Forum Settings
Forums

Franchise pages and franchise lumping on top list and personal lists

New
Do you want this?
Jan 9, 2015 8:45 AM

Nov 2010
I know there's a couple of other threads about this but they're all old and don't really have an idea of what they want to do. BTW I made this like a year ago. Please vote and comment so you can show your support.

I've been thinking of this for a while but it looks like with the latest Gintama movie coming out and the possible appearance of another season(once the producer's hair grows back)(EDIT: Which was recently announced) people are noticing that lumping by franchise may help out a bit(at least for the top anime list). Since I've thought of this before I've actually got more thought up than just the franchise lumping in the top anime list. But, I think as doing things to the top anime list would be easier, that should be done first.

The things I've thought of was bunching in the top anime list, then going further to making actual franchise pages(with things to help your watching experience), and then bunching the franchises in the lists(optional of course).

Part I, Top Anime List
For the top anime list I've thought of bunching all franchises(anime with two or more entries connected either as a prequel/sequel, special, ova, spinoff, etc) into one. Now that wouldn't mean that you would rate everything as one, they would still each have their individual pages, it would just mean that they are represented as one on the top anime list.
This would greatly reduce the size of the top anime list. Many anime partly because they are a sequel are rated higher. The people who watched and didn't like the first season are less likely to watch the next, and on and on. Now that's fine and natural but depending on the anime, those seasons, movies, etc can be rated quite highly. It kind of crowds the list and raises people's expectations too high. I've seen many people ask if they can skip seasons and watch the finale of a franchise like Aria because the score is higher. Having them lumped by franchise means you're not seeing a whole bunch of TV series, movies, specials, ovas, etc while browsing the top anime list. I feel that one entry should represent it's franchise. Different timelines and or adaptations will be separated though. That means each of Ghost in the Shell's timelines will be separated along with Fullmetal Alchemist and Fulllmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

The score by a user is decided by a separate franchise score. But when it is first implemented can just use the highest score in the franchise until the user decides to change it.

- One of the problems that comes with using one of these ways to find the score is, it wouldn't be fair for someone who's watched one series out of lets say 3 or 5 to have the same weight as someone who's watched all of them. So the score should be weighted against all the series. So if you've watched 1 out of 4 of the series, your score would only count 1/4 of someone who's watched all of them.

. - Another problem that comes with this is the site's normal rule, where if you haven't watched 1/5 of a series, your score doesn't count. Now should this mean that someone who's watched less than 1/5 of one series shouldn't have a say in the franchise score or should something be done about that?

What it would look like
How an entry normally looks(I'll be using Gintama as it is the main anime that made me think of this).

http://i.imgur.com/dB39Dbp.jpg

And here is the new franchise lumped version. In just the lumped franchise version clicking the Franchise name would link you to the first anime in the continuity of the franchise the franchise page which has other info to help you with your watching experience.

http://i.imgur.com/hwjYKhQ.gif

From it's closed position, you can see how many TV series, movies, specials, OVAs, music, ONAs, etc an anime has and how many episodes of each from the front. That is useful and is an actual improvement as you can see the whole amount of episodes a franchise has without indvidually going through. Some anime might have multiple series of 13 episodes each, actually making the series 40+ episodes in the long run.

From it's open position, you can then see every entry in the franchise separated by type and showing their individual scores.

Part II, Franchise Page
Like I said earlier, if franchise pages are made, clicking on the name of the franchise on the top anime list would bring you to one of these. The page would look like a normal entry page, just tweaked to fit what a franchise page needs. There would be no recently watched, reviews, and a couple of other things.There would be two main features to this page, the features are:

● A list of all entries in the franchise on one page. Unlike when using the advanced search, you won't see any unrelated entries due to have to search by text(there's always a couple of anime that don't match but are still in there).
...- See every entry on one page, as little icons.
...- See your progress on each one.
...- Many different ways to sort the list, by type, alphabetical, etc.
...- Exclude the ones you've already seen.

● A graphic that shows where each anime fits on the timeline, basically how everything is connected.
...- It would support multiple timelines.
...- Possibly even fan submitted ways of watching.
...ex(Hidamari Sketch, Kara no Kyoukai, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc Chronological guide)

Other features include:

● Changing the info on the sidebar
...- So you can see when in the manga an anime started and ended.
...- So you can see just how long in years the franchise has been alive.

Part III, Anime List
This would be similar to the anime top list. Franchises would be represented as one entry on the list with a button to drop down the rest along with all of their other info while telling you without dropping them down how many are in there. Of course this would be optional.

Of course things can be changed. I'm open to all suggestions and possibly to someone making example pictures for some of the other things on it that I haven't gotten to.

EDIT: Changed the embedded images to links temporarily.
IntroverTurtleJan 9, 2015 10:08 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 9, 2015 9:00 AM

Dec 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
● A graphic that shows where each anime fits on the timeline, basically how everything is connected.
...- It would support multiple timelines.
...- Possibly even fan submitted ways of watching.
...ex(Hidamari Sketch, Kara no Kyoukai, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc Chronological guide)

I agree especially because of this, it would help a lot to know which series is the first one and so on. Also, if there is an OVA or something, which part it fits in etc.
Jan 9, 2015 9:21 AM

Dec 2011
For various reasons I personally really wouldn't like this - and if I had to use it on my list or if there were no way to turn it off for the top anime page I would probably stop using this site for tracking my watches.

But putting personal things aside, there are a few issues.

- How to determine whether or not something is in a different timeline. There are various spinoffs that could take place within either the same or a different timeline to the main series. What's more, whether or not it is possible that, say, a film spinoff of an ongoing series can occur within the same timeline as the original story can actually change after the film airs. And there are things that start off in the same timeline but then gradually wander away from each other. Then of course there are some series that aren't in the same timeline as themselves... Or things (like SAO/AW) that are very definitely separate series but which have been stated unequivacally by the creator as belonging to the same timeline.
- You've acknowledged that there's an issue with how much of a series someone has seen, but the way of dealing with it that you've proposed really wouldn't work. Take Bleach for example. Should watching the 145-ish hours of the TV series really be given the same weighting as watching the sub-30 minute Memories in the Rain special? As an even more absurd example, should viewers of Akame ga Kill! count for only a third as much rating for that series, because they haven't watched the random comedy shorts that were put up on the website, or the recap episode which under this system would count for as much as the full series?
- Would there be a similar thing for manga? The biggest impact of adding it to the manga section would, after all, be to combine light novel entries and their manga adaptations into one thing, which I personally would despise.
- This would take effort. A lot of it. Is it really worth it?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 9, 2015 9:38 AM

Nov 2010
kuuderes_shadow said:
For various reasons I personally really wouldn't like this - and if I had to use it on my list or if there were no way to turn it off for the top anime page I would probably stop using this site for tracking my watches.
I already said it once before in the post but edited the specific listing part to say for the lists it is optional. Trying to think of a way that it can be optional for the top list too, though I don't see a problem with it on the top list, you can just search all anime by score using the advanced search if you want to see everything. Though an option is possible.

And the top anime page is that important to you?

kuuderes_shadow said:
- How to determine whether or not something is in a different timeline. There are various spinoffs that could take place within either the same or a different timeline to the main series. What's more, whether or not it is possible that, say, a film spinoff of an ongoing series can occur within the same timeline as the original story can actually change after the film airs. And there are things that start off in the same timeline but then gradually wander away from each other. Then of course there are some series that aren't in the same timeline as themselves... Or things (like SAO/AW) that are very definitely separate series but which have been stated unequivacally by the creator as belonging to the same timeline.
Well it doesn't have to be perfect(it already says whether x entry is related to y entry through being a spinoff or whatever, don't see the problem) and most series I've seen have had it quite sufficient.
I'm gonna need an example of the film thing, sounds confusing. In the graphic everything doesn't have to be connected, there can be multiple 'trunks' or whatever.

kuuderes_shadow said:
- You've acknowledged that there's an issue with how much of a series someone has seen, but the way of dealing with it that you've proposed really wouldn't work. Take Bleach for example. Should watching the 145-ish hours of the TV series really be given the same weighting as watching the sub-30 minute Memories in the Rain special? As an even more absurd example, should viewers of Akame ga Kill! count for only a third as much rating for that series, because they haven't watched the random comedy shorts that were put up on the website, or the recap episode which under this system would count for as much as the full series?
- Would there be a similar thing for manga? The biggest impact of adding it to the manga section would, after all, be to combine light novel entries and their manga adaptations into one thing, which I personally would despise.
Yes, I have. Maybe by duration then, idk. Just throwin it out there, people can help.

And never thought about it for the manga side as I don't read much.

kuuderes_shadow said:
- This would take effort. A lot of it. Is it really worth it?
Yes, this site has nothing else going on so I don't see the problem.
Jan 9, 2015 9:43 AM
Dec 2011
This would be pretty great. Especially 2 and 3.
Jan 9, 2015 9:52 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
It seems like you put a lot of thought into this and franchise pages are something that people have been suggesting since at least 2008.

However, what I noticed while I was reading your OP, is that it seems you haven't put a lot of thought into how it would be coded (aside from the score). I'm not sure how much familiarity you have with how databases work, but that would help to better form your suggestion.

kuuderes_shadow said:
I'm curious about your reasons as well, if you wouldn't mind sharing them.
Jan 9, 2015 9:57 AM

Mar 2012
I like most of your points, however:
IntroverTurtle said:
In just the lumped franchise version clicking the Franchise name would link you to the first anime in the continuity of the franchise.
First as in chronologically or by release date? After all, that makes a big difference with things like Monogatari and FSN.
IntroverTurtle said:
A graphic that shows where each anime fits on the timeline, basically how everything is connected.
What about things that happen during the run of the series? For example, Dragon Ball Z Special 2: The History of Trunks is set basically after the Cell Games Saga but "before" the Buu Saga (roughly, between episodes 194 and 195 of Dragon Ball Z). At the same time, it has a brief prologue that takes place "before" the Android saga (episode 108).

Another example could be Macross Zero, set after the brief prologue of the first episode of the Macross and before the rest of the first episode.
Jan 9, 2015 10:05 AM

Nov 2010
Kineta said:
It seems like you put a lot of thought into this and franchise pages are something that people have been suggesting since at least 2008.

However, what I noticed while I was reading your OP, is that it seems you haven't put a lot of thought into how it would be coded (aside from the score). I'm not sure how much familiarity you have with how databases work, but that would help to better form your suggestion.
No, I didn't. I have no idea how to code so wouldn't know what works and such. Open to someone helping me though, a big part of why I posted it on the forum. People are already finding holes which is helpful.

yazio said:
I like most of your points, however:
IntroverTurtle said:
In just the lumped franchise version clicking the Franchise name would link you to the first anime in the continuity of the franchise.
First as in chronologically or by release date? After all, that makes a big difference with things like Monogatari and FSN.
Yeah you're right about that, maybe it can just link them to the franchise page.

yazio said:
IntroverTurtle said:
A graphic that shows where each anime fits on the timeline, basically how everything is connected.
What about things that happen during the run of the series? For example, Dragon Ball Z Special 2: The History of Trunks is set basically after the Cell Games Saga but "before" the Buu Saga (roughly, between episodes 194 and 195 of Dragon Ball Z). At the same time, it has a brief prologue that takes place "before" the Android saga (episode 108).

Another example could be Macross Zero, set after the brief prologue of the first episode of the Macross and before the rest of the first episode.
Well I was thinking of it like a basic boxes connected by strings thing possibly color coded, in which case there could be some sort of a note that specifies where it's supposed to go rather than there being like an actual episode timeline. Though Idk if I understand this correctly, is this prologue a seperate episode or a scene in the dragon ball z special 2 episode?
Jan 9, 2015 10:08 AM

Mar 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
yazio said:

Well I was thinking of it like a basic boxes connected by strings thing possibly color coded, in which case there could be some sort of a note that specifies where it's supposed to go rather than there being like an actual episode timeline. Though Idk if I understand this correctly, is this prologue a seperate episode or a scene in the dragon ball z special 2 episode?
A scene in the episode. About the first half happens "before" episode 108, while the second half happens between 194-195.
Jan 9, 2015 10:10 AM

Nov 2010
yazio said:
A scene in the episode. About the first half happens "before" episode 108, while the second half happens between 194-195.
Hmmm, then I think maybe we should just go with what most of it or the main part of it is about.

And I realized after going in to edit that thing that you corrected that seemed so common sense. That I had it link to the first page in the continuity, because that was if they didn't make franchise pages(which I thought would be the hardest work) but instead just bunched the top page together. Right after that I had that if franchise pages where made it would just link them there.
Jan 9, 2015 10:22 AM

Dec 2011
Mm my mind was rather garbled when I wrote that. The stop using the site part was mainly aimed at if it was on my list. You can bunch stuff together in a similar manner on animeadvice.me and that just makes a mess as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, here's my thoughts:
- My opinion (and doubtless those of others as well) of various things that would be counted within the same franchise is often wildly different. This is particularly the case with OVAs where a great series can have an OVA that is godawful. For example, I found Yuushibu to be rather enjoyable, and gave it a 6, but the OVA had none of the stuff I liked about the series, and I gave that a 3. I wouldn't want the score I gave the OVA to influence the score I show for Yuushibu as a whole, though, as it has no impact on my perception of the series/franchise.
- This is escalated still further with recaps. I would feel bad giving low scores over recaps (which is standard practice) if it had any impact on my score for the series itself.
- It no longer means that the score reflects the contents of the series. Sometimes you CAN skip things (again, recap episodes are the most obvious example, followed by some but certainly not all OVAs/specials). Sometimes you can skip entire seasons without losing anything - and indeed there are people that advocate doing just that for some series (Minami-ke springs to mind here).
- I like data. I like having data in an order that makes sense. If you have a "franchise score" instead of a series score then that score is not actually representative of any part of said franchise. Sure, the data is there, but if, say, you wanted to get the rankings of the first or main part of any series you would have to go through each entry and add them (probably manually) to a separate spreadsheet before sorting it out. Which is far more effort than the current process of just ignoring things that aren't the first/main part of the series. Obviously if you can just switch to the current system, or if the franchise rankings is a new list rather than a replacement, this doesn't stand ground.

Incidentally, when I said it would take effort, I didn't just mean on the creating the system side. I meant also that someone would have to go through every single series determining how/whether they fit in the timeline. Unless you intend to ignore all relations other than "sequel"/"prequel" - which would simplify things a lot and get rid of quite a few of my objections, but also weaken the effect of it (as a lot of things - all the naruto movies for instance - would no longer be considered part of the same series). And there are things (http://myanimelist.net/anime/11981 for instance) which are sequels to multiple other things which are not sequels/prequels to one another, so if other stuff was excluded then they would end up part of multiple different "franchises".
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 9, 2015 1:27 PM

Nov 2010
kuuderes_shadow said:
Mm my mind was rather garbled when I wrote that. The stop using the site part was mainly aimed at if it was on my list. You can bunch stuff together in a similar manner on animeadvice.me and that just makes a mess as far as I'm concerned.
Ok, that makes more sense.
You talking about how it looks like a mess on animeadvice or that since we have animeadvice we don't need to do it with the main site. If the former then I'd say at least on the lists it would be much cleaner. The entry wouldn't be any larger until you click on a certain button most likely and then it wouldn't be separated by type of relaated it is. If the latter(which is less likely that it is) I disagree as most people don't know about it and I don't think it can handle everyone.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Anyway, here's my thoughts:
- My opinion (and doubtless those of others as well) of various things that would be counted within the same franchise is often wildly different. This is particularly the case with OVAs where a great series can have an OVA that is godawful. For example, I found Yuushibu to be rather enjoyable, and gave it a 6, but the OVA had none of the stuff I liked about the series, and I gave that a 3. I wouldn't want the score I gave the OVA to influence the score I show for Yuushibu as a whole, though, as it has no impact on my perception of the series/franchise.
A little confused here. The way I was thinking of it would be you have a score for Yuushibu which is 6, then a score for the OVA which is 3, and then a separate score for the franchise which is 6 or whatever you want based on whatever criteria you have. The franchise score wouldn't affect any of the separate entry's scores and vice versa and while on the expanded version of the franchise on the top list you can see each individual entry's MAL score. Only if you haven't completed an entry(not the score) will it affect the weight of your franchise score. If I'm not addressing the right thing feel free to talk to me like a child so I can understand what it is so I can make this suggestion better.

kuuderes_shadow said:
- This is escalated still further with recaps. I would feel bad giving low scores over recaps (which is standard practice) if it had any impact on my score for the series itself.
Same as above ^^^

kuuderes_shadow said:
- It no longer means that the score reflects the contents of the series. Sometimes you CAN skip things (again, recap episodes are the most obvious example, followed by some but certainly not all OVAs/specials). Sometimes you can skip entire seasons without losing anything - and indeed there are people that advocate doing just that for some series (Minami-ke springs to mind here).
So is this a problem with the score weight thing? Would be nice if you specified that. While I do think all the entries should count as the score is about all of the franchise, it wouldn't be so bad if the weight was decided by the main parts of the series, everything that is a prequel and sequel, no spinoffs, recaps, OVAs, etc is not eligible.

kuuderes_shadow said:
- I like data. I like having data in an order that makes sense. If you have a "franchise score" instead of a series score then that score is not actually representative of any part of said franchise. Sure, the data is there, but if, say, you wanted to get the rankings of the first or main part of any series you would have to go through each entry and add them (probably manually) to a separate spreadsheet before sorting it out. Which is far more effort than the current process of just ignoring things that aren't the first/main part of the series. Obviously if you can just switch to the current system, or if the franchise rankings is a new list rather than a replacement, this doesn't stand ground.
It's only instead of on the top list and in your list if you choose to use that option. Your other scores are still there. And it's a representative of the whole franchise.
And I don't understand the part about the rankings of the first or main part of a series. I believe what you're talking about could be done through the advanced search or possibly with the option of turning off the franchise lumping while on the top list.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Incidentally, when I said it would take effort, I didn't just mean on the creating the system side. I meant also that someone would have to go through every single series determining how/whether they fit in the timeline. Unless you intend to ignore all relations other than "sequel"/"prequel" - which would simplify things a lot and get rid of quite a few of my objections, but also weaken the effect of it (as a lot of things - all the naruto movies for instance - would no longer be considered part of the same series). And there are things (http://myanimelist.net/anime/11981 for instance) which are sequels to multiple other things which are not sequels/prequels to one another, so if other stuff was excluded then they would end up part of multiple different "franchises".
They already are shown how they fit in the timeline, things are labeled side story, sequel, alternate version or whatever.

I was thinking of something like this but just cleaner and embedded so it's not that large. Watching order of episodes(broadcast order, chronological order, etc) can be sort of a semi separate thing. And entries like OVAs that take place mid series will be shown to be connected to the main series like a normal OVA with some sort of a note that says (takes place between episodes 8 and 9) or something like that, that could be fully expanded in an actual watching order if someone wants to makes one.

For that Madoka entry, idk. While I don't think it's a huge deal if it is placed in both timelines, I don't know how it will work(idk how many examples there are of this). Idk I'll have to think about this one and possibly make this a question up in the OP.
Jan 9, 2015 1:43 PM

Mar 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
For that Madoka entry, idk. While I don't think it's a huge deal if it is placed in both timelines, I don't know how it will work(idk how many examples there are of this). Idk I'll have to think about this one and possibly make this a question up in the OP.
It happens a lot with movie compilations, for example:

Original Gundam -> Zeta Gundam -> Gundam ZZ
Gundam movie trilogy -> Zeta Gundam movie trilogy -> Gundam ZZ

Nanoha -> Nanoha A -> Nanoha Strikers
Nanoha Movie 1 -> Nanoha Movie 2 -> Nanoha Strikers
Jan 9, 2015 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
yazio said:
IntroverTurtle said:
It happens a lot with movie compilations, for example:

Original Gundam -> Zeta Gundam -> Gundam ZZ
Gundam movie trilogy -> Zeta Gundam movie trilogy -> Gundam ZZ

Nanoha -> Nanoha A -> Nanoha Strikers
Nanoha Movie 1 -> Nanoha Movie 2 -> Nanoha Strikers
That sucks, I'll have to find a way around this. I really don't want to combine different timelines.
Jan 9, 2015 4:21 PM
Nov 2008
i don't think it's introver's responsibility to suggest how a feature is bloody coded. plus, having it be a feature that can be turned on and off is a given. i don't think that part even needs to be suggested.
Jan 9, 2015 5:01 PM

Jan 2009
Kineta said:

im not good at programming but i graduated with it, and i remember in access this thing called subdatasheets and one-to-many relationships on making tables in the database

quick googling and it looks like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKPEvo7alk

there will be a expand button or plus sign button on each first row, the gintama franchise table for example will have a subdatasheet for all other gintama related anime sorted by when they are initially release to make the code more simple

if microsoft access have subdatasheet and one-to-many relationship feature i bet it can be done with SQL too that is common database language for the database on the internet
Feb 15, 2015 4:50 PM

Nov 2010
Bump and I still haven't figured out the solution to the problem kuudere pointed out.
Feb 16, 2015 4:28 PM
Mar 2014
Undoubtedly well thought-out, but I'm against the idea; Kuudere has explained most of the problems I have with it.
If there were to be no scoring or vote weighting for franchises, I'd happily support the idea, so I voted yes in the poll.
Feb 17, 2015 12:22 AM

Nov 2011
Ah. Why haven't I posted here yet? Sorry for forgetting about this.

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. My thoughts:

At its core, I like this idea. Even apart from displaying them in MAL's top anime, I think franchise pages would help with organization and would also provide a place for franchise-wide forum topics (which have no legal space on MAL at this time). As for the specifics...

Potential Problem 1: Rating the franchise separately from the individual scores poses many variables.

Suggested Solution: Instead of rating franchise separately, I think the franchise score should be calculated as an average of the scores of the user's "main" entries in the franchise. Apply the 1/5th rule to the number of episodes in the entire main portion of the franchise before allowing a score to be calculated for it. I think this would work better than counting 1/5 of the total entries in the franchise (even though it would belittle movie entries somewhat) because entries are also given scores if 1/5 of their episodes are watched. In other words, if a user dropped an entry after having watched 1/5 of it, and the franchise for said entry had 5 or fewer entries, the franchise would end up receiving a score from the user who dropped the first entry, even if they didn't truly watch 1/5 of the franchise. This would skew favor toward continuous shows like One Piece over shows that are broken up but continue the same story, such as with Gintama or Clannad.

Additional Problems: The primary problem here is determining what's considered part of the "core story". We could just label specials and OVAs as such, but sometimes OVAs themselves are the main story, which complicates matters. I'm not sure if I have a method for determining the "core" portions of a franchise yet, but I don't think the anime/manga mods will like this suggestion without such a method.

Potential Problem 2: In relation to the top anime list, I would agree with separating timelines/universes, but this still leaves some room for doubt. For example, what about stories that occur in the same universe (be it at the same time or at a later date) yet tell an entirely separate story with a different cast? Would they be lumped in the same franchise? If not, it makes the organization somewhat messier. If so, one could call into question how accurate the overall rating of the franchise is. I personally would lean toward to the former option, which leads into my solution.

Suggested Solution: In addition to franchise pages, such as a page for FMA and a page for FMAB, we should have "super franchise" pages that contain the sub-franchises. This is mostly for the sake of keeping things organized and allowing for a wider range of forum topics. I would expect super-franchise pages to mostly contain background or history of the franchise, and perhaps some suggestions regarding popular viewing orders (release order/chronological order (if applicable)/etc.). They would not receive aggregate ratings.

Additional Problems: Entries that are contained within multiple sub-franchises would be counted toward multiple sub-franchise scores. I'm not sure if this is truly a problem or not, nor if there is a remedy for it.

Agreement 1: I like the idea of having single entries in a drop-down list on the top anime and anime search pages. If certain entries aren't counted toward the franchise score, I think the ones that are counted should be in bold.

Additional Problems: As far as I know (and I could be completely wrong), the top anime page uses the site's anime search function to display the list. This means franchises would show up in searches, which further complicates searching: If only one entry in a franchise has a certain genre, does searching pull up the entire franchise? Are you wanting to split up searching for individual entries and franchises? Etc.

Agreement 2: Basically everything you wrote about the franchise pages, with the addition of a forum section for the franchise in general.

Additional Problems: You mentioned supporting multiple timelines. This seems to contradict your idea of splitting up timelines on the top anime page. May I assume you support the "super franchise" pages I mentioned above, in light of this?

Agreement 3: I like your idea for the anime list implementation.

Additional Problems: None that I can think of, other than potential aesthetics. This could be covered by making the feature optional as you suggested, but this means more coding for MAL's developers.
TripleSRankFeb 17, 2015 12:33 AM
Feb 17, 2015 2:43 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
It seems I misworded what I wanted to say. To clarify, by "how it would be coded" I meant things like this:
kuuderes_shadow said:
Incidentally, when I said it would take effort, I didn't just mean on the creating the system side. I meant also that someone would have to go through every single series determining how/whether they fit in the timeline.

When I made my post, I wasn't asking for how things would be coded under the surface in tables, but rather the logistics of how it would work on the front end. For example: how would the pages be created (auto-generated based on relations or added by a moderator)?

Any idea for the site can be born, but if it's not able to be implemented in a systematic way, then it's just a nice idea with nice pictures. (I don't mean this in a derogatory way.)

I didn't get a chance to read through all the newer posts yet, just wanted to clarify this one point.
KinetaFeb 17, 2015 2:53 PM
Feb 17, 2015 3:26 PM

Nov 2008
While it may not be the perfect solution, I think the best way would be combining entries to a franchise that are connected by the prequel/sequel tag and have the same type (TV, movie, OVA etc).
That way, separate continuities would still be separated (for example, FMA and FMAB are not connected by the prequel/sequel tag) and bad OVAs would not affect the score of an anime that is actually good. It also solves the problem about the "core" of an anime.
If this were to be implemented, the Top 10 would look like this at the moment:

As you can see, the only entries that are majorly affected by this would be Clannad and LoGH. Gintama only has two entries in this version which is much better than four. The Top 4 wouldn't be changed at all and ultimately, the list doesn't look that different, just tidied up.
However, there are still some other problems with this system for example what happens if there are multiple sequels of one anime of the same type that are different continuities (e.g. Hayate no Gotoku).
All in all, I do think that combining franchises is a good thing, but don't include everything please.
Apr 7, 2015 2:43 PM

Feb 2010

• After thinking about how this would be implemented, I thought about goodreads and how it creates pages for book series in their volume release order. For example here is the series page for the Harry Potter series.
  • Using something like this would allow for easier database management as you could just link to the series page from each individual part of a series.
  • I'm not sure how easy it would be though, to restrict the top anime list to only include the series page when they have one.
  • Users being able to score the whole series would be bad, because it would make it easier for fans or haters to manipulate scores.
  • A system by which a mean score being calculated in relation to the total run-time of each entry is the best I can currently think about.
  • Doing this would also allow users to have a much better overview of the release order of a show, since currently you can only look up the chronological order without having to resort to writing down the dates and making a list yourself.
  • Lack of information would make some of the less known series (especially in manga) unable to have proper sorting, but that shouldn't be much of a problem. as the score is what's important here, and the release order is just a bonus.
  • Each timeline of a series will have to have a separate page. More trouble.
  • The anuses. The DB Mods' anuses will have to be prepared. Allowing the users to order the series list would speed up the process, but they will have to put up with a lot of shit in order to fully implement this.
  • Some users will resist this and hate on it because it will be a big change. And it will need time to be polished.
  • In the end it will probably come down to whether the mods think this will be worth their time or not.
  • Honestly you could just not give a shit about the top list. Nothing of importance will happen if a series passes over another and you could just ignore what you don't like.
KaragahApr 7, 2015 2:59 PM
Apr 7, 2015 3:46 PM

Jul 2013
BiGnoize said:

• In the end it will probably come down to whether the mods think this will be worth their time or not.

Implementing that the mods do the coding ... which they do not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2015 4:01 PM

Feb 2010
Makeyzito said:
Implementing that the mods do the coding ... which they do not.

I meant for the management of the database. That will probably be the hardest part and mods will have to do that.
Apr 10, 2015 9:10 AM

Nov 2010
Apr 12, 2015 2:10 PM

Sep 2010
No, because.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Apr 12, 2015 5:05 PM
Dec 2011
kitsune0 said:
No, because.

Not sure what this has to do with anyone hating Gintama.
Apr 12, 2015 5:54 PM

Nov 2010
Kineta said:
When I made my post, I wasn't asking for how things would be coded under the surface in tables, but rather the logistics of how it would work on the front end. For example: how would the pages be created (auto-generated based on relations or added by a moderator)?
Maybe there could be an option for us, users, to help add anime to each franchise and to designate a proper place in the timeline to every one of them. An "Add anime to this franchise" button, just like you add anime relations to a character.
Apr 13, 2015 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
I totally support this suggestion.
Apr 13, 2015 9:04 PM

Feb 2013
Kineta said:
it seems you haven't put a lot of thought into how it would be coded. I'm not sure how much familiarity you have with how databases work, but that would help to better form your suggestion.
I don't suppose you could share the database schema?

A possible way (half pseudo code):
Franchise table(FranchiseId int, Name varchar(255))
AnimeFranchise table(AnimeFranchiseId int, FranchiseId int, AnimeId int)
This would cover the relationship to a franchise and gives the site organizers full control over it. Using sequel/prequel/spin-off/special may not be accurate and would likely be slower to try to calculate the franchise all the time.

As for "order" of items in the franchise, release date works for me.

For "score", I would just calculate the average of the items in the franchise.

I don't care much about the top list, but I would love to be able to group all of Evangelion under a single heading.

If you really wanted to go crazy you could even sub-franchise it (just add ParentFranchiseId) which would be great for Rebuild of Evangelion and Nurse-Witch Komugi-chan because they are somewhat separate franchises under their respective "parent" franchises.
Apr 14, 2015 11:09 PM

Feb 2013
I highly agree with the "Part II, Franchise Page", especially with MALgraph shutting down. I always wished there were some easy way to find out what entry of a franchise I missed, (especially if new entries come out after I watch all of them).

So far, I used the recommended page in MALgraph, but with that gone, I hope MAL makes some kind of a way to show such things.
Apr 17, 2015 8:34 AM

Jun 2014
No. There are some parts that are very different, and it's rated very different, so I don't want to see it in one entry.
JPthugnificent said:
MALgraph, but with that gone
MALgraph is dead, long live MALgraph!
Apr 17, 2015 8:38 AM

Nov 2010
Alex-and said:
No. There are some parts that are very different, and it's rated very different, so I don't want to see it in one entry.
They'd all be rated differently, they'd just be shown on the top anime list as one entry.
Apr 17, 2015 8:46 AM

Jun 2014
You don't get it. There are some parts that I love and some parts that I hate, and I just don't want it even being together in one entry.
Apr 17, 2015 4:56 PM

Nov 2011
Support. My first post still expresses my full thoughts.

Alex-and said:
You don't get it. There are some parts that I love and some parts that I hate, and I just don't want it even being together in one entry.

That's pretty silly when it comes to a database. If it's part of the franchise, it's part of the franchise. Just because you love some parts and hate others doesn't mean the parts you hate are no longer part of the franchise. xD
Apr 18, 2015 3:00 AM

Jun 2014
TripleSRank said:
That's pretty silly when it comes to a database. If it's part of the franchise, it's part of the franchise. Just because you love some parts and hate others doesn't mean the parts you hate are no longer part of the franchise.
You telling me how I should feel about my hobby? You telling me how I should treat it? How I should love or hate? And you saying I'm "silly". What are you talking is outright stupid - and none of your busyness. I'll feel whatever damn I want and nobody will be telling me what is right and what is wrong with it.
Apr 21, 2015 8:06 AM

Oct 2014
Kineta said:

Excuse me, but shouldn't programmers solve the problems by themselves once everything about the feature is set in stone?

To be honest i think there should be a weighted mean score, taking into consideration how much each entry weights to the franchise. But there's also big problems that first have to be solved before this idea becomes solid.

I mean, how much would an OVA weight? Is the same thing an OVA for a 13 episode long anime and an OVA for a 200 episode long?

Is the same a spin-off 'season' and a normal season? (naruto vs rock lee SD)

Now, let's say that we decide that the lenght dictates the weight, movies are usually more condensed, shouldn't a 100 min movie weight more than 5 20 minutes episodes?
iN3krOApr 21, 2015 8:26 AM
Apr 29, 2015 9:41 PM

Nov 2013
Pointless. The reason for only allowing 5 favorites, is because they are your top 5 shows. Regardless if they are a movie, show, OVA. You can like a movie but not an OVA of the anime. Hell you can like the movie, but not the show of an anime.
Apr 29, 2015 9:42 PM

Jun 2014
LAOG said:
Pointless. The reason for only allowing 5 favorites, is because they are your top 5 shows. Regardless if they are a movie, show, OVA. You can like a movie but not an OVA of the anime. Hell you can like the movie, but not the show of an anime.

Then what about this feature only regarding direct sequels such as Code Geass or Attack on Titan?
Apr 29, 2015 9:43 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned and thread merged

Fyi the posts were deleted because it would make the topic more confusing.
Apr 29, 2015 10:28 PM

Nov 2011
Alex-and said:
TripleSRank said:
That's pretty silly when it comes to a database. If it's part of the franchise, it's part of the franchise. Just because you love some parts and hate others doesn't mean the parts you hate are no longer part of the franchise.
You telling me how I should feel about my hobby? You telling me how I should treat it? How I should love or hate? And you saying I'm "silly". What are you talking is outright stupid - and none of your busyness. I'll feel whatever damn I want and nobody will be telling me what is right and what is wrong with it.

How you feel about your hobby and what you love and hate has absolutely nothing to do with what is and isn't part of a franchise. The latter is factual while the former is emotional. You're arguing against a practical organization of facts because you "feel" certain series don't "deserve" to be grouped together despite their factual relation, yet, again, that doesn't change that there is a factual relation and that it would be practical to sort series using said relation.

I never said you're wrong for feeling the way you do, but that doesn't make your reasoning against this suggestion good.
TripleSRankApr 29, 2015 10:42 PM
Apr 30, 2015 3:49 AM

Jun 2014
If we were robots and all this problem was so logical, simple and clean, that suggestion would be already implemented with little to no debates. But we are people and this case is not the simple matter, that's why there are heated debates, so no, emotions do count there. What, you want to tell me that this whole thing started because someone thinks that it's illogical to include sequels, OVAs, movies, etc., not because someone feels that it's wrong? Sorry, not buying it. The whole thing started because someone thinks "oh god, there are so many franchises here that I don't like and so don't want to see in The Top", it's the same "argument" like "this anime is shit, it's stated fact, why it's in The Top", so no.
Apr 30, 2015 5:19 AM

Jun 2014
Alex-and said:
If we were robots and all this problem was so logical, simple and clean, that suggestion would be already implemented with little to no debates. But we are people and this case is not the simple matter, that's why there are heated debates, so no, emotions do count there. What, you want to tell me that this whole thing started because someone thinks that it's illogical to include sequels, OVAs, movies, etc., not because someone feels that it's wrong? Sorry, not buying it. The whole thing started because someone thinks "oh god, there are so many franchises here that I don't like and so don't want to see in The Top", it's the same "argument" like "this anime is shit, it's stated fact, why it's in The Top", so no.

The reason why Triple called your statement silly is because you deny a fact based on your opinion. To make it clearer, what you are saying is that we should not conside r Code Geass R1 and R2 as parts of the same franchise because some people may like one and hate the other, which is silly given that they are factually related.

Between, she never said that you have to be for or against the suggestion, just that this particular reason doesn't make sense.
Apr 30, 2015 6:49 AM

Jun 2014
Agafin said:
you deny a fact based on your opinion
what you are saying is that we should not conside r Code Geass R1 and R2 as parts of the same franchise
Quote where I said it or you're a liar.
Agafin said:
this particular reason doesn't make sense.
and this what we don't need here - someone's opinion about other's opinion. If she so badly wants to tell me that I'm wrong/silly/etc. - she can do it through personal messaging or profile comments. This tread is for people's opinions for or against merging titles into franchises, not for personal comments.
Apr 30, 2015 7:41 PM

Nov 2011
When did I become a she? o.o

Anyway...

Alex-and said:
If we were robots and all this problem was so logical, simple and clean, that suggestion would be already implemented with little to no debates.

That's not true. MAL is slow to implement user suggestions. Only recently have site improvements resumed since we're no longer under Crave, and, other than the mobile site, they've mostly been aimed toward fixing bugs and improving the database. At the moment they appear to be working on allowing episode information to be added to the DB (although currently it's just the title and summary).

The main deterrent toward implementing this suggestion is logistics, as stated by the head database admin herself above.

Alex-and said:
But we are people and this case is not the simple matter, that's why there are heated debates, so no, emotions do count there.

The above debates have little to do with emotion, only the practicality of implementation. Also, the presence of debates doesn't mean the suggestion is bad or even dubious, depending on the reasoning leveraged against it. While there are some things that would need to be sorted out, I'm saying your reasoning is bad.

It's little more than saying "I don't like this idea", which is fine and dandy, but there are many more users who do like this idea, so it will likely take more than one voice of simple dissent to dissuade the suggestion (again, apart from logistics or organizational limitations).

Alex-and said:
What, you want to tell me that this whole thing started because someone thinks that it's illogical to include sequels, OVAs, movies, etc., not because someone feels that it's wrong?

What "thing" are you referring to? There's nothing to "feel wrong" about because this doesn't exist in the first place, hence the suggestion. If you're referring to the debate that occurred before you first posted, then yes, we were indeed talking about the practicality of including different types of releases (OVAs, movies, etc.) under franchises and how they would affect a potential franchise score.

Alex-and said:
The whole thing started because someone thinks "oh god, there are so many franchises here that I don't like and so don't want to see in The Top", it's the same "argument" like "this anime is ****, it's stated fact, why it's in The Top", so no.

Franchises that score high would still appear in the Top Anime. Gintama would still appear there, for example. If anything, this would place more anime in the top rather than getting rid of more.

Placing anime under franchises helps with organization first and foremost. That's not to say there aren't any personal reasons people may have to desire it (many appreciate the aesthetics better organization provides, for example), but that doesn't take away from the logical merits

Alex-and said:
Agafin said:
this particular reason doesn't make sense.
and this what we don't need here - someone's opinion about other's opinion. If she so badly wants to tell me that I'm wrong/silly/etc. - she can do it through personal messaging or profile comments. This tread is for people's opinions for or against merging titles into franchises, not for personal comments.

This thread is meant to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks of the suggestion in addition to gauging the amount of desire the userbase has for the suggested feature. I've merely countered your reasoning against the suggestion (for which you've used your feelings as the primary basis). If you don't want your feelings commented on, don't incorporate them into your reasoning against the suggestion.

Also, giving opinions on other's opinions is the whole point behind a forum. Problems arise only when hostility and personal attacks come into play.

Edit: There's a world of a difference between saying:

1: I don't think series should be group under franchises because I hate some shows that are related to others I love.

and

2: I don't think the less important portions of a franchise (such as OVAs or recaps) should contribute to the franchise score as much because they aren't part of the main story.

The former relies on feelings; the latter relies on logic. They both further a similar viewpoint.
TripleSRankApr 30, 2015 7:55 PM
Aug 10, 2015 12:31 AM

Jun 2009
bump, because this needs to be implemented and because xinil mentioned it.
loghneckbeardAug 10, 2015 9:30 PM
Aug 10, 2015 12:35 AM

Jan 2009
Tyestor said:
bump, because this needs to be implemented and because xinil mentioned it.

yep saw that earlier on reddit, Xinil should go for the combining of franchises then just average their scores
Jan 12, 2016 8:50 PM

May 2010
I hope we don't have to wait forever for this to happen... I would totally be up for volunteering coding and maybe even some database work to make this happen.

The one idea I'm unsure about is averaging a franchise based on average scores of everything, including OVA's/movies/specials, etc. I mean, something like that would bring the Dragon Ball franchise waaaaay down. But maybe it deserves it because of some of the terrible/mediocre stuff it's produced? lol That would at least be another point of debate.

And if this were implemented, an additional option to further filter by something like "franchises based off of TV Series only" would be awesome. When I think anime, I don't normally think of stand-alone movies; I think of TV shows. So it would be a cool feature if you want to easily answer "What are best anime series?" with the assumption that you're into watching the whole thing instead of just the "good parts."
Have the bridges of insanity been crossed and forever retracted?
Am I standing among a thousand selves? Is the multitude of laughters mine alone?
Jan 15, 2016 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
Just for sorting issues, I would agree. But that's it.
Jan 16, 2016 5:25 AM
Apr 2015
i think the frunchise page is an interesting idea that can add some adictional information but the top list i only agree if it dont sibstitute the actual one and is a diferent top like "most favorited" or "top movies".
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The Beginning After The End Manhwa

D4rK_Br0Ly - May 19, 2023

5 by -DxP- »»
4 minutes ago

» Why Current Events should come back

GoatPieceLuffy - May 27

19 by ACasualViewer »»
3 hours ago

» Can we have comment section for reviews like MyDramaList?

DigiCat - May 27

7 by DigiCat »»
3 hours ago

» Who thought this was a good idea?

Shenhe - May 26

5 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 8:39 PM

Poll: » "Community Rating" section should be an option to our Manga/Anime lists

USDJPY - May 27

0 by USDJPY »»
May 27, 3:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.