Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 14, 2023 11:01 AM

Apr 2018
Ever wanted Anime to remain niche??
Mar 14, 2023 11:03 AM

Jan 2009
why is your post count stuck at 2999? are you hacking the website or its a bug?
Mar 14, 2023 11:07 AM

Feb 2021
We get more anime today because the industry has grown both inside and outside of Japan. 

Whether that's a good thing is up for debate, but I just think that many famous anime wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for the popularity of anime increasing over the past few years. 
Mar 14, 2023 11:15 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
its everyday bro
with the anitwitter flow
A Billion viewers since lockdown
Never done before

Mar 14, 2023 11:16 AM

Sep 2010
The only thing I want is for twitter and reddit users to stay the fuck away from anime.
Mar 14, 2023 11:18 AM

Oct 2010
I wanted AD to remain niche but here's dragevard
Mar 14, 2023 11:26 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, obviously. This site is now infested with moral police who bitch about things that have always been a part of anime and stuff that makes anime, well, anime. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 14, 2023 11:35 AM

Jan 2021
ateks said:
The only thing I want is for twitter and reddit users to stay the fuck away from anime.
I prey to the anime Jesus that they stay far far away, however each day they slowly advance. They took my vidya games... but anime that'll be our final stand. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 14, 2023 1:39 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Human Bug experiment is better than demon slayer

human bug human bug human bug..

Mar 14, 2023 1:41 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
deg said:

Is that even possible to hack these days? Or it's a bug that's gonna effect us all in the long run

Mar 14, 2023 1:43 PM

Mar 2018
Tropisch said:
Yes, obviously. This site is now infested with moral police who bitch about things that have always been a part of anime and stuff that makes anime, well, anime. 

Agreed. I worry they’ll pander more and more to the western audience until it becomes basically a western show but with anime style art. I want shows like K-on, love live, date a live which would never be made for a western audience
Mar 14, 2023 1:49 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
By the time I started watching, it was not niche, no I have no opinion.
Mar 14, 2023 1:50 PM

Aug 2021
I guess a part of me says yes, because tbh, I enjoyed being in a small, close community of people who enjoyed the same thing, and there wasn't fighting over minute things such as shipping. Say what you want, but fuck, man, early Tumblr was fantastic for that kinda shit-- we all just enjoyed what we did and knew how to use the block button when we saw someone doing something we didn't like or want to see. People who argued with others over small shit (and let's be honest, it's always shipping, and not even shit that's a little awkward, it's like...two fully grown adults) were laughed at, and now they're revered as heroes. It's bogus. 

But

Without it getting as popular as it is now, I don't think we would have as many as the cool things as we do now, such as more merch, more friends to make, and even new shows to love. So I guess it's a two-way street, a ying with a yang, etc. 
Mar 14, 2023 1:50 PM

Jan 2009
ryo-san said:
deg said:

Is that even possible to hack these days? Or it's a bug that's gonna effect us all in the long run

ive got nothing but questions too to be honest damn, he is making a lot of threads but still his post count stays at 2999
Mar 14, 2023 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
I'm so glad it's not niche anymore. I get along so much better with lot of the "the normies" than with most actual weebs.
They are actually interested in all media and not want anime to be that kind of circlejerk medium that only beats up the same tropes over and over again.
Mar 14, 2023 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
Sometimes yeah. The anitwt is some of most boring people who complains about so many "problematic" stuff (on their heads). I miss the 2010s
Mar 14, 2023 2:05 PM

Sep 2018
I do not want it censored by outsiders, but I prefer it be financially successful so series can actually get finished.
Mar 14, 2023 2:26 PM

Oct 2013
Eh, I think going mainstream has its upsides and downsides.

On the one hand, more money and more anime being made

On the other, the west pops in and wants to make some of our anime normie shit

So it kinda cancels out each other
Mar 14, 2023 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
I don't wish anime was niche because we have a lot of great people here that might not of been watching 5 or 10 years ago. However I wish people getting into Anime stop pushing "western ideals and moral" into anime. People complaining about fanservice and such but don't understand that the show their watching isn't catered to them, it's catered to a teenager so to speak. A lot of people need to understand that Anime isn't catered for western culture and it's up to us to understand it.

Not saying there aren't some sus thing in anime but people need to get over it
Mar 14, 2023 2:51 PM

Nov 2013
Daily reminder that anime was never niche in some parts of the world. Or at least not in the past few decades.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 14, 2023 3:07 PM

Jun 2017
Anime hasn't ever really been Niche since i've been watching. (The early 2000's pokemon craze)
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Mar 14, 2023 3:36 PM

Feb 2014
Firstly I don't know any anime that is niché right now that has a shot at getting popular or mainstream. If it's niché then it's niché for a good reason.

Secondly, if there was one then I would want it to be niché by default, because there is nothing more annoying than mainstream fanbases. And the same can be said for anime as a whole.
Mar 14, 2023 3:36 PM

May 2020
Most anime and manga are niche anyway. Only a few can actually be considered mainstream, and only current seasonals become sub-mainstream.
Mar 14, 2023 3:52 PM

Jul 2022
Every day. I can't stand normies who don't like the medium they claim to be fans of.

As someone else already pointed out, they complain about stuff that's been a part of the medium for decades and want it changed for their tastes. If that's not being entitled, I don't know what is.
Say-My-NameMar 14, 2023 4:02 PM
Mar 14, 2023 3:59 PM

Jul 2022
dadnaya said:
Eh, I think going mainstream has its upsides and downsides.

On the one hand, more money and more anime being made

On the other, the west pops in and wants to make some of our anime normie shit

So it kinda cancels out each other

The cons outweigh the pros in this case.
Mar 14, 2023 5:36 PM
Dec 2018
Only for the reason of "woke" people complaining about series like Berserk.
I've been watching anime for the last 23 years and reading manga for the last 15-16 and I just understand that THIS IS A PRODUCT THAT COMES FROM ANOTHER CULTURE
So not everything has to or will align with my personal preference or belief.
I can have an opinion but that doesn't give me the right to try and remove something because I personally don't agree with it.

Too many keyboard warriors thinking everything can be fixed by "cancelling" that doesn't solve the problem, it just teaches people discussions aren't important and that everyone should live in fear lol.
Mar 14, 2023 6:01 PM

May 2020
It's good as long as going mainstream doesn't start to dictate the anime that gets produced itself.

Maybe try sleeping?

Mar 14, 2023 6:16 PM

Sep 2021
No. More popular means more money which means more anime and higher quality. I don't know if you are looking for some kind of secret club membership so you feel more special for being one of the chosen. But that has nothing to do with quality entertainment.
Mar 14, 2023 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
Gantz-613 said:
Only for the reason of "woke" people complaining about series like Berserk.
I've been watching anime for the last 23 years and reading manga for the last 15-16 and I just understand that THIS IS A PRODUCT THAT COMES FROM ANOTHER CULTURE
So not everything has to or will align with my personal preference or belief.
I can have an opinion but that doesn't give me the right to try and remove something because I personally don't agree with it.

Too many keyboard warriors thinking everything can be fixed by "cancelling" that doesn't solve the problem, it just teaches people discussions aren't important and that everyone should live in fear lol.

Bro, I'm one of the people, who were complaining about the graphic rape scenes in Berserk.
Not everyone has a black-white mentality tho and the same should go for you. Just because someone criticizes some elements in a medium, they don't automatically want to burn the whole thing down.
There are lot of people, who are not like that. You just prefer to view everyone as "keyboard warriors" and you don't want to read any kind of criticism.
Mar 14, 2023 6:22 PM

Jul 2013
Ever wanted Dragevard to stop posting??
Mar 14, 2023 9:50 PM

Jul 2019
Trust me, besides mainstream shows, mangas, and even Light Novels, this entire medium's still niche. General anime watchers don't watch or read anything that's beyond what's popular. 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Mar 14, 2023 9:56 PM

Nov 2021
Gatekeeping anime is fun

"im such a quirky anime otaku i watched attack on titan and demon slayer hahaha im so weird right guys?"
Mar 14, 2023 11:04 PM
Feb 2022
I wouldn't say I wanted it to stay niche, but I do wish it was not popular as it was currently at least when it comes to mainstream anime because I would argue that non mainstream anime are still kind of niche. So, kind of how anime was perceived back like a late 2000's to mid 2010 where it was not niche, but it was not super popular either I really thought that was a good time for anime discussion in my opinion. 
Mar 14, 2023 11:27 PM

Feb 2023
Yes. Anime has gotten a lot less fun for me ever since it went mainstream. I miss the anime and the fandom from around the mid-2010s. All of these new fans that started from like 2019 to the present were people who bullied anime fans in the past. Now, they claim that they've always been "big anime fans", even though they only watch anime that are mainstream and heavily Western influenced. They also usually only watch anime dubbed, and not subbed.

I know several people who had bullied me in the past for liking anime, and now they act like I've never heard of it before, and claim that they've "always secretly been a fan".

So yes, I wish anime did stay niche. It was a lot more fun back then.
Mar 14, 2023 11:52 PM

Oct 2013
Even though anime has become more mainstream than it was in the West, let's say, over 25 years ago, just as @LordSozin has noticed, it's still quite niche, compared to other types of shows and if we exclude everything having any relation to anime (so mangas, light novels, webcomics, merchandise, etc.).

But to answer the question: no, the more people, the better. It's easier to find cool people to discuss with about your favorite shows that way.
Mar 15, 2023 12:31 AM

Apr 2022
I'm on the middle ground on that both happy to share anime loves with more people than before and annoyed by people who says things like "i've watched the first two seasons of Naruto i feel so otaku now because i liked it!"...because wtf. It may be over mainstream and annoying now but most people just here for hype will go elsewhere with time. Just like the sudden every one is a geek moment of 2012 or so. Now i would fond hating on people who like only one anime or only a few and are noob to it pretty dumb as long as they are not annoying they're welcome to watch and enjoy as many anime they want as casually as they wish but yeah it's hard and frustrating when you try to share lesser known shows with most anime fan to their total disinterest if this is not one of the big name shonen. But it is less that they are newbies that they are so not curious that i dislike then. And yes i do find discussions with more seasoned anime viewers more enjoyable overall but i guess its because they are more probably going to get me into new shows i dont know and could like to try.

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

Mar 15, 2023 1:34 AM

May 2019
No never, higher popularity means more revenue and better products by the anime companies.
Mar 15, 2023 5:05 AM

Mar 2023
ForgotEyeWasHere said:
Yes. Anime has gotten a lot less fun for me ever since it went mainstream. I miss the anime and the fandom from around the mid-2010s. All of these new fans that started from like 2019 to the present were people who bullied anime fans in the past. Now, they claim that they've always been "big anime fans", even though they only watch anime that are mainstream and heavily Western influenced. They also usually only watch anime dubbed, and not subbed.

I know several people who had bullied me in the past for liking anime, and now they act like I've never heard of it before, and claim that they've "always secretly been a fan".

So yes, I wish anime did stay niche. It was a lot more fun back then.

Same , I see the same people liking anime right now who hated it back then , I remember being such a lonely kid back in middle school because nobody wanted to talk to me about anime, I was never bullied, but I was always ignored whenever I talked about anything related to anime and dismissed and people acted like anime is cartoon meant for kids, it was really hard at first to see the same people liking it , and up until the lockdown era I used to feel a bit angry because these same people acted like they were always fans , in a way I really miss those middle school days of me watching anime with my twin brother and now I see almost everyone into anime, doesn't help either that these people never got to know how difficult it was to watch anime those days, there was a time when I ran away from school to watch my favourite anime on the telivision, now everyone can stream on their devices , people today don't even realise the value of watching anime on the telivision, it was like a dream come true to come from school and watch your favourite anime, to wake up a bit early to watch your favourite anime and to sleep really late to watch your favourite animes, I definitely miss those days and always get nostalgic about them.
Nowadays, I don't get much time to watch them and whenever I want to , I can watch them on my mobile but the same magical dream come true feeling is completely gone now.
In a way , it's really nice to find some like minded people though because even though there are a lot of people who only watch them just because they are in trend , there are definitely people who genuinely like them and it's really fun to discuss stuff with them.
Anime becoming mainstream has it's pros and cons just like everything. And at the end of the day anime is just a form of medium for entertainment like movies and TV shows for everyone so it was bound to get more popular and it should have gotten popular even back then. But I still sometimes get sad because our small anime community really had to suffer those days , but still we were really happy back then too in a lot of ways.
akaya-absolMar 15, 2023 5:11 AM
Mar 15, 2023 6:36 AM

Jan 2021
never, don't get anything by it, just less people to talk about it with
Mar 16, 2023 12:38 AM

Dec 2013
It really doesn't matter. I didn't have anyone to talk with about anime back when it was niche and I don't have anyone now.

More topics from this board

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

96 by ColourWheel »»
4 minutes ago

» What's one anime or character in your favorites you wish had Ecchi or Hentai scenes for officially?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 6

18 by ZXEAN »»
6 minutes ago

» What is your first impression on studio (part-6) : KYOANI? ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Jan 9

56 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

54 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is sound design in Anime

ST63LTH - Yesterday

16 by mo_lave »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.