Forum Settings
Forums

Real tv shows and movies that are better than your favorite anime.

New
Sep 17, 2020 11:10 AM

Nov 2019
Out of all the real tv shows or movies that i have watched, only one series have i gave a 10/10 as if it was an anime, and that would be the hobbit and lord of the rings movies. these movies are tied for just as good as my number 1 anime.

what about yours.
lajzSep 17, 2020 11:15 AM
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 17, 2020 11:19 AM

Aug 2020
It's all subjective, you have hardly even scratched the surface of anime, based on your watched list its no wonder you think live action is better.

Go watch some Leiji Matsumoto then come back with a more informed opinion.
Sep 17, 2020 11:22 AM

Aug 2018
Only an anime can beat my favourite anime.
Sep 17, 2020 11:24 AM

Nov 2019
when did i ever say live action was better. first of all Lotr is not even an anime. And i dont plan on taking critisim by a man who watched hentai more than anime.

and are you not able to read that i said the ONLY ONE that i give a 10.
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Sep 17, 2020 11:26 AM

May 2014
Currently none, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Sep 17, 2020 11:29 AM

Jan 2019
There's so many TV shows out there, I don't view all of them as being better than my favourite anime but there's one that certainly is.

The first season of True Detective. Hands down the best 8 hours of TV I've ever watched.

As for movies...that's a lot harder to pin down. My favourite movie is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I think I like it better than my favourite anime but man, there's so many great movies out there it's hard to narrow it down. I agree with you that Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece, though. Absolutely amazing trilogy of films. The Hobbit...not so much. It had a tortured production and had so much shit from The Silmarillion crammed into it (to draw it out into a trilogy, given that The Hobbit is a short novel) that it just failed to recapture that LotR magic. Still good, don't get me wrong, but if LotR was a 10, The Hobbit is a 7.
Sep 17, 2020 11:29 AM

Jul 2017
I don't know which one I think is better, but for me, The Wire is on par with my favorite anime Monster.
Sep 17, 2020 11:31 AM

Sep 2017
I don't think there are any of them

I love Downton Abbey and Outlander but they still can't compare to Natsume Yuujinchou for me
Sep 17, 2020 11:32 AM

Aug 2020
lajz said:
when did i ever say live action was better. first of all Lotr is not even an anime. And i dont plan on taking critisim by a man who watched hentai more than anime.

So, I take it you are not planning on watching any Leiji Matsumoto then? It can be intimidating because there is no much content in the Leiji-verse with many different timelines.If you want suggestions on where to start let me know.
Sep 17, 2020 11:33 AM

Jul 2017
CallMeHoot said:

The first season of True Detective. Hands down the best 8 hours of TV I've ever watched.

I can certainly agree with this statement. One of the best seasons of all time.
Sep 17, 2020 11:35 AM

Jan 2019
Perv_boy said:
I don't know which one I think is better, but for me, The Wire is on par with my favorite anime Monster.

Perv_boy said:
CallMeHoot said:

I can certainly agree with this statement. One of the best seasons of all time.

Likewise, man. The Wire is brilliant.

"You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar was such a boss character.
Sep 17, 2020 11:37 AM

Jul 2020
The Shawshank has got to be my favorite movie ever. My favorite TV show has got to be Breaking Bad. My most favorite anime, Clannad AS, would be around 5th in my favorite TV shows.
Sep 17, 2020 11:41 AM

Dec 2018
SoftImpaler said:
lajz said:

So, I take it you are not planning on watching any Leiji Matsumoto then? It can be intimidating because there is no much content in the Leiji-verse with many different timelines.If you want suggestions on where to start let me know.

This guy Leji Matsumoto made titles only with rates under 7, I guess you have to be elitist to like them.
Sep 17, 2020 11:41 AM

Jun 2016
Blade runner, star trek TNG and lord of the rings would be on my favorites list if they were on MAL. Maybe Das Boot as well.
EDIT: does south park count?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 17, 2020 11:49 AM

Oct 2019
There are a lot of movies that I like more then my favorite anime, when it comes to T.V shows I guess it's only Breaking Bad for now and maybe HBO's Chernobyl.
Sep 17, 2020 11:49 AM

Aug 2020
ReegrezSNK said:
SoftImpaler said:

This guy Leji Matsumoto made titles only with rates under 7, I guess you have to be elitist to like them.

Ratings mean nothing. Anybody who thinks ratings on this site reflect the quality of the anime is undoubtedly a neophyte. Steins;Gate and Demon Slayer are perfect examples of this.

I recommend you dip your toes into the Leiji-verse with Harlock SSX first. You are welcome.
Sep 17, 2020 11:51 AM

Apr 2018
No "real tv show" can beat my favorite anime, the closest would be The X-Files, I really love the show.
DisSocialSep 17, 2020 11:55 AM
Sep 17, 2020 11:54 AM

Dec 2018
SoftImpaler said:
ReegrezSNK said:

Ratings mean nothing. Anybody who thinks ratings on this site reflect the quality of the anime is undoubtedly a neophyte. Steins;Gate and Demon Slayer are perfect examples of this.

I recommend you dip your toes into the Leiji-verse with Harlock SSX first. You are welcome.

Ratings mean what they mean, there are no such thing as overrated. Rating its just average score gave by every person who watched some show. I guess if you are anime creator you want your show to be praise and watched by biggest amount of people. But I gonna watch it cuz I need to drop this dumb Jojo with washed my brain after 15 episodes and sweap to something else.
Sep 17, 2020 12:02 PM

Jun 2019
I never find any other live action TV series or movies better than anime so far... I know some people will come at me and they will be like "oh go get a life you weeb "
I know there is lots of grate shit out there besides anime... But I don't watch anything besides anime at least now...
But if I have to name so great shits wich is not anime then I would say The Dark Knight series, Inception,
Lord of the ring (although Hobbit series is quite average for me) Savings private Ryan are the some of the greatest movies I have watched... As for TV serials I haven't watched any......
Sep 17, 2020 12:03 PM

Aug 2020
ReegrezSNK said:
SoftImpaler said:

Ratings mean what they mean, there are no such thing as overrated. Rating its just average score gave by every person who watched some show. I guess if you are anime creator you want your show to be praise and watched by biggest amount of people. But I gonna watch it cuz I need to drop this dumb Jojo with washed my brain after 15 episodes and sweap to something else.

And those shows that are so popular and praised by so many are made to appeal to the lower common denominator. If scores are so inconsiquential then why would you bring up Matsumoto's work averaging at a 7? A anime's score does not reflect quality which is probably why so many popular shows with high scores end up being incredibly insipid.
Sep 17, 2020 12:03 PM
Sep 2020
HA!Perhaps none but the closest one may be Malcolm in the Middle.
Sep 17, 2020 12:04 PM

Aug 2016
If by "real", you mean actual any live action (non-animated) TV shows or movies, then none, but that's an incredibly small sample size. I have no doubt that whenever I do start on a few notable ones that cater to my taste, that can change as I have at least two in my mind that I have a strong chance of enjoying

Sep 17, 2020 12:06 PM

Jan 2019
DHD534 said:
I never find any other live action TV series or movies better than anime so far... I know some people will come at me and they will be like "oh go get a life you weeb "
I know there is lots of grate shit out there besides anime... But I don't watch anything besides anime at least now...
But if I have to name so great shits wich is not anime then I would say The Dark Knight series, Inception,
Lord of the ring (although Hobbit series is quite average for me) Savings private Ryan are the some of the greatest movies I have watched... As for TV serials I haven't watched any......

I am not here to berate you, friend, but to uplift you. There are indeed many great shows that are not animated in any fashion and I urge you to go give them a try. It is surely folly to limit yourself to one form of entertainment media when there are so many great shows, movies and books out there.

I send you forth to watch True Detective, The Wire, Stranger Things, Altered Carbon and...Barry. Trust me, Barry is really funny...and if you've not a reader and want to get into reading, then read The Shining by Stephen King. It's well written and so easy to read. It's also far, far better than the movie version, but I won't get into that because it's a long topic.
Sep 17, 2020 12:15 PM

Apr 2015
X-files and Stargate are pretty good.
Sep 17, 2020 12:20 PM

Aug 2016
Shutter Island easily beats all my fav anime. I stopped watching new movies and shit, but I re-watch this one now and then, and still love it as much as I used to.
Sep 17, 2020 12:24 PM

Oct 2017
Lord of the Rings, Band of Brothers, Ben Hur (1959), Catch Me if You Can would be a few picks. If you expand to books I would have a few more. My top 4 favourite anime would fit likely in my top 25 favourite works of media out there.
Sep 17, 2020 12:26 PM

Aug 2013
On the top of my head the only non-animated thing I can think of is The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

While it might not be that good per se, it made such a strong impression on young and horny me that it would grant it a lifetime space in my top 10.
Sep 17, 2020 12:26 PM

Aug 2015
SoftImpaler said:

And those shows that are so popular and praised by so many are made to appeal to the lower common denominator.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. You think it's better because less people like it? Or you think something that more people like is ... worse?
Sep 17, 2020 12:30 PM

Oct 2018
I won't think twice on choosing Last Crusade over anything else to bring to an island with me if I only have 1 film choice
~Spiritual Healing~

Sep 17, 2020 12:31 PM

Aug 2020
jupiterian said:
SoftImpaler said:

And those shows that are so popular and praised by so many are made to appeal to the lower common denominator.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. You think it's better because less people like it? Or you think something that more people like is ... worse?

Popular shows that try to please everybody by marginalizing nobody are the very definition of vapid entertainment.
Sep 17, 2020 12:34 PM

Jul 2016
They are not better. They can only equal it.

A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila, Playboy TV, and the Undressed, Unleashed and Uncensored episodes of Jerry Springer.
Sep 17, 2020 12:35 PM

Aug 2015
SoftImpaler said:
Popular shows that try to please everybody by marginalizing nobody are the very definition of vapid entertainment.

So, your favourite shows are not intended to please everyone.
If they aren't supposed to be enjoyed by everyone, why are you recommending everyone to watch them? Why is it bad if someone doesn't like it?
Sep 17, 2020 12:43 PM

Jul 2019
I'm surprised no one has said Money Heist
Sep 17, 2020 12:44 PM

Aug 2020
jupiterian said:
SoftImpaler said:

So, your favourite shows are not intended to please everyone.
If they aren't supposed to be enjoyed by everyone, why are you recommending everyone to watch them? Why is it bad if someone doesn't like it?

Not everyone will like everything.

Shows that try not to please everyone are much more of a work of art than a commercial endeavor like many mainstream shows.

I only recommend art to others if I want them to share in the joy of experiencing true mastery of the art of entertainment.

If someone doesn't like it thats their own personal business, they can go back to watching Demon Slayer or something along those lines.
Sep 17, 2020 12:52 PM

Aug 2015
SoftImpaler said:

I only recommend art to others if I want them to share in the joy of experiencing true mastery of the art of entertainment.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I agree with you.
Sep 17, 2020 12:59 PM

Oct 2019
Every TV Show i have watched has been painfully average (except cartoons)
Films on the other hand have the opprutunity to be amazing
One of my favorite (Non Anime) films is It's Such a Beautiful Day By Don Hertzfeldt
I see dead people
Sep 17, 2020 1:03 PM
Oct 2019
Plain and Simple there is no real tv shows or live action movies better than anime.
Sep 17, 2020 1:12 PM

Jul 2019
welp i love all of my favorite animes but parasite (gisaengchung) its a masterpiece, but idk if it is better than some anime tho
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Sep 17, 2020 1:16 PM

May 2020
there are a metric crap ton of movies that are far superior to my favorite anime, too many to list. i dont watch a lot of live action shows however
evangelionloveSep 17, 2020 1:22 PM
I said with a posed look
Sep 17, 2020 1:18 PM

Mar 2019
not better than my favourite but peaky blinders
Sep 17, 2020 1:27 PM

Feb 2020
TV shows:
- The X-Files - seasons 1-5
- The Simpsons - seasons 2-8
- Star Trek: The Next Generation

Movies:
- Robocop
- LOTR
- Terminator 2
- Interview with the Vampire
- The Crow
- The Exorcist
- Star Wars (episode 4-6)

Not better but as goog as some of the best anime.
Sep 17, 2020 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
LOOOOL the answer is none. Not even close. I did see some decent movies made in the 70s to 2000s but "better" than my favorite anime? Gonna be a hard no.
If we're talking games though, there is Nier:Automata which would be an easy 10/10 but that's also made in Japan so it's not even surprising.
Sep 17, 2020 1:29 PM

Jul 2020
I don't like a "real" tv show more than my favorite anime, but I do love Steven Universe

Sep 17, 2020 1:35 PM
May 2015
Movies:
Most Marvel movies, including Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame.
Saving Private Ryan
Train to Busan (This is what Highschool of the Dead tried to be but shame, it was filled with Japanese bullshit)
...And I think I have more but I'm too lazy to pull up my favourite movies list.

TV Shows:
Breaking Bad
Lost
Prison Break

I dare anyone show me an anime that's better than these TV shows and movies. Despite watching over 450 anime, I still haven't found a single anime that beats these shows/movies. In my opinion though, Railgun S Sister's arc comes close.
jc9622Sep 17, 2020 1:57 PM

Sep 17, 2020 1:38 PM

Nov 2016
Sure, anime is great and all but I feel like some of you guys are definitely dismissing the amount of quality live-action shows and movies out there. In the end it's all subjective but it is definitely interesting to see that the people who like anime and manga tend to downplay live-action media and vice versa. I guess it's just natural to like the things you spend the most time with the most.

And for the question itself, maybe Seinfeld, Rosemary's Baby, Stand by Me and Chernobyl to name a few.
Sep 17, 2020 1:43 PM
May 2015
Uksi said:
Sure, anime is great and all but I feel like some of you guys are definitely dismissing the amount of quality live-action shows and movies out there. In the end it's all subjective but it is definitely interesting to see that the people who like anime and manga tend to downplay live-action media and vice versa. I guess it's just natural to like the things you spend the most time with the most.

And for the question itself, maybe Seinfeld, Rosemary's Baby, Stand by Me and Chernobyl to name a few.

What do you expect from weebs who literally watches nothing but anime lmao. I love anime but as long as the Japanese people keeps relying on sexualizing underage high school girls and stupid-ass ecchi BS, it will never be better than live-action TV shows/movies.

Sep 17, 2020 1:47 PM

Apr 2019
none, i dont like the fake laughter and the "realize its a joke moment" or the detective series with people who can reason their way towards the crime in no time. anime all the way

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Sep 17, 2020 1:49 PM

Nov 2018
perhaps sherlock series since i rewatch it several times and still enjoy it
Sep 17, 2020 1:53 PM

Dec 2016
" Signal " is a Korean drama that i give 10
Well it's not better the my favourite anime but i can say its take the same place :)
Sep 17, 2020 1:59 PM

Jun 2019
Anime TV series and movies are "real", but I know that's being pedantic as I'm almost certain you meant live action.

Before getting into anime, I never would have imagined any would be remotely capable of surpassing my favorite live action films or TV series, to be frank and realistic.

Now, this is the way I see it: I rank and categorize anime separately as its own distinct entity obviously operating a MAL account and profile page, but I do allow for penetration of an anime series or film into my respective Top 10 TV Series and Top 10 Films lists, but the standards are somewhat different since while I may enjoy that anime pound for pound, minute for minute at a much higher level, a lot are too short and would fall more under "miniseries" if I categorized them with regular TV shows (of either live action or cartoon/Western animation variety). So therefore I don't really include 11 - 13 episode anime series because they're a lot shorter than most of the other TV series I've watched, and even the series 50 episodes and under are on the shorter side, relatively speaking.

As a result, I only have one anime from my entire Top 20 list on MAL in my regular Top 10 TV series list, but it's placed at the very top and i can't envision a future in which it's dethroned. I also have one anime film in my Top 10 Film list, but several slots further down in rank.

I also never gave numerical, star, or letter ratings to TV series and films before doing so for anime on MAL because the system on the site is just set up that way, but considering this is a pretty short/exclusive list and I've seen literally thousands of films and series, suffice it to say that everything would be a 10/10 like 7 of my Top 20 anime are on MAL (#s 1 - 6 and #11)

If I were to compare all anime, probably everything within my Top 20 or even Top 30 would rank far up there as they are some of my favorite stories out there, but like I said it's just difficult to compare them to most longer shows I've seen and known/rewatched/familiarized myself with for years so I try to be fair. An anime can penetrate the Top 10 for series, but it would probably have to be a substantially longer one than the average of what I watch (as my #1 is).

So, for TV series:

1.) Inuyasha
2.) Oz
3.) The Twilight Zone (original 1959 - '64 iteration)
4.) Six Feet Under
5.) The Sopranos
6.) Game of Thrones (seasons 1 - 6 before its total degeneration)
7.) Avatar - The Last Airbender
8.) 24
9.) Quantum Leap
10.) Farscape

Films:

1.) Braveheart
2.) Gone With the Wind
3.) The Last Samurai
4.) Blood Diamond
5.) Lolita (1997 Lyne iteration)
6.) Rosemary's Baby
7.) Aladdin (original '92)
8.) Spirited Away/Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
9.) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
10.) Heavenly Creatures

I include a much more extensive list of both my favorite non-anime TV series and films in my profile, but suffice it to say because I've been watching them my entire life and didn't really start watching anime in earnest until four years ago and only regularly back to back series around March of 2019 about a year and a half ago, the amount of non-anime content I've seen dwarfs it so it's tough to draw equal comparisons.

As established, if I was just considering them regular TV series then most of my seen anime including many favorites would be miniseries-length.

WatchTillTandavaSep 17, 2020 2:53 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9126 by appledude1221 »»
2 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

71 by Ain2Zwei »»
5 minutes ago

» Are there any anime that you think should have ended sooner?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

15 by Kenzolo-folk »»
10 minutes ago

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - 26 minutes ago

0 by isseixkoneko »»
26 minutes ago

» Looking for an anime

Yuka_Blossom - 31 minutes ago

0 by Yuka_Blossom »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.