Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime that doesn't get talked about much, or even at all, that you really love?

New
Jul 11, 2019 9:27 PM

Feb 2019
For me, Digimon 02, Big O, Log Horizon, I want to eat your pancreas and even Koe No Katachi to a degree(depends what platform) and Fairy Gone.

Honourable mention: Tales of Abyss anime, Tales of Vestria and also Eva 2.0.
Marinate1016Jul 11, 2019 11:38 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2019 9:29 PM

Oct 2014
Stand Alone Complex. Obligatory Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 11, 2019 9:30 PM

Dec 2017
gankutsou, the kings avatar and Mo dao zu shi
Jul 11, 2019 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Ultimate Survivor Kaiji: it has more of a cult following, and isn't too well known an anime, which is surprising: considering how Kakegurui is a popular gambling show, you'd think that Kaiji would be popular too, especially when the anime community always seems to be craving for an intense anime, and Kaiji is off-the-walls intense.
Jul 11, 2019 9:44 PM

Jan 2019
Saki (I love mahjong animes and this is one of the very few good ones out there).
killing bites
ben-to
love tyrant ( I feel the series does dip a bit the more they go into backstory, but the first episode is perfect)
Ueno-san wa Bukiyou (yeah i realize this was a really recent title but the plot on it was so insane i feel it needs more attention)
Dead Leaves
to be hero
Jul 11, 2019 9:49 PM

May 2009
At some point I was known to some people as "that person who talks about Kiddy Grade".

I don't mention Kiddy Grade as much these days, partly because I've watched a bunch of other shows since then, but I'm pretty sure I'm still the only person who mentions Kiddy Grade as much as every so often on this forum.

More recently, I think I'm the only person who semi-regularly mentions Beatless, though it also gets other mentions too thanks to being a relatively recent show.

There are a variety of other such shows. Lag-rin is one, and Umi Monogatari and Uta~Kata are two others. I really liked the anime adaptation of Atelier Escha & Logy, so that ends up getting some mentions from me even though for most people it's probably an un-noteworthy video game adaptation. My enjoyment of fantasy adventure stories also means I'm one of the few people who mentions The Tower of Druaga and Leviathan.

Even for some more popular/respected stuff, some of it is strangely rarely mentioned these days. There's a ton of talk of isekai these days, and in it people sometimes talk about Escaflowne, but mentioning Magic Knight Rayearth seems to be rarer. And even Haruhi, which was the talk about basically everyone back in the day, is now rarely mentioned. I mean, if Koe no Katachi counts as "doesn't get talked about much", then...holy crap a lot of stuff counts.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 11, 2019 9:50 PM
Jul 2017
Definitely Texhnolyze. I can understand why it’s not popular though. It’s set for a very niche audience and I can understand why many would be turned off by its slow pacing. Regardless it’s still one of my favorite animes.
Jul 11, 2019 10:30 PM

Mar 2019
Tatami Galaxy was an amazing anime, also having one of the most beautiful EDs I've ever heard.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2019 10:41 PM

Jun 2015
Both versions of Tetsuwan Birdy are extremely underrated gems.
Jul 11, 2019 10:52 PM
Jan 2017
Pripara and Precure franchise, they're both amazing (in my opinion)
Jul 11, 2019 10:53 PM

Mar 2016
Symphogear series needs more love, ngl :P
Jul 11, 2019 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

Boogiepop (2019)

Nanbaka

Net-juu no Susume

Working!!
Jul 11, 2019 11:17 PM

Oct 2013
There are a few:
Zombie-Loan
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Kiba
Gundam 00
Hamatora
D.Gray-man
Among many others.
Jul 11, 2019 11:22 PM

Jul 2017
Shinsekai Yori

It's a super awesome anime. It's almost on par with FMA: b, in my opinion; but it's a shame that it's REALLY underrated ..... T.T
Jul 11, 2019 11:25 PM
Apr 2018
Planetes

Vinland Saga is blowing up this season but Planetes, Makoto Yukimura's other brilliant manga and anime, has been under the radar for a long time. Anyone who likes hard sci-fi really needs to watch this show.
Jul 11, 2019 11:27 PM
Jun 2019
91 Days! It's an amazing anime but no one seems to know about it
Jul 11, 2019 11:27 PM

May 2018
Saki. Gotta love super power mahjong.

Ghost Hunt. The only legit horror anime.

Juuni Kokuki. Better than most other isekai today.
Jul 11, 2019 11:28 PM

Dec 2015
Some titles cited here are ones that are constantly cited by professionals or amateurs of jap.animation... Of course, if it's based on MALers, I can believe it.

Superns18 said:
Honourable mention: Eva 2.0.

The 2nd Shin received raving reactions from everyone, including disappointed fans of the series and peoples mildly interesting in the original. It's still the movie everyone cites as "EVA finally done right" (since Anno basically threw at them what they wanted.
Jul 11, 2019 11:31 PM

Feb 2019
Rei366 said:
Some titles cited here are ones that are constantly cited by professionals or amateurs of jap.animation... Of course, if it's based on MALers, I can believe it.

Superns18 said:
Honourable mention: Eva 2.0.

The 2nd Shin received raving reactions from everyone, including disappointed fans of the series and peoples mildly interesting in the original. It's still the movie everyone cites as "EVA finally done right" (since Anno basically threw at them what they wanted.

Which titles? That people have replied with? Can’t comment on the reactions, but in my experience, Reddit, Facebook, etc people didn’t like the rebuilds
Jul 11, 2019 11:32 PM
Apr 2017
Fukigen na monokean and xxxholic. I barely ever see them mentioned but I do really like them quite a bit (had to get through how fugly xxxholic looks first, to be honest, but still).
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 11, 2019 11:44 PM

Jan 2009
in general the mecha and 3DCG anime that i find very entertaining but most fans avoid
Jul 11, 2019 11:59 PM
Jan 2018
Baby Steps. An anime that centers around tennis and relationships. Compared to other sports anime, it is very realistic in the way it portrays its sport and how it’s played. No special powers, no over-the-top personalities, just tennis. It also mixes in a budding romance and takes the time to develop relationships between characters. It’s one of those sports anime like Haikyuu or Major(another seldom mentioned show) that makes you care about a sport that you’ve never played. You can tell that the person who wrote the source material and those who worked on the show were passionate about tennis.
Jul 12, 2019 6:39 AM

Sep 2017
Let's see

First I think Boogiepop wa Warawanai 2019 was kinda underrated and underappreciated, I really enjoyed the characters and the story-building

Then, the list just expands :
- Mushishi. The first season is averagely popular, but the rest is truly a hidden gem
- Natsume Yuujinchou. It's the same quality as Mushishi but the whole series is way less popular, unfortunately
- Mo Dao Zu Shi. A Chinese "anime" I'm currently watching. And damn it's interesting and gorgeous
- Doukyonin wa Hiza
- Sayonara no Asa
- 3-gatsu no Lion

And I didn't watch the series, just the movie, but Ghost in the Shell seems really interesting too
Jul 12, 2019 6:54 AM

Nov 2011
The lack of popularity of Mawaru Penguindrum (from creator of Utena and recently Sarazanmai) and Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon (from FMA's author) is disturbing me.. They are actually have many reasons to be super popular ...

And I am not yet talking about real hidden gems like Shigofumi and Moyashimon ...
Jim_HeartJul 12, 2019 7:05 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 12, 2019 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
High Score Girl
-----------------
Jul 12, 2019 7:14 AM

Aug 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Ultimate Survivor Kaiji: it has more of a cult following, and isn't too well known an anime, which is surprising: considering how Kakegurui is a popular gambling show, you'd think that Kaiji would be popular too, especially when the anime community always seems to be craving for an intense anime, and Kaiji is off-the-walls intense.

It's because Kagegurui has tits and Kaiji don't.

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jul 12, 2019 7:18 AM
Jul 2018
Natsume Yuujinchou and Mo Dao Zu Shi

but I'm sort of glad that they are not popular cause popular shows get shits for no reason
Jul 12, 2019 7:19 AM

Aug 2009
Technically... But I don't see much love towards Escaflowne these days.

Jul 12, 2019 7:21 AM
Sep 2018
I'd say Slam Dunk, is one of the best sports anime of all time and I barely see people commenting about it online, it's like everyone forgot about it once Kuroko no Basket came, which is sad.

Superns18 said:
For me, Digimon 02

why do you think 02 isn't talked about much?? it's the sequel to one of the most famous and popular kids shows of all time, the digimon fanbase may not be as large as the Pokemon one but it's still large, if anything it's the following installments after Adventures the ones that aren't talked much about (Tamers, Frontier, Savers and XRos) because they never managed to get the same level of popularity of the original
Jul 12, 2019 7:27 AM

Mar 2012
This is my kind of thread. Gotta shill my love for Rokujouma no Shinryakusha the pinacle of harem. The all encompassing of every genre without any sacrifice made to all character. Intertwined character plot mix with one another like a spider web.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 12, 2019 7:38 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Lupin The Third is an underrated series which is a shame because Monkey Punch passed recently. I wish more people would give the series a chance.
Jul 12, 2019 7:39 AM

Mar 2016
I know that it's fairly popular to anime veterans, but to the majority it isn't, NHK needs to be recommended to some people.

But for my real answer... Kon Satoshi is a fine director, almost all of his movies are talked about, but not my favorite christmas movie Tokyo Godfathers, a story that revolves in pure positivity of life despite of their bad status, it's homeless people being bros.
Jul 12, 2019 7:40 AM

Oct 2012
I'll say watamote. That show was easily one of the best anime comedy, and so absolutely different from anything else I've seen in the medium. I would put it on par with the British comedy classics like peep show. I don't think it really ever got to reach the audience who would have appreciated it best.

HopefulNihilist said:
Ultimate Survivor Kaiji: it has more of a cult following, and isn't too well known an anime, which is surprising: considering how Kakegurui is a popular gambling show, you'd think that Kaiji would be popular too

Well, kakegurui has more normal art. That's basically it. If kaiji and co were hot moe girls it would be way more well known but a lot of people just nope out when they see the art style.
Jul 12, 2019 7:43 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Ryuseishun said:
Symphogear series needs more love, ngl :P

I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and I like it so far.
Jul 12, 2019 7:53 AM
Jul 2019
Asagao to Kase-san. A Yuri Love Story. It's funny, sweet, and it sticks with you.
& Giant Killing. thrilling, packed with A brilliant, large cast of characters and a great storyline.
Jul 12, 2019 8:15 AM

Apr 2019
- Last Exile
- Planetarian
- Kubikiri Cycle
- So Ra No Wo To
- Blue Gender
- Wolf´s Rain (I´m not sure if this show is well known or not)
Jul 12, 2019 8:44 AM

Sep 2014
Tetsuwan Birdy is hardly ever talked about and it's a good show, both the OVA and first season of decode. Decode 02 is actually fucking great.

Big O is also laregly forgotten (though this one does get some recognition, still massively underpopular for a series that is not that old). And Outlaw Star also. I think it was better than Bebop, personally. Definitely more fun.

There is a lot more, mainly among older stuff, but these 3 I could call my favourites I think.
ImaishiJul 12, 2019 8:48 AM
Jul 12, 2019 8:49 AM

Feb 2017
Suisei no Gargantia. Really like that anime. Chamber is the best. Almost never see it mentioned.
Jul 12, 2019 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
Iron Blooded Orphans and I want to eat your pancreas
Jul 12, 2019 9:01 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Imaishi said:
Tetsuwan Birdy is hardly ever talked about and it's a good show, both the OVA and first season of decode. Decode 02 is actually fucking great.

Big O is also laregly forgotten (though this one does get some recognition, still massively underpopular for a series that is not that old). And Outlaw Star also. I think it was better than Bebop, personally. Definitely more fun.

There is a lot more, mainly among older stuff, but these 3 I could call my favourites I think.

Big O is an underrated mech series and I agree about Outlaw Star being somewhat better than Cowboy Bebop from a personal standpoint. Speaking of underrated Mech shows, I would also like to add Eureka Seven and Macorss Frontier to the list.
Jul 12, 2019 9:04 AM

Apr 2017
Zero no Tsukaima. Actually is my favorite anime, but the writer died and there is basically no fandom.

also OP, are u a Tales of fan? I'm a new fan! I played Phantasia and Symphonia rn, but gonna play Abyss very soon (and heck I heard the OP of Abyss and is hella dope)
Jul 12, 2019 9:10 AM

Mar 2015
- Gallery Fake
- Uchuu Kyoudai
- Major
- Kaiji
- Zegapain
- Trigun
- One Outs
- Yume-iro Patissere
- Hoozuki no Reitetsu

And although it feels like everyone has seen it, Haganai.
woah there
Jul 12, 2019 9:13 AM

Sep 2018
Mine is probably Monster. I don't see very much people talking about it.
Jul 12, 2019 9:19 AM

Apr 2019
TheProblemIsntMe said:

I think Monster could be the best anime show of all time, and It looked like nobody talked about it, but I find that Monster is taken for granted by the majority of MAL, people dont have conversations about it.

Jul 12, 2019 9:22 AM

Sep 2018
Gingko said:

I think Monster could be the best anime show of all time, and It looked like nobody talked about it, but I find that Monster is taken for granted by the majority of MAL, people dont have conversations about it.

Yeah FR. I think more people need to talk about it so it would be watched more. I know it's not for everyone, but the people that like that type of anime will never even hear about it.
Jul 12, 2019 10:05 AM

Jul 2017
Love Lab, Gekkan Shoujo, maybe Working! although that's talked about here and there. Some Tamako Love Story would also be nice huehuehuehue

TheProblemIsntMe said:

Monster's talked about quite a bit though, especially in all those "best villain" or "best plot/story" threads
Jul 12, 2019 10:11 AM

Dec 2018
I feel like Monster is literally never brought up. I'd also say Oregairu and Made in Abyss aren't discussed at all anymore.

edit: Didn't see someone already said Monster. That being the case, maybe Gunbuster?
Jul 12, 2019 10:32 AM
Nov 2017
For me:

Ghost Hunt
D.Gray-man
ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
Natsume Yuujinchou
Bungou Stray Dogs
Gankutsuou
Kaleido Star
Kekkai Sensen
Mo Dao Zu Shi
91 Days
Quanzhi Gaoshou
Doukyuusei (Movie)
Jul 12, 2019 12:14 PM
Mar 2018
Maison Ikkoku (comparatively to Rumiko Takahasi's other works, it's pretty much unknown despite the very positive reception)
Gunbuster-(maybe but I see it mentioned a lot in old school anime circles so)
Now and Then Here and There
Blue Gender
Phantom Requiem for the Phantom
Iria Zeiram the Animation
And I'll hesitantly throw in Kare Kano or if you prefer, His and Her Circumstances
Jul 12, 2019 12:30 PM
Apr 2019
tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge, very relaxing with good op
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

732 by Koustubh »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you sacrifice your favorite anime in exchange for that your waifu will become real?

Spunkert - 1 hour ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

98 by lalabella »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » is there less demand for ecchi, hentai, sexual fanservice this days?

deg - 9 hours ago

33 by Piromysl »»
12 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

141 by Cestlavie_ »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.