Forum Settings
Forums

How can anime have scores if everyone rates things differently?

New
May 9, 2018 7:46 PM

Feb 2014
I don't know if my 10 is the same ting as your 10
Perhaps my 8 may be your 7, some people don't rate anything below five, some people only rate things in 10's.

Considering all this, how can the average score of an anime make any cohesive sense if pretty much everyone rates their own way?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 9, 2018 7:48 PM

Jul 2012
Because it doesn't matter what range people tend to score or what individual scores mean to each user when taking an average. Since at that point it's no longer about individual preferences and just becomes a group comparison to other entries on the site.

How you then go on to personally interpret said average is completely subjective but again that doesn't really matter.
GamerDLMMay 9, 2018 7:51 PM
May 9, 2018 7:49 PM

Oct 2015
Well its like any other rating site (ei- Rotten tomatoes or IMBD). We all have our own scores, and thats our opinion. When you submit your score, they take it and they combine it then balance out the average of the scores. Basically the score you see is the score that all the different rating became.
May 9, 2018 7:50 PM

Dec 2017
That's why you shouldn't really take the mean scores on this site or on any other site that uses ratings seriously. Just watch/read what piques your interest.
May 9, 2018 7:53 PM

Apr 2018
There are some ways to give a "weight" to individual score to adjust it and I believe it has been suggested by many people but it hasn't been accepted yet. Now, it's just the mean of raw scores that people give which is less reliable. Especially for shows that are less watched.
May 9, 2018 7:55 PM

Aug 2015
Because there are general guidelines in place and most people follow them, even if our personal rating systems aren’t the exact same as everyone else’s. What kind of question is this?
May 9, 2018 7:56 PM

Apr 2016
MAL scores don't matter. Don't look at MAL scores as the quality of the show. I'd say look at them as more of "public reception"
May 9, 2018 7:57 PM
Aug 2016
How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?
May 9, 2018 8:05 PM

Sep 2015
Based said:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fJ8PvWS.jpg[img]

How can waifus be real if anime isn't real?
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
May 9, 2018 8:23 PM

Feb 2015
"that's why MAL scoring system is broken"

I laugh pretty dryly and just want to kill myself. MAL scores are arbitrary just numbers taken out as answer that was used using the data, means the score of all users and did some math there... Now, I do not care if a user's 10 means other user's 1, for me as long as they kill themselves in AD, I couldn't care less.

I think the "difference" here is more the focus rather than the score so I'll say it... That's where everything crumbles... If I rate a series 10/10 based on the entertainment, or how please I was watching the series, while a user rated it 1/10 for the lack of symbolism and bullshitry and you know, motifs and bs shit like that. Then there's that discourse, that we really ought to pay attention.

Well in the end, I don't really get why some people will just, literally blow up because someone rated LoGH 1/10 or SAO as 10/10. I personally can't rate LoGH because:

1) I haven't watch it
2) I don't

Although, I won't say SAO is 10/10 but it is definitely 9/10 for me
May 9, 2018 8:30 PM
Aug 2016
LaLeLuLiLo said:
Based said:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fJ8PvWS.jpg[img]

How can waifus be real if anime isn't real?

Now, that's a good question. really dinks ur dink
May 9, 2018 8:52 PM

Apr 2017
the point is dont take ratings TOO seriously

still life: pink roses
May 9, 2018 8:54 PM

May 2009
thewiru said:
I don't know if my 10 is the same ting as your 10
Perhaps my 8 may be your 7, some people don't rate anything below five, some people only rate things in 10's.

Considering all this, how can the average score of an anime make any cohesive sense if pretty much everyone rates their own way?
Well, anyone can take any set of numbers and calculate an average. Whether that average is meaningful is another story.

MAL scores roughly reflect fandom popularity, but they're honestly not too useful beyond that.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 10, 2018 2:55 AM

Feb 2013
le wisdom of the masses :^)^^)

if you ask 1000 people to say how many beans are in a jar, the answers will vary wildly but the average should be close to the real number of beans

of course you should take in consideration things like sequel effect, older/obscure/short stuff being watched more by people with big list and low averages, and maybe other
May 10, 2018 3:09 AM

Feb 2018
Yea everyone has a different rating system and everyone should rating is subjective so the scores aren't to reliable. They are just there to give you a general idea what the community thought about that anime.
May 10, 2018 3:25 AM

Jan 2015
It doesn't, but generally, if an anime is rated 7-8 or more I would consider it worth a watch since that would mean even the people who don't rate most of the anime very highly (including me I guess) gave it a decent number. That being said, I don't expect even those anime to be good, I just expect them to be decent.

May 10, 2018 3:28 AM

Mar 2015
it's general concencus.... your own view or the actual content of the series doesn't matter... it's not that important, but isn't complitely useless either...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 10, 2018 3:29 AM
Apr 2016
_Ako_ said:

I laugh pretty dryly and just want to kill myself. MAL scores are arbitrary just numbers taken out as answer that was used using the data, means the score of all users and did some math there... Now, I do not care if a user's 10 means other user's 1, for me as long as they kill themselves in AD, I couldn't care less.

I think the "difference" here is more the focus rather than the score so I'll say it... That's where everything crumbles... If I rate a series 10/10 based on the entertainment, or how please I was watching the series, while a user rated it 1/10 for the lack of symbolism and bullshitry and you know, motifs and bs shit like that. Then there's that discourse, that we really ought to pay attention.

Well in the end, I don't really get why some people will just, literally blow up because someone rated LoGH 1/10 or SAO as 10/10. I personally can't rate LoGH because:

1) I haven't watch it
2) I don't

i know why mal's rating system is broken, its because people like you, yea people who think sao is 9/10 lol
May 10, 2018 3:35 AM

Jul 2017
Striker-3649 said:
_Ako_ said:

1) I haven't watch it
2) I don't

i know why mal's rating system is broken, its because people like you, yea people who think sao is 9/10 lol

he just rated it because he enjoyed it a 9/10 how is that broken(assuming you're not a troll my dude)
EDIT: he doesn't even rate.
May 10, 2018 3:39 AM

Nov 2009
Because what the internet says, whether it's rating or review doesn't matter at all.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

May 10, 2018 5:33 AM
Aug 2016
>taking MAL's scores even SLIGHTLY seriously
>2018
?
May 10, 2018 6:40 AM

Jan 2017
Yup u are right, we cant judge an anime only on the basis of score. Its just useful to get a general idea bout a series.
May 10, 2018 6:41 AM

Apr 2016
Because masses tend to rate shit the same way.
May 10, 2018 6:49 AM

Oct 2015
Abundance of people rating highly, that's it really.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

May 10, 2018 2:24 PM

Dec 2016
and this is precisely one of the many reasons we should never take the scores THAT seriously, nor taking them at face value

May 10, 2018 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
Striker-3649 said:

You're late as fuck to the party, it's ok to like SAO again. The hate train derailed years ago.

Blame the Youtubers. They kill everything that's fun.
May 10, 2018 2:36 PM

Jun 2017
You do know how an average score works don't you? and that my 10 isn't the same as yours make this site more interesting man, think about it.

May 10, 2018 2:36 PM

Feb 2015
Striker-3649 said:
_Ako_ said:

1) I haven't watch it
2) I don't

Is it not acceptable to like SAO? I mean, did I not say that I enjoyed it?
May 10, 2018 2:38 PM
Apr 2016
Everytime i see threads like this, i assume op's favorite animes arent that highly rated and its just his/her internal burn that made such thread. And know what? I am right ~80% of times
May 10, 2018 2:43 PM

Oct 2017
Who actually even cares about MAL scores? Only reason I rate Anime is for myself, could care less about the overall score.
May 10, 2018 2:45 PM
Apr 2016
_Ako_ said:
Striker-3649 said:

_Ako_ said:
Striker-3649 said:

u enjoyed sao so u rated it 9, i regret watching tokyo ghoul so i rated it 1 so whats the problem in that? Thats why mal named it MEAN score, perfectly balanced!
May 10, 2018 2:48 PM

Feb 2015
Striker-3649 said:
_Ako_ said:

_Ako_ said:

u enjoyed sao so u rated it 9, i regret watching tokyo ghoul so i rated it 1 so whats the problem in that? Thats why mal named it MEAN score, perfectly balanced!

So, what's wrong having a mean score between 9 and 1?
May 10, 2018 2:51 PM

Dec 2016
What even is this question? As everyone here said, everyone rates things differently. MAL scores are nothing more than an indicator of the general site consensus (out of the people who watched the show of course). That's why they're there.
May 10, 2018 2:52 PM
Apr 2016
-SP- said:
Who actually even cares about MAL scores? Only reason I rate Anime is for myself, could care less about the overall score.
i can clearly see why u dont care about mal scores. I took a look at ur favorite shows and it clearly favored my previous comment, see i am right ~80% of times lol.
May 10, 2018 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
Striker-3649 said:
-SP- said:
i can clearly see why u dont care about mal scores. I took a look at ur favorite shows and it clearly favored my previous comment, see i am right ~80% of times lol.

Your scores don't make any sense, either. 10-9-8-7 then all of a sudden, BOOM, 1/10!
Have you literally never watched a single average anime?

If you're gonna troll, at least do what I did.
May 10, 2018 3:01 PM
Apr 2016
Padoru_Padoruuu said:
Striker-3649 said:

Your scores don't make any sense, either. 10-9-8-7 then all of a sudden, BOOM, 1/10!
Have you literally never watched a single average anime?

If you're gonna troll, at least do what I did.
i am not the one complaining about the rating system here. Sure it has some flaws but still its close to perfect. Yes ive watched too many average animes n felt like they arent worth keeping in my list thats y u dont see 2-6 scores in my list, as simple as that!
May 10, 2018 7:09 PM

Mar 2018
It would be cool if they added a feature that incorporated an adjustment for how harsh of a critic people are. Comparing your mean to the mean of the anime you've rated
May 10, 2018 7:12 PM

Apr 2013
Most people it seems rate more the same than differently. And an average score gives more insight when compared to other averages.
May 10, 2018 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
i don't really pay too much attention to scores here, especially seasonals.

there have been a lot of really good seasonal anime i've watched that i've seen with scores at 5-6..

one that i'm enjoying quite a bit this season is last period.

i'm also enjoying cutie honey universe, but i can understand why people don't like it. it's got an oldschool vibe to it, and i'm sure it doesn't sit well with newbs
May 10, 2018 7:22 PM
womp womp

Nov 2012
MAL scores are shit.

When you accumulate a wide range of data that isn't heavily specific and very openly up to interpretation, the findings may as well be fabricated. There's really no point in taking the MAL scores to heart besides the occasional "Well a lot of people like this show" argument weighted paper thin due to not having any relevant meaning to whether or not a show is any good.
May 10, 2018 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
Because its your own scores and everyone has a unique score they give to anime/manga based on their enjoyment. Plus MAL's score for a title is an average of all the scores. What a dumb question.
May 11, 2018 5:45 AM

Oct 2010
This again... MAL scores are numerical aggregations based on independent data. They are not supposed to make more sense than the basic statistic one.
May 11, 2018 5:51 AM

Mar 2017
This is actually quite a hard math that I'd been thinking over for a while, eventually, I decided to stop giving a crap to MAL's score and use the rating my own way. All the scoring on MAL right now is just there as a mean for me to have a look at the current trending of people, nothing more nothing left.
May 11, 2018 6:46 AM

Apr 2014
this applies to cooking competitions, many olympic sports, beauty pageants, and just about every other contest where contestants do not strive for tangible points (for example, a 3 pointer in basketball is a 3 pointer everywhere no matter where you are in the world, but even here the refs still have some major input on how the rules will be regulated during that contest)
May 11, 2018 6:52 AM

Aug 2015
thewiru said:

It doesn't make any sense in any way, anime score is useless.
May 11, 2018 7:33 AM

Jun 2015
I don't agree with those who would say that scores doesn't matter. They do matter, they are simply not a definitive and irreproachable way to judge something for the reasons that you sited and for other reasons as well.

May 11, 2018 9:02 AM

Jan 2016
The mal averages are just merely there as a barometer of sorts of public opinion. I mean if you want to gauge what people kinda think of a show for some reason then who cares about those details? Seriously. Comparing the various scores is enough to have a feel about how the public feels about certain shows. I don't see any reason why this even matters this much. Sure it's fun to see how your scores stack of to public opinion but I don't really see any other use for these averages scores other than this.
ethotMay 11, 2018 9:06 AM
May 11, 2018 10:58 AM
Apr 2017
A higher score means more people enjoyed it, and thus you're more likely to like it. It doesn't matter what people's individual rating system is, because higher numbers will always mean better, and finding an average of everyone's score gives a good idea of the general community's enjoyment of it. Obviously it doesn't make an unequivocal scale, that's just stupid, but it's a good way to judge the likelihood of enjoyment for people who don't have time to waste trying out everything that looks good.
May 11, 2018 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
How Can Scores Be Real If Our Eyes Aren’t Real
May 11, 2018 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
Well it's the average score and the chances are that if more people like the same anime, you might like it too. But like I always say, never judge an anime by it's ratings
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ?

ame - 5 hours ago

27 by JaniSIr »»
42 seconds ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

11 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» What are considered 'the best anime clothes'?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

28 by SgtBateMan »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

28 by SaltyCookie »»
1 hour ago

» i think most of us know anime is just a medium, but...

LenRea - 3 hours ago

9 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.