Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 20, 2022 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
Welp, the threat of Shanon but be over for now but the overall mystery still remains in the show. Looks like Shu, Kisara, and others have been on the move to go deeper with the investigation.

Not going to lie, this was somewhat of a boring episode. Ayano in those glasses though.
Aug 20, 2022 10:25 AM

Feb 2021
The plot twist at the end there...
Aug 20, 2022 10:26 AM

Jul 2017
So, all along, with the info that Shu was getting, was it a cop-out based on a demon's will, or just a plain human being a mediator?

No doubt that with Hamamura's sudden murder, there's lots of speculations to be had. But when it comes to asking Shu to recollect his memories, they cannot reveal the fact, but rather, ask Kisara to intercede instead...which by involving Ayano, means that the suspect list grows and more clarifications needed. The only one that has the full rundown is Sharon, which explicitly mentions about the consequences of letting Kisara kiss him in exchange for power and loss of memories.

And just when the answer's about to be revealed with Detective Mikami, the perpetrator got him, and it turns out to be the scrappy rich kid trying to court Kisara and her friends earlier in the show: Mikhail. But too bad, as much as he's not the criminal they have been looking for, Mikhail's been the informant helping Shu out, and the one that's running the entire Bayron City operation on the sidelines, so he's labelled as a good guy.

Be careful, enemies can be friends that are super close to you.
Aug 20, 2022 10:55 AM
May 2022
That has to be illegal with the plot twist.
Aug 20, 2022 11:04 AM

Nov 2011
I guess Sharon was right all along...An Arsonist will be at a house fire and here we are with that cliffhanger...damn It makes sense. I wonder what Sharon told Shu at the end though. I hate the mouth moving no words non-sense.

Mikhail actually pretty important and knowledgeable after all. Shocking.

Rip to our boy Mikami.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 20, 2022 11:21 AM
Mar 2020
MadanielFL said:
The plot twist at the end there...

Yeah, animation wise I thought it was different person, but appearantly not.
Aug 20, 2022 11:23 AM
Jun 2019
Man, that detective was pretty stupid. But to be honest, it was pretty cliche. Like oh, he finds out the truth and tries to tell who the mysterious person is, but gets killed. That’s super cliche. Instead of wasting time saying meaningless stuff over the phone, he should have said the name. Like “x is the culprit.” But no, he wastes time blabbering about MEETING him in person to tell him the name instead of just telling him the name over the phone, then MAYBE meeting him in person and discussing it.

Although the culprit was still revealed at the end, the previous point still stands. I just hope they actually explain how Shu got the answer, so it doesn’t fall on some plothole bs.

Sigh. RIP Mikami. He didn't deserve such a betrayal.
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Aug 20, 2022 11:42 AM

Jul 2022
Yup. Now I'm sure. Bayron is a metaphor for America.
Aug 20, 2022 11:49 AM

Jul 2022
Joey-XD19202 said:
Man, that detective was pretty stupid. But to be honest, it was pretty cliche. Like oh, he finds out the truth and tries to tell who the mysterious person is, but gets killed. That’s super cliche. Instead of wasting time saying meaningless stuff over the phone, he should have said the name. Like “x is the culprit.” But no, he wastes time blabbering about MEETING him in person to tell him the name instead of just telling him the name over the phone, then MAYBE meeting him in person and discussing it.

Although the culprit was still revealed at the end, the previous point still stands. I just hope they actually explain how Shu got the answer, so it doesn’t fall on some plothole bs.

He considered the possibility of being tracked, hence he tried meeting him in person.
Aug 20, 2022 12:01 PM
Jun 2019
theassholeofmal said:
Joey-XD19202 said:

He considered the possibility of being tracked, hence he tried meeting him in person.

I don't man. Nothing suggests that he thought of the possibility of being tracked. I don't think it was mentioned in one of their meetings. You're just putting words in his mouth. And even if he was being tracked, what would happen? The tracker would just know that they found the culprit, and....what? I'm not trying to sound aggressive by the way. They were even being tracked in the first minutes of the episode.

Edit: I just rewatched the scene when he got shot. When he says "oh" we can infer that's when he meet the shooter in his car. THEN he had the time to say "I was one step too late huh?" He should have just said "x is the culprit," which I believe should be around the same length as what he said in Japanese.
Joey-XD19202Aug 20, 2022 12:08 PM
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Aug 20, 2022 12:03 PM
Oct 2020
I knew exactly what was going to happen as soon as Miles left the room. The detective finds something and then dies before saying anything important. They really made it obvious that it miles before shu just saying it was him. Didn't expect that the informant was going to be blond boy though
Aug 20, 2022 12:10 PM

May 2020
Leaving the usual clichés aside, last few minutes really did redeem.
Aug 20, 2022 12:19 PM

Jul 2022
Joey-XD19202 said:
theassholeofmal said:

I don't man. Nothing suggests that he thought of the possibility of being tracked. I don't think it was mentioned in one of their meetings. You're just putting words in his mouth. And even if he was being tracked, what would happen? The tracker would just know that they found the culprit, and....what? I'm not trying to sound aggressive by the way. They were even being tracked in the first minutes of the episode.

Edit: I just rewatched the scene when he got shot. When he says "oh" we can infer that's when he meet the shooter in his car. THEN he had the time to say "I was one step too late huh?" He should have just said "x is the culprit," which I believe should be around the same length as what he said in Japanese.

You're right with the last part. But honestly, who cares. We got the answer by the very end. Would have been a matter of concern if we were made to wait until the next 20 episodes like Fullmetal Alchemist.
Aug 20, 2022 12:19 PM
Jun 2019
theassholeofmal said:
Joey-XD19202 said:

You're right with the last part. But honestly, who cares. We got the answer by the very end. Would have been a matter of concern if we were made to wait until the next 20 episodes like Fullmetal Alchemist.

Yeah, you're right, I was just saying.
Aug 20, 2022 12:53 PM

May 2021
Great episode! Kisara cried whilst chopping the onions and it took me a while to realise it was the onion's fault xD. Sharon is an idiot who tries to act cool. Kisara and Shuu had the guy surrounded and it was... Mikhail. They thought he killed Mikami but he showed them his card to prove them wrong. Of course, they didn't fall for that and knocked him out xD.
Seems he thought he was acting popular...
He takes them to a place to prove his innocence. His surveillance footage even extended to his sister's shower lol.
'Is that why you killed him Miles?'

Looking forward to the next episode!
Rem4lifexDAug 20, 2022 1:09 PM
AISHITERU...REM!
Aug 20, 2022 1:16 PM

Sep 2020
Wow, there are so many unexpected things in this episode, especially that ending reveal, it reminds me of erased for some reason.
Aug 20, 2022 1:18 PM
Aug 2017
It becomes every times more interesting.
Aug 20, 2022 1:36 PM

Feb 2019
A-1 Saturdays continue! Just now getting around to the ep after getting back from DB Super, let’s get into it.

God I wish Ayano would look at me like that

No really, she’s perfect

Not a lot of action today, but the chase scene was very well animated and some nice Kisara sakuga

Miles killing off Mikami was not something i expected! That whole truck ride on the freeway lulled you to sleep for that reveal.

Nice set up episode for what should be a wild next episode with more action hopefully!
Marinate1016Aug 20, 2022 1:49 PM
Aug 20, 2022 2:08 PM

Jun 2017
Good one, I didn't think the "friendly" fat black dude would be the bad guy. I still think the incoming demon is Shuu's little sister, hence why she is sealed the same way with the spear Kisara was with her sword. She became a demon likely during the original tragedy already.
Aug 20, 2022 2:17 PM

Jul 2015
It became obvious the moment who the killer was the moment Shu entered Miles care and we saw the Ayano's being worried..

Especially their convo of "feelings"
Aug 20, 2022 2:41 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Man, it did hurt to see Detective Mikami die, I really liked him and was enjoying seeing him, Shu and Miles run around trying to solve a mystery, but being a detective can definitely shorten your lifespan lol, but still sad to see him go. And I’ll say, I definitely didn’t expect Miles to be the killer and the one behind the demons, but the moment Shu pointed him out as the killer was a really cool moment and a big cliffhanger.

Among other unexpected developments, Mikhail not being a ditzy rich kid was cool to see, and the fact he’s also been Shu’s secret informant this whole time and has been doing so with a massive camera system was a cool reveal as well, I didn’t dislike him before but gotta say I like him now lol. And Sharon giving Shu the hard truth was great to see, it does seem to be what Kisara is trying to do to a degree.
Aug 20, 2022 3:15 PM
May 2017
Stark700 said:
Welp, the threat of Shanon but be over for now but the overall mystery still remains in the show. Looks like Shu, Kisara, and others have been on the move to go deeper with the investigation.

Not going to lie, this was somewhat of a boring episode. Ayano in those glasses though.

i partially disagree because its only the beginning part is the boring part but when the spy thing comes it became a great episode especially the second half and the plot twist at the end

Aug 20, 2022 3:54 PM

May 2013
The promised reveals didn't disappoint, never expected mikhail nor miles. The sight of the sister being chained up in something what looks to be the demon realm was really creepy. Really looking foward to how she will look, tsunako's skills don't really come to fruition so far expect kisara's design. Speaking of her she at least provided some laughs as always in a mostly uneventful episode, her straight on pointing at ayano for being the suspect are moments why I love the slapstick parts and their rivalry so much. Also lol at shu more or less unintentionally giving away important knowledge of the overal plot during his memory sacrificing trip, too bad kisara can't filter memories while taking them lol
Aug 20, 2022 4:28 PM
May 2022
i’ve been too distracted by the mid romcom elements of this show to look into the mystery element too deeply, now i feel kinda stupid
Aug 20, 2022 5:15 PM
Jun 2022
damn I didn't miles would be the trader
Aug 20, 2022 5:27 PM

Jun 2015
Miles, sweet baby Jesus dressed as Mohammad riding a shark! Why!!!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 20, 2022 5:58 PM
Aug 2019
wtf they have cameras even in the bathroom, that's gross lol. Besides that, I probably didn't paid enough attention because didn't expect at all Miles being the bad guy. Poor Mikami, he was betrayed by his own friend :( Also, it's sad since didn't he said that he took care of Shu for like a year?
Aug 20, 2022 6:44 PM
Apr 2022
Joey-XD19202 said:
theassholeofmal said:

hé was too shocked that a close friend had to kill him, that's why hé just give up
Aug 20, 2022 8:46 PM

Jun 2021
Junya seems to have just been a pawn for this real agent (working for Asmodeus)? What a complicated situation this is turning to be. What a time for Ayano to walk in though. So much for their top secret meeting lol. I’m not sure asking your suspects if they’re the baddie is the best course of action. No one’s gonna be like “oh yeah, I’m the one you’re looking for!“ lol.

Sharon’s got a point about Shu and this deal. I don’t think you can pick and choose which memories to delete without that having a greater effect. But anyways, that hint is interesting. The agent really was among them the entire time. Figured it was Miles that killed the dude after the security footage. Damn man… I liked Mikami too.

But the DG was freakin Mikhail? That guy? Really?? This dude’s spy network is so comprehensive, he’s even peeping on his own sister in the bath lol. Damn dude.

I wonder how Shu is gonna deal with this Miles thing next week.
Aug 20, 2022 11:08 PM
May 2022
Let's be real, the real Culprit was predictable AF. Whenever you have someone with a "secret identity", it's usually someone close to the MC.

Still, a decent plot twist. RIP Mikami. Best buddy ever!
Aug 20, 2022 11:12 PM

Jul 2012
This city is a pure surveillance state. A panopticon.
Aug 21, 2022 12:16 AM

Oct 2016
Goddamn, the twists. Great episode! RIP to my man Mikami, he was a real bro. Though we lost one bro, we gained another. I can't believe Mikhail's the fucking informant lmao and they got surveillance of everything, by everything I mean everything.

Damn it Kisara, give me back the sadness I felt when I thought you were tearing up for Shuu, though she probably really is deep inside, but that was still funny.

So it was Miles all along, it only really clicked with me at Mikami's funeral. I wonder what that glowing tattoo is all about, he also visited what I assume is Shuu's sister. Looking forward to see what his motivations are.
Aug 21, 2022 12:24 AM

Jan 2021
Both LycoReco and Engage Kiss had some pretty big episodes this week. A-1 Saturday's keep getting better

Aug 21, 2022 1:23 AM
Apr 2021
What a roller coaster
Aug 21, 2022 1:35 AM

Oct 2017
Mikhail was the informant and the general too. What he's doing though. Miles being the culprit was made obvious this episode.
Aug 21, 2022 3:47 AM
Oct 2014
ULTRA MEGA PISSED MILES U BACKSTABBER MIKAMI TRUSTED U if u cant tell I wanna sock Miles ^-^
Aug 21, 2022 5:13 AM

Aug 2013
that ending was so obvious since sharon gave away that big hint.
Aug 21, 2022 6:13 AM

Sep 2018
Cue the, "so predictable" quotes from all those watchers who didn't predict it ;-)

And the onion slicing scene was straight up the best misdirection in this episode.

Nice assist from Sharon, I'm getting the sense she's pretty pissed off about Shuu's intimate memories of her being taken.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Aug 21, 2022 7:07 AM
Aug 2017
That twist and cliffhanger, oh my gosh I need to watch the next episode right now!

From the summary of episode 9, it seems like the next episode will bring more pain and tears as Shu has to give up everything for his fight. I wonder who is going to suffer the most from his sacrifice? I have a feeling that the people who loves him will be the ones who suffer the most. Kisara was already shedding tears when Miles called Shu senile, and I am sure it wasn't the onion that caused it.

And it turns out that Mikhail is the secret informant all along, who actually guessed that correctly? And he is also just like Batman - acting as a useless rich playboy but is secretly watching over the city 24/7/365.

Mikami's death and Miles betrayal must have been a huge blow to whatever is left of Shu's humanity. The only man who trusted him and is willing to work together to uncover the truth behind his family's tragedy has died, and it turns out that his adopted father was the one to have betrayed him and possibly murdered his parents. How much worse can Shu's life get?
Aug 21, 2022 8:52 AM
Nov 2019
This is why I don’t follow ratings on mal… this isn’t 7.0 rating anime but hey that’s my opinion… I noticed sci fi will never be as popular as isekai fantasy… medieval 🏰 stuff…. Sadly

It’s probably not the best but deserves higher rating…
Aug 21, 2022 9:10 AM

Jan 2009
RIP Mikami

so the suspect all along is Miles
Aug 21, 2022 9:21 AM

Oct 2008
w0w they got me right there! i totally didn't expect that the culprit/murderer would be the bald head police officer...damn! tsk tsk tsk
5/5.

Aug 21, 2022 3:13 PM

Jan 2020
Poor Mikami. I didn’t expect he’d be killed this quickly, that too by his friend. Towards the end tho I did predict it correctly tho
Aug 21, 2022 3:58 PM

May 2021
milles been the traitor all along? lol
Aug 21, 2022 4:45 PM
Aug 2019
Interesting! zsbd
Aug 21, 2022 4:52 PM

May 2013
Only now came to me that miles is also the hooded person shu was searching for since I don't know, since he started the demon hunting? So basically miles is also indirectly responsible for shu sacrificing so many memories up to now, only thing left is if he is also the one who killed his family, he at least is involved it seems in the sister's survival and whatever he plans to do with her too. Damn that's messed up, I really wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that miles and shu's father were partners in demon research but he backstabbed him and put all the blame of the mine accident on shu's family
Aug 21, 2022 5:43 PM

May 2021
All of your personal text messages and even your bathroom being under scrutiny is totally my idea of freedom.

Aug 21, 2022 6:56 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yeah that guy has always been just ever-so-slightly sus right from the start

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 21, 2022 7:41 PM

May 2019
Wow we got two shocking reveals in this episode! I didn't think that Mikhail would be the informant, he does his role of looking like an arrogant idiot pretty well, and Miles being the traitor, wow. I guess no one knows Shuu and what happened to his family better than Miles, damn, and I figured that Shuu thought of him as a father figure since he raised him for a year, what a shame. With the next episode titled, "Without Understanding the Tears Shed" it sounds like it's going to be an emotional rollercoaster.
Aug 22, 2022 1:58 AM

Nov 2012
the most announced revelation of the year! how dare u did that with the character

My Candies:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» season 2, just a thought (frieren continuation to engage kiss)

weeaboo5008 - Jun 10

4 by 1Accelerator »»
Jun 11, 1:42 AM

» will engage kiss get season 2 in this year or it is still not  confirmed by official sources

FL-SYNC - Mar 26, 2023

45 by deg »»
Jun 10, 12:15 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2022

132 by susEtrashWeeb »»
Jun 4, 9:24 PM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2022

78 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Engage Kiss Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2022

93 by spicarie »»
Apr 17, 12:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.