Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 4, 2019 3:53 PM

Oct 2013
xShinigami3125 said:
keragamming said:

It is called the sequel effect, it would happen to the big 3 series if they had sequel as well. Lets not forget that plenty of anime fans from 5 years ago isn't here today and has retire from this site.

Take a look at naruto and naruto shippuden and you will see I'm not bullshiting you.

I know the sequels are never as popular as their predecessors, but with snk for example, the drop in popularity is very extreme.

4 years before it got its sequel, in internet time, an entire decade.
Jan 5, 2019 10:08 PM

Jul 2013
Who cares? Japan is just gonna keep making a "new" anime that will be the same, cookie-cutter shounen crap over and over again.
Jan 5, 2019 10:25 PM

Jan 2017
Dragonball is not one of the big three or four? There's as much merch for Dragonball as the other three anime shows OP mentioned.
Jan 5, 2019 10:38 PM
Jan 2012
Despite how bad Bleach was and how overrated Naruto had become, they still had a large fanbase willing to debate and defend the series.

My Hero Academia is definitely one of the top Shounen right now, but Black Clover and Fairy Tail? Eh, they're popular, but they're more hated than loved. Fairy Tail is already a poorly written mess and is the biggest offender of cliche Shounen tropes so that's irked many people, and Black Clover is unoriginal as hell, and even if it does get better (which I disagree with), it takes an awfully long time for the show to even become even just average.

The Big 3 no longer exists, the Big 3 came at a time where people needed better written Shounen than something like DBZ, but people also weren't as critical of Shounen anime yet. Black Clover and Fairy Tail, even disregarding their poor quality, have come at the worst time imaginable. People are already sick and tired of Shounen and the reused tropes in every anime, and these two series are the biggest offenders of recycling tropes.
Jan 5, 2019 11:24 PM

Oct 2018
The big 3 only existed in the western audiences
Jul 4, 2019 1:06 AM
Jul 2019
Its more of a big 5 now. Dr stone, black clover, boruto, academia, and neverland. Kinda like how dbz was often considered a part of the big 3 as the forbidden 4 or big 4 or stuff like that. Though simplified down to 3 it would be dr stone, black clover, and academia. sure, black clover had a bad anime start but DAMN did they fix it. academia is a refreshing take on the hero genre and dr stone is practically the new holy text of the internet. Though I could see a big 5 on the horizon if they chose that route.
Jul 4, 2019 1:42 AM

Jan 2018
Stoorainclaire said:
We already saw the first gen of big three, One piece, naruto and bleach...so i want to open discussion whether the new gen of big three would be Boruto, black clover and My hero A?

of course that is still early to say since one piece is still ongoing and still remain one of the best, but just if only there will be next generation...could it be boruto? since naruto is already ended it fair to say boruto will be up there and the author is stil same.

I want to include fairy tail too to be next big 3 but no...not actually if i have to compare with black clover or my hero academia (not to mention fairy tail manga is already ended)

there are few number of anime that i can recall to be to next gen like dragon ball super,,,not Z or GT and even new anime radiant could be also one of the potential.

so what do you think?

Boruto would never get the where Naruto was when it comes to success. So far, the only manga that is challenging the Big 3's reign is Attack on Titan (90 million volumes are sold and counting, LETS GO!), My Hero Academia is really succesful right now, but it's not even close to the success of the Big 3...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 4, 2019 1:49 AM

Jan 2018
CapedBaldy-sama said:
There's no big 3 dude.
I only see MHA. even tho I'm not a big fan of mha I've to admit it is currently the biggest shounen show.
I've watched around 70 ep of boruto and to call it a total shitshow would b an understatement. Just a cash grab production.

Sorry m8, but the biggest shounen show right now is Attack on Titan if you're excluding One Piece. But I'm not gonna lie, My Hero Academia is pretty lit as well..

Jul 4, 2019 1:55 AM

Jan 2018
Inverterz said:
N30-R3TR0 said:
Is the big 3 based on sales, popularity, or length? That's all I want to know tbh

It's based on popularity. There are many manga that outsold Bleach but aren't nearly as popular.

Sales are a big factor as well fam.. Bleach is the 10th most successful manga ever. Some of the ones that are above Bleach are oldies like Slam Dunk, that's why the popularity of those mangas ain't really high in this day and age.

Jul 4, 2019 1:58 AM

Jan 2018
keragamming said:
xShinigami3125 said:

I know the sequels are never as popular as their predecessors, but with snk for example, the drop in popularity is very extreme.

4 years before it got its sequel, in internet time, an entire decade.

But it's still one of the most popular and successful anime series ever tho... I'm even willing to say that Attack on Titan is gonna end up as a modern classic as long as Isayama doesn't bottle the ending.

Jul 4, 2019 3:29 AM
Jul 2018
Asaeed said:
changelog said:
Eh, I don't think so. One Piece is still ongoing and not all hope is lost for Boruto.

I yearn for the day that Code Geass enters the 'Big Three'.

How in the World would Code Geass which came out over a decade ago, enter the big 3?

The gods have prophesied that it will.
Jul 4, 2019 3:43 AM

Oct 2016
Dragonball & One Piece still burning every Cinema each year a Movie comes out. They re not dead, so no new Big 3.
Jul 4, 2019 3:46 AM

Apr 2016
There's no new big 3.
Big 3 is One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.
It's decided by sales, popularity and other stuff, not by recency bias. Bleach is over? Who cares, it's much bigger than MHA or Haikyuu or whatever else.
It's factual, it's business.

Run with the Wind is criminally underrated.
Jul 4, 2019 3:48 AM

Jun 2017
BestBoiEren said:
there is no replacement, boruto, black clover and mha are all fucking garbage.
Maybe bc gets decent later on, but mha is just absolute overrated trash.

Yeah well maybe Mha also gets better if you watch it after season 1. Seriously dude
Jul 4, 2019 3:53 AM

Nov 2018
Stress, anxiety and depression.

These literally just came up in my mind when big 3s are mentioned. I might need to get some rest .. with more anime.
Jul 4, 2019 4:16 AM

Jan 2015
BigBlueBash said:
BestBoiEren said:
there is no replacement, boruto, black clover and mha are all fucking garbage.
Maybe bc gets decent later on, but mha is just absolute overrated trash.

Yeah well maybe Mha also gets better if you watch it after season 1. Seriously dude

mha is an overrated trash, it wont get better
Jul 4, 2019 4:25 AM

Jun 2017
Who needs that Big 3 when we have Aikatsu, Precure?! and still we have OP
Jul 4, 2019 4:33 AM

Oct 2013
It's just BNH, Boruto and Black Clover were garbage from the start.
Jul 4, 2019 4:36 AM

Jul 2017
imma keep aside that this thread is stupid af and answer:
the only shounen i see worthy of being called the big bois are AOT and BHA,
there are obviously people who are going to hate either of these shows but thats an obvious outcome after becoming so popular and people watching them even if its not their taste.
AOT>>BHA.
Jul 4, 2019 5:45 AM

Sep 2018
Dave_Adrian said:
CapedBaldy-sama said:
There's no big 3 dude.
I only see MHA. even tho I'm not a big fan of mha I've to admit it is currently the biggest shounen show.
I've watched around 70 ep of boruto and to call it a total shitshow would b an understatement. Just a cash grab production.

Sorry m8, but the biggest shounen show right now is Attack on Titan if you're excluding One Piece. But I'm not gonna lie, My Hero Academia is pretty lit as well..

Didn't realise SnK had shounen tag lol. It is definitely one of the biggest shows this decade.
Jul 4, 2019 6:04 AM

Dec 2012
The only big thing on Boruto are those yen scented udders. To think that 100+ episodes in, they're still beating dead horses like "Who is the king???"
Jul 4, 2019 6:16 AM

Nov 2014
Boruto is a cash-grab, Black Clover is a joke and the only one closer to the impact that One Piece, Naruto and Bleach made is My Hero Academia, and even that one sucks pretty hard.
ObscureObsidianJul 4, 2019 6:19 AM
Jul 4, 2019 7:50 AM
Jul 2019
Black Clover, Boruto, My Hero Academia
Jul 4, 2019 7:53 AM

May 2015
One Piece will probably outlive the 3 you mentioned lol.
Jul 4, 2019 9:03 AM

Jan 2018
CapedBaldy-sama said:
Dave_Adrian said:

Didn't realise SnK had shounen tag lol. It is definitely one of the biggest shows this decade.

of course attack on titan is shounen bruh

Jul 4, 2019 9:20 AM

Nov 2018
this one is pretty easy: One piece, Attack on titan, My hero academia
Jan 10, 2020 6:43 PM

Aug 2016
I think the big 3 should be Black Clover,My Hero Academia and One Piece.

Jan 10, 2020 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
only loser weebs care about "the big 3", most of the ones that would even claim such a title are either overrated, just bad, or ruined by the fanbase.
Jan 10, 2020 7:33 PM

Sep 2014
cluclu said:
only loser weebs care about "the big 3", most of the ones that would even claim such a title are either overrated, just bad, or ruined by the fanbase.

Lmao you just created the new big three.

Overrated
Bad
Ruined by fanbase
Jan 10, 2020 7:40 PM
Jan 2019
MHA is deservingly, Baruto is pretty bad cuz of fillers and slow manga updates, black clover is just a regular anime it’s not really as good to be considered so good.

For me MHA, Attack on titan, one punch man, possibly anime like demon slayer, shield hero, the promised neverland in the future. Made in abyss also has potential.
Jan 10, 2020 7:50 PM

Mar 2014
Inverterz said:
N30-R3TR0 said:
Is the big 3 based on sales, popularity, or length? That's all I want to know tbh

It's based on popularity. There are many manga that outsold Bleach but aren't nearly as popular.

WRONG. "The Big 3" was a shorthand from the western audience that referred to the three largest mangas from Jump magazine circa mid 2000s and they were considered "the largest" because of manga sales in Japan at the time. "The Big 3" was not a reference to their anime adaptations.

For someone that acts so arrogant and posts so convincingly you should know your terminology better.
Jan 11, 2020 2:30 AM

May 2019
Average ToC rankings had OP, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone then Black Clover as high.

If you go by sales per volume, it's One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, then My Hero Academia, iirc.

Basically, One Piece is king. It was and always will be. Suck it Bleach and Naruto. Suck it Spiderman. We're coming for you next, Batman.
Jan 11, 2020 4:07 AM

May 2018
The Big 3...doesn't sound ambitious enough.
How about The Big 300?
Jan 11, 2020 4:19 AM
Jul 2019
There is no new big 3. That label was given to three series that were not only highly popular in WSJ, but also happened to have anime adaptations that acted as a gateway to anime for many Western fans.
Jan 11, 2020 5:18 AM

Jul 2019
I'm not a big fan of that "new gen big 3" thing. I'm pretty sure One Piece is not over yet. Also, the name big three should be kept with these animes/mangas. I have a feeling that three of the greatest shounen mangas ever deserve it. I can't really see any manga or anime that could even be compared to them.
Jan 11, 2020 5:23 AM

May 2016
It's probably gotta be MHA, AoT, and JoJo. They're the three biggest shounens right now i think, but they're not as big as the old generation were but all three have left quite an impact maybe apart from AoT despite being the best one imo.
Jan 11, 2020 5:26 AM

May 2019
Fuck me, why did this thread get revived? I hate the concept of "New gen big 3" and "Best new gen anime"

But of course the new gen big 3 are none other than Deadman Wonderland, Akame ga Kill and Mirai Nikki
kobayasanJan 11, 2020 5:31 AM
Jan 11, 2020 5:26 AM

May 2014
The new big 3 are Black Clover, Sazae-san and uh... Love Live.
Jan 11, 2020 6:43 AM

Sep 2017
If by "Big 3" we mostly include shounen nekketsu, I'd say My Hero Academia and Kimetsu no Yaiba for sure

But for the 3rd, I hesitate. It's certainly not Boruto, it might be Black Clover ?
Jan 11, 2020 9:12 AM

Oct 2013
RedXYZ said:
It's probably gotta be MHA, AoT, and JoJo. They're the three biggest shounens right now i think, but they're not as big as the old generation were but all three have left quite an impact maybe apart from AoT despite being the best one imo.

*triggered* AOT is the second best selling manga series when it comes to per volume sales in Japan. It is also the 2nd series in the 21st century let that sink in, that has sold over 100 million copies world wide, the series that is the first to do that in the 21st century was bleach, keep in mind bleach has 74 volumes compare to attack on titan that has currently 30 volumes, meaning snk accomplish this goal in just a decade compare to bleach that started back in 2001. Literally the proof is even there at mal, both AOT anime and manga is 2nd when it comes to popularity, yet you feel those two had a bigger impact than attack on titan???

Snk is bigger than my hero and Jojo its not even a competition and its popularity has decrease yes, but it has maintain a decent fanbase. To say those series has made a bigger impact than attack on titan is a crime, none of those series came close to the popularity of the first season of the anime, its not even a competition, my hero or jo jo didn't reach out to casual anime watchers like snk.

Heck Kimetsu just came in and made a bigger impact than my hero in all its combine years of its anime. So if there is a big 3, its one piece, kimetsu and snk.

keragammingJan 11, 2020 9:22 AM
Jan 11, 2020 9:34 AM

Feb 2019
Saying boruto and black clover being part of big three is hilarious. You probably watch those shitty anitubers who thought they were going to be a part of big three.

The real big three would be MHA, AoT and KnY if you are only counting in modern anime.
Jan 11, 2020 9:36 AM

Oct 2019
In terms of anime: Boku no Hero Academia, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jojo's.

In terms of manga now: Boku no Hero Academia, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kimetsu no Yaiba.

but since both SnK and KnY are about to end probably this year I would say that the next big 3 are: My Hero Academia, Chainsaw Man, jujutsu kaisen.

Both Chainsaw Man and Jujutsu Kaisen surpassing Black Clover in terms of sales per volume in Japan without any anime adaptation.

Shoko664Jan 11, 2020 9:44 AM
Jan 11, 2020 9:41 AM

May 2019
keragamming said:
RedXYZ said:

*triggered* AOT is the second best selling manga series when it comes to per volume sales in Japan. It is also the 2nd series in the 21st century let that sink in, that has sold over 100 million copies world wide, the series that is the first to do that in the 21st century was bleach, keep in mind bleach has 74 volumes compare to attack on titan that has currently 30 volumes, meaning snk accomplish this goal in just a decade compare to bleach that started back in 2001. Literally the proof is even there at mal, both AOT anime and manga is 2nd when it comes to popularity, yet you feel those two had a bigger impact than attack on titan???

Snk is bigger than my hero and Jojo its not even a competition and its popularity has decrease yes, but it has maintain a decent fanbase. To say those series has made a bigger impact than attack on titan is a crime, none of those series came close to the popularity of the first season of the anime, its not even a competition, my hero or jo jo didn't reach out to casual anime watchers like snk.

Heck Kimetsu just came in and made a bigger impact than my hero in all its combine years of its anime. So if there is a big 3, its one piece, kimetsu and snk.

I thought the Big 3 were only limited to manga that are released in WSJ?
Jan 11, 2020 9:50 AM

Oct 2013
Kobayasan said:
keragamming said:

I thought the Big 3 were only limited to manga that are released in WSJ?

No, it was just a coincidence that the three most popular viewed series in the west just so happen to be from weekly Shounen jump, so persons simple wanted to stick to that formula. Which I think is dumb, but this conversation regarding big three doesn't make any sense as long running series are basically dead, with the internet and streaming now a big thing persons have access to many anime and are not limited to whatever is coming on cable, that is why a big three in this era will never work because series comes and goes and persons move on to the next hype series.
Jan 12, 2020 10:04 AM

May 2018
My Hero Academia, definitely.

Maybe Dr. Stone? I fucking hated it and dropped it after one episode, yet it was incredibly popular (somehow) and is getting a new season.

I dont know what else, Fire Force was a big flop and so was Black Clover.... so I wouldn't consider either of them to be any new big shounens worthy of being in "the big three"
Jan 12, 2020 10:17 AM

Aug 2015
There is no definitive Big Three of a new generation (besides of My Hero) but I would assume the other two are Black Clover and something else I haven´t read yet.

In any case, the big three was huge because the series were good. Naruto was decent until the war saga, Bleach started in the best saga of the series and that is always a boost, and there will not be anything as big as One Piece anytime soon.
Jan 12, 2020 11:44 AM

Jan 2012
Why exactly the new Big THREE? Considering One Piece is ongoing, i guess "The new two members of the Big 3" is more accurate, or even a Big 4:
One Piece
My Hero Academia
Dr. Stone
Demon Slayer
Jan 12, 2020 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
Detective Conan is older than One Piece and with more TV episodes and manga volumes and still ongoing, but no need to mention it.
Jan 12, 2020 5:40 PM

Aug 2018
Black Clover is the first one no doubt and anyone denying it is a complete troll that is blatantly ignoring FACTS about its extreme popularity (read again that word: popularity).

SnK would be a perfect fit. But after the tanking in popularity thanks to the gap between S1 and S2 it lost its mainstream scene forever.

BNHA despite its tremendous lack of (good and charismatic) characters, decent writting, well choreographed fights aside from its blatant sexualization of underage female characters that have yet to contribute a single thing to the story in 4 seasons, its neverending pool of asspulls and well its trash why bother using fancy words about it.
Uhh... sure why not.

Boruto... uhhh i don't know nothing about this franchise tbh...

Dr Stone would probably fit depending on how much longer it will keeps running aside from its extreme popularity.

One Piece is already a part of the old big three i don't see why would you bother arguing for its inclusion in this one as well.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jan 13, 2020 8:01 AM

Jul 2014
Personally, I don't think the capacity for another Big 3 even exists. I saw a video on manga sales in regards to Shounen Jump. None of the shows/manga you've mentioned could compare to what One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach were able to achieve when all three were relevant. It just seems to me that , for both manga and anime, the media environment has become so large and diverse that the days of the Big 3 are long gone.

I believe the video was done by Super Eyepatch Wolf.
SithSteelJan 13, 2020 8:04 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel like theaters outside of Japan should reconsider expanding screening for anime movies, do daily rerun daily screening events, etc. since not all of us are able to make it due to busy life, important matters, etc.?

WingZeroRequiem - 11 hours ago

13 by DigiCat »»
6 minutes ago

» Is there any anime which you haven't watched but you enjoyed the Hentai/Doujin centred around that perticular series ?

GoodBoy0069 - Jun 1

24 by GoodBoy0069 »»
20 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

67 by Anjuro »»
20 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 3 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

119 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
33 minutes ago

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Jun 2

38 by LoveYourSmile »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.