Forum Settings
Forums

Do you see value in someone having a "different/unique" favorites list/3x3?

New
5 hours ago

Feb 2014
Personally, I do, and a lot.
For me, someone's favorites not being predictable (AKA not being full of anime that are "safely agreed to be good") shows me that the person has a "developed taste".
"Developed" not in the sense that it is "better" than others, but on the sense that this person knows themselves and is aware of their own tastes quite well, to the point that they can go to very specific anime that are not made for all, but rather made to resonate with specific niches, and that person happens to be in one of those niches, and therefore will get a better experience from it than the average).
It takes watching quite some anime to get to that point, it is essentially a journey of self-discovery.

Let me use mine as an example: I do have "safe picks" like Code Geass, Higurashi Kai and Made in Abyss on it, as well as "cult/2deep4you/elitist" picks such as Kaiba(In previous iterations I also had Boogiepop Phantom there), but I feel that people will know me better when they see things there such as Selector Infected WIXOSS, Bokura no, Killing Bites, Alien 9, Shigofumi and Mahoujin GuruGuru (2017). Of those, Bokura no is the most popular, but I rarely see people mentioning nowadays, so part of me also sees this as some sort of "social good" by making people see it in someone's list and think to themselves "What is the appeal of it for someone to put it on their favorites?" and pique their curiosity to "different stuff", so one day they might make their own list like that.

And also, it's like the business card scene from American Psycho.
5 hours ago

Feb 2020
Yeah, it's more interesting to watch someone's favorites if they are something else than AoT, FMAB, Steins;Gate, Ping Pong, etc. Those copy and paste lists are just way too common.

Serafos5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Mar 2023
Yes because I like to see variety in anime tastes
4 hours ago

Jun 2017
I put my favorite anime on my favorites list... people who put random garbage on their profiles are just pretending, you will never convince me that u actually believe Grisaia no Kajitsu is better than FMAB
4 hours ago

May 2018
My main issue with those lists of favorites are their lengths.
Lets say you are watching anime for years and you like only 9 (3x3) or 10 (the free slots on MAL's profile) titles? I don't get it.
Also if I am somehow forced to use such limitations, every time I compile it, different titles will pop-up depending on my mood. (For context, the shows on my profile aren't my ultimate favorites, just representatives of my favorite genres.)

As for how diverse one's list could be - I think it's only natural to have 2/3 of really popular and 1/3 of relatively obscure shows...and this is not only due to peer pressure, but also exposure and accessibility. Other proportions wouldn't surprise me either, but I would take a 100% totally obscure list with a grain of salt about its creator's sincerity.
alshu4 hours ago
4 hours ago
Oct 2019
Reply to Katou81
I put my favorite anime on my favorites list... people who put random garbage on their profiles are just pretending, you will never convince me that u actually believe Grisaia no Kajitsu is better than FMAB
@Katou81 you failed to understand the point of op. He don't mean that someone who do this believe that he just mean that someone who do it have a better experience with Grisaia no kajitsu to put in his favorite rather than Fmab. I have 120 10/10 and yet only 14 are in my favorite because I don't value a 10/10 a reason enough to be in favorite it need something more.
4 hours ago

Nov 2012
I sort of think that even if someone has a list of favorites with all popular battle shounen titles or something, that it still shows they have a developed taste in knowing they like those kinds of series. Even "safe picks" from the top 100 anime on MAL can still show which themes and genres a person is into when it comes to anime. For me, I see those things more of a personal thing for someone and something that shouldn't really be taken at face-value of "I must watch this to see its appeal." But I can see how it can be beneficial to others if it has some more obscure things included. Personally, I think seeing someone's full list and seeing which scores they gave to certain things is better for finding more obscure titles that might be good. But I also don't take the scores others give to certain series at face-value for if I'd like it myself
4 hours ago

Jul 2015
Although I understand your perspective and don't necessarily disagree, I find the term "developed" somewhat problematic in this context. Let me explain my thoughts through rhetorical questions to illustrate my point better.

You mention that "developed" doesn't mean "better" but rather indicates that a person knows their tastes well enough to enjoy niche anime. However, why label this as "developed"? Can't someone's taste be considered developed if they primarily enjoy popular titles? If someone genuinely loves widely acclaimed anime like Code Geass and Made in Abyss (that you mentioned as well), doesn't that reflect their taste as well? How does that make their taste any less "developed"? For the record, I'm not a fan of either C.G or MiA, but I did enjoy both.

Moreover, why is there a need to "develop" one's taste away from popular genres and themes? Is it somehow less valid to enjoy what many others also enjoy? Everyone has unique reasons for loving what they love, and those reasons are inherently valuable.

In response to the original question, I don't see any particular value in judging someone's favorites list. Everyone has their tastes, and those preferences are a reflection of their journey and experiences with anime/manga/novels/games/anything else. Whether their list includes mainstream hits or niche gems, it doesn't inherently add or detract value from their character or preferences.

That being said, I do see some merit in your point. It's nice to learn about different perspectives and understand why certain titles, particularly unpopular ones, resonate with people. I'm not saying your take is wrong at all. I'm just sharing my thoughts.

At the end of the day, it's all about enjoying what we love and appreciating the variety in everyone's favorites
3 hours ago

Jun 2024
Yes, because I want to see uncommon.
3 hours ago

Oct 2019
Being "unique" honestly just comes with having seen more anime.

The more you watch, the likelier it becomes for a none super popular show to become one of your favourites.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
3 hours ago

Feb 2011
@Katou81 I haven't watched Grisaia no Kajitsu anime adaptation, but I genuinely believe that the visual novel it is based on is better than FMAB. At the very least, it left a much stronger impression on me personally.

@thewiru Seeing unique favorite lists is indeed interesting. It adds a lot of individuality; humans aren't robots after all, so even if something is "objectively" better, it doesn't matter much because our own emotional response is more important than that.

3 hours ago

Dec 2022
Only a small percentage of the total number of anime series out there could be called truly popular or mainstream amongst anime watchers; the rest are typically eschewed by your average, casual viewer for reasons that more explorative minds mightn't give much credence to. So, when a list reflects an open mind that gives even the most obscure or lepered of series a fair shake, it does convey a sort of healthy impartiality.

It's not necessary, of course. There are many people who are comfortable with watching only the most renowned of series, since they surmise that their combined popularity (usually above #200 or #300 on the ranked list) and weighted rating (typically above 8.00) reveals a "broad appeal" that is more likely to resonate with them, which is admittedly true most of the time. Whether or not that'll be their approach to anime down the line is more uncertain though, especially when they're done watching the usual checklist of the same 1-20 specific series that are often reflexively recommended to individuals new to anime.
Archean-Return3 hours ago

Shaded Horizon

3 hours ago

May 2019
Yes, it's better than everyone liking the same cookie cutter popular shows all the time.
3 hours ago

Apr 2020
For me developed taste is when you are open to a a lot of genres and different time periods.For example I would be more interested to talk to with someone who have watched different shows from 2000s,90s and 2010s than someone who only watched sci-fi and psychological anime from 90s because the first person probably have seen how different were the whole medium over the decades and since he has a variety of things he is probably more open to different things than the second person.

With that said I agree that a favorites list with variety of shows is way more interesting than a list which is only ''safe'' shows.For example I like Monster and FMAB but a list which has Dennou coil in the favorites will pick my interest more than a list which has the other two I mentioned.
3 hours ago

Feb 2018
Reply to Serafos
Yeah, it's more interesting to watch someone's favorites if they are something else than AoT, FMAB, Steins;Gate, Ping Pong, etc. Those copy and paste lists are just way too common.

@Serafos It's kind of funny because I feel like some people specifically try not to put anything mainstream on their favorites just to seem "different".
2 hours ago

Sep 2018
Well, I can tell that my favorites are way more varied now than when I had 50-100 completed anime and I'm proud of that. I guess the same applies to everyone.

However, on the other hand, there are plenty of anime that I love almost as much as my favorites but are 100x more obscure, so it would be quite easy to "tryhard" if I wanted to make my list of favorites even more unique.
2 hours ago
Walpurgis

May 2023
sure, I like when people think for themselves and don't just put in whatever's popular/"cool"
2 hours ago
Jun 2021
No. I don't see anyone any less valid as a watcher if their favourites are a bunch of mainstream shows. I am not impressed whatsoever if someone's list is full of underground shows. Not everyone gets a kick out of the same things in media.

I'd rather just be true to my self, rather than be embarrased or ashamed that I like my battle shounen.

Nor am I impressed if they've seen 1,000 shows compared to someones 200. When I see someone who's very passionate about a show(s) that's what im impressed by, hence why I watch anime youtubers who only talk about and analyse 1 or 2 anime they expert at talking about.

Also, there seems to be a weird thing going around where, suddenly popular and mainstream suddenly = bad? Where did this come from? Now, yes, popular dosen't = good either, but to say "I will not watch Naruto because it's mainstream" is just try hard AF. The general summary is, if something is getting popular or is popular, ask your self why it has, and see for your self if you too have joined that crowd that's making it popular, a show dosen't just become well known for no reason, so yes, I will watch popular shows. I want to know why its popular and 9 times out of 10, I like it. I don't just sit in denial, wondering if im not unique enough.

2 hours ago

May 2024
My taste in anime is pretty generic tbh. And I don't understand what you mean by "developed" taste.

Let's take someone who may have been watching anime for 2 or more decades and has watched 2k+ anime during their life. What you are referring to as "developed" taste may just be generic to them. Where do you draw the boundary of what can even be considered "developed" taste?
46 minutes ago

Sep 2016
I don't care that much about these favorites in the first place, their importance is way too overrated.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
37 minutes ago

Jan 2021
I try and construct a 3x3 on my favourite of a specific niche rather than overall favourites. What's my favourite comedy, what's my favourite drama, movie, action, psychological and comedy and so on.

I'll try and come up with one.

What would be interesting is having another person construct what they think is in your 3x3.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
34 seconds ago

Jun 2024
I wouldn't mind looking at someone's anime favorites and thinking, wow, I had no idea this anime exists.

More topics from this board

» what anime/s gave you the biggest "HANGOVER" ?

ame - Jul 24

11 by Hikinekomori »»
38 seconds ago

» How many years has it been since you started anime?

nirererin - 8 hours ago

35 by inim »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How many times do you give to a seasonal anime?

Zakatsuki_ - 1 hour ago

13 by Coaghim »»
3 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7295 by akanord »»
4 minutes ago

» Is Precure unpopular?

GinIonSui - 2 hours ago

6 by Ohayotaku »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.