Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 10, 2015 10:31 AM

Nov 2014
I've recently watched like 3 episodes of steins;gate and i don't understand a thing about story or if there is about to be a plot. I heard it's a great anime and people always score it a 10, but i feel like i'ts to complicated to understands. I usually really love a psychological anime or series.
So does it get better and more easier to understand or should I just not watch it anymore?

Thankyoouuu!
Dec 10, 2015 10:35 AM

Feb 2013
there are some animes which have an incredible slow start ^^
steins gate is 1 of them... and you wont understand everything till ep 3... well the plot starts around the half, till then its pretty lighthearted ^^ but if you like psychological you should try to continue :P

The only thing you know at ep 3 is, that she lives :D despite him seeing her dead :P
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Dec 10, 2015 10:37 AM

May 2014
I've heard a lot of people complaining about Steins;Gate, that the first few episode got you lost like hell, but, if I remember correctly, it got 9.18/10 on MAL, and totaly deserve it.

You should keep going, I can't tell you to drop it out, 'cause, for me, it's a master piece.
But not everyone would enjoy it !

I'll say, give it a try, and if it really doesn't please you, drop it :)
Dec 10, 2015 10:38 AM

Sep 2009
Yeahh, it's really slow and doesn't have much for plot in the beginning. But it does get more interesting and more ridiculous; it'd probably be a 10 if you can get over how "dumb" a lot of things in it are.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 10, 2015 10:44 AM

Apr 2015
Well i watched Steins Gate about a year ago and all i remembered is that didn't like it, the plot was way to slow and the characters annoyed me to no end ( except Kyouma ). its you're choice and i say watch until ep 13/14 if it still bores you drop it, in my opinion its very overrated though
Dec 10, 2015 10:45 AM

Aug 2014
It's really not something complicated and it's definitely not something you should give up on. The first half is full of SoL-like eps, some comedy and shit (and since I'm all for comedy and SoL... I may even have to say I liked it more than the second half since it entertained me more consistently), but it also sets up everything for the second half nicely.

You should keep at it and trust me, those few episodes in the middle and the last ones are worth it. It's just entertaining shit.
Poltergeist18Dec 10, 2015 11:42 AM
Dec 10, 2015 10:46 AM

Jul 2012
get past ep 13
Dec 10, 2015 10:47 AM
Mar 2015
Don't.
Dec 10, 2015 10:48 AM

May 2014
Steins;Gate isn't that great but still is fairly good and can be entertaining as hell. I don't think this show starts extremely slowly though (which isn't necessarily a bad thing btw), sure it isn't Death Note or Shingeki no Kyojin, but you should definitely try to watch few more eps. Oh, and S;G isn't really complex overall, this anime simply (and hopefully) doesn't give you all the key at the beginning. And without this beginning, the second half wouldn't have much sense.

P.S: It's not like "it gets better", first episodes aren't bad at all.
parazeDec 10, 2015 10:53 AM
Dec 10, 2015 10:51 AM

Jul 2015
It's an extremely soft sci-fi show, there's not much to understand, and it doesn't deserve the hype. It was okay. Watch it if you're into harem and traps.
Dec 10, 2015 11:03 AM

Feb 2013
I think Steins;Gate is that type of show You need to complet it to be able to apreciate it at its fullest.

Dec 10, 2015 11:04 AM

Jan 2015
Well alot of people say it gets better after about half of the episodes. I personally think it stays just as bad. It's pointless and virtually nothing interesting happens in the first half. It gets more fastpaced in the second half, but it's still pointless. So I'd say drop it while you can, but I know I'm in the minority on that one.
Dec 10, 2015 11:09 AM
Mar 2014
If you hate the characters or their interactions (or dislike them, same thing), drop it. If they're okay to you but you want more of a plot, stick to it. If you like the characters/interactions, marathon it.
This is pretty much how it is with Steins;Gate. Everything will make sense eventually, being confused is the least you should worry about.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Dec 10, 2015 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
Drop it, more than half of the anime is shit.
Dec 10, 2015 11:10 AM
Jul 2015
Trust me, it's not that complicated. It only appears to be at where you are in the story.
Dec 10, 2015 11:26 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
It's overrated IMO because of the hype that goes on in the last half and the lack of criticism in the first half. Anyways, I think you should complete what you started.
Dec 10, 2015 11:30 AM

Jul 2015
mayukachan said:
get past ep 13

perhaps,the most logical reply in the thread.
Dec 10, 2015 11:34 AM

Jun 2015
If you're impatient and can't get to watch a somewhat dull set of episodes(like one cour), then drop it.

But the the first half doesn't speak for the quality of the series itself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2015 11:39 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Why do people keep expecting mysteries to make sense after 10% of the story? Like really

In any case, it's common knowledge that the beginning of Steins;Gate on its own is not that great because you don't understand it yet. The only thing you can do is keep watching. Everything will make sense in time
Dec 10, 2015 11:42 AM

Oct 2014
Ep. 1-6 is like watching paint dry. Ep. 7+ they actually start doing something instead of talking about it. From then on it gets progressively more exciting and psychological which I suppose is what everybody remembers.

Definitely worth the watch but no way it should've gotten #2 rank -- I mean ep. 1-6 I'd rate as 4's and 5's and the really good stuff doesn't hit until 2/3rds in or so.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Dec 10, 2015 1:01 PM
Jun 2015
I found it hard to watch as well but once you get to episode 12 and everything starts connecting you'll love it
Dec 10, 2015 1:08 PM
Aug 2015
if you really like scientific anime or movies you should really watch it until the end, i really like mind games and psychology and scientific animes so for me its top3 anime.
To be honest i got hooked from the first episode of how comedian mc is and how smart he is, its very fun to watch when he acts differently then others in strange situations. The thing is if you continues to watch for me the more you see the more complicated the anime is about Time lapse, time machine and other stuff, but its actually very good and logical things so for me it was perfect anime. you should really listen carefully what he is saying because then you gona undestand whats the deal. AS i said for me its top3 but maybe you not gona like it because you need to always turn on your brain and think deeply, alteast for me and for my friends was that. Sorry for my english not really good but whatevz i hope you were able to undestand what i meant.
Dec 10, 2015 1:22 PM

Aug 2013
Steins;Gate sucks just drop it and go watch better shows like SAO, this anime is the true masterpiece.
Dec 10, 2015 2:18 PM

Jun 2014
marko1rose said:
Steins;Gate sucks just drop it and go watch better shows like SAO, this anime is the true masterpiece.

Shinsuke says Tsukihime is deserving of that title.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Dec 10, 2015 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
FireEmblemIke24 said:
marko1rose said:

There's no such thing called Tsukihime anime

Dec 10, 2015 2:28 PM

Sep 2012
If you can't watch Steins ; Gate that really limits the shows you're capable of watching. I'm astonished you finished Fate Zero.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2015 2:39 PM

Dec 2015
I feel you! I tried to watch it a couple of times but to no avail. I dropped it, then picked it up again...the cycle goes on (stubborn as hell). The story is too slow for me...
Dec 10, 2015 2:42 PM

Jun 2015
JCAPER said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

There's no such thing called Tsukihime anime

WTF is this sorcery... my brain...
Dec 10, 2015 3:07 PM

Sep 2014
Droop it then, It's no big deal, Steins Gate is almost definitely one of those anime that the wannabes(you know, the wannabe different crowd/so called think out of the box flockers. They absolutely pine over the Psychological genre, claiming every single one is the greatest anime ever made) crowd flock to, seriously, they almost as bad as the mainstream crowd, and they are a lot more damaging to the anime community.

If It's being weird, without giving you any info to keep you interested, and just throwing random crap at the viewer, for no "apparent" reasons for a extended amount of time, to where you're getting tired of waiting, then by all means drop it or put it on hold(forever).

There's too many awesome anime out there, to be forcing yourself to watch something you're not enjoying.
Dec 10, 2015 3:28 PM

Oct 2012
Zoltor said:
Droop it then, It's no big deal, Steins Gate is almost definitely one of those anime that the wannabes(you know, the wannabe different crowd/so called think out of the box flockers. They absolutely pine over the Psychological genre, claiming every single one is the greatest anime ever made) crowd flock to, seriously, they almost as bad as the mainstream crowd, and they are a lot more damaging to the anime community.

If It's being weird, without giving you any info to keep you interested, and just throwing random crap at the viewer, for no "apparent" reasons for a extended amount of time, to where you're getting tired of waiting, then by all means drop it or put it on hold(forever).

There's too many awesome anime out there, to be forcing yourself to watch something you're not enjoying.

gr8 b8 m8

Nice of you to judge something without knowing anything about it, assuming your list is up to date.

Some of us that have watched Steins;Gate did so not because its "Mainstream" but because we enjoyed the original source material, you know, the VN. Its actually pretty interesting. Although people who aren't used to slower shows tend to complain until the half-way point of the series, but the buildup is pretty obvious in the episodes preceding it.

And for the most part i agree, if you're really disliking the show, then the best thing to do is to drop it, usually. There are some cases, where you'll miss out on something great because you left a first impression get to you.

@OP: I'd keep going unless you really hate the show at this point. If you don't like it by episode 13, drop the show.
Dec 10, 2015 3:31 PM

Sep 2015
When i tried episode 1 i didn't like it either, I dropped it then finally after a few weeks i decided to give it a try, and that was the best decision of my life.

Hidden Gem, If u have enough patience.
Henlo
Dec 10, 2015 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
Nossy said:
When i tried episode 1 i didn't like it either, I dropped it then finally after a few weeks i decided to give it a try, and that was the best decision of my life.

Hidden Gem, If u have enough patience.

>9.12 rating, 2nd highest rating on mal, 11th popularity
>Hidden gem
Dec 10, 2015 4:41 PM

Sep 2014
FontSize72LOL said:
Zoltor said:

gr8 b8 m8

Nice of you to judge something without knowing anything about it, assuming your list is up to date.

Some of us that have watched Steins;Gate did so not because its "Mainstream" but because we enjoyed the original source material, you know, the VN. Its actually pretty interesting. Although people who aren't used to slower shows tend to complain until the half-way point of the series, but the buildup is pretty obvious in the episodes preceding it.

And for the most part i agree, if you're really disliking the show, then the best thing to do is to drop it, usually. There are some cases, where you'll miss out on something great because you left a first impression get to you.

@OP: I'd keep going unless you really hate the show at this point. If you don't like it by episode 13, drop the show.

Rather It's actually good or not, I don't know true, but It's obvious as all hell, It's not among the best anime(It's 24 episodes, even if It's perfect for what it can do, a series that short has extreme limitations).

As for it being a slow anime, if it takes half of the series, just to get going, considering how short the series is, that's a pretty big issue in general.

I personally love slower series, if you look at my list, I'm sure you'll notice there are a lot of damas, especially slow ones at that(things like Moribito, Legend of Qin, Kemono no souja erin, ect), they take atleast a few episodes to get going(Kemono no souja takes a whopping 7 episodes to get going, but It's still very enjoyable).

If a 24 episode anime, takes like 12 episodes to get started, the quality of the series really needs to be brought into question.

I may end up watching it now, just so I can review the damn thing(and frankly, It's amazing anyone has ever watched this series, considering it has the most uninteresting premise ever created). I just hope It's atleast better then the written premise for this series(poorly written premises for anime is nothing new, so odds are It's not as bad as the premise makes it sound like, yikes).

Don't go bringing up the crappy Mal rating system or you're going to make me start posting the atrociouc crap, that are among the worst anime ever made, yet are being highly rated.
Dec 10, 2015 4:53 PM

Nov 2015
its a time travel anime
you dont have to understand anything
because time travel
Dec 10, 2015 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
Zoltor said:
FontSize72LOL said:

comment

Rather It's actually good or not, I don't know true, but It's obvious as all hell, It's not among the best anime(It's 24 episodes, even if It's perfect for what it can do, a series that short has extreme limitations).

As for it being a slow anime, if it takes half of the series, just to get going, considering how short the series is, that's a pretty big issue in general.

I personally love slower series, if you look at my list, I'm sure you'll notice there are a lot of damas, especially slow ones at that(things like Moribito, Legend of Qin, Kemono no souja erin, ect), they take atleast a few episodes to get going(Kemono no souja takes a whopping 7 episodes to get going, but It's still very enjoyable).

If a 24 episode anime, takes like 12 episodes to get started, the quality of the series really needs to be brought into question.

I may end up watching it now, just so I can review the damn thing(and frankly, It's amazing anyone has ever watched this series, considering it has the most uninteresting premise ever created). I just hope It's atleast better then the written premise for this series(poorly written premises for anime is nothing new, so odds are It's not as bad as the premise makes it sound like, yikes).

Don't go bringing up the crappy Mal rating system or you're going to make me start posting the atrociouc crap, that are among the worst anime ever made, yet are being highly rated.

I read the visual novel. I didn't watch the anime but I heard that it's pretty faithful to the source material and it did a good job. So I am going to assume that the anime is similar to the visual novel in my next points:

The slow start is necessary, especially the first few episodes. One of the characters are going to explain some theories about time travelling and multiple dimensions to make sure that you are on the same page as them. Then later, you're going to have some slice of life and some plot points that seem pointless at first. You might think this is boring, but the characters make up for it, especially the main character Okabe (aka mad scientist, it's so cool, sunvabitch!)

But when the plot starts moving, it doesn't move, it freakin flies! (I'm going to assume that must happen around episode 13 considering the other's comments)

A distracted viewer might think that the story doesn't make much sense because it's time travel, but trust me, it makes sense and they make sure that you understand what is happening (unless you don't pay attention).

Imo, Steins;Gate is one of the best visual novels I ever read and is my all time favorite time travel story in all media (I prefer Steins;Gate way more than Doctor Who).

If you are going to watch it, I have two tips:
- Watch it because you want to, not because you want to prove someone wrong or just to write a review. A viewer that is already negatively biased about a show will just waste his time when watching it. If you think you are biased, then just don't. Leave it be and try it someday later when you feel more neutral about it.

- Don't pretend that you are watching it, actually watch it and pay attention. They don't try to get away with "this happens because time travel", they actually explain what happens. I can't say for sure if the anime explains well what happens, but considering that the Visual Novel isn't that long and I only hear good things about the anime from fellow VN readers, I'm going to assume that it does.
Dec 10, 2015 6:08 PM

Jul 2015
JCAPER said:
it's so cool, sunvabitch!

I actually managed to forget that joke. most cringey moment I've seen in an anime in a long time.
Dec 10, 2015 6:10 PM

Sep 2014
To JCAPER: Have you seen the written premise for this series lol, trust me, outside of people who read/played the VN, there is absolutely nothing, to make people go hm, that seems interesting, perhaps I'll try that out, so you could hardly blame me.

Well I watch a lot of sol type stuff, so that wouldn't bother me, and I'm pretty well versed in temporal theory, and such, so I shouldn't have a issue with that.

Doctor Who has got to be the most overrated, "long winded" show ever created, it would've been decent enough I suppose, if they didn't change the damn doctor every couple of seasons or so.

I never half fast/pretend to watch a anime, when I'm watching it, especially on my 1st half a dozen watches of a anime, so no need to worry there.
Dec 10, 2015 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
Zoltor said:
To JCAPER: Have you seen the written premise for this series lol, trust me, outside of people who read/played the VN, there is absolutely nothing, to make people go hm, that seems interesting, perhaps I'll try that out, so you could hardly blame me.

Well I watch a lot of sol type stuff, so that wouldn't bother me, and I'm pretty well versed in temporal theory, and such, so I shouldn't have a issue with that.

Doctor Who has got to be the most overrated, "long winded" show ever created, it would've been decent enough I suppose, if they didn't change the damn doctor every couple of seasons or so.

I never half fast/pretend to watch a anime, when I'm watching it, especially on my 1st half a dozen watches of a anime, so no need to worry there.

Remember the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well, apply that here :P

I'm not sure why they didn't use the visual novel synopsis, but meh, it's not like one is better than the other. (https://vndb.org/v2002)

Clebardman said:
JCAPER said:
it's so cool, sunvabitch!

I actually managed to forget that joke. most cringey moment I've seen in an anime in a long time.

> gives evangelion 10/10
*rolls eyes*

We already understood that you are not a fan of this series, so no need to go after people and try to shoot them down. You already expressed your opinion with the first comment, it's not like you'll be more edgy by trying to express it even more.
Dec 10, 2015 8:19 PM

Jul 2015
lol the salt is strong. Sorry for not being very enthusiast when you quote the worst racist joke ever as if it was the best thing in Steins;Gate.

OP, if you want a good time travel+romance, watch the girl who leapt through time
Dec 10, 2015 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Clebardman said:
lol the salt is strong. Sorry for not being very enthusiast when you quote the worst racist joke ever as if it was the best thing in Steins;Gate.

OP, if you want a good time travel+romance, watch the girl who leapt through time

No need to say sorry, just saying that the hate is strong if you go out of your way to comment how much you didn't like a show every time someone says he liked it.

Not sure how that joke is racist though... Oh wait, I'm on the internet... Everything is racist and sexist!

Good movie btw. It's kinda sexist though
Dec 10, 2015 8:35 PM

Apr 2014
it's the best show since i came back to watched anime again.
i got recommendation from friend i absolutely love it.
it pretty rare show that i addict to it and end up follow original source and beyond well except harem game spin off.

so i recommend to watched it without any expectation to be any good and heck i don't know this mal until about last year
neolucamanDec 10, 2015 8:40 PM
Dec 10, 2015 8:40 PM

Jan 2014
am i the only one that liked the show from the start? Shit, people are talking about the first half as if it was a hassle to get through D:
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Dec 10, 2015 8:49 PM

Jul 2015
Sapewloth said:
am i the only one that liked the show from the start? Shit, people are talking about the first half as if it was a hassle to get through D:

Didn't noticed any difference to be honest, the pacing was good. Dunno what people expect from their anime.
Dec 10, 2015 9:09 PM

Nov 2015
This anime is one hell of a ride. I watched it without knowing it was time travel, but it caught on quickly. First 2 episodes were confusing though.

My roller coaster for Steins:Gate
Confused>Interested>Thrilled>Saddened>Depressed/happy
Dec 10, 2015 9:19 PM

Jun 2009
if you find it too complicated don't watch it's only a decent anime there is far ebter and don't belive when people say it deservs a a 10 o mal no anime is a proper 10 though i will say its a damn good sci-fi time traval but has shity chacters
Dec 10, 2015 9:21 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Its worth it to keep watching.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

More topics from this board

» Ecchi anime for straight women or gay men

princefaking - Jun 7

8 by princefaking »»
4 hours ago

» Anime with older protagonists (25+)

builttospill - Yesterday

5 by JoeChip »»
9 hours ago

» Shoujo Series

NotActuallyReal - May 27

8 by mo_lave »»
9 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

37 by 7k72 »»
10 hours ago

» Fantasy Setting and Magics Anime

shiroha - Jun 2

11 by 7k72 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.