Forum Settings
Forums

How Much Anime Does It Take To Watch To Make You A Veteran

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2016 1:00 PM
Dec 2015
I've seen and know a lot of anime's but I don't know if I'm an anime veteran or not. I think that if you have a lot anime knowledge it will make you a veteran. it doesn't matter if you've seen 50 animes or 1000. It's all depends on how much time and effort you put in on these Chinese cartoons.
Jul 7, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2016
DateYutaka said:
zpenrith said:

So people who where born when Astro Boy came out are fucked

nope since they have the advtage of have the ur to watch and then if in incuding non tv and then you have duoga witch goes bakc as faras 1918 the first ever anime

It depends what the definition of anime is, you could argue Momotarō no Umiwashi a 1943 propaganda film is the first anime, but I personally argue Astro Boy because Astro Boy is the first piece of Japanese Animation to resemble the style that it is still in today.

Tarotist said:
I say it is when you have seen all of the top 100...
I guess, but it's always good to gather your own opinions of some more niche anime that may not be in the top 100

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedSep 24, 2016 8:46 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2016 1:19 PM

Oct 2012
greipfrutas said:
more than thousand tv series yea i would count such person as veteran

Agree with this. Or perhaps 300+ days and/or 2000+ completed anime.
Jul 7, 2016 1:59 PM

Dec 2012
To be a veteran of anime you need to have seen a few hundred shows of varying genres, demographics, and quality.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 7, 2016 1:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Gesu- said:

It took me forever to get to 70.
Stop discrediting me!! some people have lives you know

it took you forever? son, thats like 3 seasons of anime for me lol... but sometimes less since i do the occasional marathon..... and i work nearly full time as well at go to school.... as well as being part of a gaming community

i consider a veteran someone who has grown a large completion number over a number of years... i mean ANYONE can watch a movie or 1 ep ova a day and reach 365 completions in one year, that don't make them a veteran lol

i consider myself a veteran as ive been into pretty much only anime since i was like 8, which was back in 1998 lol.... i was all over picture sites a few years after that too, as well as anime related magazines and manga...... and like i said, ive been watching online for 7 years now

i mean, i watched Clannad 7 years ago, (obviously one of the first i watched online) as apposed to some ppl who only just got into anime last year or the year before lol. i didn't even know it was such a big anime back then. i mean a lot of you newer people missed many of the hype trains lol

its hard to say really though as i feel on paper anyone whos been into anime for over a decade is a veteran, but if all they've seen are like 50 shows, does that really matter lol?
Jul 7, 2016 2:20 PM
Jun 2016
team yukinoooo,
oh just forget, wrong timing.
Jul 7, 2016 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
If they've completed at least 1 anime, they're a veteran in my book

Jul 7, 2016 3:07 PM

Jul 2016
Watched anime for several years, at least 200-300 completed and watched anime from alot of different genres and ages
Jul 7, 2016 3:12 PM

Apr 2014
If you have 200+ days worth of anime, you're more likely a masochist than a veteran. There's no good anime left to watch at that stage.
Jul 7, 2016 3:47 PM

Jan 2014
An anime veteran? Honestly I would only consider people who have actually worked in the actual production of anime for X amount of years in some way a veteran. Like production, composing music, drawing art for a show, etc. etc the list goes on.

Watching a lot of anime just means you watched a lot of anime, nothing more nothing less.
Jul 7, 2016 4:14 PM

Jul 2012
Personally I would say 365 days would be the benchmark that I consider I veteran. A person who has dedicated a full year to anything I would hope has some intermediate knowledge related to the topic. They might have basic knowledge of a large number of material, or maybe they really focused on a particular genre, or even focusing much more on the industry aspect. I wouldn't say a veteran has to be an expert on every type of topic.
As for how many completed entries it takes to reach that point I wouldn't say it matters.
GamerDLMJul 7, 2016 4:18 PM
Jul 7, 2016 5:04 PM

Jun 2014
0 - Never seen anime.
1 - 25 - New to anime
26 - 100 - Becoming a fan phase
101 - 199 - Experienced
200 - 450 - Veteran
451 - 999 - Hardcore fan
1000+ - Top Tier Fan
Jul 7, 2016 5:13 PM

Jan 2008
When the amount of time you spent is equal to or more than that of a year. This way, it counteracts all those who add a bunch of MV, specials, movies, ovas and all those shorts shows. Good luck.
Jul 7, 2016 6:05 PM

Jul 2015
No exact number, but I suppose that it's around when you watched a lot of the popular/high rated stuff from different years to have a general knowledge.

I can't consider myself a veteran at all for example, while I watched a decent number of anime from the last 3-4 years, I can't talk at all about old anime because I just haven't watched them, no NGE, no Cowboy Bebop, no Trigun, no nothing.

I think that from before 2000 I only watched Lain and GTO, that are from 1999, and Golden Boy, nothing else.
Jul 7, 2016 6:14 PM

Feb 2015
I'd say 100+ like actual series not movies, OVAs etc
Jul 7, 2016 6:49 PM

Jul 2014
This has proably has already been said but I think it just takes having many/ a lomg experience with anime.
Jul 7, 2016 7:40 PM

Apr 2014
What im mainly seeing a repeat of

~ 200+ or 500+ you completed makes you a vet
~ More then average knowledge of different genres
~ Completed Old anime
~ Days watched #
~ @Mamster-P been a veteran
~ To be able to give a good amount of recommendations & reviews from the anime they've seen
Jul 7, 2016 7:43 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Paul said:
When the amount of time you spent is equal to or more than that of a year. This way, it counteracts all those who add a bunch of MV, specials, movies, ovas and all those shorts shows. Good luck.

how do you check for that?

Mr_Perv_ said:
What im mainly seeing a repeat of

~ 200+ or 500+ you completed makes you a vet
~ More then average knowledge of different genres
~ Completed Old anime
~ Days watched #
~ @Mamster-P been a veteran
~ To be able to give a good amount of recommendations & reviews from the anime they've seen

thank you based Pokemon.... lol ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 7, 2016 7:48 PM
Jan 2015
-Taicho- said:
Salokannel2 said:
Yeah I thought something like this also.

I mean, I guess you are a "veteran" when you can easily recommend other people anime they will enjoy?
Yup, what these two said ^^^^
Can't call yourself a veteran if you've not seen a wide varieties of shows.

Yep I agree too!!!
I think u can call yourself a veteran when u have knowledge of all genres and can recommend anime in all genres...
Which reminds me I have to update my profile.... I am actually 1000+ and I only have like 300 on my profile... Updating is so boring......
DraconioSchifferJul 7, 2016 7:53 PM
Jul 7, 2016 7:52 PM

Jul 2012
Mamster-P said:
Paul said:

Total days spent on your anime stats section of your profile, or on the stats bar at the top of your list. If it's above 365 days it's above a year, for pretty self explanatory reasons.
Jul 7, 2016 7:54 PM
Aug 2015
hoopla123 said:
At least 200+ without including OVA

i think ova should count but its has
to be a stand alone series eg: Asa Made Jugyou Chu!

not a extra episode in a already existing series
eg: to love ru darkness 2 OVA
Jul 7, 2016 7:59 PM
Mar 2011
zpenrith said:
DateYutaka said:

nope since they have the advtage of have the ur to watch and then if in incuding non tv and then you have duoga witch goes bakc as faras 1918 the first ever anime

It depends what the definition of anime is, you could argue Momotarō no Umiwashi a 1943 propaganda film is the first anime, but I personally argue Astro Boy because Astro Boy is the first piece of Japanese Animation to resemble the style that it is still in today.

that before the 60's its was called douga written in kanji while anime as you know in Japanese is written in kana
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 7, 2016 8:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
GamerDLM said:
Mamster-P said:

Total days spent on your anime stats section of your profile, or on the stats bar at the top of your list. If it's above 365 days it's above a year, for pretty self explanatory reasons.

mine is only 96.7 but i think its so low cause i didn't originally update each episode, i'd just set to watching, then when i was done with the show, i'd set as completed. idk, does that have an effect on it?
Jul 7, 2016 8:10 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm I guess me. I have slightly over 600 anime watched with a good variety in their ranging from all time periods. Mainly the 2000s but I didn't even watch anime until around 5 years ago.
Jul 7, 2016 8:40 PM

Aug 2015
I only watched about 100 anime... I still find myself a newbie tho..

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jul 7, 2016 8:53 PM

Jul 2012
Mamster-P said:
GamerDLM said:

mine is only 96.7 but i think its so low cause i didn't originally update each episode, i'd just set to watching, then when i was done with the show, i'd set as completed. idk, does that have an effect on it?

Nope it just counts the total time for the series/movies/ovas/etc. based on the average episode duration for each part of the list.
Jul 7, 2016 9:00 PM

Jan 2015
Or everyone who has mean of 5.00/4.50???? @zombie_pegasus doesn't count coz that pinky watch MOE MOE bs
Jul 7, 2016 9:02 PM

May 2016
Konte said:
Or everyone who has mean of 5.00/4.50????

That just means they wasted a bunch of their goddamn time watching shit when they could have been watching something good instead. I got work, son. No way in hell am I gonna sit around and watch a fuckload of mediocre tosh during my precious free time. Ain't nobody got time for that.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 7, 2016 9:20 PM

Nov 2008
hoopla123 said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes' 110 episodes went straight to video. OVA, short or long, are as valid as series. I feel that a lot of anime watchers should be seeing more movies too, especially if they care about quality of animation and concise storytelling. I think a veteran is someone who has seen a varied selection of at least 500 anime, most of them on the older side.

Jul 7, 2016 9:23 PM

Jun 2014
Five. Then you'll know everything about Japanese Animation
Jul 7, 2016 9:23 PM
Oct 2010
GamerDLM said:
Personally I would say 365 days would be the benchmark that I consider I veteran. A person who has dedicated a full year to anything I would hope has some intermediate knowledge related to the topic. They might have basic knowledge of a large number of material, or maybe they really focused on a particular genre, or even focusing much more on the industry aspect. I wouldn't say a veteran has to be an expert on every type of topic.
As for how many completed entries it takes to reach that point I wouldn't say it matters.

Took me like 20 years just to get to 96 days, holy shit lol
Jul 7, 2016 10:08 PM

Apr 2014
GD1551 said:
GamerDLM said:

Took me like 20 years just to get to 96 days, holy shit lol

Been watching anime for 7 years & only got up to 135 days i feel like I've been cheated
Jul 7, 2016 10:09 PM

Nov 2015
hoopla123 said:

OH MAN! I'm coming up hot on my veteran status lol. Only been watching for a few years and I'm a veteran... feels like yesterday I was just a little rookie... full of piss and vinegar ready to watch anything. Look at me now!
Jul 7, 2016 10:14 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
GamerDLM said:
Mamster-P said:

Nope it just counts the total time for the series/movies/ovas/etc. based on the average episode duration for each part of the list.

thats what i had originally thought lol...

damn, mine is low as shit then lol... but i don't watch really long series and my movie number is low, so maybe thats why
Jul 7, 2016 10:15 PM

Feb 2016
1. total days spent watching anime : 100 or more
2. has LoGH and candy candy on their complete list
Jul 7, 2016 10:15 PM

Jan 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Konte said:
Or everyone who has mean of 5.00/4.50????
Ain't nobody got time for that.

So you're sayin' that critics wasted their time??? U know, youtube reviewers and shit....unless they're shut-in freaks with no SI....
Jul 7, 2016 10:22 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
like i said before, as far as completion numbers go... i consider movies to be cheating, and sometimes ovas, although its a bit better since many ovas are miniature series

TV anime actually take time to watch, so i feel it must be at least 1/2 your list. i'd say about 8 years of anime watching is enough, that includes anime you watched on TV

im not impressed by a completion list of 700 that only has 250 TV anime lol

but ofc, veteran has to do with time, so back to the 8 or more years thing lol
Jul 7, 2016 11:11 PM

Apr 2014
Mamster-P said:
like i said before, as far as completion numbers go... i consider movies to be cheating, and sometimes ovas, although its a bit better since many ovas are miniature series

TV anime actually take time to watch, so i feel it must be at least 1/2 your list. i'd say about 8 years of anime watching is enough, that includes anime you watched on TV

So if i follow what you're saying here next year would make it 8 years I've been watching anime & I've completed 370 animes & half of 370 is 185 & i have 175 tv anime completed so then I'd just have to watch 10 more tv type animes. So by next year i would be a veteran in anime
Jul 7, 2016 11:13 PM
Sep 2015
500+ i guess haha i only watch around 70 :c
Jul 7, 2016 11:30 PM

Oct 2014
Konte said:
Or everyone who has mean of 5.00/4.50???? @zombie_pegasus doesn't count coz that pinky watch MOE MOE bs
Why would taste affect whether if someone is a veteran or not? Also, why would mean score have anything to do with being a veteran? Although mean score may decrease over time and your taste may become more mature over time, these are directly correlated with how much time you have spent in the community or how wide a variety of anime knowledge you have.

hoopla123 said:
How about instead of arbitrary excluding OVAs you could set it as "movies, excluding movies under 40 minutes, and all anime with more than 1 episode". This would include every it needs to. I have completed 242 anime with at least two episodes and 26 feature-length movies. However, I still wouldn't refer to myself as a veteran. I've only been watching anime for two years and I don't watch too much every day. I've completed 145 full length (100+ minutes) TV series which is a fair bit, but it's much less than other people. Other people might also have higher standards for what a full length TV series is.
Jul 7, 2016 11:46 PM

Jan 2015
@zombie_pegasus ,but you're only watching MOE cartoons...when will you watch smh like Gundam first movies, or 80's gore-ish cartoons???? You can be veteran only on MOE cartoons with girls , girls, girls, girls and more grills...Or I'm seeing/imagining that you're enjoying only that type of cartoons??? Cuz you're always talking/writing about how you like them all the time....in every possible thread....I'm tired af....I want sleep & I'm talking nonsenses again :)
Jul 7, 2016 11:55 PM

Sep 2011
My completed list has 690 entries with 185 days watched. I've been watching since December 2010 meaning I have averaged about 2 hours 15 minutes a day since then. I still do not consider myself a "veteran". I can say that I recognize a majority of the tropes, patterns, and directions of a lot of shows at this point, but there is a lot I know I haven't experienced yet. I actively avoid the sports, mecha, magic girl, hentai, and idol genres, so it would be silly to call myself a veteran if I have not experienced everything that is offered. I also do not follow any anime news, studios, or people.

I'd say a veteran is somebody who is extremely familiar with every genre and follows the news of the industry.
Jul 7, 2016 11:57 PM

Oct 2014
Konte said:
@zombie_pegasus ,but you're only watching MOE cartoons...when will you watch smh like Gundam first movies, or 80's gore-ish cartoons???? You can be veteran only on MOE cartoons with girls , girls, girls, girls and more grills...Or I'm seeing/imagining that you're enjoying only that type of cartoons??? Cuz you're always talking/writing about how you like them all the time....in every possible thread....I'm tired af....I want sleep & I'm talking nonsenses again :)
Gundam looks pretty boring, to be honest. I liked Berserk which is kinda bloody, but without the awesome characters and their interactions with each other it would have also been boring. Akira was honestly one of the most boring and pointless anime I've seen as it basically had nothing going on. Bartender was a good and mature anime that aired about 10 years ago and didn't have any blood. I watch anime for entertainment and so if something bores me then I won't watch it. I actually have more patience for anime than I do for manga; pretty much every manga I've ever read was moe. I'm not going to push myself through an anime that I know I won't enjoy just because some kid on the internet told me to. If I have sufficient evidence that it will be good then I will watch it, but otherwise I won't. Plenty of moe anime are shit too, but I'm willing to put up with them being a bit worse since the character designs are so good.
Jul 8, 2016 12:16 AM
Jul 2016
well i seen 35 anime so far but i consider myself a newbie . I am picky and i dont just watch any anime i love to see an anime worth my time so i choose carefully)
Jul 8, 2016 1:45 AM

Nov 2008
This question is the same if you ask – "If you have jerked off 1 trillion times does that make you a sex master?"
Jul 8, 2016 2:01 AM
Jul 2016
I really had watched 200+ anime and i am still watching a i a Veteran?
Jul 8, 2016 2:23 AM

Mar 2009
I've completed 2300+ series and I still think I'm pretty much a newbie when to comes to watching anime.
Jul 8, 2016 3:20 AM
Dec 2015
I think the thing that makes you a veteran is how much time you spend to watch anime or how long you dedicate your life for anime.
Jul 8, 2016 4:01 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Mr_Perv_ said:
Mamster-P said:

So if i follow what you're saying here next year would make it 8 years I've been watching anime & I've completed 370 animes & half of 370 is 185 & i have 175 tv anime completed so then I'd just have to watch 10 more tv type animes. So by next year i would be a veteran in anime

LMAO well i guess so lol.... although i did say i'd prefer about 300 TV anime lol, at least you have the time part on your hands

@vegetosayajin

that is the MOST TROLL signature, you got me for a second xD
Jul 8, 2016 4:29 AM

Apr 2014
Mamster-P said:
Mr_Perv_ said:

LMAO well i guess so lol.... although i did say i'd prefer about 300 TV anime lol, at least you have the time part on your hands

@vegetosayajin

that is the MOST TROLL signature, you got me for a second xD
"it must be at least 1/2 your list" thats what you said not 300
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is there less demand for ecchi, hentai, sexual fanservice this days?

deg - 34 minutes ago

4 by 3miL »»
1 minute ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

119 by 3miL »»
2 minutes ago

» AMV HELL 8.5 Is Out

RareAnimeHunter - 10 hours ago

8 by RareAnimeHunter »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

95 by RareAnimeHunter »»
4 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

719 by ryzxgum »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.