Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 22, 2021 9:08 PM

Mar 2008
I feel sorry for Kukuru but I was hoping her Grandpa would have gave her a scolding like she gave Fuuka. She needs to get a grip on things. Glad the doctor had a safe birth and the baby was healthy.
Jul 22, 2021 10:14 PM

Jan 2020
wow... this was beautiful. Poor choko though :(

I like penguins so that made me a little sad so hopefully things will go ok with that. The whole dream scene with mother and child was so well done and the soundtrack was an emotional one. I really liked the way everything this episode was handled and I think this might be on track to become my anime of the season.

It's also interesting seeing a tiny bit of kukuru's past

Jul 22, 2021 11:06 PM
Nov 2020
I like the show so far, Kukuru is definitely a contender for best girl of the season. It's a little boring right now, but all SoL need time to build up so it's understandable for now.
Jul 22, 2021 11:09 PM

Mar 2020
MegamiRem said:
Thou that last part was quite shocking. There's "two mother and child" handbook at Kukuru's place and the local government gives only one when someone's pregnant. This most likely means Kukuru's mother was pregnant when she died, damn.
I'm glad someone else also noticed this. I'm not sure if Kukuru realized this or not, but if she did then the vet's child is like rubbing salt in Kukuru's wound, because now she realizes that she didn't just lose her mom and dad, but also a potential sibling.
JudevinJul 23, 2021 2:34 AM
Jul 23, 2021 12:44 AM

Dec 2020
THANK GODDD SHE GAVE BIRTH IN A HOSPITAL i wouldve lost my mind if she gave birth on spot on that penguin section
Jul 23, 2021 1:08 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Flashback story via the dream? That's quite emotional. So, her parents really gone. Oh well that's indeed emotional. Oh no, the penguin got some disease. Bumblefoot, eh? Kukuru found some strange with Choko's body lameness. Ngl, i feel like i am watching hataraku saibou animal version for a while.

The vet actually HanaKana, which is truly a fuckin good decision, considering Hana soon shall be a mama too. Oh shit, ironic, doc, when you said its past due and the baby won't comes out. The time actually came on such an unpredictable way. I find it a bit chuckled. But oh well, gladly everything just turned out to be fine. Ofc some supernatural encounter happened through the dream. Still, in the end, congrats for the baby, doc!

Hopefully Choko get a good terms too and soon be well, together with the whole aquarium management problems complexity. Another nice episode, with a good additional intense moment in the end. So, lets see what else they have next....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 23, 2021 1:43 AM

Apr 2012
TokenBoy8 said:
RobertBobert said:

There is no hint that he might be gay or bi. It's basically about the fact that he has some kind of backstory bias against women as such.

I never said anything about sexuality. i just said he's much different and happier with kai. that's it

As if I need to be very guessing about what you mean by that. But no, his bio does not at all try to touch his sexuality in any way, whatever it may be. It only says that he had something "dark" with women in the past.
Jul 23, 2021 1:45 AM

Apr 2012
Judevin said:
MegamiRem said:
Thou that last part was quite shocking. There's "two mother and child" handbook at Kukuru's place and the local government gives only one when someone's pregnant. This most likely means Kukuru's mother was pregnant when she died, damn.
I'm glad someone else also noticed this. I'm not sure if Kukuru realized this or not, but if she died then the vet's child is like rubbing salt in Kukuru's wound, because now she realizes that she didn't just lose her mom and dad, but also a potential sibling.

This made me wonder if the Japanese consider the loss of pregnancy to be a loss of human life. In the Orthodox tradition, a person is buried separately in a cemetery only if they had time to be born.
Jul 23, 2021 1:57 AM
May 2019
Today I learned that penguins can get foot infections. Oh and I guess the anime was good to. Even though the labor thing was kind of predictable. I'm just glad they didn't go the whole baby is born old penguin dies that would have been depressing.
Jul 23, 2021 2:02 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Judevin said:
I'm glad someone else also noticed this. I'm not sure if Kukuru realized this or not, but if she died then the vet's child is like rubbing salt in Kukuru's wound, because now she realizes that she didn't just lose her mom and dad, but also a potential sibling.

This made me wonder if the Japanese consider the loss of pregnancy to be a loss of human life. In the Orthodox tradition, a person is buried separately in a cemetery only if they had time to be born.
Looked up a couple of articles, they don't seem to consider it a net loss per se.
In Shintoism, abortion is justified in let's say economic hardship, then it's perfectly okay, because the gods also rule the dead. Or in a case of rape and/or a harm to the mother, then it's perfectly acceptable to do so.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-63023-2_16
(I read this one because I can access it through my university's library, otherwise it requires a paid subscription)

In Buddhism (the other big religion in Japan), abortion is just considered bad karma, similar to what eating meat would be considered, but again they consider it justifiable in cases of necessity (like eating meat is for the human body).
https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/buddhism-and-abortion/

Also looking up the statistics, abortions in Japan aren't a rare thing, they do go unreported because the patients want their privacy of course, but they're rather common, especially because it's expensive to have a kid in Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Japan

So all of these lead me to believe that the Japanese are much more open to the idea of "pro-choice" than say USA because the idea is that if you can't afford to have a child, then it's more or less the same as killing it anyway.
Jul 23, 2021 2:15 AM

Apr 2012
Judevin said:
RobertBobert said:

Looked up a couple of articles, they don't seem to consider it a net loss per se.
In Shintoism, abortion is justified in let's say economic hardship, then it's perfectly okay, because the gods also rule the dead. Or in a case of rape and/or a harm to the mother, then it's perfectly acceptable to do so.
(I read this one because I can access it through my university's library, otherwise it requires a paid subscription)

In Buddhism (the other big religion in Japan), abortion is just considered bad karma, similar to what eating meat would be considered, but again they consider it justifiable in cases of necessity (like eating meat is for the human body).

Also looking up the statistics, abortions in Japan aren't a rare thing, they do go unreported because the patients want their privacy of course, but they're rather common, especially because it's expensive to have a kid in Japan.

So all of these lead me to believe that the Japanese are much more open to the idea of "pro-choice" than say USA because the idea is that if you can't afford to have a child, then it's more or less the same as killing it anyway.

We seem to have gone in a slightly different direction, but as far as I understand, formally Kukuru has lost three relatives.

Also, its offtopic, but characters in yuri and BL very often have straight siblings, as this is used as a sort of "excuse" for the gay route for the main characters. While some shows imply that the character's "karma" was too contaminated, so they didn't leave offspring. This is why so many tragic characters in anime and manga do not have children. It probably won't have anything to do with this show, but for some reason this subplot made me think of these tropes
Jul 23, 2021 2:20 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Judevin said:

We seem to have gone in a slightly different direction, but as far as I understand, formally Kukuru has lost three relatives.

Also, its offtopic, but characters in yuri and BL very often have straight siblings, as this is used as a sort of "excuse" for the gay route for the main characters. While some shows imply that the character's "karma" was too contaminated, so they didn't leave offspring. This is why so many tragic characters in anime and manga do not have children. It probably won't have anything to do with this show, but for some reason this subplot made me think of these tropes
Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about or how any of that ties into Kukuru's parents dying, but you do you man.
It's 2:20am my brain is barely functional, you have a great day.
Jul 23, 2021 2:24 AM

Apr 2012
Judevin said:
RobertBobert said:

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about or how any of that ties into Kukuru's parents dying, but you do you man.
It's 2:20am my brain is barely functional, you have a great day.

I want to say, that talking about this awakened in me memories of Japanese tropes about offspring. Never mind.
Jul 23, 2021 2:49 AM

Nov 2012
Damn, it was a nice episode!

So Kanchou's mom was pregnat? It was hard to realize

My Candies:

Jul 23, 2021 3:20 AM

Jul 2015
I am getting more invested in this show. Really enjoying the characters and the story. Sad about Kukuru's parents.
Jul 23, 2021 3:51 AM
Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
TokenBoy8 said:

I never said anything about sexuality. i just said he's much different and happier with kai. that's it

As if I need to be very guessing about what you mean by that. But no, his bio does not at all try to touch his sexuality in any way, whatever it may be. It only says that he had something "dark" with women in the past.

dude idc . i just told you what i saw in the anime, see it how you want.
Jul 23, 2021 4:09 AM

Oct 2007
pregnant vet about to give birth gives stress to workers in the aquarium. Glad it was resolved well.

Fuuka has now told her mom she is helping out at an aquarium. I guess it's time to eventually expect drama about her mom wanting her to go home / leave the aquarium.
Liddo-kunJul 23, 2021 4:59 AM
Jul 23, 2021 4:40 AM

Apr 2012
TokenBoy8 said:
RobertBobert said:

It's hard to see anything different when you put it in the context of "a male character has a problem with a female characters".
Jul 23, 2021 4:54 AM
Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
TokenBoy8 said:

It's hard to see anything different when you put it in the context of "a male character has a problem with a female characters".

well thats not my problem
Jul 23, 2021 5:08 AM
Nov 2020
21:13 Wait, am I reading that correctly? If Kukuru was born on Oct. 8, 2014, she would only be six years old (turning seven) this year, right?

lol
Jul 23, 2021 7:16 AM
Feb 2021
I didn’t expect to start crying at the underwater scene, loving this so far.
Jul 23, 2021 8:03 AM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
That's got to be rough on Kukuru. Not only did her parents die, but it's heavily indicated that her mother was pregnant and her younger sibling died in the womb.
Jul 23, 2021 8:06 AM

Apr 2012
isuzusan said:
That's got to be rough on Kukuru. Not only did her parents die, but it's heavily indicated that her mother was pregnant and her younger sibling died in the womb.

In such formulations, it sounds even more brutal.
Jul 23, 2021 8:51 AM

Oct 2016
That was such a great episode! I saw that baby coming out from a mile away lmao. I was initially skeptical about it, but I am really happy with how they executed it and incorporated the aquarium visions, that was really good.

I better not see Choko die at some point in the show, Choko be having a lot of death flags right now. I like how Fuuka messaged her mother after talking with the doctor and seeing the things mothers go through for their children. That stuff with the maternity book is interesting though, maybe Kukuru has a sister?

The ED is so good, it's so enchanting. Really looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 23, 2021 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
Sigh, of course Takeshita-sensei went into labour more or less as soon as she arrived to help check on Choko. Such a predictable source of drama from the moment she arrived in the scene. Also, interesting and saddening implications that Kukuru's mother was pregnant when she died, especially in the context of Takeshita going into labour and successfully giving birth at the hospital.

I also continue to not understand what Fuuka is thinking in keeping her mother updated on her situation when she has run away from home and has zero intention of going back anytime soon: I get it was an impulse decision to run away to Okinawa and she may be regretting it, but it still seems weird to keep her mother updated when she could come and try bring her back home at any time. Mind you, I assume that what this is all setting up is for Fuuka to return home at the end of the summer when the aquarium is set to close.
Jul 23, 2021 10:11 AM
Dec 2020
I feel like Kukuru's parent's might've died when her mother was pregnant that's why they have 2 maternity book things, and one which is unnamed meaning they hadn't thought of a name for the unborn child. This anime has some dark things to tell us lol.

Good episode tho
Jul 24, 2021 12:12 AM
Nov 2019
Holy shit that was a relief. I was wondering how they were gonna handle that magic deity thing. Thank god it wasn't bat shit crazy. i have more hope now.
Jul 24, 2021 12:19 AM

Oct 2008
Kukuru got scolded by gramps because she made her own decisions because of the critical labor situation they had to face but good thing (HanaKana mommy sensei lolz) gave birth just fine...whew...
5/5.

Jul 24, 2021 12:36 AM
Jul 2018
This episode made me grateful to my mom. I love you mom! ♥️
Jul 24, 2021 2:22 AM

Dec 2012
The show is slowly losing its charm and getting stale. I also don't see how it can get interesting again because it seems like the story is too simple. I guess I'm not really the target demographic.
Jul 24, 2021 6:29 AM

Jun 2020
It’s growing on me more and more with each episode. I really like the characters! Pretty heartwarming episode & I shed some tears, I guess it’s really relatable when you’re looking for meaning in the dialogue♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jul 24, 2021 8:08 AM
Jan 2019
this episode was so beautiful, cute and melancholic at the same time, i teared up a little but i loved it sm :)
Jul 24, 2021 5:01 PM

Feb 2020
this episode was kind of bland but I just hope it goes somewhere. imo those aquarium hallucinations are still bs but whatever
Jul 25, 2021 12:11 AM
Mar 2020
Albi-kun said:
The show is slowly losing its charm and getting stale. I also don't see how it can get interesting again because it seems like the story is too simple. I guess I'm not really the target demographic.

To be fair, this is what to expect from a 24 Eps of a Slice of Life anime and It's as if you never watched Slice of Life anime from the 2000s that has 24 Eps whether the likes of Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Aa Megami-sama etc, almost all of them has pacing like this because they have much airing time, I don't really want to say that but since you're really jumping into conclusions after only 3 Eps is beyond me, 3 Eps out of 24 Eps. (Iroha, Sakura Quest and Shirobako also has similar pacing like this one)

But hey, that's your opinion so you do you, I'm just quite surprised of the "Stale and losing it's charm" only just after 3 Eps.
Jul 25, 2021 12:37 AM

Apr 2012
EgatammaN said:
Albi-kun said:

To be fair, this is what to expect from a 24 Eps of a Slice of Life anime and It's as if you never watched Slice of Life anime from the 2000s that has 24 Eps whether the likes of Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Aa Megami-sama etc, almost all of them has pacing like this because they have much airing time, I don't really want to say that but since you're really jumping into conclusions after only 3 Eps is beyond me, 3 Eps out of 24 Eps. (Iroha, Sakura Quest and Shirobako also has similar pacing like this one)

But hey, that's your opinion so you do you, I'm just quite surprised of the "Stale and losing it's charm" only just after 3 Eps.

This anime was only tagged Slice of Life because the description was too general, and PAWORKS did not provide any official tags for this. The other shows you mentioned are canon romance first and foremost.
Jul 25, 2021 5:00 AM

Jan 2019
kuwangpa said:
21:13 Wait, am I reading that correctly? If Kukuru was born on Oct. 8, 2014, she would only be six years old (turning seven) this year, right?

lol

Indeed, this is the date, which is written on the pass. But for the unborn sister, there is the same date written.
Nevertheless, this date cannot be the birthday. Choko is born on 25.06.2006. And his name was given by Kukuru, who was able to speak. Therefore her birthday is not after 2003.
This is just readable out of the anime. Furthermore according to the "Word of God" given before the anime was aired, Kukuru is 18 years old. This again implieas her birthday on year 2003/2004.

Therefore I assume, the date on the pass is the date, when it is updated last time.
Jul 25, 2021 5:14 AM

Jul 2017
Marinate1016 said:
The fact Kukuru’s mom died in childbirth had to be weighing on her heavily when Takeshita’s water broke. That’s really tragic.

Umm. Her mother was alive and well in the flashback sequence! If you're talking about the second Maternity Guide:

MegamiRem said:

Nope! The issue date on both is the same 14th year Heisei (2002) Oct 8th, so likely that she was a twin, but something happened to her sibling before they were born as there is no birth date on the second one (Kukuru's is obscured a little by the CR subs, but looks like May 7th 2003, so 7 months after the issue date which would then be roughly 2 months after conceiving), so it didn't die after being born, but in the womb! Either way it does add a little extra to the feels factor other than just her parents dying which happens all the time in anime.

EDIT: Pressed POST by accident before posting image as proof:

EDIT 2: Incidentally the child born in the show has a birth date of 3 Reiwa (2021) July 23rd (the air date of the episode!):
D1tchd1ggerJul 25, 2021 8:11 AM
Jul 25, 2021 8:30 AM

Dec 2012
EgatammaN said:
Albi-kun said:

I'm not a Slice of Life expert, so when I see a 24 episode anime that is not based on a manga, my initial thought is that there's a lot of story to be told, not that the pacing will be slow.
Jul 25, 2021 11:15 AM

Feb 2019
D1tchd1gger said:
Marinate1016 said:
The fact Kukuru’s mom died in childbirth had to be weighing on her heavily when Takeshita’s water broke. That’s really tragic.

Umm. Her mother was alive and well in the flashback sequence! If you're talking about the second Maternity Guide:

MegamiRem said:

Nope! The issue date on both is the same 14th year Heisei (2002) Oct 8th, so likely that she was a twin, but something happened to her sibling before they were born as there is no birth date on the second one (Kukuru's is obscured a little by the CR subs, but looks like May 7th 2003, so 7 months after the issue date which would then be roughly 2 months after conceiving), so it didn't die after being born, but in the womb! Either way it does add a little extra to the feels factor other than just her parents dying which happens all the time in anime.

EDIT 2: Incidentally the child born in the show has a birth date of 3 Reiwa (2021) July 23rd (the air date of the episode!):

It literally said her mother died.
Jul 25, 2021 1:35 PM

Jul 2017
Marinate1016 said:
D1tchd1gger said:

It literally said her mother died.

Kai says she "lost her PARENTS when she was little" and that she used to go to the Aquarium with them a lot ie the opening scene.

So how could her mother die in child birth as you stated?
Jul 25, 2021 7:21 PM

Apr 2012
I kind of take issue with the way Kai just sort of airdropped Kukuru's tragic backstory onto Fuuka out of nowhere. That was not his story to tell, and there was really no reason Fuuka needed to know that.

Aside from that, still a lovely episode. Kukuru showed a little bit of both her strengths and her faults as she tries to 'be the boss' and take care of everything, and when the doctor told Fuuka about her vision, hearing her child say 'I get to meet you soon, mom" I actually got a little choked up - that was precious.
Jul 26, 2021 8:20 PM
Jul 2021
I too have been disappointed by P.A works many times. So when I saw their name under the title, it made me more cautious about continuing to watch this. However, now after completing this 3rd episode I feel like I can say this has been a great anime series so far! I'm looking forward to continuing to watch this as my serious anime series for the summer.
Aug 1, 2021 5:54 PM
Jan 2021
Criticiza said:
Honestly really enjoying the art of this one, misaki seems like an absolute dunderhead with how deadset she is on the aquarium bless her lol.

I tend to enjoy this type of anime, where some fairly outside event makes the characters change slightly for the better, like how Fuuka realised how mother's are strong and the such really was nice, and understanding how her own mother would have felt. Like that character growth is a tad more realistic that some other animes and I quite enjoy that tbh.

Is it just me or whenever I hear kukuru, I remember mayuri from steins gate saying tuturu lmao

stop i cant unhear it now
Aug 2, 2021 1:19 PM

Jul 2020
pulsarqb said:
Criticiza said:
Honestly really enjoying the art of this one, misaki seems like an absolute dunderhead with how deadset she is on the aquarium bless her lol.

I tend to enjoy this type of anime, where some fairly outside event makes the characters change slightly for the better, like how Fuuka realised how mother's are strong and the such really was nice, and understanding how her own mother would have felt. Like that character growth is a tad more realistic that some other animes and I quite enjoy that tbh.

Is it just me or whenever I hear kukuru, I remember mayuri from steins gate saying tuturu lmao

stop i cant unhear it now

My bad, didn't realise TUTURUUUUUUUU
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Aug 5, 2021 10:51 AM

Jul 2021
Bit overly sentimental, and a couple of things didn't make total sense, but it still has heart : )
Aug 6, 2021 9:27 PM

Aug 2020
is this a bollywood movie or smthng? why is someone giving birth?

anyway lol i actually really liked this episode.
Sep 17, 2021 7:22 AM

Mar 2010
I don't feel like there was any progression.. though learning about penguins more was okay.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 2, 2021 5:58 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's sad that Kukuru's parents died... that was surprising to see childbirth in this episode!!
Jan 29, 2022 12:18 PM

Jul 2015
The supernatural aspect sure catches me offguard, like the pregnant doctor seeing her yet born child swim, as most of the time it takes place in a realistic setting.

May 4, 2022 8:24 AM

Apr 2016
Kind of boring but the moment with pregnant woman and the kid underwater was nice.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

138 by basskiller »»
Dec 11, 2023 5:15 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2021

78 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 6:06 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2021

74 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:00 AM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2021

85 by basskiller »»
Dec 8, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2021

105 by basskiller »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.