wish they would have subtitled the song at the end.
Jul 29, 3:54 PM
Aug 2022
Well wtf this episode came way out of left field. Like for a mostly light-hearted show with ridiculous moments and dumb comedy to get such a depressing episode was really surprising. Fuu has jumped up to my third favourite character in this show and I have a lot more respect for her. When they where looking for her old partner I was joking to myself that she might be dead but dam she actually was dead like wtf.

I wasn't expecting it but they actually gave Fuu a really nice voice to fit her singing.

Vampires and dragons are my 2 favourite mythological creatures and this episode reminded me that the concept behind vampires is actually pretty depressing. They're people who are forced to kill in order to survive and are always stuck in darkness whilst staying forever young and watching any potential human friends grow old and die.
Jul 29, 4:27 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to GrumbleDango
Kind of a boring episode for me. We don't know anything about Fu yet so they give us an episode all about her. But they also try to pull on the heartstrings with all this emotional stuff. I don't care enough about Fu at this point for it to be meaningful. Just didn't work very well for me. And why was Fu thinking she could go on stage in the sunlight? Did she forget she was a vampire until the last second? Weak writing.

@GrumbleDango Probably cause you (wrongly) assumed some sort of age progressed learning and wisdom for being immortal when the entire time, you've been shown that all of these vampires, even the one supposedly the "adult" chaperone, are emotionally stunted and at best have the maturity of a high school girl or younger (ie Ichigo that randomly trades stocks but acts like a kindergartener).

Why would she think she could? I dunno, you never forget something important ever in your life? Weak writing? More like weak logic and weak media literacy.
Jul 29, 4:29 PM
Aug 2022
Didn't expect the funny vampire youtube anime to have such an emotional episode this early too. Getting to know more about Fu was nice since she was the most underdeveloped character. The thought of inevatibally losing people that are dear to immortality is just really sad, especially in this case them being someone you didn't get the chance to apologize. At least she ended up feeling better in the end. I expect this will happen to the other characters as Masaki improves their lives too, with in turn them helping Masaki figure things out. The ending for this episode was also great.
Jul 29, 5:10 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to GrumbleDango

@GrumbleDango I saw the sunlight part as being a more symbolic thing, the sunlight being like a manifestation of her own fears of taking big risks and putting herself out there.
Jul 29, 5:21 PM

Sep 2020
The single flaw of this great episode was the abscene of Live, Ichigo and Tokage from Fu's flashback because I also wanted to see those three wearing stylish clothes from fifty years ago.
Jul 29, 5:34 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to Serafos
Very touching episode.

Poor Fu. :( It was interesting to learn more about her past. I'm glad we got to hear her sing, after all. She has a cute voice.

@Serafos Sort of a melancholy episode. We let ourselves think this was only a few years ago, when it was decades ago. Aya has passed away, they didn't say from what, but it was sad. Fuu realized it wasn't meant to be when her hand almost caught fire. A side note to this, anyone else starting to hate Yuki? She seems to exist only to say "NO!" to everything. Other than getting drunk on garlic that time, I really don't like her.
Jul 29, 5:46 PM
Jul 2015
what if bang dream was vampires
Jul 29, 6:06 PM

Nov 2016
"Just firing myself up" Loved that

Dang, that Fu didn't get to see Aya again was just heartbreaking. Goes to show that we shouldn't hesitate to reconile. The thing is I didn't think that much time had passed despite Aya's uniform and the cassette.

Great ending with the song. P.A. Works still pumping out emotional bangers like almost no other studio.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 29, 6:06 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Huh, an unexpectedly sweet episode out of a vampire youtuber anime, neat. Too bad that Fu wasn't able to convey her reasons to Aya in time and led to her dying before that. Clearly a lot of time passed since then but not enough but Fu's singing to get crispy. Good performance.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jul 29, 6:18 PM

Nov 2023
The girl must have died very young... what a sad episode.
I hope they keep this hairstyle for Fuu, with her eyes showing. She looks much cuter that way.
Satoshi17Jul 29, 6:22 PM
Jul 29, 6:42 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to Satoshi17
I hope they keep this hairstyle for Fuu, with her eyes showing. She looks much cuter that way.
@Satoshi17 The songs on the tape were from 1977. We know she was alive at least until 2 years ago when they said she performed at that bar. So depending on how old you think she was doing the audition (at least 14 because high school girl), then she was at least 59.
Jul 29, 6:42 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to Satoshi17
the songs on the cassette tape were from 1977, so Aya was probably born close to 1960
Jul 29, 7:05 PM

Nov 2023
Well, 60 is still young. :c
Anyway, from the way she was drawn, she looked like she was at most 40 years old.

@sodrainz @ForTehNguyen
Jul 29, 7:13 PM

Nov 2021
Why would they break out hearts like this only 4 episodes in..
Jul 29, 7:41 PM
Jul 29, 7:44 PM

Mar 2024
I was not expecting this series to get a legitimately great episode but that was extremely good honestly. Hope we get more episodes of this quality

☆-----------------------------------------------------------------☆
This beauty on a broom, who on earth could she be?
That's right, she's me.
Jul 29, 7:54 PM
Oct 2023
Great episode, tugged at the heart strings a lot. I think Fu knew but used the seemingly strict masquerade rules as an excuse not to settle things with Aya early and properly, a decision she clearly regrets.

What makes it worse, had she become a famous pop star for 10ish to 15ish years, Fu definitely could have amicably parted and there would be enough pop culture reference especially in America to at least tell Aya what she is since Vampire Masquerade came out in 1991.
Jul 29, 8:48 PM
Jan 2018
watching this epidode feels like watching last scene charlotte
Jul 29, 9:34 PM

Jun 2023
Didn’t expect a tearjerker.
Jul 29, 10:21 PM

Jul 2022
Now that I think about it, how do the vampires appear in the videos? Aren't they supposed to be invisible, or is that only with mirrors?

Well, it doesn't matter... This episode made me cry when I was supposed to watch it for fun. I knew that due to the immortality of vampires, they all had some story, but I didn't expect to see it so quickly and with the one I least expected. Poor Fu, you could see in Aya's video that, despite not knowing Fu's reasons, she still cared for her. I hope they don't forget in the next episodes the talent that the lovely Fu has.
Jul 29, 11:08 PM
Oct 2019
What a wonderful and heartbreaking story.
Holy moly after all those fun episode, it finally hit us emotionally.

Aya emotional speech and the special ED from Fuu got me in tears.

But hey Obligatory Beach episode is coming next week.
Jul 29, 11:52 PM
Nov 2020
Did my eyes blurred
Jul 30, 12:44 AM

Mar 2008
Aw too bad Fu never got to have a proper talk with Aya. :c

bakuretsu_lala said:
Yuki's harsh but fair - you don't survive long as a vampire by doing things that attract attention - or are actually dangerous. It's nice to have dreams but Fu hadn't thought things through. Someone had to tell her.

Fu could have just worn a mask or disguise and be fine or only do it for a limited amount of time and it wouldnt cause a problem.
Jul 30, 2:38 AM
Mar 2018
I hadn't really found much to like about this show, but this episode was pretty great.
Jul 30, 2:53 AM
Jun 2017
I just came to laugh and ended up crying and reflecting on how time goes by quickly and the best thing is to do what we like with the people we love before we run out of time.
Jul 30, 2:54 AM
Feb 2020
Man now THAT was a great episode.Wasn't expecting a feels filled eps.One thing i do wonder tho,is it should alr been a few decades after the pic they used to find her and how someone could still recognize Aya from it.She alr looked quite different from the recording.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mayonaka Punch Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26

35 by imjayhime »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Mayonaka Punch Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12

31 by imjayhime »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Mayonaka Punch Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 19

24 by yuanya »»
Aug 27, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Mayonaka Punch Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 5

30 by Rasco »»
Aug 25, 2:11 PM

» Day in the Life of a Japanese Anime Director

Rorek - Aug 12

9 by javiawesome »»
Aug 21, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.