Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, the animation style, soundtrack, and even narration hit the mark for this season so far. The opening few minutes gave me some legit chills. 

This episode details the harsh life for Einar, especially when the vikings took over. Just another reminder that anything can happen in their world in a split moment. A really impressive start imo. Felt like a mini movie and the soundtrack is amazing. 

May 2020
It's been over 3 years since the conclusion of that masterful adaptation of Vinland Saga and now after the wait which felt like forever, finally season 2's underway, with a timeskip.

We got a glimpse of him in the last minutes of the final episode back in the first season, but here he is in the flesh, Einar. Now i’m not sure if it was the original content Mappa put when we started with Einar’s past life in most probably northern England, since it’s been some good time I last read this arc but if it was then it’s some damn fine way to show the miseries this man’s been through, as he’s going to be one of the most vital characters going forward. Man’s mother died, vikings slashed his sister to death right before his eyes and he was taken as a slave… that’s the cruelty of their world, and this season going forward.

After becoming a slave, there’s only one fate awaiting these people. To be sold or be bought by someone, as it did with Einar too. With Ketel buying him and taking him along to his farmlands in Denmark.. where thus he meets the man, Thorfinn. It’s the start of Ketel’s farm arc and the greatness.

OP’s fire, ED’s fire. It’s the premiere of the season already. You just can't go wrong with right things, ever.

Man's looking like life's been sucked out of him.. damn

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Softhenic03Jan 9, 2023 8:05 AM

Jul 2017
Mangaka Makoto Yukimura's Vinland Saga is back, 3 years later! And now courtesy of MAPPA, keeping Wit Studio's Attack on Titan style alive with this continuation worth of massive hype.

Anonymouz's OP is deep though, and LMYK's ED is pretty much the same.

We end the prologue of Vinland Saga with Season 1, and this new life that's still wrought of life and death from the perspective of the new Farmland character: the slave Einar, growing up in their home village until it was invaded by the Danish, resulting in the demise of his family and said man ultimately being sold into slavery, being chiseled as a slave for purchase and running away to live on his own survival, he couldn't run away no matter how hard he tried.

The hope for Einar to be freed after seeing this old man that's looking for Thorfinn, he was bought by Ketil instead to be brought back to his Jutland farm in Denmark, it reminds him of his family back in Northern England, and this would be the VERY FIRST time that he meets Thorfinn.

What a gruesome prologue for the main guy that that would shape up Thorfinn's life later on, this is just the very start, refreshed once again. The story of Thorfinn's redemption and Einar's salvation, BEGINS NOW.

THE HYPE IS BACK and let the FARMLAND SAGA BEGIN!
KANLen09Jan 14, 2023 5:00 AM

Jun 2019
And... here it is. Farmland Saga aka Peakland Saga has begun. It's been more than three years and I'm so glad that it's finally back. The story takes a very different direction from now on going forward in comparison to the first season. Einar is such an intriguing character. But it was so sad to see him lose his family like that. Can't wait to see more of him but the situation of those slaves was really harsh and how they were treated but that's what you can expect from that time.

The animation in this season just looking at this episode looks improved and I'm very happy about it. And, we also got to see Thorfinn in the end. Props to Shuhei Yabuta and his team at MAPPA. Amazing first episode. Loved it. That OP and that song were so fricking beautiful. And, even that ED song with those visuals was incredible.I'm so hyped for this season.

Jul 2021
It’s great for Vinland Saga to be back with a 2nd Season! After the neat conclusion of the prologue,  the author further presents a more fleshed out perspective on Thorfinns’ journey but this time, as a slave… That’s very expected though after Askeladd’s death, Thorfinn really had nothing to do in pursuing a will of revenge since Canute take the charge, and well Thorfinn did kind of attack back Canute which is the answer as to why he take into an enslavement account under master Ketil as a punishment perhaps. 

Also I don’t remember a shit that Einar had a backstory involving his family in the manga but it was sort of a way to flesh out his character that made me appreciate more of his character and it’s relieving that there is someone that can accompany Thorfinn throughout this whole journey; Einar’s unawareness to the living condition that could lead to boundaries is pretty much a first time thing and I could tell that both characters suffer heavy casualties, got no help because mfs out there (who are not slaves but bunch of shitbags) are fighting for their lives as well, have similar goals, and now they both are serving as slaveries but I’m buying the teamwork out of both of them so each of their own so they can pursue freedom and privileges, likewise for supporting their families who has their own respective jobs that doesn’t involve anything too harsh. I love the ED for this one the most, LMYK is gradually gaining some recognition since her ED debut in Vanitas No Carte 1st Cour, it gave me chills. I don’t expect much animation since it’s a new whole world honestly but god the wheat looks gorgeous. 
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 9, 2023 8:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It's back! The budget seems to be bigger than the last time around and the OP is a banger. I'm really curious about how people will react to this arc. It's going to be an interesting mixture of love and hate I bet.

I'm so happy for my man Makoto Yukimura. His finest work is getting a worthy adaptation. And yes, there are some small changes to the manga, but they are positive additions to the story.
FarabeufJan 9, 2023 9:53 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 9, 2023 8:49 AM
Jun 2022
Peakland is back ladies and gentlemen we have AOTY right here.
Jan 9, 2023 8:51 AM

Oct 2017
Glad this series is back! The animation and soundtrack is really good so far.
Jan 9, 2023 9:02 AM
May 2022
letsgoooooo finally!

Jan 9, 2023 9:03 AM
Dec 2019
Amazing, the animation is on point. Seems like this season will definitely not disappoint!
Jan 9, 2023 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
peak is back...hope it delivers 4/5
Jan 9, 2023 9:05 AM
Oct 2020
What a brutal way to start the week eh?
Damn every aspect of this season was stepped up. Can’t wait to flare the journey.

Totally expected this rating lol

Jan 2009
the backstory of Einar is never revealed in the manga right? so this is a nice filler or bonus
Feb 2022
The first episode is awesome.. MAPPA supremacy.
Jul 2022
this shit is perfect
Jan 9, 2023 9:06 AM

Jul 2017
Vinland Saga is back and it is still (maybe more) beautiful. Animation, OSTs, Directon basically everything looks as it should be. New OP and ED are so good. Farmland Saga has begun!
Jan 9, 2023 9:09 AM

Dec 2020
Holy what a atmospheric and beautiful episode the animation are outstanding.
This is a hard life for this einar he lost his mom and sister and he can’t do anything.
Thorfinn at the end nice so i really must say this was great ed and op.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jan 9, 2023 9:10 AM

Jan 2019
Peak has returned.

Love the additional content, expanding more on Einars past and his family was really well done, we really get an insight on more of the trauma and motivations that Einar has. OP was aesthetically pleasing and the ED was the highlight song-wise. Gotta love the Norse quotes included too.

Overall, absolutely loved it and is a perfect intro to the best anime this season and the next.
Jan 9, 2023 9:11 AM
Jul 2021
Absolute fantastic
Jan 9, 2023 9:13 AM
Oct 2020
wow its back, after almost 3 years of waiting!!
First episode was great, and it looks like this season will be Peak
Jan 9, 2023 9:13 AM
Feb 2018
Already starting off with a bang. God, this season will be so fucking good. The music, atmosphere even Einar's story, it sets the theme up so damn well.
Jan 9, 2023 9:16 AM
Jan 2021
I really loved what they did to einar's character which wasn't in the manga. Visually it looked fantastic and music is S tier like always.
Jan 9, 2023 9:16 AM

May 2021
Opening and ending are perfect like in cour 1. Im in love
Jan 9, 2023 9:17 AM
Nov 2020
Amazing I was so happy they used the osts from the first season !
Jan 9, 2023 9:18 AM
Aug 2016
Peakland Saga is back, with the most anticipated arc which is the Slave arc, also known as Farmland Saga. I have no idea what happens in the story and am going completely blind, but I do know that it's gonna be very philosophical. If it turns out to be as philosophical as the Vagabond Farming arc, this is truly gonna be peak seinen for sure. Einar's story was hard to watch, felt as we are rewatching Thorfinn's story, but a quicker version. Leif is still searching for Thorfinn, and Einar meets Thorfinn in the farm, and based on the name of the next episode, it seems that the name of the owner is Ketil. He looks like a nice guy (for now at least). 

deg said:
the backstory of Einar is never revealed in the manga right? so this is a nice filler or bonus
Wait what?! Bruh if this is true it's honestly nice context given to Einar's character. Just one episode and I already like Einar. 

5/5 episode. 
KoustubhJan 9, 2023 12:45 PM
Jan 9, 2023 9:19 AM

Jul 2022
Stark700 said:
Holy shit, the animation style, soundtrack, and even narration hit the mark for this season so far. The opening few minutes gave me some legit chills. 

This episode details the harsh life for Einar, especially when the vikings took over. Just another reminder that anything can happen in their world in a split moment. A really impressive start imo. Felt like a mini movie and the soundtrack is amazing. 

It's funny, that last scene (Einar meets Thorfin) gave me some crazy chills, like WTF am I getting goosebumps? 

Brilliant first episode took me by the scruff of my neck and shoved me back into this story on a Monday morning. Hell yes.
Jan 9, 2023 9:20 AM

Nov 2016
"Say it with me"

"Peakland Saga is back"

From the opening to the directing, the entire production is so damn good.

Fated meeting at the end gave me goosebumps. I can't wait for more.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 9, 2023 9:21 AM
May 2021
I dont need to say so much, this is my favorite manga and i will enjoy the season 2 has a child with a candy
Jan 9, 2023 9:22 AM
Aug 2020
Softhenic03 said:
It's been over 3 years since the conclusion of that masterful adaptation of Vinland Saga and now after the wait which felt like forever, finally season 2's underway, with a timeskip.

We got a glimpse of him in the last minutes of the final episode back in the first season, but here he is in the flesh, Einar. Now i’m not sure if it was the original content Mappa put when we started with Einar’s past life in most probably northern England, since it’s been some good time I last read this arc but if it was then it’s some damn fine way to show the miseries this man’s been through, as he’s going to be one of the most vital characters going forward. Man’s mother died, vikings slashed his sister to death right before his eyes and he was taken as a slave… that’s the cruelty of their world, and this season going forward.

After becoming a slave, there’s only one fate awaiting these people. To be sold or be bought by someone, as it did with Einar too. With Ketel buying him and taking him along to his farmlands in Denmark.. where thus he meets the man, Thorfinn. It’s the start of Ketel’s farm arc and the greatness.

OP’s fire, ED’s fire. It’s the premiere of the season already. You just can't go wrong with right things, ever.

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Has he looked like he's had any life in him since he was a child with his family?
Jan 9, 2023 9:25 AM

Apr 2013
The OP is calmer than both from season 1 but it’s still a certified banger and fits this season’s mood perfectly. And then Einar’s flashback to begin the episode had me feeling some type of way, shed a few man tears for my bro.

What a way to start season 2! All glory to the staff who are giving Makoto Yukimura an amazing adaptation of his work whether it’s under WIT or MAPPA. I’m not ready to see Farmland fully animated... weekly chills for 24 episodes with another masterpiece soundtrack it seems.
Jan 9, 2023 9:25 AM
Jan 2018
The narrative as well as the sound tracks are excellent.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Jan 9, 2023 9:26 AM
Feb 2021
KneelBeforeMe said:
The OP is calmer than both from season 1 but it’s still a certified banger and fits this season’s mood perfectly. And then Einar’s flashback to begin the episode had me feeling some type of way, shed a few man tears for my bro.

What a way to start season 2! All glory to the staff who are giving Makoto Yukimura an amazing adaptation of his work whether it’s under WIT or MAPPA. I’m not ready to see Farmland fully animated... weekly chills for 24 episodes with another masterpiece soundtrack it seems.

so glad to be alive rn this episode was perfection
Jan 9, 2023 9:26 AM
Oct 2016
Vinland Saga coming in strong making me cry almost instantly. Seeing the backstory or Einar is immensely powerful. Its almost like a backdoor pilot storytelling way of getting us to where Thorfinn is now. Einar has experienced many hardships as we were shown. Losing his mother and sister like that, having to just leave them in the woods unable to give them a proper burial. Einar being broken over time as he becomes more conditioned to be a slave. Trying to run away but being faced with the harsh reality that running away would just be worse than staying as a slave. Heeding those words his mother said to live, no matter what live. If you live you have a chance to keep going. Einar had nearly gotten to the point of just putting his head down and living as a content slave the rest of his life. He almost was ready to be used so long as he could live. But now meeting Thorfinn things enter a paradigm shift. I also must point out how incredible the opening and ending songs are, they're both beautiful music and haunting visuals. Already shaping up to be possible anime of the year.
Jan 9, 2023 9:32 AM

Apr 2019
Jaw on the floor the whole episode. I cannot wait for the rest.

Jan 9, 2023 9:35 AM

Feb 2022
The production level of this chapter is simply impressive, was it worth waiting so long? the answers is yes

Einar's story is quite sad but from what I would think he is going to do well on the farm with Thorfinn
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Jan 9, 2023 9:36 AM

Mar 2020
Vinland Saga is back, and man, I have missed it so much. The unforgiving world is such a joy to see, and seeing Einar's struggles as the Danish invaded the village was quite thrilling and emotional. Time passes, and Einar was set to be sold as a slave, and a certain old man comes along (might that be Leif Erikson?) looking for Thorfinn. Einar eventually gets bought by Ketil to a farm where he'll be put to work, and fates collide as Thorfinn was there too.

A brutal, and emotional start to what's certainly going to be a different arc compared to Season 1, but I'm enjoying it all the same. The OP was good, but the ED was on a different level. Looking forward to more!
Jan 9, 2023 9:37 AM
May 2020
It was awsome,I am really interested in how Thorfinn ended up being a slave,and I think Einer and Thorfinn will hate each other,but understand each other in the end.Can't wait to see Canute and Thorkell.
Jan 9, 2023 9:39 AM

Jan 2019
Peak fiction just returned today, huh?!
We barely have been introduced to Einar and we've already saw him going through so much brutal stuff in just one episode. Good to see Thorfinn at the end tho, and I really really enjoyed the opening visuals.
neffst3rJan 25, 2023 3:51 PM
Jan 9, 2023 9:42 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was freaking awesome. So dark and sad. But it is not all over yet. Like wow. So many characters that I recognize and hope to see again. One of them is going to be here now and forever as always. Einar looks like he will be friends with Thorfinn. I hope they will find a way out.
Jan 9, 2023 9:43 AM
Jan 2017
This season is so gonna be good, one of the best spiritual and philosophical journey of protagonist in anime
Jan 9, 2023 9:46 AM
Apr 2019
New character, nice
Jan 9, 2023 9:47 AM

Jul 2015
The episode focused on an entirely new character and it was still mesmerizing.. Freaking Hell..

This animation reeks of Mappa passion and effort.. while the OP/ED were so-so but the visuals were nice.. I'll give them that!

Anyways, Peakland saga is finally fking back.. Gonna reread the manga cuz This is where the Vinland truly begins!
Jan 9, 2023 9:48 AM
Nov 2021
The Bgm throughout the episode is just too good.
Jan 9, 2023 9:48 AM

Aug 2022
Holy shit. This was amazing. I can already see that this is going to be my favourite anime of the season.
Jan 9, 2023 9:49 AM
Oct 2022
Opening visuals are stunning but yeah MUKANJYO is peak.

Did not expect 1st episode itself to be this much brutal .

Einar's life went quickly from "how worse it can be " to" is this even a life "
Jan 9, 2023 9:50 AM
May 2021
Softhenic03 said:

can you explain without getting much into spoilers why thorfin is working for farmer? how did he end up like this

Jul 2014
Huge potential coming. I can't wait for the rest of the season
May 2021
KANLen09 said:
Mangaka Makoto Yukimura's Vinland Saga is back, 3 years later! And now courtesy of MAPPA, keeping Wit Studio's AOT style alive with this continuation worth of massive hype.

Anonymouz's OP is deep though, and LMYK's ED is pretty much the same.

We end the prologue of Vinland Saga with Season 1, and this new life that's still wrought of life and death from the perspective of Einar, growing up in his village until it was invaded by the Danish, resulting in the murder of the rest of his family and said man ultimately being sold into slavery, being chiseled as a slave for purchase and running away to live on his own survival, he couldn't run away no matter how hard he tried.

The hope for Einar to be freed after seeing this old that's looking for Thorfinn, he was bought by Ketil instead to be brought back to his Jutland farm in Denmark, it reminds him of his family back in Northern England, and this would be the VERY FIRST time that he meets Thorfinn.

What a gruesome prologue for the main guy that that would shape up Thorfinn's life later on, this is just the very start, refreshed once again. The story of Thorfinn's redemption and Einar's salvation, BEGINS NOW.

THE HYPE IS BACK, and let the FARMLAND SAGA BEGIN!

why is thorfinn working for farmer tho?
Jan 9, 2023 9:52 AM
Mar 2021
The pinnacle of human creation. All those years of near-extinction from which we were just barely saved by evolved genetic mutations and adaptability to extreme conditions; all those generations of people who died working towards a future where people didn't have to fear about survival; all those billions of years from the conception of the earth up until now: it was all so that Makoto Yukimura could write the Slave Arc of Vinland Saga and so that we could be free enough to watch its adaptation at last.
Jan 9, 2023 9:53 AM

Nov 2021
I love the soundtrack and damn the quality has improved. Loved the episode 5/5. FARMING ARC BEGINS 
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2023

188 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2023

176 by FarCritical »»
Jun 11, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2023

172 by FarCritical »»
Jun 10, 9:33 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2023

193 by FarCritical »»
Jun 10, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2023

252 by FarCritical »»
Jun 10, 11:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.