Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2009 10:33 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An absolutely powerful episode that once again impresses me not just by the dialog, but also the raw emotion in Godai and Kyoko's eyes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 10, 2009 5:58 AM

Feb 2009
Agreed. One of the most powerful moments in the series is when Godai forces himself to tell Kyoko that he's not in love with her anymore. That is the scene of a man who has just completely given up and abandoned all hope.

Sep 21, 2010 6:51 PM

Jun 2007
Even though I've already read the manga, this episode had me close to tears throughout. Definitely one of the most powerful episodes I've seen; if only because, as an impartial viewer of the drama resulting from misunderstanding after misunderstanding, it's SO aggravating watching everything fall apart in such spectacular fashion.

I've been very critical of Kyoko previously, and I stand by what I've said. But, with Godai out of the picture and Mikata forcing her to give him an answer, even I felt sorry for her when Godai didn't turn up the night/morning she stayed up waiting for him. She didn't have the strength to decide for herself and was desperate for him to reaffirm his love for her; preventing her from jumping into the arms of Mitaka.

As well as reminding me why I'm not madly in love with Kyoko, going through the story a second time has made me realize how much I adore MI. I mean, how often can a person say they've felt fine watching as many as episodes as time allows; not feeling at all bored? Even in anime form, MI is special... providing you can't tell what is and isn't filler, early on.
Dec 8, 2010 3:17 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Incredible episode. The raw emotion that both are feeling and how they just bottle it up to say somethings they don't really mean.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 14, 2011 8:36 AM

Jun 2009
télénovela 100%
Mar 13, 2012 11:27 AM
Dec 2010
I don't get it, does she wanna Godai or not, it's like when there's possibility that Godai will leave her side she always goes chasing after him but only to turn situation back to being chased by Godai, while she becomes indecisive or unaccessible again.

This show is way too long for what it tries to tell us and it kinda feel artificially prolonged by all those "getting back to manager - tenant relationship" even though it many times looked somewhat better for these two, they always reverted back.

I hope this time they will not revert and that they will progress, I wanna watch romance finally !!

Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyMar 13, 2012 11:32 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jun 29, 2012 2:41 PM

Jun 2009
greenmarty said:
I don't get it, does she wanna Godai or not, it's like when there's possibility that Godai will leave her side she always goes chasing after him but only to turn situation back to being chased by Godai, while she becomes indecisive or unaccessible again.

This show is way too long for what it tries to tell us and it kinda feel artificially prolonged by all those "getting back to manager - tenant relationship" even though it many times looked somewhat better for these two, they always reverted back.

I hope this time they will not revert and that they will progress, I wanna watch romance finally !!

Sent with Mal Updater

Man I hate the two main protagonists, they are terrible! Of course at this point it should be aptly clear that Kyoko does care about Godai more than Mitaka, I mean why else would she leave Mitaka and run after Godai, yet she'd keep this silly childish drama going on and on forever - gosh! Godai is a real pain as well man. Awful. He's responsible also, especially the way he's toying around with Nanao.
Jul 16, 2012 8:16 PM

Oct 2009
That was an excellent episode! A lot of strong moments, especially at the end when Godai tells Kyoko he no longer loves her. You could feel the exchange of powerful emotions between them. Kyoko clearly has intense feelings for Godai, she wouldn't have been in such a panic to explain the misunderstanding to him otherwise. In fact, it almost seemed like she was ready to come outta her shell until Godai suppressed the conversation. Misunderstanding complied on top of misunderstanding, seems to happen a lot in this series, but even so it's done an excellent job in tying it all together thus far.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Jan 26, 2013 4:49 PM

Dec 2011
SEE!?
What'd I tell ya? Intense shit, right?

But in all seriousness, this was a great episode!
Even though I had read the manga, I was still watching with wide eyes as to what was going to happen.
It's only going to get better.
Feb 18, 2013 7:08 PM

Apr 2012
That was certainly a powerful episode and that last scene was heartbreaking to watch... but also frustrating. I hate it when a character is about to explain away a misunderstanding and the other character interrupts them.

This episode felt like a bit of a microcosm for the series as a whole: great in many ways but irritating in others.
Sep 20, 2013 3:08 PM

Mar 2012
Kyoko-chan is pretty grown up:

Oct 15, 2015 10:13 AM
May 2015
Anime of misunderstanding.
Jan 1, 2016 10:33 PM

Dec 2014
ok what was that.. all about such mixed feelings
Jul 24, 2016 5:55 AM

Feb 2014
Yeah, definitely the most powerful episode yet. That entire scene towards the end was just too heartwrenching and painful to watch. But in a way, it's about time Kyoko got a taste of her own medicine. I'd like to see her do some chasing now.
This was also the first time Sakamoto acted like an actual friend, instead of screwing over Godai like he always does.
Aug 11, 2016 12:14 PM

Jan 2013
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, I hate this.
I can power through this knowing how it ends, but it's not easy.
Jun 2, 2017 5:22 PM

May 2009
meneope said:
télénovela 100%

Exactly!

Tensai-Sama said:
That was an excellent episode! A lot of strong moments, especially at the end when Godai tells Kyoko he no longer loves her. You could feel the exchange of powerful emotions between them. Kyoko clearly has intense feelings for Godai, she wouldn't have been in such a panic to explain the misunderstanding to him otherwise. In fact, it almost seemed like she was ready to come outta her shell until Godai suppressed the conversation. Misunderstanding complied on top of misunderstanding, seems to happen a lot in this series, but even so it's done an excellent job in tying it all together thus far.

This episode really does pull at the heartstrings. It's really hard to enjoy and endure such a scene at the same time. Can't they just get together already?! T-T
Oct 16, 2017 5:16 AM

May 2015
Spanish telenovela 100 %. There should be also food toss and bitchslap.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 14, 2018 5:10 AM

Mar 2014
Brilliant episode. That scene with Kyoko was simply beautiful. Crying with just one subtle tear in well directed scene can be more moving and powerful than whole ocean of tears.

Nov 28, 2018 10:27 PM

Jul 2017
This anime may have old animation but the emotions shown felt genuine. First time I saw Godai so heartbroken and Kyoko's tears.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Mar 9, 2019 8:36 PM

Nov 2016
Shit just got real...so many emotions.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2019 7:05 PM
Feb 2018
didn't we have the exact same thing when he moved out and thought kyoko was marrying the coach.

At first it was one of my favourite shows then by episode 40 and since the christmas gift episode, it all went down hill.

There's been no progression at all, yes there were good episodes like the strt of season 3 with godai as a teacher but outside of that, it's really frustrating to be honest.

I don't know if i can keep much longer unless there is actually real plot advancement in the next episodes and not a storyline that last multiple episodes based on a simple misunderstanding.

It was starting to be my favourite romantic anime but right now it's going down.

Maybe watching 60 episodes in 3 days was a bit too much.
Sep 21, 2019 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
Damn the misunderstandings, to think Mitaka's fear of dogs would have caused so many

The gossips of the tenants doesn't really help much with those misunderstanding

Never thought Godai would have resorted to saying he doesn't love her anymore, that moment really felt painfull

Feb 3, 2020 1:57 AM
Feb 2018
Damn you really felt that emotion this episode. Poor Godai just didn't listen to what Kyoko had to say about what Godai had witnessed at Mitakas. If he had listened to what she had to say, then he wouldn't have said he no longer loved her. You could tell it really hurt Kyoko and Godai aswell when he said that too her. Godai is just at a point where he has given up, all he had to do was listen to Kyokos side of things. I mean.. I guess Godai just felts defeated. Kyokos tear just really goes to show how much she does care for Godai, but she has been keeping him and Mataka on a string.
Jun 2, 2020 9:11 PM

Jun 2016
Godai is an idiot,let the woman talk for God's sake.
Jan 31, 2021 8:17 PM

Jan 2012
A powerful episode that really. I'm impressed how impactful this show is and how it can tell such a story. You could feel the despair and depression in Godai, the anxiousness of Kyoko. The solitude. Still a stupid of him, but in the depths of such despair you can say things you don't mean. He had been stewing for over a day.
May 7, 2021 12:26 PM

May 2019
Damn this is really good episode. Showing how much broken Godai is and how much Kyoko actually care for him even after waves of misunderstandings in their way. This is gonna be more intense after she do a lone journey.

May 26, 2021 4:03 AM

Jan 2018
Wow I... don't have words to describe the wave of emotions I'm feeling.
Jun 10, 2021 12:37 PM

Jul 2020
Godai just feels so..... real with his emotions great bounce back from the previous episodes
Jun 23, 2021 6:38 PM
Sep 2019
i love the depression in this ep
Jun 24, 2021 3:45 PM
Sep 2019
i want more of this sort of drama
(knwing that its going to end well)
Oct 6, 2022 11:55 PM
Mar 2016
What does the B in the title of this episode mean?
Oct 20, 2022 4:14 AM

Jan 2017
FrozenRaider said:
Spanish telenovela 100 %. There should be also food toss and bitchslap.

Brazillian telenovela + Mexican telenovela + misunderstandings + (weak) old anme visual Deen style = Maison Ikokku. I´m really loving it - I´m not being ironic.
Feb 28, 2023 11:01 PM

Jun 2022
I feel kind of bad saying this, but I wasn't a big fan of this episode. Asuna's dogs have to be the laziest plot device, I can buy them running after them last episode but for one of her dogs to sneak inside Mitaka's apartment, while Kyoko was also there, while Godai and Asuna just so happened to stop by, really pushes suspension of disbelief. 

Yeah the ending was nice with the nice art, music, and voice acting, but this plot is nothing more than misunderstanding after misunderstanding between Godai & Kyoko, it's getting really frustrating. 
May 28, 2023 2:30 PM

May 2022
Awesome, awesome, awesome!
BUT the whole episode had kinda sad tone to it, I was anxious to see what's to come.

Godai san you あほ!
Godai san was force fed with the idea of Kyoko san and Mitaka san getting married and the seed of the idea had grown into him. Gossip from all around and the now usuall misunderstandings piled up and brought Godai san to his breaking point. There was no one to tell him the truth and when Kyoko san tried to straighten things up, he wouldn't listen.

I'm not sure weather Godain san meant what he was saying, surely he still loves Kyoko san, right..?
Which brings me back to five stages of depression/sadness and here we're at level three - bargaining. Godai san is trying to make a deal - with himself, to feel better. Letting Kyoko san go would give him a piece of mind. Earlier his blank eyes told what he was feeling inside. Buuut I'm not a psychiatrist, what the hell do I know :D

And the single tear from Kyoko san's eye :(
I remember crying when I first saw this episode and it always saddens me when I think about this scene. One more of the most memorable episodes.
PozoyJul 28, 2023 4:30 PM
Jun 10, 2023 6:04 AM

May 2016
Really well handled episode I loved it but the feels hit really hard...
Jun 17, 7:59 PM

May 2023
I have to agree that using the dogs as a plot mechanism time and again isn't the best way, in my opinion, to handle such situations. It works on funnier moments, but not so much when it comes to handling relationship issues. Still, the ending was really touching. I'm a bit envious of both Godai and Kyoko, to say the truth. I wish our actual relationships were just matters of misunderstandings. As long as there's a will, people who feel for each other can find a way to overcome them.
Sep 7, 4:44 PM

May 2022
Trains
EPs 51/96
In total 161 (+3)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 71 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 12, 2009

18 by Pozoy »»
Yesterday, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 70 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 12, 2009

17 by Pozoy »»
Sep 25, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 47 Discussion

Alas86 - Dec 23, 2010

31 by saamarium »»
Sep 25, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 69 Discussion

greenmarty - Mar 13, 2012

18 by Pozoy »»
Sep 18, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 21 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 28, 2009

24 by purplemoon_ »»
Sep 17, 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.