Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 5, 2018 2:42 PM
Oct 2017
i think that this would have been better if it was stretched over two episodes the pacing in this episode was just to fast
Jan 5, 2018 3:10 PM

Jun 2014
insta dropped, fucking garbage and this will have two cours, so fuck this shit
:3
Jan 5, 2018 3:17 PM
Jun 2016
the opening few minutes made me think of the anime from a few years ago I think it is that has in the first episode

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BrandonJan 7, 2018 4:17 AM
Jan 5, 2018 3:32 PM

Dec 2015
Aw man, I was kinda excited for this but the CG was really bad. Also the pacing was basically a blur. It could have been very interesting if it was more fleshed out. I'll prolly check out the next episode but not too optimistic.
Jan 5, 2018 3:32 PM

Sep 2011
LeeTailor said:
This episode had so little tension; it was way too easy to zone out. The assassin girl had some charisma, and I liked the music (as underused as it was), but that's about all I took away from this episode.

Mai88 said:
I trust in Studio Gokumi.

Toji no Miko has a director with no series directing credits (he wasn't on YuYuYu). For the guy who did the series composition here, has done the series composition for NetoYome and Eromanga Sensei (plus Idolmaster Cinderella, Koukaku no Pandora, and also Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san from this season), which is not a very good sign.

Overall, the main creative team seems to have little in common with previous Studio Gokumi projects. For example, the music composer (Yukari Hashimoto - credits include Sangatsu no Lion, Yuri Kuma Arashi and Penguindrum) and the two chief animation directors didn't work on YuYuYu, Kiniro Mosaic or Tsuredzure Children. So far the only connection I've made is that the sound director also did YuYuYu, and the art director did Tsuredzure Children.

My point is that trusting this show to deliver, just because Studio Gokumi is handling animation production, might be a bit of a stretch.

Yes, you're perfectly right, sorry. I should have looked up the staff before, but it's still Studio Gokumi and even if they might have new (or different) staff, they should better not mess this up because it's their reputation that's going to hurt.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to more.
Jan 5, 2018 3:35 PM

Jun 2012
Upon second viewing this really is like Kancolle-Alter. I still adore Yoshinori's character designs and may follow the show just for the cute girls.... but my analytical side can't help but have fun with the comparisons.

Abyssals ---> Aradama (with matching shitty CG)

Fleet Girls ---> Toji (Shrine Maidens)

Navy Blue ---> Samurai Red

I don't know, but it's like I can already see the character archetypes. Like right after Kancolle a production team had a group meeting and said - "okay, here me out guys.... Kancolle..... but with SWORDS! Now how do we try to make this work? It has to be different, but not TOO different."

luigi-dudeJan 5, 2018 3:42 PM
Jan 5, 2018 3:48 PM
Nov 2017
The CG at some parts were horrible. The monster didn't bother me however just at the end, when the 2 girls are running away, the CG looked juddery and not very smooth which left a bad taste as it was the final scene for that episode. However, as I typically don't judge animes on the CG/animation (unless its so bad that its unwatchable), as its decently interesting, at the moment, I'd give it an okay, not great but not bad.
Jan 5, 2018 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
Fight scenes are nice.

Wow, the girl with the huge-ass sword didn't even try, did she?
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 5, 2018 4:19 PM

Jun 2017
Totally watching this. The short character with the catgirl hairstyle and huge sword is all the reason I need to watch this.

Jan 5, 2018 4:36 PM

Nov 2014
I'm not sure about this one, the first half of the episode I was sure I was going to drop it but then it got noticeably better once the competition started and the ending raised so many questions, I think I'll give this one a couple more episodes.
Forum Signature
Jan 5, 2018 4:40 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I'm really liking this one. Looks promising and hoping to know more about each characters. The fight scenes don't look that bad and this has been only the first episode. Honestly, I was glad when I found out that this would be a 2-cour. Hoping that the length could explain more about the series and more character development.

The art style really reminds me of KanColle but I like KanColle too so hey! :P
Jan 5, 2018 4:43 PM

Aug 2014
EtoileSosso said:
Huh, so her face doesn't reflect on the mirror, huh...

The opening had me even more confused on what the anime is supposed to be about. I thought this was involving some kind of monsters the Toji must beat but I guess I was wrong.

The character designs are nice. But god I hate it when there's too much CGI.

Also, Ayanokoji.
thats obviously mio from k-on in the relfection
Jan 5, 2018 5:09 PM

Jun 2017
Kotori_Sonoda said:
Fight scenes are nice.

Wow, the girl with the huge-ass sword didn't even try, did she?

No fucks were given that day, she just wants to wreck big ass fire bugs xD. No time for silly competitions lmao.

She became an instant favorite XD.
Jan 5, 2018 5:11 PM

Dec 2017
I was pretty bored, so unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be picking this one up.

Also, the Ayanokouji name triggered me.
Jan 5, 2018 5:20 PM

Aug 2013
Yet another generic all girls fight club series...come on really? I'm not impressed after this first episode but I'm willing to at least give it the 3 ep rule to see whether or not it's worth the time.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 5, 2018 5:20 PM
Jan 2018
I like how there's a difference between PvE and PvP skills. Some Mikos are better at the latter than the former and vice versa.
Jan 5, 2018 6:29 PM
Jul 2017
Worst first ep I've watched this season.
Jan 5, 2018 8:04 PM

May 2016
Looks fun, and the first episode ends on a cliffhanger.

I'm gonna give this show another round or two before deciding to drop em or not. Animation is jaw-dropping that's for sure
Jan 5, 2018 8:14 PM

May 2012
This was better than what expected. Good fights and girls look good too. I am glad that this will be 24 episode long

Tomico91 said:

Yuru camp and Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san are worst u watched this season. No plot no action bad looking girls no fun. No idea how people (specially males) could like these kinds of shows
Jan 5, 2018 8:23 PM

Jan 2011
i'm a swordnut so i see that and girls i watch, wasn't really expecting much from this anyway but it pretty much is sword girls ,was turned off by the start thought it was gonna a monster of a week still could be and the use of CGI isn't that great at least most of the one on one fights aren't fully done with them.

ill see how this go on board for Eren's team her partner uses a odachi that is ironicly twice the size of her.

that final match scene was pretty dumb though not sure how you can logically think helping the person attacking the judge is the right thing to do just because she didn't fight you lol.
Jan 5, 2018 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
The art & animation personally I thought pretty but the story well... its kinda bland! The first episode of any anime usually produce some sort of interest but this was quite awkward tbh(this whole fighting should have taken at next episode).
Didn't see OP yet to get the gist of the story's theme but I will give it another two or one episode chance before dropping. Oh yes, the action scenes were at least good though!
Jan 5, 2018 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
The story & character is cliche/boring, but art/animation/soundtrack is fine. Dropped for now.
Jan 5, 2018 10:34 PM

Mar 2009
Pretty bad but I might keep watching for Satsuki.
Jan 5, 2018 10:34 PM

Oct 2008
girls in katana's and various stances huh...let's see
okay, this is one of the few first episodes that I didn't even understand what's going on? Why did Juujuu suddenly attack the officials and then ran away like fugitives!?
but those sword fight was nice, problem is more CG used...
4/5.

and yes, good noticeable difference between PvE & PvP
matias067Jan 5, 2018 10:38 PM

Jan 5, 2018 11:02 PM

Jun 2013
Mai88 said:
LeeTailor said:
trusting this show to deliver, just because Studio Gokumi is handling animation production, might be a bit of a stretch.

Yes, you're perfectly right, sorry. I should have looked up the staff before, but it's still Studio Gokumi and even if they might have new (or different) staff, they should better not mess this up because it's their reputation that's going to hurt.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to more.

There's no reason for you to apologize. I understand what it's like to be attached to a studio. I just think it's generally a good idea to be aware of the limitations of the influence that studios have on the quality of on anime production. (Wow, that sentence was a mouthful.)

thepath said:
Yuru camp and Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san are worst u watched this season. No plot no action bad looking girls no fun. No idea how people (specially males) could like these kinds of shows

I can't discuss RDK, but Yuru Camp has very impressive production values. They nailed the things that matter most in a slice-of-life show of that kind: beautiful backgrounds, establishing the two characters with animation, not just dialogue (the way Rin sets up camp like a pro, and the way Nadeshiko goes to town on that cup of noodles like it's the best thing she's ever tasted), and a gentle and relaxing soundtrack. On how people can like those kinds of shows: not everyone is looking for nail-biting excitement all the time - it's just a matter of taste.
LeeTailorJan 5, 2018 11:11 PM
Jan 6, 2018 12:02 AM

Jun 2017
I had a lot of fun on Google Earth from this episode because so many of the background are easily identifiable. The scene around Kamakura station is the best, down to the various shops and local landmarks.
Jan 6, 2018 12:47 AM

Sep 2015
DedPanda said:
Yet another generic all girls fight club series...come on really? I'm not impressed after this first episode but I'm willing to at least give it the 3 ep rule to see whether or not it's worth the time.

Lol 3 ep rule doesn't really apply to series with 2 episodes which tend to be slow pace.
Jan 6, 2018 1:41 AM

Oct 2011
Female version of Touken Ranbu hanamaru. yay 😍
Jan 6, 2018 2:10 AM

Jan 2018
This was so boring ... But i will give it a chance
Jan 6, 2018 3:05 AM

Dec 2010
A bit generic for the first episode but the cast is interesting and the cliffanger at the end keep me interested.
Jan 6, 2018 4:52 AM

Aug 2008
I'm already used to shows so bad you need only couple of minutes to know it's garbage, but this was so bad it made me feel the cold realisation I just wasted couple of minutes of my life I could spend looking into empty space.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 6, 2018 5:05 AM

Jul 2017
Not completely and irremediably terrible but I wouldn't say it was good either.

For some reason I seem to like the characters, stupid and unreasonable actions aside, and I'm somewhat interested on their fighting style. I did wonder what would happen if, on an innocent fight between friends, that (corporal projection? barrier?) that they used didn't work and their swords where to cut flesh. But I highly doubt they will do anything interesting in that direction, sadly.

For now, I'm dropping it. I may return to it latter if it gets good reactions.
Jan 6, 2018 5:13 AM
Mar 2015
No need for men here cause we are cute girls with swords
Jan 6, 2018 5:41 AM

Jun 2012
This was pretty awesome. Cool monster design in the beginning, though the animation felt a little off. I like the fighting styles too, though the whole thing with attacking Yukari was a bit rushed.
Jan 6, 2018 6:37 AM

Dec 2010
StopShot said:
Totally watching this. The short character with the catgirl hairstyle and huge sword is all the reason I need to watch this.

Ah ah that was priceless. :D
Jan 6, 2018 6:40 AM

Dec 2014
intense episode with occasional fan service and female protagonist while having a super natural plot in between....yep not my cup of tea
Jan 6, 2018 8:21 AM

Feb 2017
Cute girls with swords. Nothing special, but I'll stick it out for a couple more eps. The monster was ugly af.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Jan 6, 2018 9:45 AM

Apr 2009
Kancolle x Ga-Rei Zero? What is the point of this show existing exactly? It seems like just another generic slog with unimaginative characters who just act according to what the plot dictates.

Jan 6, 2018 11:29 AM
Jul 2017
thepath said:
This was better than what expected. Good fights and girls look good too. I am glad that this will be 24 episode long

Tomico91 said:

While I agree Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san was almost as bad as this I think Yuru Camp was pretty solid, you don't need fan service to make a great show.
Jan 6, 2018 1:58 PM

Feb 2007
For an anime original, this sure feels much more rushed and less detailed than the manga version (although it did have a couple of new details as well). Although thanks to this it also gives less of this suspicious creepy feeling about things - at least at first, there's still a bit of it coming through at the end of the episode.
Jan 6, 2018 3:26 PM

Feb 2013
Generic girly action.

On the bright side... they didn't waste the entire series with the tournament. Done in 1 episode... impressive.

(likely to drop)
Jan 6, 2018 4:22 PM

Jul 2015
Attack of the Giant CG Worm... the anime... featuring nothing of interest. Just girls with weapons fighting some sort of lame monsters... cause... WHO CARES ABOUT ORIGINALITY RIGHT? ... wait no they are fighting each other... whatever, I only came for the cute girls anyway and if I can watch Battle Girl High School Battle Girl Project THEN THERE'S NO LIMIT TO WHAT I CAN WATCH... No... that was probably my limit actually. Anyway I started skipping parts of this episode because of the lack of interest, up until the tournament bit. And umm... I'm slightly interested in whats gonna happen next sooo... guess I'll be around next episode. But I'm lowering my already quite low expectations.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 6, 2018 4:38 PM
May 2015
Contrary to most people, I like this? Tournament part was interesting and quick, Difference in PvE vs PvP skills, Dumb yet Smart MC (She knows all fighting styles apparently yet helps a wannabee assasin) and the Conspiracy didn't take half the show to build up (so they have ALL 24 eps to reveal stuff instead of just bits and pieces before the Conspiracy reveal)....

I'll probably never watch Yuru Camp and Ramen Koizumi cause I hate pure SoL, I need drama etc to get invested not just cute girls doing whatever and speaking of that......Toji no Miko didn't feel Moe to me like everybody says but whatev

In terms of a bad first episode.....so far I'd have to give that to Grancrest Senki for SUPER obvious reasons
Jan 6, 2018 5:04 PM

Jun 2013
jlutholtz said:

The character that was established for Kanami is all wrong. She is less reserved and more spirited than her friend Mai, but she doesn't seem like the kind of person who would bail Hiyori out without hesitation: someone who is impulsive, has no respect for authority, and loves fighting more than anything. Essentially, a stereotypical delinquent.

If she is the kind of character that we got to know in the episode proper, there needs to be proper setup. For example:

- set up: Kanami runs into Hiyori on the street. The sword starts acting weird, so they make eye contact. (Slow motion effect.) Kanami sees something in Hiyori's eyes (anger, longing etc.) and/or simply finds her attractive.

- reminder: while spectating the duels, Kanami briefly recalls the mysterious girl and/or spots her somewhere during the duels

- payoff: Kanami duels Hiyori, and after the assassination attempt, she saves her without thinking. In those few seconds that it takes for them to leap outside, she wonders to herself why she's doing this. She guesses it's because she wants to give her the chance to explain herself, but she's not sure if that's really it. Outside, Hiyori demands to know why Kanami saved her. Kanami dodges the question by saying that they still have a duel to finish, and reminds the other girl that they need to get moving (as she doesn't know that they're not being chased). Hiyori says she has an idea for a hideout, and they take off. While on the move, Kanami is thinking "maybe this was the excitement I was really looking for" or something similarly cliché and sentimental.
LeeTailorJan 6, 2018 5:07 PM
Jan 6, 2018 5:28 PM

Apr 2009
LeeTailor said:
jlutholtz said:

The character that was established for Kanami is all wrong. She is less reserved and more spirited than her friend Mai, but she doesn't seem like the kind of person who would bail Hiyori out without hesitation: someone who is impulsive, has no respect for authority, and loves fighting more than anything. Essentially, a stereotypical delinquent.

If she is the kind of character that we got to know in the episode proper, there needs to be proper setup.

I might have been able to buy it if, right as the assassination attempt is happening, we get some kind of flash to how Kanami reacts to all this, but yes, it doesn't add up with the character we got to know this episode. While Kanami might be fight-obsessed and a bit of an air-head, that doesn't equate to "Oh no, my opponent just gave up on our match to pursue some vendetta. I've gotta help her!" If anything, her character up to this point would have more likely just stood there stunned (air-headed) or taken personal offense that the girl didn't even take their fight seriously (fight-obsessed). Simply, it all just adds up to being a weird contrivance that might not even add up to anything given Origami's apparent indifference to the attempt, seeing it as merely an opportunity to observe the girl's skills. I might watch one more episode to see if this goes anywhere, but I'm not holding out hope.
Jan 6, 2018 5:46 PM

Nov 2011
Okay...so is this a Ga Rei Zero rip off where these girls fight monsters? I just scratched my head thinking about the other anime it reminded me of and that's "School Girl Strikers". My goodness that is not a good thing.

Like It started off action packed...and then bullshit...and then it picked up with good animation (side note: the animation in the beginning against that centipede was fucking terrible) but then...like they didnt even bake the cake they just took all of the ingredients and put the icing right on top of the raw ingredients.

This chick goes right in and attacks the head of the house hold...loses and then AND THEN the MC saves her...like this bitch just went in for the kill and you're SAVING HER?!?!?!

WHAT KIND OF LOGIC IS THAT?!?!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 6, 2018 5:46 PM

Jun 2013
jlutholtz said:
I might have been able to buy it if, right as the assassination attempt is happening, we get some kind of flash to how Kanami reacts to all this, but yes, it doesn't add up with the character we got to know this episode. While Kanami might be fight-obsessed and a bit of an air-head, that doesn't equate to "Oh no, my opponent just gave up on our match to pursue some vendetta. I've gotta help her!" If anything, her character up to this point would have more likely just stood there stunned (air-headed) or taken personal offense that the girl didn't even take their fight seriously (fight-obsessed). Simply, it all just adds up to being a weird contrivance that might not even add up to anything given Origami's apparent indifference to the attempt, seeing it as merely an opportunity to observe the girl's skills. I might watch one more episode to see if this goes anywhere, but I'm not holding out hope.

What also baffles me is Kanami's relative lack of reaction. It's one thing that she bails out Hiyori for seemingly no good reason, but she also doesn't seem to be fazed by any of it. Which either means that assassination attempts are commonplace in this world, or just bad writing.
Jan 6, 2018 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
Will this end in an anticlimactic like haifuri. Both started as generic moeblob but ended in an intense manner. Likely to drop after 1 course.
Jan 6, 2018 6:39 PM

Jul 2017
Seemed average to me but will see ep2

Lanz said:

I lasted 500 seconds

Quick shot.
Jan 7, 2018 12:39 AM

May 2009
CGI was jarring especially for girls. First 2 cour show for Gokumi means there will be a lot of cutting corners but last moments of first episode were interesting.
luigi-dude said:
Upon second viewing this really is like Kancolle-Alter. I still adore Yoshinori's character designs and may follow the show just for the cute girls.... but my analytical side can't help but have fun with the comparisons.
[...]
I don't know, but it's like I can already see the character archetypes. Like right after Kancolle a production team had a group meeting and said - "okay, here me out guys.... Kancolle..... but with SWORDS! Now how do we try to make this work? It has to be different, but not TOO different."

Not swords, Sword Girls or rather Katana Maidens™. Kancolle with swords is Touken Ranbu. Just like these it TnM also has mobile game announced.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2018

43 by nhkam »»
Jul 13, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4, 2018

25 by Foreall908 »»
Dec 8, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11, 2018

27 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 28, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

17 by IAMQT »»
Oct 21, 2022 12:06 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 21 Discussion

Rob - Dec 29, 2018

2 by I-yas-yes »»
Jul 29, 2022 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.