Forum Settings
Forums

Microsoft Produces Halo Anime Series With Japanese Studios

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 23, 2009 10:06 AM

Jul 2008
Snowflakes said:
LOL.

Next stop: An Anime for the Hitman franchaise. -.-

Not Hitman! It doesn't deserve an anime...

Btw I played this game called Mirror's Edge by EA some days back, it looked an anime material... it even had japanese chicks and anime style art
Jul 23, 2009 10:10 AM
Oct 2008
Tyranid5 said:
Good Studios+Microsoft(taking the important roles/role of manga in manga-based anime)=FAIL

If Microsoft is going to use all their money to get all of these good studios, let the studios do what they paid them to do. Because off of the top of my head I can't think of any great anime originating from America.

I think more the strategy behind making this an anime vs. American Cartoon series. Is that American Cartoons... stay american. While Anime has more of a global following.

Not necessarily, there are some American cartoons that are successful outside of the US and Disney's would be one of them, including their movies. Also, Avatar, while not not considered to be an anime, would also be considered a successful series coming from the US even though it's animated in Korea like many other cartoon series.

Though, why is everyone acting like this hasn't been done before? IMO the Animatrix and Batman: Gotham Knights(while I only thought a few where good) turned out to be rather good collaborations from different anime studios so if written well, this could turn out to be good as well.
Jul 23, 2009 10:19 AM

Jul 2008
Capellabun said:
Tyranid5 said:
Good Studios+Microsoft(taking the important roles/role of manga in manga-based anime)=FAIL

If Microsoft is going to use all their money to get all of these good studios, let the studios do what they paid them to do. Because off of the top of my head I can't think of any great anime originating from America.

I think more the strategy behind making this an anime vs. American Cartoon series. Is that American Cartoons... stay american. While Anime has more of a global following.

Not necessarily, there are some American cartoons that are successful outside of the US and Disney's would be one of them, including their movies. Also, Avatar, while not not considered to be an anime, would also be considered a successful series coming from the US even though it's animated in Korea like many other cartoon series.

Though, why is everyone acting like this hasn't been done before? IMO the Animatrix and Batman: Gotham Knights(while I only thought a few where good) turned out to be rather good collaborations from different anime studios so if written well, this could turn out to be good as well.

What do you mean by American cartoons ain't popular outside US? American cartoons are actually way too popular worldwide than anime (obviously I hate the fact but it's a fact).

Take for example The Simpsons or South Park. There are bunch of odd cartoons which are way more popular than anime. But that's the fun part of it that anime fandom remains a subculture worldwide.

The Transformers series before the Unicorn Trilogy were actually American productions. Though I must say they sucked big time.

But my belief is this Halo shit may just get more popular than many other animes especially in the US.
Jul 23, 2009 10:25 AM
Oct 2008
dPsychc said:
Capellabun said:
Tyranid5 said:

What do you mean by American cartoons ain't popular outside US? American cartoons are actually way too popular worldwide than anime (obviously I hate the fact but it's a fact).

Take for example The Simpsons or South Park. There are bunch of odd cartoons which are way more popular than anime. But that's the fun part of it that anime fandom remains a subculture worldwide.

The Transformers series before the Unicorn Trilogy were actually American productions. Though I must say they sucked big time.

But my belief is this Halo shit may just get more popular than many other animes especially in the US.

Can't tell if you're responding to me or the person I quoted because I never said that there weren't American cartoons that where popular outside of the US. I even gave Disney's cartoon series and movies as an example.
Jul 23, 2009 10:26 AM

Dec 2007
*points*

*laughs*
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 23, 2009 10:42 AM

Sep 2008
What the fuck.
Jul 23, 2009 10:48 AM

Apr 2008
If it's based on the books or similar original stories, I'm in without question. Those were actually pretty good.

If it's more similar to the games' story, I'll probably still watch it for the animation (best companies M$'s money can buy) anyway and not expect much from the story beyond "Aliens! Kill them!"

Apparently, though, it'll be focused a lot on the history of the Halo universe and the SPARTAN project more than the story of the games, so I have some hope for it as long as it's not entirely dependent on the source material.

But if they don't get Marty O'Donnell and Mike Salvatori on the music, then there is something seriously wrong with them.

I guess we'll have to wait for the trailer to get any real idea about this. It will in no way be "the best anime ever" by any stretch of the imagination, but it could still be an entertaining watch.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 23, 2009 11:17 AM

May 2008
As long as its not mecha i might watch it
Jul 23, 2009 11:34 AM

Apr 2009
I thought the world supposed to end in 2012 =\
Jul 23, 2009 11:43 AM

Dec 2007
I see BONES, I'm watching, nuff said
Jul 23, 2009 12:04 PM

Jul 2009
Lol the fanboys will be happy :P
Please read Rules #16 and #17 of the General Forum Guidelines
Jul 23, 2009 12:07 PM

Aug 2008
Well... this is... interesting. I can't imagine Halo as an anime. I might check this out. Most media stuff based on other media stuff usually turn out to be fail, though, so hopes are not high.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jul 23, 2009 1:13 PM

May 2008
This should be interesting....
Jul 23, 2009 1:27 PM

May 2007
I hope it's not another Devil may cry anime
Jul 23, 2009 1:27 PM

Jan 2009
Hm.... People here aren't to happy about this but I'm probably going to watch it. I've 3 of the book (when I didn't have an xbox) and the spartan camp and training was pretty cool. Are we sure that's what it's on?

Someone post the trailer if they find it
Jul 23, 2009 1:28 PM

Jun 2008
Nice collaboration of companies there.

But Halo? lolwut?
Jul 23, 2009 1:36 PM

Jul 2007
xTHoWx said:
Hm.... People here aren't to happy about this but I'm probably going to watch it. I've 3 of the book (when I didn't have an xbox) and the spartan camp and training was pretty cool. Are we sure that's what it's on?

Someone post the trailer if they find it

The current description seems to fit that timeline. So we can only hope that it will follow the books.

Edgey said:
Nice collaboration of companies there.

But Halo? lolwut?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_The_Fall_of_Reach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_The_Flood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_First_Strike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Ghosts_of_Onyx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Contact_Harvest

Not to mention
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_Graphic_Novel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Uprising

There's a lot of great stuff in Haloverse to adapt into anime :>
Jul 23, 2009 3:39 PM

Oct 2008
Its about time..

Considering that the Halo series is so popular and the fact that many Microsoft X360 games are made by Japanese companies, I don't see why there wouldn't be a Halo anime. From the looks of the poster, that appears to be a CG short film!
Jul 23, 2009 3:46 PM

Jan 2008
OMG, the studios O_________O
Jul 23, 2009 3:49 PM

Jan 2009
Kira01 said:
Its about time..

Considering that the Halo series is so popular and the fact that many Microsoft X360 games are made by Japanese companies, I don't see why there wouldn't be a Halo anime. From the looks of the poster, that appears to be a CG short film!

well, halo 3 and the xbox 360 arent really popular at all in japan. This looks like to me, anime creators trying to reach out to western audiences for $
Jul 23, 2009 3:53 PM

Jul 2008
Oh wow...
Jul 23, 2009 4:02 PM

May 2009
Halo 3 didn't do terrible in Japan considering xbox install base is so low. I agree with most, this will hit US asap.
-=Dear gravity don't let me go, hold me like the winter holds the cold=-
Jul 23, 2009 4:33 PM

Jun 2007
Eeeeewwww Halo.
I'm sure my brother will wanna watch this... i won't.

Jul 23, 2009 4:39 PM

Dec 2007
Disgusting. Anyone who watches this should be ashamed of themselves.
Jul 23, 2009 5:02 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not a fan of the games, and I haven't read any of the novels, but from what I've read, the fluff is actually pretty interesting. Microsoft's money+top-name studios is equivalent to laying a weight on the goddamned "Good Animation" button.

If anything, we'll get some gorgeously rendered sequences of guys in green armor shooting things with rocket launchers. I really liked all of those little commercials and promotional material for Halo 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCkiPTMsLHI
For those of you who aren't fans of the game series, you should at least give this a chance. You can't get shot in the head by a whiny 12 year old over Xbox live by watching an OVA, can you?

...tl;dr, bitch-ass weeaboo needa stop h8tan
ScallionJul 23, 2009 5:08 PM
Jul 23, 2009 5:10 PM

Nov 2007
Congrats to the series.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 23, 2009 5:16 PM

Apr 2009
haha
Jul 23, 2009 5:18 PM

Aug 2008
The Halo franchise should just die already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2009 5:18 PM

Oct 2007
My first reaction was 'wtf'. And it still is. Wtf.
Are Halo fans going to watch this if they usually do not watch anime...?

Amex_Yohko said:
Dear Bill Gates,

Please stop bothering Japanese people. They hate you. They hate your XBOX and XBOX 360. You even force them to buy one in order to play Tale of Vesperia and they were fooled when the PS3 version was released recently. Now you forced them to make you awesomely bad Halo 'anime'. Please stop your silly idea otherwise the Japanese people will drop nukes on your country soon.

QFT
Jul 23, 2009 5:34 PM
Oct 2008
Amex_Yohko said:
Dear Bill Gates,

Please stop bothering Japanese people. They hate you. They hate your XBOX and XBOX 360. You even force them to buy one in order to play Tale of Vesperia and they were fooled when the PS3 version was released recently. Now you forced them to make you awesomely bad Halo 'anime'. Please stop your silly idea otherwise the Japanese people will drop nukes on your country soon.

It's too bad Bill Gates doesn't and hasn't worked at Microsoft for a year now and has no control over whether or not they decide to make a collaborated anime out of one of their games. They also never forced anyone to buy a 360 and they can't stop Namco Bandai from making their exclusive Xbox 360 game not so exclusive.
Jul 23, 2009 5:41 PM

Jun 2008
Amex_Yohko said:
Dear Bill Gates,

Every time I come to MAL's forums, my faith in humanity erodes ever so slightly.
ScallionJul 23, 2009 6:11 PM
Jul 23, 2009 5:46 PM

Apr 2008
If it has to be a game on xbox, i would rather of seen lost odyssey in production
than again, i dont care much for shooters
Jul 23, 2009 6:50 PM
Oct 2008
This isn't that bad you guys. There's good studios plus the games and books are pretty good, so I'm sure it will at least be decent.
Signature
Jul 23, 2009 7:28 PM

Sep 2008
At least it's not an anime about me *playing* Halo... It'd be the same thing over and over again.

<walks around for a while, sees nobody in sight the whole time>
<BANG*>
<beep... beep... beep... beep... beep... beep...>

*sometimes replace with <WHACK>
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2009 7:39 PM

Mar 2008
This is mostly likely going to suck.

But of course I'm mostly going to watch it.
Jul 23, 2009 7:44 PM

Jun 2009
hmmmmmmm this is gonna be interesting never thought Microsoft will ever go into the anime business.

And halo is basically an american thing so i dont expect it to be a huge success.
Jul 23, 2009 7:45 PM

May 2008
I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything...

....had to do it

I am a banana.
Jul 23, 2009 7:51 PM

Oct 2007
That rather surprised me...

Jul 23, 2009 8:46 PM

Mar 2008
Getting a little tired of the gimicky anthologies
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jul 23, 2009 8:57 PM

Nov 2007
Another attempt to try to get Japanese consumers into the Xbox. Nice try, MS.
Jul 23, 2009 9:20 PM

Jul 2008
this should be interesting,i wonder how long the episodes will be?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jul 23, 2009 9:26 PM

Jul 2008
QuothTheRaven said:
Weird. Could be either embarrassingly horrible or completely awesome.

But Microsoft+plot=skepticism
QFT. I am exciting about the possibilities of an awesome series, but at the same time I am very much aware of the failures that can be made in the adaptation.
Jul 23, 2009 10:16 PM

May 2007
saka said:
I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything...

....had to do it

YES

But yeah..I doubt i'm gonna watch this.
Jul 23, 2009 10:21 PM

Jul 2007
Very interesting, i'm a huge fan of the games, so i'm excited. Halo has a very deep storyline, that can branch in a variety of different directions. Most likely this will be along the same lines as The Animatrix. Kinda upset that GONZO isn't on the list, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the list of studios they have.

this is not the first time that japanese anime has been used as a medium for "american" stories. Batman: Gotham Knight as well as The Boondocks were both animated by japanese companies, both were successfully in their own right and the world didn't blow up cuz they were different. i'm guessing most of the people who are bashing this idea have never played the games/don't fully understand the fiction behind them, so lets give them a chance people, GunGrave came out good, who saw that coming based on the game?
Jul 23, 2009 11:40 PM

Oct 2008
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-halo-legends/53158

It's by Toei Animation... why Toei of all of the possible names out there...
Jul 24, 2009 2:30 AM

Apr 2008
It's by 4 companies, and spearheaded by the GitS director, could go either way now these info has come to light.
Jul 24, 2009 2:33 AM

Jan 2008
Also: No Madhouse.
Jul 24, 2009 3:04 AM

May 2009
I can't really imagine Halo being anime... ...but I'm looking forward to it.
Jul 24, 2009 4:49 AM

Jun 2009
Any news on the voice cast?
Jul 24, 2009 5:16 AM

Jan 2009
YES!

This is the best news I've heard this year!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Original TV Anime 'Prinsession Orchestra' Announced for 2025

Hyperion_PS - 32 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
32 minutes ago

» 'Amagami-san Chi no Enmusubi' Announces Additional Cast, Staff for Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Unveils Additional Staff, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
1 hour ago

» 'Spy x Family' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Jun 9

37 by RED-clover12 »»
2 hours ago

» Video Game 'Guilty Gear: Strive' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

21 by Ionliosite2 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.