Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 8, 2017 11:45 AM

Feb 2017
I wish people would look past the CGI and realize it's pretty damn close to the source material. Is that not enough?
Apr 8, 2017 7:19 PM

Jun 2007
Ryan_Gaunt said:
The CGI isn't great, we all know that. But the story, pacing and even the fight between Guts and Zodd were brilliant, in my opinion.

The Conviction arc, once past those horrible first few eps/filler in S1 and the stiff CG, was an excellent adaptation. And S2 seems to be continuing the transition into a very good anime with much improved action that flows, rather than just being chaotic.

They nailed the Guts/Zodd fight: I don't remember it being that intense in the manga, tho it has admittedly been awhile. Really enjoyed revisiting the Guts/Griffith reunion. Shame a lot of people quit before getting this far.
Apr 8, 2017 7:47 PM

Sep 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
Ryan_Gaunt said:
The CGI isn't great, we all know that. But the story, pacing and even the fight between Guts and Zodd were brilliant, in my opinion.

The Conviction arc, once past those horrible first few eps/filler in S1 and the stiff CG, was an excellent adaptation. And S2 seems to be continuing the transition into a very good anime with much improved action that flows, rather than just being chaotic.

They nailed the Guts/Zodd fight: I don't remember it being that intense in the manga, tho it has admittedly been awhile. Really enjoyed revisiting the Guts/Griffith reunion. Shame a lot of people quit before getting this far.

I have not seen the manga, but I sincerely do not understand the hate on the CGI, im glad it got animate in the first place, or I would never have known about it.
*Too complicated to cared*
Apr 8, 2017 11:24 PM

Jul 2015
More than the CGI (which has been improved a lot from previous season) I think the real "problem" is the color palet. I think it should be a bit darker. It is not aweful though.

Really liked this episode. Looks like things will be messy this season for Guts and friends.
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Apr 9, 2017 12:27 AM

Oct 2008
OMG OMG OMG! This badass show is back!
5/5!

Apr 9, 2017 10:25 AM

Oct 2014
Guts vs. Zodd has to be the low point for this show. While almost everything from last season's first 3 episodes was technically worse, this fight was stellar in the manga and was well suited for animated format. Also gotta love the fact that they used sexy jazz music while Guts is thinking about Griffith and the horrible, horrible torment he was inflicted with. Why, it's about as fitting a sound choice as the sound of pans clanging for Dragonslayer!

Copying what I said on r/berserk:

It's improved a bit but good God the clangfest that was Guts vs. Zodd was laughable. Between the CLANG, the fast cuts, the amateurish panning, the choppy movements (that made them look like you're mashing action figures together) and the random use of Hai Yo post-eyecatch, it felt like a parody. The pencil filter isn't quite as thick as last time in every scene (or at least I didn't notice it as much) but it's still hideous and needs to disappear. It also bugs me how a lot of the background characters are animated in 2D, even when they're on screen for more than just one shot, while more important characters are rendered in 3D even if their screentime is short. I get that they're likely trying to maintain consistency between the individual characters but that's thrown out the window by blending 2D and 3D character models in the same scene. Farnese's backstory was also adapted really poorly, cutting out little content but pacing it way too fast. Also a nitpick unrelated to the actual merits (or lack thereof) of the anime but the phrasing on Crunchy's subs is noticeable awkward.
Toa_of_GallifreyApr 9, 2017 10:34 AM
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Apr 9, 2017 2:24 PM

Feb 2011
Oh my. It was SO BAD. I never thought it would be this bad. This is coming from someone who was trying to find some redeeming qualities in the first Season (Which had a fair amount of them. Music, voice acting and the general atmosphere). But this was just painful. There is the new Opening, alright, cool, kinda? It fits, yet it doesn't. The first pre-opening scene and the OP were decent, a big, big step-up from the bad CGI animation of the first season. And then... it starts. The first thing you see is the pre-rendered cutscenes from an unifnished PS2 game with alpha quality animations running at smooth 11 frames per second. The camera jumping, the music cuts (Jazz, really?) and the Dragonslayer Sword which was previously a Moonlight Greatsword from DaS turning into the Holy Moonlight Sword from Bloodborne. This should be great, right? Yeah... but it isn't. This goes to the second episode as well, which is even worse than the first one. The anime has no sense of direction, camera or even the music (which is still good, but slapped together randomly). It isn't just the super quadro 11 frames sketches CGI, it's everything else, too. The studio didn't learn from their previous mistakes, they don't even care at this point. Even if they didn't have the budget, they could have done a much better job.

If they used the style that was used in the Movies, that would be a big step up, but no amount of polishing can fix this crap. It's just bad direction.
Apr 9, 2017 2:51 PM

Dec 2008
Is Guts still in love with Casca or is he just with her now out of guilt/obligation? She's such a heavy burden in her simple-minded state that I'm surprised his love/loyalty hasn't turned to hate/contempt.
Apr 9, 2017 4:53 PM

Apr 2009
The music was pretty bad and the DBZ style super fast attacks in the Guts and Nodd fight were painful. That said all in all I thought it was decent enough, or at least noticeably less bad than season one's first episode.
Apr 11, 2017 2:16 PM

Jul 2009
The OP is good, the ED is also a very nice song...
I can't help but feel like Guts...whenever I see Griffith I feel so much rage.
Apr 14, 2017 11:26 AM

Oct 2016
Well, if not for the previous teasers, those first few minutes would certainly fool us all thinking that we could FINALLY have some decently animated Berserk, in traditional animation, although it is badly directed even in 2D.

So, the same problems with S1: crappy animation and models, horrible direction and disgusting editing. But nice to see Takahiro Sakurai return to the job, I missed the guy's voice. Guess I will just watch it with zero to negative expectations, just like S1, and be done with it.
Apr 16, 2017 1:05 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah Griffith is still a dick...
Apr 16, 2017 5:40 AM
Mar 2012
Guts vs Zodd good fight with fast tactics (tho cheap pots & pans CLANGING was hilarious). Any camera fly less than HandShakers seems bearable now. Rickert duel commentary bit much.
Blood quite well done.
The protector infant fused into Griffith, so seems it reacts to Casca & Guts somewhat, questions if he truly became "free" in his sense.
The 2D Kushan fight eyepopping brutal.
ED very nice, op ok.
Apr 17, 2017 5:28 AM

Mar 2014
Fantastic OP and ED, but horrible music choices in the first half - it gets much better in the second half with the fight scene. Since I already got used to the wonky animation (although the camera handling still bothers me) I could say that they were very faithful to the manga source and that is a big compliment! I'm looking forward to the new cast on both sides!
Apr 29, 2017 3:04 PM

Feb 2013
So begins season2 of this mediocre anime. I'll at least give it credit where due... every shot of Griffith, with that music, was great. Too bad the poor dialog is holding it back. That little girl's lines were just stupid.
May 9, 2017 10:57 AM
Dec 2012
The OP song is really good.

Guts forgets all his malice for a moment after seeing Griffith once again. Griffith doesn't feel the same way about Guts any more. At least it seems that way. He mentioned his blood should have frozen over? Is that from the cold or meeting Guts again? The infant seems to have an impact on his feelings. I thought Griffith was just cold-hearted when it comes to his dream.

Griffith seems to be back at war and Guts actually took Casca with him. It might be a little while before they see Griffith again.
Aug 15, 2017 1:01 PM

May 2016
And some people still think that Griffith is innocent including him.
Aug 25, 2017 12:13 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice start of this second season! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Sep 3, 2017 11:18 AM
Dec 2014
I'm only watching it for the story and the voice acting \,don't expect me to completely ignore animation in my rating.
Sep 3, 2017 11:19 AM
Dec 2014
omgKEKE said:
I wish people would look past the CGI and realize it's pretty damn close to the source material. Is that not enough?

It not difficult to follow an already written story,you can't simply ignore bad animation especially on an action anime.
Sep 3, 2017 2:41 PM

Apr 2017
omgKEKE said:

LOL, please...

It's like wishing people would eat shit, ignore the taste and just be happy it's brown like chocolate...
Oct 24, 2017 8:08 AM
May 2010

It's funny how her face is far more terrifying than Beherit's screaming face.
Nov 27, 2017 8:49 PM

Dec 2008
Once you get passed the ugly cgi the show is decent. Berserk is a great story.
Dec 20, 2017 2:08 AM

Mar 2015
Wasting no time and getting right back into things!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 4, 2018 7:15 AM

Jan 2009
The pacing feels off. Way too rushed. It doesn't seem to give us a chance to enjoy the story.
Dec 14, 2018 5:12 PM

Apr 2014
What a good first episode. This is what I'm looking for.
Dec 26, 2018 6:33 AM
Jan 2017
the first eoisode is very great.. we can see the Awesome fight between zodd and Guts..
Jan 12, 2019 5:16 AM

Jul 2016
Wonderglue said:
Oh my. It was SO BAD. I never thought it would be this bad. This is coming from someone who was trying to find some redeeming qualities in the first Season (Which had a fair amount of them. Music, voice acting and the general atmosphere). But this was just painful. There is the new Opening, alright, cool, kinda? It fits, yet it doesn't. The first pre-opening scene and the OP were decent, a big, big step-up from the bad CGI animation of the first season. And then... it starts. The first thing you see is the pre-rendered cutscenes from an unifnished PS2 game with alpha quality animations running at smooth 11 frames per second. The camera jumping, the music cuts (Jazz, really?) and the Dragonslayer Sword which was previously a Moonlight Greatsword from DaS turning into the Holy Moonlight Sword from Bloodborne. This should be great, right? Yeah... but it isn't. This goes to the second episode as well, which is even worse than the first one. The anime has no sense of direction, camera or even the music (which is still good, but slapped together randomly). It isn't just the super quadro 11 frames sketches CGI, it's everything else, too. The studio didn't learn from their previous mistakes, they don't even care at this point. Even if they didn't have the budget, they could have done a much better job.

If they used the style that was used in the Movies, that would be a big step up, but no amount of polishing can fix this crap. It's just bad direction.

Sigh...

There is always one.
Mar 15, 2019 4:51 AM

May 2016
I was very hesitant about starting this because of how lackluster the audio-visuals were of 2016's adaptation but since I had fully caught up with the manga and it's been months of waiting for at least one chapter, I guess it wouldn't hurt to watch it...much. The weirdest part of the episode was the Jazz Club atmosphere some of the soundtrack gave.

It's actually pretty good but when I compare it to the source material, I nearly teared up at the thought of it because Berserk really, really deserved something that's a thousand times better than this. At least I had fun watching the mighty c l a n g fest in action at the Hill of Swords and the Bakiraka taking care of those Midland soldiers. Sonia's debut was also done really well since she looked good.
Kajo_Senpai69Mar 15, 2019 4:56 AM

Dec 4, 2019 8:28 AM
May 2019
Here we go for another round... Well, the first season wasn't THAT bad, so I should be able to handle this one too. The CGI is overall the main issue with this show.
Dec 19, 2020 4:29 AM
Apr 2016
Another really good opening, insofar as to (probably) be in the top 50 openings of mine (not that I have a list, just a guess). The CGI stays the same, but whatever.. at least we have Griffith this time!
Jun 19, 2021 8:27 AM

Apr 2012
New opening isn't metal enough compared to 2016, but aside from that the rest was fine.
Oct 2, 2021 10:06 PM

Jan 2021
This was a great episode just straight into it and the CGI felt more fluid it was good

Oct 10, 2022 2:43 PM
Aug 2022
Terrible animation
Mar 11, 2023 8:29 AM
Feb 2021
first season: best anime ive ever watched | second season: hell no what is that
Jan 25, 12:46 PM
Jan 2024
griffith coming back
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

71 by _alone_again_ »»
Apr 29, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

102 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 18, 2023 1:02 AM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.