Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 1, 2022 8:40 AM

Jul 2021
Once I started watching Sakura Quest, because the premise sounded interesting. I mean it's wacky, a girl working as a Queen to revitalize a small village country's tourism is total nonsense, but tourism management could be interesting. But the comedy got really tiring after like 5 episodes. And when I gave Shirobako a try, that was basically just Sakura Quest again, except with the characters making anime, so I didn't even make it far enough, to really claim I have given it a fair chance.

But then Shiroi Suna no Aquatope happened, and that eventually made it into my favorites, since the show is just way too relateable, and "not being funny" became one of my selling point for it oddly enough... It's the third PA works show on this list about similar topics, and the least funny of them all is my favorite.

And now I'm watching Planetes, and it's nice having a mostly realistic sci-fi, but the comedy is hard to get through...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 1, 2022 9:24 AM

Mar 2012
From the recent ones I've watched, Vanitas no Karte, the comedy doesn't blend in and just ruins everything, it's not even funny.
May 1, 2022 9:28 AM

Oct 2018
Almost all battle shounen would be better without the comedy.

Kimetsu no Yaiba becomes several times better when Zenitsu isn't in the screen or when he's asleep.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 1, 2022 9:47 AM
May 2021
I know it is very unpopular opinion but I think fruit basket comedy is horrible even worse than demon slayer.
May 1, 2022 9:49 AM

Aug 2018
FMAB's comedy is exactly one joke. Repeated many times over and over again several times per episode.
May 1, 2022 9:51 AM
Oct 2020
I wish Vanitas no Karte had no comedy, given the genre and the dark content
May 1, 2022 9:54 AM

Jan 2013
Only the stuff that's actually supposed to be darker, the comedy in Akame Ga Kill was so fucking tone deaf.

NoBoDY-5 said:
I know it is very unpopular opinion but I think fruit basket comedy is horrible even worse than demon slayer.
Let's hear some examples, I don't recall having strong feelings one way or the other when it came to the comedy.

Phosphophyllita said:
Almost all battle shounen would be better without the comedy.

Kimetsu no Yaiba becomes several times better when Zenitsu isn't in the screen or when he's asleep.
Comedy isn't the problem in shonen, it's the timing, I don't recall having a problem with the comedy in JJK, but it was just awkward in Demon Slayer.

epidemia78 said:
FMAB's comedy is exactly one joke. Repeated many times over and over again several times per episode.
That's a massive exaggeration, but it is fairly slapstick reliant, as many shonen comedies so often are.
LostSpectreMay 1, 2022 9:58 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 1, 2022 10:03 AM

Jul 2021
@epidemia78 Your pfp reminded me, Kobato was one anime I dropped because it tried too hard to be funny and wholesome.
May 1, 2022 10:04 AM

Feb 2010
Basically no show I can think of. Comedic relief is an inherent part of life and characters interacting and I never cared whether it actually makes me laugh unless the show is an actual comedy where that is the main thing it's trying to do. It just feels more natural to have some comedy in interactions than people just being serious and dramatic all the time. On the contrary, I have a harder time taking shows serious that completely lack any comedic relief. Who acts like that? Who never makes a stupid joke with their friend or siblings, or to distract themselves from a serious situation? It's the natural, human thing to do and I always found it strange when people criticize shows for having any amount of comedic relief or about 'comedy ruining serious moments'. If anything it makes those serious situations more believable and relatable because that's how humans react in those situations.

I just feel like people who frequently get annoyed by any comedic relief probably just don't have much of a sense of humour in general and are the same people that would take a joke from a comedian out of context to make a twitter rant about them. Basically the opposite of me, I love comedy and can't remember many, if any, examples of being bothered by it in storytelling even if it didn't make me laugh. It's part of human nature, and finding that cringeworthy and being 'unable to sit through' a couple of comedic moments in a show that spends 99% of its time on other things is kinda sad imo.

Especially for shows like Sakura Quest or Shirobako or Planetes, I don't even remember them having much comedy at all, certainly not to a noticable extent where it would define the viewing experience. I cried multiple times during Shirobako and remember it mostly as drama/workplace slice of life hybrid that taught people a lot about the anime industry. Of all the things I cared about and paid attention to in these shows, comedy would not even be in the top 10, maybe not even on the list at all.

So I'd say it takes a certain amount of nitpicky-ness to drop something for minuscule amounts of inoffensive and forgettable comedic relief. When you don't like the comedy in an actual comedy show where that's the bulk of the entertainment value, then of course it makes sense to drop it but getting hung up on it in a show where it's not even the 10th most important aspect of the show is something I will never understand.

I'm just happy I'm not afflicted by the same condition of being anti-comedy and am free to enjoy anime instead even if the characters act like normal humans and occasionally crack a joke that won't make me laugh out loud. It's not like I drop my friendships when my friends make bad jokes either. It's just a part of their character/personality, a part of being human and I see it the same way in fiction and I find it very weird to find that unbearable to watch.

Now if we're talking about quantity and repetetive running gags that are unfunny, I would agree that some shows could tune it down a bit. We don't need the same joke in every episode when it was barely funny from the start. But every 5 or 10 eps? I don't mind that at all. But completely without comedy? That's just weird and stiff and seems like the worst option for the majority of shows that I can think of.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 1, 2022 10:07 AM

Aug 2016
FMAB and Chrono Crusade would be much better off with the comedy being toned down, or at the very least not putting comedy scenes in the middle of otherwise serious moments.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
May 1, 2022 10:09 AM

Aug 2018
JaniSIr said:
@epidemia78 Your pfp reminded me, Kobato was one anime I dropped because it tried too hard to be funny and wholesome.

That's a needlessly convoluted way of saying you have shit taste
May 1, 2022 10:16 AM
May 2021
@LostSpectre I don't remember all of them but I'm taking about scenes like this
May 1, 2022 10:17 AM

Jan 2013
NoBoDY-5 said:
I really don't think you can argue that this is indicative of the series overall, that's easily the most annoying character in the entire show.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 1, 2022 10:20 AM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
JaniSIr said:

That's a needlessly convoluted way of saying you have shit taste

You can't just go ahead and call my taste shit, only I can call my taste shit.
May 1, 2022 10:26 AM

Sep 2008
There's a good number of shounen titles I'd probably have better reception to, if not for the awkward timing and obnoxiousness of their comedy scenes.
May 1, 2022 10:26 AM

Sep 2018
- most Bones anime (Vanitas no Karte being the worst offender)
- most comedy + slice of life anime
- 3-gatsu no Lion (that's why the manga is better)

Didn't have any problem with Sakura Quest, and Shirobako just has a couple of bad jokes towards the end.
May 1, 2022 10:30 AM

Jan 2021
MHA is way better when its being dark and dramatic. The lighthearted and funny scenes always feel like a drop in quality for me.
May 1, 2022 10:32 AM

Jan 2022
Demon slayer,
It's comedy just sucks. That shits full of lame and cringey jokes
May 1, 2022 10:34 AM

Nov 2021
LostSpectre said:
NoBoDY-5 said:
I really don't think you can argue that this is indicative of the series overall, that's easily the most annoying character in the entire show.

oh yes ritsu's voice actor didn't do a good job either, all that screaming was really fucking cringe-y
May 1, 2022 10:35 AM

Aug 2021
Would enjoyed YLIA more without the comedy
May 1, 2022 10:41 AM

Jul 2017
Wouldn't really say many series would be better without comedy as a whole, just the timing of the comedic scenes. For instance something like Black Lagoon has no reason to include comedy in it, but when it does it usually works pretty well

things like hellsing ultimate, FMAB, trigun, detective is already dead (i think?), Shadows House, Taishou Otome, and even Golden Kamuy at times (though this is not as bad) I feel have comedic scenes that were placed poorly in the context of the scene
May 1, 2022 10:45 AM

Feb 2021
Demon Slayer and Naruto. Both have garbage comedy and would have been better off without it

May 1, 2022 10:49 AM

Dec 2019
The comedy in bleach was awful and most things make me laugh lol
May 1, 2022 10:52 AM

Jul 2021
Hmm I would say in the overwhelming majority of cases in which comedy is the problem the actual issue is not its presence but rather its quality. Thus very few anime would be better off without any comedy whatsoever.
May 1, 2022 10:57 AM

Oct 2020
A large part of the shonnen shows.
I mean having it here and there is fine with me, but i'm pfetty sure every modern day shonnen has soms comedy mixed in there
May 1, 2022 11:21 AM

Sep 2020
I mean there's a lot wrong with No Game No Life and all, but it's attempts at humor bout made me have another brain aneurysm.
May 1, 2022 11:29 AM
May 2022
almost all of them. i always look for anime without comedy bc i think it's pretty boring most of the time. i kind of hate it bc sometimes they seem to have a good plot and then it's just comedy 50% of the time.
May 1, 2022 11:51 AM

Jul 2021
Alcoholicide said:
Basically no show I can think of. Comedic relief is an inherent part of life and characters interacting and I never cared whether it actually makes me laugh unless the show is an actual comedy where that is the main thing it's trying to do. It just feels more natural to have some comedy in interactions than people just being serious and dramatic all the time. On the contrary, I have a harder time taking shows serious that completely lack any comedic relief. Who acts like that? Who never makes a stupid joke with their friend or siblings, or to distract themselves from a serious situation? It's the natural, human thing to do and I always found it strange when people criticize shows for having any amount of comedic relief or about 'comedy ruining serious moments'. If anything it makes those serious situations more believable and relatable because that's how humans react in those situations.

Yeah, we can agree on that.

Alcoholicide said:
I just feel like people who frequently get annoyed by any comedic relief probably just don't have much of a sense of humour in general and are the same people that would take a joke from a comedian out of context to make a twitter rant about them. Basically the opposite of me, I love comedy and can't remember many, if any, examples of being bothered by it in storytelling even if it didn't make me laugh. It's part of human nature, and finding that cringeworthy and being 'unable to sit through' a couple of comedic moments in a show that spends 99% of its time on other things is kinda sad imo.

I don't hate comedy in general. I have 2 comedies in my favorites. Comedies aren't made equal though.

Alcoholicide said:
Especially for shows like Sakura Quest or Shirobako or Planetes, I don't even remember them having much comedy at all, certainly not to a noticable extent where it would define the viewing experience. I cried multiple times during Shirobako and remember it mostly as drama/workplace slice of life hybrid that taught people a lot about the anime industry. Of all the things I cared about and paid attention to in these shows, comedy would not even be in the top 10, maybe not even on the list at all.

Sakura Quest and Shirobako is more along the lines of "goofy characters doing goofy things" than straight up obtrusive/out of place stuff.
Either way, the significantly more "boring" pacing, for lack of a better word, in the Aquarium anime was much more captivating.
(Plus the first impression in Shirobako was that it skipped the character introduction episodes, but that's a different topic.)

Planetes on the other hand has a character who is basically Aqua: loud, useless, and constantly doing party tricks... All the is missing is the waifu appeal, being a 50+ male.
And there is an entire episode about Moon Ninjas!
It had some actually funny moments too, but those are in the minority.
May 1, 2022 11:54 AM

Jul 2021
Short_Circut said:
Wouldn't really say many series would be better without comedy as a whole, just the timing of the comedic scenes. For instance something like Black Lagoon has no reason to include comedy in it, but when it does it usually works pretty well

things like hellsing ultimate, FMAB, trigun, detective is already dead (i think?), Shadows House, Taishou Otome, and even Golden Kamuy at times (though this is not as bad) I feel have comedic scenes that were placed poorly in the context of the scene

Oh yea, Hellsing Ultimate had some really out of place jokes.
They should have included some of the gags from the Abridged series though!
May 1, 2022 12:00 PM
Feb 2022
Demon slayer, Naruto and fmab
Tho fmab Just need to reduce comedy they overused it so much that the whole show sucks ass at last(hey hey wait up kids I gave it 8/10 peace sign!! Peace sign!!!)
May 1, 2022 12:12 PM

Mar 2021
This is the opposite but I think the humor in Higurashi actually makes the anime better, because you can see how they went from having a normal fun life to...you know...
May 1, 2022 12:15 PM

Feb 2020
Your Lie in April, FMAB and Demon Slayer.
May 1, 2022 12:21 PM

Mar 2016
Hellsings' ultimate comedy sometimes ruins the tone of the anime.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
May 1, 2022 12:54 PM
Feb 2021
Akame ga Kill easily.

You have a show in which assasins are trying to overthrow a corrupt empire and they can be executed brutally anytime. You would expect it to have a darker, serious tone but half the time of this show is spent in cracking jokes.
The show takes itself too lightly considering its premise.
May 1, 2022 1:03 PM
Jul 2017
Honestly, Bungou Stray Dogs for me. The comedy just felt out of place many times.
May 1, 2022 1:05 PM

Apr 2021
Unpopular opinion: Komi-san would have been better as a drama-romance not a school comedy
My poor signature was removed because it “took up too much space”
May 1, 2022 1:07 PM

Jul 2021
Warlord53104 said:
Akame ga Kill easily.

You have a show in which assasins are trying to overthrow a corrupt empire and they can be executed brutally anytime. You would expect it to have a darker, serious tone but half the time of this show is spent in cracking jokes.
The show takes itself too lightly considering its premise.

Honestly, the best thing about that show was the romantic subplot with Esdeath.
Like the serious part was just an edgy battle shounen, instead of assassins assassinating...
I'll take the yandere romcom over that.
May 1, 2022 1:36 PM

Feb 2021
Most anime would be better without comedy. It's better if a show that tries to take itself seriously wouldn't use forced comedy out of nowhere to break tension that didn't need to be broken in the first place
May 1, 2022 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
Crack said:
Most anime would be better without comedy. It's better if a show that tries to take itself seriously wouldn't use forced comedy out of nowhere to break tension that didn't need to be broken in the first place
I highly doubt that, anime wouldn't be better with purely edgy emo characters, it's all about finding the right balance, which is easier said than done.

caprisan said:
Example? It could just be me, but I never once thought the comedy was out of place, plus it's completely fucking insane, not exactly realistic.
May 1, 2022 2:50 PM
Aug 2018
attack on titan the final season part 2
May 1, 2022 2:51 PM

Jul 2021
LostSpectre said:
caprisan said:
Example? It could just be me, but I never once thought the comedy was out of place, plus it's completely fucking insane, not exactly realistic.

Like when Bruce Willis showed up.

Although these weird out of place jokes with the chibi art style really were few and far in-between.
My biggest complaint about the show is that they involved a bunch of shounen villains, like vampire powers weren't interesting enough...
May 1, 2022 2:55 PM

Jan 2013
JaniSIr said:
LostSpectre said:

Although these weird out of place jokes with the chibi art style really were few and far in-between.
My biggest complaint about the show is that they involved a bunch of shounen villains, like vampire powers weren't interesting enough...
I have no issues when it comes to obscure humor, and the show was not even close to "realistic" enough to stick to just vampire aesthetics, so that was fine too. I only take issue with comedy if it severely impacts the tone of the show, and even then I have a pretty high tolerance for that, fortunately.
May 1, 2022 3:12 PM

Feb 2020
Nichijou. I liked the SoL portions, but the comedy just wasn't funny and I had to drop it.
May 1, 2022 3:15 PM

Jul 2021
LostSpectre said:
JaniSIr said:

I have no issues when it comes to obscure humor, and the show was not even close to "realistic" enough to stick to just vampire aesthetics, so that was fine too. I only take issue with comedy if it severely impacts the tone of the show, and even then I have a pretty high tolerance for that, fortunately.

It's only 10 episodes, and it involved Nazi Vampires, the Vatican, the KKK, and honestly Alucard alone was waaay over the top already, compared to the usual vampire abilities from all other franchises combined.
A guy throwing cards just wasn't needed.
May 1, 2022 3:29 PM
May 2014
epidemia78 said:

I was gonna say FMAB also. I think it's a show that shouldn't even involve the comedy or silliness that it does and would have been much better off a serious show. Still a great show though
May 1, 2022 3:49 PM
Sep 2020
Say it with me now, everyone:

DEMON SLAYER.
May 1, 2022 4:13 PM

Feb 2014
Obviously being a shoujo Banana Fish is gonna have some comedic relief moments, but I think it would work better without said moments.
May 1, 2022 4:20 PM

Jan 2013
JaniSIr said:
LostSpectre said:

It's only 10 episodes, and it involved Nazi Vampires, the Vatican, the KKK, and honestly Alucard alone was waaay over the top already, compared to the usual vampire abilities from all other franchises combined.
A guy throwing cards just wasn't needed.
I don't ever remember even giving it a second thought, it's a blessing to be able to not take anime seriously in the slightest.

mazuchi said:
Nichijou. I liked the SoL portions, but the comedy just wasn't funny and I had to drop it.
This is like people saying straight up fanservice shows would be better without fanservice, their entire reason for existing, just saying.
May 1, 2022 4:31 PM

Jan 2020
An anime that comes off of my mind for this is Rumbling Hearts
May 1, 2022 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
it pains me to say this. I will be attacked. It is my subjective, personal experience but I gotta say Gintama. I'm sorry but some episodes just didn't work for me. Especially the ones with the d*ck jokes and some of the random odd job episodes. Just didn't work for me.

Most episodes from Gintama were hilarious, no lie but at some point, they don't work anymore. It feels almost like the author was trying to squeeze more comedy into the series as much as he could. It didn't feel natural anymore. And of course, removing the comedy from those episodes would lead to them not existing in the first place because that was the whole point!

Next- Aho Girl I don't get the jokes in the series. I'm supposed to laugh as someone who is terribly dumb? A-kun was the only character I could cope with. From my point of view, this is terrible! Just 1 character I could cope with. It felt like madness by the end of the anime. For this series, without its comedy, I don't think it would get better, it is nothing with it.

Dragonar Academy - I am sorry but I can't find the comedy in this series. It doesn't work. The story is so poor and undeveloped. Everything about the series just didn't work. They only excelled with ecchi. Too bad though, I'm not into ecchi so I still found it terrible.

Intial D- comedy was not this anime's forte. It didn't have much in it (which was cool) but I appreciate the comic relief the Takumi best friend was made into to release some serotonin. But I think seeing Takumi racing gave enough of that.

Nichijou I have seriously tried to watch this anime several times but I keep dropping it...I just don't know what's going on. I usually like animes that have a good story to support them so obviously, these comedy series don't work for me. (But Daily Lives of High School Boys, Please Take My Brother Away, Hoozuki No Reitetsu and Grand Blue were hilarious enough. They all didn't have a story yet they did well to entertain me. so I'm not sure what's going on with Nichijou)

Komi-san Can't Communicate- I thought I would stick with this anime for a lot longer. But nope, I feel like dropping it. The comedy and cuteness were cool for some episodes..I dunno about 4 or 5. I went past ep 7 and I dunno what the comedy should be anymore. I'm so sorry Komi-san! I was really looking forward to watching the series but now I'm bored.

I decided to pick up another controversial and popular anime known back then- Prison School. I apologise in advance that I am incapable of the humour in the anime but for real, I gotta ask, what's the comedy here? It got to some point I was just watching it because I wanted to know the story and how the guys would end up. My initial aim of watching it because I wanted to laugh and have a good time disappeared.

of course, there will be people who say otherwise and that's completely fine too. We experience things differently. For now, I can't think of any other animes. so I will leave it here.
removed-userMay 1, 2022 5:12 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is Fall 2024 Shoujo/Josei season?! 😲

Dauphine - 3 hours ago

3 by Dauphine »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime genres that rose in popularity and gained relevance as time went on ?

tchitchouan - 28 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime genres that declined in popularity or lost relevance and with time ?

tchitchouan - 36 minutes ago

5 by tchitchouan »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is sound design in Anime

ST63LTH - Yesterday

14 by deg »»
24 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

93 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.