Forum Settings
Forums

Why are the Japanese so bad at live action but good at anime?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 24, 2018 12:43 PM

Oct 2014
Unsure of it myself. I watch a whole lot of anime, but I can't really stand anything live-action from Japan. Which is a bit odd because I watch a whole lot of Chinese movies, although nothing adapted from an Anime or something.
Sep 24, 2018 12:46 PM

Jul 2015
I don't get it, I like live action dramas
sure there are a few bad eggs here and there and sometimes it doesn't follow the sauce material to the bone but whatevs
it's two different mediums so of course they are handled differently
PLAE MY GAEM BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH
Neapolitan Nightmares
Sep 24, 2018 12:48 PM

Sep 2013
Zapredon said:
Most anime are unrealistic and over the top and when become live action, it just didn't do well and feel cringe.

this anwsers it

anime is good because is not real, if not we'd probally get cringy results
Sep 24, 2018 12:51 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, from what I know many japanese films are highly regarded by international critics and they have a rich tradition in that field.

It's true that you don't hear a lot of good things about TV Series tho.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 24, 2018 12:54 PM

Aug 2007
Maybe most of movies and dramas are bad. I've watched a lot of this stuff and I can say there are nice adaptions. Also I have watched a lot of moves and dramas from shojo mangas and they are quite good: Nana, Parakiss, Honey and clover, Hana kimi and kimi ni todoke are examples.
Sep 24, 2018 1:04 PM

Oct 2017
Rurouni Kenshin did good you seem to be the only one who had a problem with it. Also it's not just the Japanese who are bad, Hollywood isn't any better from what we've seen.
Sep 24, 2018 1:16 PM

Jan 2016
DerpCat said:

But you ignore many great films. Kurosawa is regarded as one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, period. He has an excellent filmography (Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood among others). Takashi Miike also has some really good flicks under his belt, like Ichi the Killer, 13 Assassins and Audition. And isn't J-Horror generally regarded as being far better than a lot of Hollywood competition?

I would like to add Dersu Uzala from Kurosawa, that movie is freaking astonishing.
Sep 24, 2018 1:16 PM

May 2009
Krystopher said:
Why are the Japanese so bad at live action but good at anime?

2. because every comparison you made is something you'ee more used to seeing in animated form

1. because you're not used to watching Japanese live-action TV but you've watched at least 66 different anime series already
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 24, 2018 1:50 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
You're talking about the Gantz movies, this is what the author of Gantz manga said about those kind of live-actions

“Why are all of these poor, force-fit live-action adaptations of manga getting made? Because if you take a series with name recognition and cast a handsome actor in the lead role, even if the story and visuals are just whatever, tons of people will go see it. From the very first stages of these movies, no one is thinking about the hardcore fans of the series. Unless there’s more money to be made, no one is going to make these films.”

It looks like you've only watched live-action adaptations of the most popular series, most of which are produced just for milking some extra money using big franchise names. There are many good original live-action movies and J-dramas, you just need to try out different stuff.

ThatRazorGuy said:
Sorry dude but I think you're watching the wrong movies. Some of the best films I have ever seen are from the land of the rising sun. Check out Confessions, which is probably the best film of the current decade thus far and Kurosawa's movies, which are among the all time greats.

I agree.

...lol didn't notice the thread is so old
JinbouSep 25, 2018 3:15 AM
Sep 24, 2018 8:36 PM
Sep 2018
KEIKAN said:

As others have also stated, the Japanese frankly don't give a damn about producing media that outsiders enjoy. They are all about pleasing the domestic audience. Honestly, I enjoy that about the Japanese. If I want something different and honest to its roots, I know where to look. Western media on the other hand has become so bland and washed out in recent years in an effort to become palatable to every person on the planet, that in some instances, they can't catch my interest.

So Japan, just keep being Japan and do what you do best.

However, isn't this the problem that compromises Japan's cinema, though not that there aren't other problems.
Sep 24, 2018 8:54 PM
Sep 2018

Jinbou said:

It looks like you've only watched live-action adaptations of the most popular series, most of which are produced just for milking some extra money using big franchise names. There are many good original live-action movies and J-dramas, you just need to try out different stuff.

I agree.

And most of those good live-action movies are adaptations, and they have a tendency to have a tight scale, setting, and cast.
While they have produced many heart-warming dramas from here and there, they have huge difficulties transferring to other genres, like war movies, action movies (very few are produced, and even fewer are good), sci-fi, and fantasy.

On the other hands, Korean cinema, in the last 18 years, has arguably better performance than its Japanese counterpart by a mile. They breathed new air into the zombie genre in the "Train to Busan", making one of the best manga adaptation that was known as "Old Boy", and making a chilling, serious spy movie-- "The Spy Gone".

To clarify, I'm not dismissing the significance of family-drama or movies with small scale as I love some of them myself, but it seems that these, other than those even rarer movies outside of that genre, are the best Japan has produced these days.
Sep 24, 2018 8:58 PM
Sep 2018
-SP- said:
Rurouni Kenshin did good you seem to be the only one who had a problem with it. Also it's not just the Japanese who are bad, Hollywood isn't any better from what we've seen.

Well, if you are talking about remakes in this decade, I'll say the MCU is the prime example of how you adapt manga (comic=manga) and make your franchise a form of art--the art of a shared continuity that's rare to see in any other franchise, so Hollywood, when it gets over its own crap, is still kicking.

However, if your point is current Hollywood is a shadow of its former glory, then yes, there is no room for disagreement.
Sep 24, 2018 9:23 PM

Aug 2015
I have to agree that Korean cinema has been host to a lot of amazing films in the past two decades. I'd also have to agree that Japanese cinema's strongest assets are it's variety of drama films. I would also have added horror into the Japanese side a few years ago, but I've seen a lot fewer decent horror movies coming out. I did buy the bluray for I am a Hero recently, and I thought that was really good, same with Shin Godzilla... but yeah, pretty infrequent schedule of anything action oriented I'm interested in seeing from Japan.

Generally, I like...

50s/60s Samurai & other period films
50s to early 2000s Kaiju movies
90s to early 2000s Horror
Anything Toshiro Mifune
Anything Takashi Miike
Anything Beat Kitano
Plus a sprinkling of dramas from different periods... Departures is absolutely amazing.

Sorry to ramble, I've been drinking.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Sep 24, 2018 11:07 PM
Sep 2018
KEIKAN said:
I'd also have to agree that Japanese cinema's strongest assets are it's variety of drama films. I would also have added horror into the Japanese side a few years ago, but I've seen a lot fewer decent horror movies coming out. I did buy the bluray for I am a Hero recently, and I thought that was really good, same with Shin Godzilla... but yeah, pretty infrequent schedule of anything action oriented I'm interested in seeing from Japan.

Sorry to cut something out, because I want to focus on certain things.

What do you "variety of drama films"?
Their modern mainstream drama films range from family drama, romance, and movies about very mundane and small things.

Other countries like Korea and China (Hong Kong actually) has produced more drama from more genres (What are Japan's equivalents to Old Boy and Infernal Affairs?). And we are not being bringing up Hollywood drama. Sure, many Hollywood films do suck, but, as a whole, Hollywood are still on the top of the food chain, making drama films that tie into multiple genres, like Blade Runner 2049 (Personal drama + mind-blowing science opera+ great world building.) or The Dark Knight (Personal drama + crime thriller + manga live-action).

They even manage to lose one of their most valuable asset, horror films. Frankly,the quality of their horror films have declined tremendously. The brand "J-horror" has lost its appeal and credibility. What's worse is their obsession for remake, reboot, and crossover (Kyako vs Sadako).

Thoughts?
Sep 25, 2018 12:13 AM

Sep 2016
No matter how bad you think the Japanese live-action versions of anime are, they're still a virtual Masterpiece compared to the track record of Hollywood and anime.

I now awaken your dormant memories of Dragonball Evolution that you had hoped to never recall ever again.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 25, 2018 1:13 AM
Sep 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
No matter how bad you think the Japanese live-action versions of anime are, they're still a virtual Masterpiece compared to the track record of Hollywood and anime.

I now awaken your dormant memories of Dragonball Evolution that you had hoped to never recall ever again.

AoT live action = DBE though...

Besides, If you see Inception and Black Swan as spiritual successors of two anime movies, so US could adapt anime better than Japanese do...

Besides, Hollywood has made great live-action adaptations of their manga, MCU, Nolan-verse
Sep 25, 2018 1:59 AM

Sep 2016
leonanime123 said:
Older_than_dirt said:

Besides, If you see Inception and Black Swan as spiritual successors of two anime movies, so US could adapt anime better than Japanese do...

Besides, Hollywood has made great live-action adaptations of their manga, MCU, Nolan-verse

I never did see all of Inception, and haven't seen Black Swan, and I'm also not familiar with what they are "spiritual successors" of, so I can't really comment on their adaptation quality.

AoT live-action wasn't all that bad. They had to make an original ending, which is understandable, at least for me.

I now present "The Last Airbender (2010)" as evidence #2, and Speed Racer (2008) as evidence #3.
Sure, Mortal Kombat (a video game adaptation rather than anime) was pretty decent, but the sequel... evidence #4.
The recent GitS movie is another example... cinematically it was pretty good, but they mucked up the story by changing a few details.

Hollywood may have had a couple anime/manga adaptations that were ok, but the majority were flops.

Sep 25, 2018 2:04 AM

Nov 2017
bcoz...
- japanasse actors or actresses lack of experience... but they good at voice acting
- about special effect, yes.... they special effect are crap (almost nothing change since ultraman gaia aired)... the main trouble is... no field available.
- staff, producer and director...
Now Loading.....
Sep 25, 2018 2:22 AM
Sep 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
leonanime123 said:

I never did see all of Inception, and haven't seen Black Swan, and I'm also not familiar with what they are "spiritual successors" of, so I can't really comment on their adaptation quality.

I now present "The Last Airbender (2010)" as evidence #2, and Speed Racer (2008) as evidence #3.
Sure, Mortal Kombat (a video game adaptation rather than anime) was pretty decent, but the sequel... evidence #4.
The recent GitS movie is another example... cinematically it was pretty good, but they mucked up the story by changing a few details.

And MCU and Nolan-verse show that Hollywood is far better than Japan in adapting comic books. Yeah, the source materials are native, but so are anime to Japanese filmmakers. Yet, Japanese filmmakers flopped more at adapting their own source than US adapting theirs.

Not to mention, current Japanese film industry is even less creative than Hollywood. Most of their recent films are adaptations of novels, manga/anime, games, old movies, or remake of popular movies.

Even the once great Takashi Miike is heavily criticized by Japanese audiences, his own target audiences, as the "king of bad movies" (I do have to say the title is a translated one.).
It's just terrible...
Sep 25, 2018 2:27 AM

Jul 2015
That thread is 2 years old. And the obvious answer to OP is: stop watching shitty japanese movies? Do you legit expect anime and video game adaptations to be good? Lol.
Sep 25, 2018 2:43 AM

Jan 2018
Having faith in live action shows like putting faith in a friend that had played you for good.
Sep 25, 2018 2:53 AM

Aug 2015
Japanese adaptations of anime/manga suck the same reason western adaptations of anime/manga suck - manga and anime are unsuitable for movie adaptation.
To make a good live adaptation studio need: complete understanding of original, gigantic budget and tv-show format.
I can imagine Game-of-Thrones-like live adaptation of FMA of Geass for example but that's not gonna happen in near furure.
Sep 25, 2018 2:53 AM
Sep 2018
Clebardman said:
That thread is 2 years old. And the obvious answer to OP is: stop watching shitty japanese movies? Do you legit expect anime and video game adaptations to be good? Lol.

Korean showed the world how you can adapt Japanese manga and surpass the original source material.
Sep 25, 2018 2:57 AM

Jul 2015
@leonanime123 Well, koreans are showing Hollywood how to make revenge movies since decades, yet America still produces garbage like the latest adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. Don't expect good anime adaptations becoming the norm because it happened once in korea (^%
Sep 25, 2018 3:12 AM
Sep 2018
UrbanSpaceman said:
Japanese adaptations of anime/manga suck the same reason western adaptations of anime/manga suck - manga and anime are unsuitable for movie adaptation.
To make a good live adaptation studio need: complete understanding of original, gigantic budget and tv-show format.
I can imagine Game-of-Thrones-like live adaptation of FMA of Geass for example but that's not gonna happen in near furure.

It's better to let Hollywood direct shows like FMA
Sep 25, 2018 3:27 AM
Sep 2018
Clebardman said:
@leonanime123 Well, koreans are showing Hollywood how to make revenge movies since decades, yet America still produces garbage like the latest adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. Don't expect good anime adaptations becoming the norm because it happened once in korea (^%

Smh...
This sounds utterly retarded.
You said Hollywood still produces garbage like GitS adaption as if that's the best Hollywood could do or has done. This is like saying Japanese film industry has always been shitty because of the majority of their anime/manga live action being shitty.

Do you forget, or more likely ignore, movies like The Dark Knight, Winter Soldier,the latest Mission Impossible movies and Fury Road that take action movies to another level? Do you forget Gone Girl? Lord of the Rings trilogy? John Wick? Inception? Rescue Private Rian?
And all above are produced by a weakened, water-downed Hollywood. I said Korean film industry is better than its current Japanese counterpart, but it still gets a long way to go.
Sep 25, 2018 3:43 AM

Nov 2011
Kenshin and Bleach live action was good.

Sep 25, 2018 3:47 AM
Apr 2017
this is why i believe that non white wash anime adaptation in the west can be good
however i am for mixing races
i dont like just watching one color of cast
Sep 25, 2018 3:47 AM

Jul 2015
@leonanime123 Except a couple I didn't see, I find almost all the movies you mentionned horrible, barring Fury Road wich was an oasis in the very arid desert these last years have been in terms of action movies, and that I'd rank up there with the two first terminator movies in term of blending entertainment with an actual artistic vision and coherent themes. Even if Miller peppered his movie with useless slow-mo scenes for 3d goggles, the movie's visuals and imagery were coherent throughout and supported the themes nicely.

Like c'mon, the Dark Knight with Christian Bale? Alias Poker-Face-from-Equilibrium? Lord of the Rings? Eeeeew. I'd rather rewatch Drive or Mud.

And the bat's story is a weak revenge story. Spawn is the real deal (^:
Sep 25, 2018 3:53 AM

Aug 2015
leonanime123 said:
KEIKAN said:
I'd also have to agree that Japanese cinema's strongest assets are it's variety of drama films. I would also have added horror into the Japanese side a few years ago, but I've seen a lot fewer decent horror movies coming out. I did buy the bluray for I am a Hero recently, and I thought that was really good, same with Shin Godzilla... but yeah, pretty infrequent schedule of anything action oriented I'm interested in seeing from Japan.

Sorry to cut something out, because I want to focus on certain things.

What do you "variety of drama films"?
Their modern mainstream drama films range from family drama, romance, and movies about very mundane and small things.

Other countries like Korea and China (Hong Kong actually) has produced more drama from more genres (What are Japan's equivalents to Old Boy and Infernal Affairs?). And we are not being bringing up Hollywood drama. Sure, many Hollywood films do suck, but, as a whole, Hollywood are still on the top of the food chain, making drama films that tie into multiple genres, like Blade Runner 2049 (Personal drama + mind-blowing science opera+ great world building.) or The Dark Knight (Personal drama + crime thriller + manga live-action).

They even manage to lose one of their most valuable asset, horror films. Frankly,the quality of their horror films have declined tremendously. The brand "J-horror" has lost its appeal and credibility. What's worse is their obsession for remake, reboot, and crossover (Kyako vs Sadako).

Thoughts?

I understand what you're saying, I've thought many of the same things. However, don't be too quick to disregard some of the Japanese drama films as "mundane." For example, check out just about any film by Kore-eda Hirokazu. He specializes in creating very focused family or human condition type films. Nobody Knows is an especially excellent example of his work.

I hadn't realized that Miike is getting a bad rep in Japan. However, the man makes movies at such an incredible rate, I wouldn't doubt he puts out some bad films. Seriously, he's directed a TON of movies. Could the King of Bad Movies title be a little misunderstood? Something like an Eastern Bruce Campbell? Lol.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Sep 25, 2018 3:55 AM

Jan 2016
I haven’t read through this thread, and the answer is that these are almost always soulless, artless cash grab adaptations that are quickly farted out (like much of anime,) but an interesting part of this is that Japanese cinema used to be more respected decades ago. Akira Kurosawa is considered one of the masters of film and made several bonafide timeless classics. There are also other well respected (old) greats like Ozu, Mizoguchi, Oshima, Imamura, and more recently Miike. But then again, Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Shoplifters won the Palme d’Or this year, so it may not be all bad. Then again, there’s tons of old forgotten bad stuff so maybe it’s always sucked aside from a few real talents.

You should watch House (Hausu! Directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi,) it’s shitty, cheap, ridiculous Japanese live action that uses it’s cheap shittiness as a strength and a weapon. It’s weaponized shit. Fun fact, it was pitched as a Japanese Jaws, and it failed most spectacularly.

P.S. Battle Royale is great.
GoldNautilusSep 25, 2018 4:18 AM
Sep 25, 2018 4:15 AM

Jun 2015
99% of anime is pure garbage, it's just that we tend to forget about these and remember the ones we like. 99% of live-action Japanese series are also garbage, but because they're butchering that 1% of anime that we liked (the ones popular enough to get a LA adaptation) if feels much worse. But there are good LA adaptations out there, Rurouni Kenshin for example.
There's also the fact that Japanese acting is still heavily influenced by traditional theater (like Kabuki), which makes it seem overly dramatic and artificial to us.
Sep 25, 2018 5:06 AM

May 2017
so netflix live action is better than japan live action ???
Sep 25, 2018 5:57 AM
Sep 2018
Clebardman said:
@leonanime123 Except a couple I didn't see, I find almost all the movies you mentionned horrible, barring Fury Road wich was an oasis in the very arid desert these last years have been in terms of action movies, and that I'd rank up there with the two first terminator movies in term of blending entertainment with an actual artistic vision and coherent themes. Even if Miller peppered his movie with useless slow-mo scenes for 3d goggles, the movie's visuals and imagery were coherent throughout and supported the themes nicely.

Like c'mon, the Dark Knight with Christian Bale? Alias Poker-Face-from-Equilibrium? Lord of the Rings? Eeeeew. I'd rather rewatch Drive or Mud.

And the bat's story is a weak revenge story. Spawn is the real deal (^:

"I find almost all the movies you mentionned horrible"
"the Dark Knight with Christian Bale?"
The Dark Knight that was directed by Christopher Nolan and stared Heath Ledger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwB9FNVHnWM&t=38s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st__OsuetyM
The performance done by Ledger and the movie itself is even more nuanced and subtle (slightly though) than Old Boy, which is the best Korean movie.
Moreover, beside mindlessly saying things are horrible, it serves you better to explain it.

"And the bat's story is a weak revenge story. Spawn is the real deal (^:"
When was the Dark Knight trilogy regarded as a revenge story?

"barring Fury Road wich was an oasis in the very arid desert"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BnOebsDtAQ&t=54s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um0aZKbpe1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4qiTE2gsmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16BFrEBZQS4&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1WWDBTda2Y (Try to top the cinematography)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OQDTVPEpJ8 (Some special effects, but the shot is still top-notch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junBvKGZCDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvEKvJGTzeU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjcv-JtUOgA
The list can go on...

"I'd rank up there with the two first terminator movies"
I'm confused... Are you comparing Korean movies to Hollywood movies in general or just action movies?
If the former, I can bring up the likes of Godfather, Citizen Kane, Dirty Harry, Inception, Pulp Fiction, Memento, Raging Bull, Jurassic Park, The Usual Suspects, Alien, Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner (Without it, Cyberpunk anime wouldn't have existed), Goodfellas ...
If the latter, the last would be shorter, but it would still overwhelm all good Korean movies (Let's not pretend Koreans never made bad movies...) combined.

Btw, you are the first one to say, or at least infer, Lord of the Rings as a bad franchise. You must be either advanced in viewing movies (However, your over-generalization of Hollywood movies sugggests otherwise.), or you are blind.

Sep 25, 2018 6:12 AM

Jul 2015
@leonanime123 I'm saying Fury Road was an excellent film directed by someone who knows how to hold a camera. Sorry if "barring" wasn't the appropriate word, I get audacious with english sometimes, but it's not my native language (^%

Yeah yeah, we're talking about the same Dark Knight. Saw it a while ago and my memories aren't too fresh, but it wasn't particularly inventive visually, and Christian Bale is seriously an insipid actor (sorry for him, I guess directors are to blame too).

I recently saw the sequel tho, and it was peppered from start to finish with what can only be called poor acting. Christian Bale is boring enough, but Marion Cotillard's death scene managed to become memeastic, and it's to blame on the director more than the actress tbh (even if she's... meh at best). So yeah, Christopher Nolan. I'm not impressed by the name, should I?
DeathkoSep 25, 2018 6:24 AM
Sep 25, 2018 6:48 AM

Aug 2017
I watched some horror Japanese films like Ju-on and Ring. I don't think that are bad. In my opinion, Japan is better in terms of horror films than Americans.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 25, 2018 6:50 AM

Aug 2015
leonanime123 said:
UrbanSpaceman said:

It's better to let Hollywood direct shows like FMA

... and we'll get garbage like Ghost in the shell - mix of random scenes taken from anime just because "they are cool" and the story that makes no sense. And Hollywood always simplify the story because they think that typical viewer is dumb.
Sep 25, 2018 6:55 AM
Sep 2018
Nurguburu said:
I watched some horror Japanese films like Ju-on and Ring. I don't think that are bad. In my opinion, Japan is better in terms of horror films than Americans.

You haven't watched the Japanese remakes and reboots of those two films.

Yeah, thought only the Americans are obsessed with rebooting? Japanese filmmakers are even less creative...
Sep 25, 2018 6:58 AM
Sep 2018

... and we'll get garbage like Ghost in the shell - mix of random scenes taken from anime just because "they are cool" and the story that makes no sense. And Hollywood always simplify the story because they think that typical viewer is dumb. [/quote]

As if the Japanese filmmakers can make it any good.

Don't get me wrong, GitS isn't necessarily a good adaptation.

However, if you see Inception as a spiritual successor of Paprika and Black Swan as a reimagination of Perfect Blue, then you can say Hollywood, as long as they really care about their work, can make good anime adaptions.

Besides, Park Chan-wook made a manga adaptation that's miles better than the manga itself, and the manga isn't bad at all.
Sep 25, 2018 8:39 AM

Apr 2018
The Gundam movie might be the first good one to come out, it's being monitored closely to make sure no one screws up.

Sep 25, 2018 8:41 AM
Sep 2018
anniechrist said:
The Gundam movie might be the first good one to come out, it's being monitored closely to make sure no one screws up.

Who would produce and direct the film?
Sep 25, 2018 8:46 AM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
leonanime123 said:
However, if you see Inception as a spiritual successor of Paprika and Black Swan as a reimagination of Perfect Blue, then you can say Hollywood, as long as they really care about their work, can make good anime adaptions.

You can't, that's not what adaptation means.
Sep 25, 2018 9:30 AM

Sep 2018
Because they can't find actors hot enough to play those anime characters that have Westernized beauty standards. The live actions usually turn me off because the actors look nothing like the characters.

FruitPunchChinpo said:
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned repeatedly.
Sep 25, 2018 10:14 AM

Sep 2016
leonanime123 said:
And MCU and Nolan-verse show that Hollywood is far better than Japan in adapting comic books.

Yeah, Hollywood has done well with Superhero movies, I can't deny that, but they aren't live-action versions of an existing anime. (The topic set in the OP)
Just because Hollywood can throw a multi-million dollar budget at something and create stunning visuals & special effects, doesn't mean they get the story right.

Sep 25, 2018 10:24 AM
Sep 2018
Jinbou said:
leonanime123 said:

You can't, that's not what adaptation means.

That was not what I meant, though I might mistake the two films as spiritual successors of Kon's movies, since both directors denied being influenced but acknowledged similarities between their films and Kon's work.

As for the similarities, let's look briefly:
For Inception, it's the idea of sharing dreams and manipulate people through dreams.
Moreover, these two images: https://images3.imgbox.com/8b/da/LKOkOmbP_o.gif

For Black Swan, a movie about a woman who is obsessed with her career as a performer
(a dancer to be precise). and her obsession and pressure cause her to lose her sanity, and, in her view, the line between reality and her delusions become blurry, and the protagonist's identity is being questioned. While Perfect Blue shows Mima, also a performer (singer), experiences mental instability due to pressure and other factors. Her own identity is also being questioned by herself.

What I am saying is that Hollywood directors have taken or made themes and ideas that are might be niche and not commonly explored in western films or even mainstream Japanese films and made successful and acclaimed films. While not direct adaptations those films are, they can be signs that anime adaptations can be worked out. It all depends on the directors and the production teams.

Have you watched Old Boy? It's a manga/adaptation too.
Sep 25, 2018 10:33 AM
Sep 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
leonanime123 said:
And MCU and Nolan-verse show that Hollywood is far better than Japan in adapting comic books.

Yeah, Hollywood has done well with Superhero movies, I can't deny that, but they aren't live-action versions of an existing anime. (The topic set in the OP)
Just because Hollywood can throw a multi-million dollar budget at something and create stunning visuals & special effects, doesn't mean they get the story right.

18 years ago, making superhero movies is as risky as making anime live-action movies, but those guys have improved and succeeded, more or less.

I'm not saying that Hollywood can definitely make good anime live-action films; I'm saying that now there is no reason to believe that Hollywood definitely CAN'T make anime live-action.

Sep 25, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2016
leonanime123 said:
I'm not saying that Hollywood can definitely make good anime live-action films; I'm saying that now there is no reason to believe that Hollywood definitely CAN'T make anime live-action.

Until they actually DO make a good live-action anime adaptation, there is every reason to believe they CAN'T make one.

Sep 25, 2018 11:54 AM
Sep 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
leonanime123 said:

Until they actually DO make a good live-action anime adaptation, there is every reason to believe they CAN'T make one.

Older_than_dirt said:
leonanime123 said:

Using this reasoning, I can say, albeit way more extreme than the case being discussed now, that mankind can never step foot on Mars and beyond, because unless NASA or other nation's space facilities actually DO make promising signs that we could build rocket ships that are both durable and large enough to accommodate enough personnel, housing equipment that can be used as building blocks for installations, holding an adequate amount of fuels, while simultaneously maintaining its structural stability and the safety of the crew throughout the course of the lonely, uncertain trip, there is every reason to believe that Mankind can go and live on Mars.

The point is: What hasn't happened yet could or could not happen in the future.

Besides, US adaptations of anime have made progress compared to its first run. From the first abomination known as DBE to a passable but visually stunning movie that is GitS. That, however seemingly insignificant it seems, is a sign of progression.
Sep 25, 2018 11:56 AM
Sep 2018
Clebardman said:
@leonanime123 I'm saying Fury Road was an excellent film directed by someone who knows how to hold a camera. Sorry if "barring" wasn't the appropriate word, I get audacious with english sometimes, but it's not my native language (^%

Yeah yeah, we're talking about the same Dark Knight. Saw it a while ago and my memories aren't too fresh, but it wasn't particularly inventive visually, and Christian Bale is seriously an insipid actor (sorry for him, I guess directors are to blame too).

I recently saw the sequel tho, and it was peppered from start to finish with what can only be called poor acting. Christian Bale is boring enough, but Marion Cotillard's death scene managed to become memeastic, and it's to blame on the director more than the actress tbh (even if she's... meh at best). So yeah, Christopher Nolan. I'm not impressed by the name, should I?

You probably need to rewatch the Dark Knight and skip Rises.

And you might need to rewatch Lord of the Rings as well.
Sep 25, 2018 1:20 PM

Aug 2018
Because they are cramming 24+ episode (500 in some case) into a 2 hour film so they skip characterization and all that good shit
_______I like rocks__
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How would you describe the Mary Sue characters and how would you like them?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

6 by Piromysl »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Have you ever felt disappointed by a series thinking it was tagged incorrectly?

rohan121 - Apr 7

46 by rohan121 »»
9 minutes ago

» What is your Fav anime songs ?

Henrique-Senpai - 23 minutes ago

4 by Archean-Return »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you wish there were more historical anime?

SimplyBrazen - Yesterday

39 by Swyzen »»
41 minutes ago

» What anime girl's underwear do you wanna buy?

Catalano - Yesterday

25 by nirererin »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.