Forum Settings
Forums

'Hyouka' Author's 'Shoushimin Series' Novel Gets TV Anime in Summer 2024

New
Jan 12, 1:00 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan opened an official website for a television anime adapting Honobu Yonezawa's Shoushimin Series (How to Become Ordinary) novel on Friday, revealing the main cast, staff, a teaser visual (pictured), and teaser promo. The anime series will begin airing on the NUMAnimation programming block on TV Asahi and its 24 affiliate stations and BS Asahi in July 2024.

The television anime will adapt the first two volumes—Shunki Gentei Ichigo Tart Jiken (The Spring Special Strawberry Tart Case) and Kaki Gentei Tropical Parfait Jiken (The Summer Special Tropical Parfait Case).

Voice actors Shuuichirou Umeda (Zom 100: Zombie ni Naru made ni Shitai 100 no Koto, Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san) and Hina Youmiya (Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu, Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru) are starring as Jougorou Kobato and Yuki Osanai, respectively.

Staff
Director: Mamoru Kanbe (Subete ga F ni Naru, Yakusoku no Neverland)
Series Composition: Toshiya Oono (Shadows House, Houseki no Kuni)
Character Design: Atsushi Saitou (Love Live! Superstar!!, Black Fox)
Music: Takahiro Obata (Yakusoku no Neverland, Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine)
Studio: Lapin Track (Undead Girl Murder Farce, Sarazanmai)

Yonezawa began penning the youth mystery novel under Tokyo Sougensha's Sougen Suiri Bunko imprint in December 2004, approximately three years after launching the Koten-bu Series (Hyouka). The fourth installment shipped in January 2020, nearly 11 years after the third installment was published in two parts in February and March 2009. The fifth volume, Touki Gentei Bonbon Chocolat Jiken (The Winter Special Bonbon Chocolat Case), is planned for a late April 2024 release. Shoushimin Series has a cumulative 750,000 copies in print.

GFantasy irregularly serialized a manga adaptation of the first installment by Anko Manjuuya from April 2007 to December 2008. A manga adaptation of the second installment by Fua Yamasaki and OmiOmi ran in the same magazine between February 2010 and January 2011.

Synopsis
"Let's help each other and aim to become perfect ordinary citizens."

Kobato, who once had a bitter experience through deduction activities known as "wisdom work," was determined to become an honest and humble citizen. He secretly formed a reciprocal relationship with his classmate, Osanai, who shared the same aspiration, planning to make their high school debut as ordinary citizens and lead peaceful days. However, for some reason, mysterious incidents and misfortunes keep coming one after another into their school lives. Will Kobato and Osanai be able to achieve peaceful days as ordinary citizens?

Teaser PV

Official site: https://shoshimin-anime.com/
Official X (formerly Twitter): @shoshimin_pr

Source: Press Release

Shoushimin Series on MAL
VindstotJan 12, 8:31 AM

Jan 12, 1:15 AM

Jan 2016
I adored the old Hyouka anime! I am so happy about this!
Jan 12, 1:18 AM

Jul 2015
Inject it directly into my veins!

The prophet called it yet again.
https://twitter.com/SugoiBingus/status/1721132340309873024?t=epMIiLRCNblX4mungAAWAg&s=19
PiromyslJan 12, 1:30 AM

Jan 12, 1:35 AM

Apr 2012
At first I wanted to “complain” that they were working on this show instead of a continuation of Hyouka, but then I remembered some insights that there was some kind of misunderstanding between the author and KyoAni and therefore the anime did not receive any further development. Is it so?

But getting back to the show itself, it sounds pretty interesting. I managed to miss school detective anime, especially since I liked Hyouka and the previous anime of this studio.
Jan 12, 1:36 AM

Jan 2021
Bro hated that pink sky and went full on Oreki 💀
Jan 12, 1:37 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
At first I wanted to “complain” that they were working on this show instead of a continuation of Hyouka, but then I remembered some insights that there was some kind of misunderstanding between the author and KyoAni and therefore the anime did not receive any further development. Is it so?

But getting back to the show itself, it sounds pretty interesting. I managed to miss school detective anime, especially since I liked Hyouka and the previous anime of this studio.
@RobertBobert Interesting if there is such a misunderstanding. All I can remember is that there isn't enough material to adapt with and that's why it had an open ending.
Jan 12, 1:44 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Kazari29
@RobertBobert Interesting if there is such a misunderstanding. All I can remember is that there isn't enough material to adapt with and that's why it had an open ending.
@Kazari29 I no longer remember all the details. I once read an article about old KyoAni hits and the reasons why they were either frozen or closed over time (for example, the scandal with Aya Hirano and the loss of relevance of Lucky Star and Haruhi), and it was said casually that the studio and the author did not were able to agree to work on an adaptation or something like that. Since the original novel series is not LN and as people say has a different atmosphere than the anime, I thought that the author had some complaints about KyoAni's classic style, but this is pure speculation on my part.
Jan 12, 2:20 AM

Sep 2013
Interesting, gonna put it into my PTW since I kinda enjoyed Hyouka.
Jan 12, 2:50 AM

Sep 2020
Looks beautiful. Lapin Track you got my attention first Undead Girl Murder Farce and now this.
Jan 12, 3:21 AM

Jan 2020
I had high expectation for KyoAni to make a return this time though, but man I missed Hyouka so much!

I can't wait to watch this on summer.

Jan 12, 3:24 AM
Apr 2019
Can we expect kyoani animation level and storytelling as good as hyouka?
Jan 12, 3:42 AM

Aug 2020
More peak fiction written by Yonezawa being adapted!!

Jan 12, 4:26 AM

Feb 2021
Hope that it will be better than Hyouka!
Jan 12, 5:18 AM
Mar 2023
The staff and the Cast look solid, not to mention second adaptation from Yonezawa Sensei after Hyouka definitely Hype
Jan 12, 5:21 AM

Oct 2017
Bro! I miss Chitanda and Oreki.
Jan 12, 5:57 AM

Apr 2021
I saw the trailers thumbnail on youtube and immediately thought of hyouka

Now i see that it's from the same author
Jan 12, 6:27 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I will be there no matter what
Jan 12, 7:10 AM
May 2013
July cannot come any sooner. Super excited!
Jan 12, 8:05 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Kazari29 I no longer remember all the details. I once read an article about old KyoAni hits and the reasons why they were either frozen or closed over time (for example, the scandal with Aya Hirano and the loss of relevance of Lucky Star and Haruhi), and it was said casually that the studio and the author did not were able to agree to work on an adaptation or something like that. Since the original novel series is not LN and as people say has a different atmosphere than the anime, I thought that the author had some complaints about KyoAni's classic style, but this is pure speculation on my part.
@RobertBobert What happened with Haruhi is that said novel is published by Kadokawa, and KyoAni no longer makes anime for novels that weren't published under their own imprint, as that allows them for greater control in production committees.
Jan 12, 8:09 AM

Jul 2015
Hyouka had great characters but was lacking in terms of plot/romance

I hope this one have a lot of romance
Jan 12, 8:15 AM

May 2020
It's from the same author, so it's worth a shot.

Though in all honesty, hope we would've seen Hyouka making a return instead.
Jan 12, 8:22 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Ionliosite2
@RobertBobert What happened with Haruhi is that said novel is published by Kadokawa, and KyoAni no longer makes anime for novels that weren't published under their own imprint, as that allows them for greater control in production committees.
@Ionliosite2 Including. True, the author focused more on their belief that IP was very much devalued after the infamous eight episodes. Personally, I still want to see the movie and the spin-off from another studio, but I just can't find the mood, even when the author seems to be back in publishing.
Jan 12, 8:29 AM

Aug 2020
Since the Kotenbu Series and Hyouka are amazing, I am sure this series will be just great!

Jan 12, 8:35 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to RobertBobert

RobertBobert said:

Yes, and the novel doesn't have enough material for a second part. It's been 7 years or so and still nothing of the next volume.

Jan 12, 8:38 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to KitsuFrost
RobertBobert said:

Yes, and the novel doesn't have enough material for a second part. It's been 7 years or so and still nothing of the next volume.
@KitsuFrost Has the author lost interest? Or did he never have plans for this? I've heard that KyoAni has a tendency to make anime based on a small amount of material and then expand on it themselves, but as far as I understand, they didn't publish it...
Jan 12, 8:42 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@KitsuFrost Has the author lost interest? Or did he never have plans for this? I've heard that KyoAni has a tendency to make anime based on a small amount of material and then expand on it themselves, but as far as I understand, they didn't publish it...
@RobertBobert I don't know much about to be honest, but I find this odd since it's been more than 20 years and we had only 6 volumes so far. KyoAni covered 4 volumes in 22 episodes, so I suppose they would need an equal amount of material for a second season. As someone who read the series and watched the anime, I can say the adaptation was indeed very creative and even enhanced some scenes and relationships that weren't that fleshed out in the original material.

Jan 12, 8:48 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to KitsuFrost
@RobertBobert I don't know much about to be honest, but I find this odd since it's been more than 20 years and we had only 6 volumes so far. KyoAni covered 4 volumes in 22 episodes, so I suppose they would need an equal amount of material for a second season. As someone who read the series and watched the anime, I can say the adaptation was indeed very creative and even enhanced some scenes and relationships that weren't that fleshed out in the original material.
@KitsuFrost Well, I'd be lying if I said I was an ultra-hardcore Hyouka fan, although I do love high school detective stories. But god, the how strong withdrawal symptoms I'm feeling due to the lack of new KyoAni anime. I'm even afraid to continue watching their shows that I haven't finished yet, because after that I won't have any content left that I can watch at any time.
Jan 12, 11:35 AM

Jul 2014
Closest thing we're gonna get for hyouka s2 😭

Haven't read or watched anything else from Honobu Yonezawa so I'm excited how this one will turn out
Jan 12, 1:18 PM

May 2021
This one looks interesting even when it's far outside of my usual genres.
Jan 12, 1:40 PM

Jul 2020
This will be awesome! Having read the novels as far as there English TL goes, if they stick to the source it will be fantastic. Shoushimin has a bit more of a psychological twist to it than Hyouka does, and the story has some very interesting twists to say the least. Like Hyouka, you can expect a very grounded and realistic story, but this one is a BIT lighter on the slice of life elements.

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Jan 12, 4:37 PM

Feb 2023
Hmm, interesting premise. I might as well add this to my PTW.
Jan 12, 9:20 PM

Jan 2023
I saw this appear on my home page and my first thought was "Why does this remind me of Hyouka?". Lo and behold, it's from the author. Sign me up.
Jan 13, 9:24 AM

Jun 2019
Are these like a discount Oreki and Chitanda?

I would rather have Hyouka season two!
Jan 13, 9:47 AM

Jul 2021
now announce hyouka season 2. i mean there's at least 3 more books as far as i remember.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 13, 2:13 PM

May 2020
Nice! I'm gonna watching it while airing, the author being the same one who made Hyouka is the main reason why tbh. Maybe this can turn out to be great

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Jan 17, 6:17 PM

Feb 2012
Can yall explain to me what is this about Hyouka season 2 or just a new anime?
Jan 17, 10:01 PM

May 2009
Reply to Amble
Can yall explain to me what is this about Hyouka season 2 or just a new anime?
@Amble Different series by the same writer.
Yesterday, 2:52 PM
Sep 2022
Can't wait to watch this!

Also, it is better to write BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!! instead of Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru for Youmiya Hina because she is one of the main cast. She's known for Anna Yamada and Tomori Takamatsu after all.
Yesterday, 2:56 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to KeepCalmAndMal
Can't wait to watch this!

Also, it is better to write BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!! instead of Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru for Youmiya Hina because she is one of the main cast. She's known for Anna Yamada and Tomori Takamatsu after all.
@KeepCalmAndMal My GO was extremely popular among its target audience, but the show was not as well known among normies.

More topics from this board

» Studio Bind Adapts 'Hana wa Saku, Shura no Gotoku' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

44 by Ryuseishun »»
9 minutes ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets Second Anime Season

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

17 by tragedydesu »»
1 hour ago

» Bones Produces 'Gachiakuta' TV Anime Adaptation for 2025

Vindstot - Yesterday

20 by Haneken2086 »»
2 hours ago

» 'NEET Kunoichi to Nazeka Dousei Hajimemashita' Announces Additional Cast for Winter 2025

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
3 hours ago

» 'Sengoku Youko: Senma Konton-hen' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Character Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by ryoko6 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.