Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2023 8:10 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
We would like to update our community about a cyberattack that occurred on the morning of May 10, 2023 PDT.

What happened?
A malicious individual overwrote anime database information to modify all titles to "Let's All Love Lain". User scores were also tampered with. Additionally, a javascript alert was inserted to display a pop-up to users who visited their profile or list during the attack.

Our website, apps and APIs were put into emergency maintenance as soon as the attack was discovered.

Is my information safe?
Our investigation did not reveal any data breach of our users' personal information.

The databases have been restored to the last backup taken before the attack:
 • May 9, 2023 at 9:43pm PDT (see in your timezone)

Unfortunately, any updates made between this time and the emergency maintenance (~8.5 hours) will need to be added again. This includes list updates, forum posts, about me edits, etc.

What will happen with Fantasy Anime League?
The game will proceed as usual. We are aware that the emergency maintenance will have had a negative effect on the episode discussion points some anime may have earned. It is an unfortunate situation without a clear resolution, so we have decided to continue without modifications.

The FAL website will be online a few hours at this announcement was made.

When will I get my 【OSHI NO KO】 badge?
The badge release schedule will be a bit delayed. We will post an update in the club soon.

Thank you to everyone who sent us encouraging messages on our SNS accounts during the emergency maintenance. Your patience and support was much appreciated.

We're happy to be back!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 12, 2023 8:11 PM

Oct 2020
^ go outside have some vitamin d
May 12, 2023 8:14 PM

May 2016
It's a shame how many people feel the need to harass anime sites just to flex their muscles to distract the people from their fragile glass like heart.
May 12, 2023 8:15 PM

Dec 2021
StormSky92 said:
Pretyped this comment in notepad so I could copy/paste it in hopes of this getting as much attention as possible because fuck this site and fuck DeNA(owners of the site) in particule.

How many times is this now that MAL has gone down for an extended period of time because of a security breach? It's been many. I'm surprised this wasn't yet another multi-week one. I sure expected it from the start. It is truly patheic that the site continues to have issues with being hacked. What the hell is the site administrators even doing? Not giving a shit about cyber security, that's for damn sure. But what else should I expect from a site that just implied dark mode for the first time only a few months ago despite users asking for it for over 10 years. If it takes them 10 years to figure out dark mode, protecting the site from hackers is truly out their league.

The users should absolutely be furious about this. The hackers may not have gotten any sensitive information this time but that may not be the case the next time this inevitable happens again. Maybe having some credit cards stolen would have caused some users to break up with this abusive relationship we all have with this site. Again, it's patheic that no matter who owns the site it's keeps getting hacked. If you actually give a shit about this site I implore you to STOP SPENDING MONEY HERE. DeNA does not give a shit about this site outside of milking the users for money. There are other anime tracking sites that have come out over the years that are better than MAL but never got the traction since MAL was just first to really get big. Anilist and Kitsu come to mind. The speed it takes to get submissions approved is lightyears faster on anilist and if you read a lot of manga that isn't on MAL, use anilist instead.

But anyway, stop spending money on a site that can't pay for competent cybersecurity. I'm personally quite glad I use adblock on this site. There is clearly no cyber security budget and DeNA doesn't give a shit about trying to modernize the site. A multi-million(billion?) that can't keep it's site safe and up and running consistently. I swear this happens ever year. "BuT OtHeR CoMpAnIeS gEt HaCkEd!!!!111" yeah but it doesn't cause their sites to go down for days on a yearly basis. We, the users, need to demand better and use MAL's competitors if they continue to not be able to deliver. No one should have any confidence in MAL keeping their information safe.

So again, fuck DeNA for their clearly not giving a shit about protecting the site and only caring about money through subscriptions and deals they've made with various other companies to advertise and sell stuff through the site. They don't care about putting any money towards anything that would make the site better and more secure. I've been saying development/cyber security "team" but it's probably just a couple people with how bad they are at their job and how long it takes for this site to get even the slightest update. Just goes to show that every site truly loses it's soul when it sells out. And what have you gotten for it in the past 8 years? Certainly not a better site. Looks the same as it did 8 years ago. But hey dark mode, I guess.

To the Admins, stand up and demand your corporate overlords do better. And to all users: demand better from the admins so maybe they'll actually grow a spine. Or go somewhere else. Speak with your wallets. Stop giving DeNA money. Because i'm sure this will happen again. And it may be more than just anime datebases and user scores next time.
bro touch some grass and get a life

Oct 2013
Good y'all got stuff working again, hopefully things calm down shortly! Also hopefully stuff like this calms down in the future, wish y'all luck! Thank you for working this out! Be safe!
Jul 2018
and you don't seem to understand
May 12, 2023 8:17 PM
Discord Moderator
Zero Two simp

Oct 2019
thank you for the hard work! i'm very happy MAL is back up so soon.

May 12, 2023 8:18 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
StormSky92 said:
Pretyped this comment in notepad so I could copy/paste it in hopes of this getting as much attention as possible because fuck this site and fuck DeNA(owners of the site) in particule.

How many times is this now that MAL has gone down for an extended period of time because of a security breach? It's been many. I'm surprised this wasn't yet another multi-week one. I sure expected it from the start. It is truly patheic that the site continues to have issues with being hacked. What the hell is the site administrators even doing? Not giving a shit about cyber security, that's for damn sure. But what else should I expect from a site that just implied dark mode for the first time only a few months ago despite users asking for it for over 10 years. If it takes them 10 years to figure out dark mode, protecting the site from hackers is truly out their league.

The users should absolutely be furious about this. The hackers may not have gotten any sensitive information this time but that may not be the case the next time this inevitable happens again. Maybe having some credit cards stolen would have caused some users to break up with this abusive relationship we all have with this site. Again, it's patheic that no matter who owns the site it's keeps getting hacked. If you actually give a shit about this site I implore you to STOP SPENDING MONEY HERE. DeNA does not give a shit about this site outside of milking the users for money. There are other anime tracking sites that have come out over the years that are better than MAL but never got the traction since MAL was just first to really get big. Anilist and Kitsu come to mind. The speed it takes to get submissions approved is lightyears faster on anilist and if you read a lot of manga that isn't on MAL, use anilist instead.

But anyway, stop spending money on a site that can't pay for competent cybersecurity. I'm personally quite glad I use adblock on this site. There is clearly no cyber security budget and DeNA doesn't give a shit about trying to modernize the site. A multi-million(billion?) that can't keep it's site safe and up and running consistently. I swear this happens ever year. "BuT OtHeR CoMpAnIeS gEt HaCkEd!!!!111" yeah but it doesn't cause their sites to go down for days on a yearly basis. We, the users, need to demand better and use MAL's competitors if they continue to not be able to deliver. No one should have any confidence in MAL keeping their information safe.

So again, fuck DeNA for their clearly not giving a shit about protecting the site and only caring about money through subscriptions and deals they've made with various other companies to advertise and sell stuff through the site. They don't care about putting any money towards anything that would make the site better and more secure. I've been saying development/cyber security "team" but it's probably just a couple people with how bad they are at their job and how long it takes for this site to get even the slightest update. Just goes to show that every site truly loses it's soul when it sells out. And what have you gotten for it in the past 8 years? Certainly not a better site. Looks the same as it did 8 years ago. But hey dark mode, I guess.

To the Admins, stand up and demand your corporate overlords do better. And to all users: demand better from the admins so maybe they'll actually grow a spine. Or go somewhere else. Speak with your wallets. Stop giving DeNA money. Because i'm sure this will happen again. And it may be more than just anime datebases and user scores next time.
Would you prefer that they not say anything, like what Google usually does? Do you know how often Google gets hacked, leaves its site up, and does not say anything? Go outside and touch some grass, dude.
May 12, 2023 8:20 PM

Dec 2018
Seems like notifications for watched threads isn't working again.

Jun 2019
Good to see the site back and running. Hope something like that never happens again. Keep up the good work.

Oct 2013
It's awesome that MAL has returned and there was a relatively not old backup copy of data ready to be restored. Thanks for all effort put into bringing MAL back.
Nov 2018
StormSky92 said:

Agreed. 
May 12, 2023 8:22 PM

Sep 2017
StormSky92 said:

I wanna believe chatgpt wrote this.
May 12, 2023 8:32 PM
Oct 2019
Thank god is back.

I didn't realize how much i using MAL on daily basis 😭
May 12, 2023 8:32 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
This crap needs to be reported to the FBI and lawsuits need to be filed. Make an example out of these people. MAL isn't just a website anymore, it's a business with investors and money to be made. 
May 12, 2023 8:37 PM

Jun 2017
Thank you for all your hard work bringing MAL back online!
May 12, 2023 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
tysm for keeping us updated.
hope all is well with the team.
May 12, 2023 8:41 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Queen_Galaxia said:
Seems like notifications for watched threads isn't working again.
Sorry, it seems it will take about another 1 hour for notifications to be up and running again.
May 12, 2023 8:41 PM

Apr 2020
Remember to keep backups everyone, I'm glad there was no data loss.
May 12, 2023 8:46 PM

Sep 2017
StormSky92 said:

A down to Earth answer. Good Job.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
May 12, 2023 8:47 PM

Jan 2022
Lain fans are insane

こんにちは はじめまして
さようなら またあした
@suenagaharuto
May 12, 2023 8:51 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Haven't seen this since 2018. I know some Lain fans can be super schizo, but this is a whole other level.

Glad to see my cubbyhole is still in tact.
May 12, 2023 8:53 PM

Nov 2011
I missed MAL, thanks for all your effort to bring it back. best wishies to the haters. so boring read a long text to a complain. so just let them be.
Thanks you again to comeee back <3
Love & Peace!
May 12, 2023 8:54 PM

Jan 2015
Thank you. 🙏
May 12, 2023 9:05 PM
Apr 2020
Thanks for the hard work!
We realized that this problem was serious, I'm glad they fixed the error

Cheers from 🇧🇷
I'm a penciller (comic & manga artist) and I love Gunpla & scratch build.
My best work in scratch, Kaneda bike
..._ _ _...

Click 👆 to see my profile
May 12, 2023 9:09 PM

Aug 2021
More like serial experiments LAME am i right?
May 12, 2023 9:09 PM

Jul 2022
Between this website's archaic infrastructure and the authoritarian AniList moderators, its better to just migrate my list offline instead to be honest.
May 12, 2023 9:13 PM
Kuroni_Kuru

Dec 2020
Glad y'all got the site fixed. Keep up the good work! :3
(I have no idea why people are saying that MAL gets hacked frequently. I'm on here almost-daily, and in all the years that I've been on MAL, I've never once seen a hack of this magnitude, LOL.)
Formerly known as Kuroni_Kuru
May 12, 2023 9:16 PM

Mar 2008
I know for a fact, the larger a company is, the more likely they are to be targets of hacks. MAL is no exception. I applaud MAL for taking their site down and doing a full restore from backup. Unfortunately, no amount of security and preventative measures can 100% stop hacks. Reminds me of having any type of IT support on hand. If nothing goes wrong, those who hired them asks why they even need them or pay them. Likewise, if something goes wrong, they say the same thing.

Welcome back everyone.
May 12, 2023 9:23 PM

Feb 2020
And we are back. :)

Good job!
May 12, 2023 9:24 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Happy to see everything back to normal! This issue was a reminder to me that I should back up my lists more often. 
May 12, 2023 9:33 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Lain is one of the worst anime ever made, but putting that aside, welcome back MAL.
May 12, 2023 9:40 PM

Aug 2019
I didn’t realize how much I rely on this site for everything anime related until now, like I’ll be watching a show and want to check who voices what character then would go onto this site and see the emergency maintenance note

glad to see the site is back up
May 12, 2023 9:41 PM

Dec 2018
Congrats on getting the website back online! Hope the devs can get some well deserved sleep now ^_^. Don't mind the hate, it's bond to come in a situation like this, just know that we understand how critical the situation was and we appreciate your work. Thank you guys <3
May 12, 2023 9:51 PM

Aug 2015
that felt like forever.. but good to back on MAL!
May 12, 2023 9:54 PM

Jan 2009
maybe a complete rewrite of the website with ChatGPT or even Bard is better at this point with all the security weakness of this website lol
May 12, 2023 9:55 PM

Nov 2019
Dulonkk said:
Between this website's archaic infrastructure and the authoritarian AniList moderators, its better to just migrate my list offline instead to be honest.

Yeah anilist fucking sucks, the moderators are pathetic
May 12, 2023 9:56 PM

Nov 2019
Cladocera said:
TomatoSempai said:
A down to Earth answer. Good Job.
Ah yes a "down to earth" answer coming from someone who actively advertises a competitor site like anilist (which was tooootally never down because of anything, ever), surely no misinformation, bias and exaggeration whatsoever here.

He's right though.
May 12, 2023 9:59 PM

Dec 2013
Welcome back!!

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 12, 2023 10:03 PM

Apr 2022
Imagine giving your credit card information to MAL.
May 12, 2023 10:03 PM

Jan 2009
StormSky92 said:
fuck DeNA(owners of the site) in particule.

Media Do owns MAL now and not DeNA https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1761837
May 12, 2023 10:08 PM

Oct 2021
StormSky92 said:

EDIT: Been getting messages about how MAL isn't a multi-billion dollar company when i'm obviously referring to DeNA, the company that owns MAL.

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/DENA-CO-LTD-6497537/news/DeNA-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-and-Fiscal-Year-2022-Financial-Results-43797184/

"DeNA reported full year IFRS revenue of 134.9 billion yen"

https://companiesmarketcap.com/dena/marketcap/

"As of May 2023 DeNA has a market cap of $1.70 Billion. This makes DeNA the world's 3937th most valuable company by market cap according to our data. The market capitalization, commonly called market cap, is the total market value of a publicly traded company's outstanding shares and is commonly used to measure how much a company is worth."

Ehhh. I'd rather migrate my lists to AniDB or offline than to Anilist. Mods there are fucking toxic and heavily promote cancel culture.
May 12, 2023 10:10 PM

Feb 2021
It's quite sad that some of the replies that I received got deleted before I could read them...
May 12, 2023 10:20 PM
Mar 2016
for some reason I'm the lucky one. I didn't open myanimelist site during the time it was attacked. I just happened to open my phone app but I saw "let's all love lain" I felt like hmm perhaps I should check back later. And later when I open the site on pc and at that moment I saw maintenance. well.
May 12, 2023 10:22 PM

Mar 2021
Lainpocalypse lmao
May 12, 2023 10:23 PM
May 2019
Ah, it's finally back up. I use this daily gosh😩
May 12, 2023 10:25 PM

Dec 2013
Glad everything is back. A couple of days without MAL was interesting especially since i started watching the whole spring season this week. Though I wonder why the hacker chose lain of all things? I love the show too but I wouldn't hack a whole website over it. 
May 12, 2023 10:28 PM

Feb 2016
Was getting PTSD from the maintenance shutdown from 2018 lmao. At least it wasn't long like back then 
May 12, 2023 10:30 PM

Nov 2019
Zetsu_95 said:
Was getting PTSD from the maintenance shutdown from 2018 lmao. At least it wasn't long like back then 

heard the one back in 2018 lasted 6 months 💀
May 12, 2023 10:36 PM

Aug 2020
So glad that MAL is running again!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

410 by clane34 »»
5 hours ago

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

120 by jkim »»
Jul 25, 5:35 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

248 by nanajp »»
Jul 20, 2:48 AM

» Forum Conversation View: Now available ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Aug 29, 2023

180 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jul 19, 6:04 PM

» Clubs Have a Brand-New Look—In-App!

Kineta - May 15, 2022

46 by YourFriendHolly »»
Jul 9, 9:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.