Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 3, 2014 5:49 PM

May 2012
Great episode. I got the feels I can't lie. Man I was hoping for a draw.
Sep 3, 2014 6:55 PM

Jun 2010
Aw, a bitter sweet episode for me. Funny how they won the relay when they failed at the individual events. Oh well, power of friendship!
Sep 3, 2014 7:04 PM
Jul 2014
I will be very disappointed if Haru goes pro honestly
Sep 3, 2014 7:18 PM
Feb 2014
haru should have won by a greater margin.
I only read books i have already read
Sep 3, 2014 7:32 PM
Jan 2014
OG-3 said:
Oh my god, I don't know why do I find this episode so emotional, but I cried. So. Damn. Much.
And last week after watching episode I thought that Rin would cry in this week's episode and surprise surprise.
But still, great episode. Yamazaki :<
Can't wait for next week, especially for Haru's and Sousuke's encounter.

It made me drop a liter of tears too, beautiful episode!
Sep 3, 2014 7:38 PM
Apr 2012
My god that final relay race was INTENSE. Somehow I got kinda sad Rin's team didn't win, heh. But seems all is turning to a nice end for both parties, so all is good :-) Ah, now I've got tears in my eyes, looking at the sneak peak of next episode (T_T) Seems like a lot of farewell and separations will happen in their future I'm never good with goodbyes I'm sure these boys aren't too..
Sep 3, 2014 7:56 PM
Mar 2014
The feels !!!!
The relay is always intense with Rin and Haru.
Really thought that it was a tie but glad Haru's team won.
Sep 3, 2014 9:14 PM

Jul 2012
freels

It's hard watching this show because I have no idea who to cheer for. But it was pretty obvious that Iwatobi would win, as that's the typical sports anime formula - Main team wins the second time around. Anyway, congrats Iwatobi! Looking forward to nationals.

Fireworks confession next episode! #gethyped Looks like I'll be crying again next Wednesday.
Sep 3, 2014 9:37 PM

Dec 2013
Sorry it's too hard to see through my tears to write an actual review because I'm just so happy
Sep 3, 2014 11:47 PM

Mar 2012
I hate this episode. Damn, it was so very well done it destroyed me completely and i'm not happy about it. I literally cried. Free! should be a fun anime to watch not just plain angst! Anyway, i never thought the whole scouting thing would be a lie and finding out about it was very sad, that kid is so broken, and damn he really did dedicate all his life to Rin which is also pretty saddening. I also feel bad for Rin cause in this episode Sosuke, Nitori and Momo put a lot on his shoulders, cause idk, i'd feel guilty later cause Sousuke's shoulder looks pretty bad, tho i was really hoping for them to win, which was very stupid of me cause Sousuke's shoulder was injured and all Iwatobi was in their best conditions.. well, at least it didn't end up in a tie.
Sep 3, 2014 11:57 PM

Dec 2011
Ugh Sousuke is so perf. What a great race, but I'm so sad that he's gonna quit swimming.

Sep 4, 2014 12:12 AM
Sep 2007
Does anybody knows the soundtrack of this episode, about 14 min, does anybody knows the song?
Sep 4, 2014 1:34 AM

Oct 2007
OMG it was so emotional ;____;
The race was intense and couldn't decide who I wanted to win but I'm glad everything came out well for team Samezuka at the end, even though they lost out to Iwatobi swimming together as the ultimate team.

Seems like the preview of next week we get to hear what Makoto wants to do for his future I hope.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2014 1:48 AM
Jul 2013
Irenesharda said:

I know why they let Sousuke finish the relay, but realistically, that was a fool thing to do and stupid for Rin to allow as team captain. Your arm and shoulder is used for more than just for swimming, you know. Sousuke was beginning to be restricted in just simple motions like reaching out. Do you really want to risk crippling him for life? Well, thank goodness for the power and miracle that is epic friendship!

LOL I thought the same - well Rin did say no at first but the power of friendship overtook that decision! And I'm glad it did.
Sep 4, 2014 2:15 AM

Jan 2008
Awesome episode. Damn, that was some deep moments between Sousuke and Rin. Can't help but be touched and nearly spilled my tears.
Intense race. Happy for both teams. If not for Sousuke's injured shoulder, they might have won the 1st place but oh well, Rin and the rest of his ultimate team were happy with the result. I guess that ends well.
Sep 4, 2014 2:30 AM

Jun 2011
/creys for Sousuke.

I didn't really liked him before, but the episode gave me so much feels for him. It was quite angsty.

Can't wait for the next episode. I feel like it has something to do with their future.
Sep 4, 2014 2:50 AM

Jul 2012
Well that was some story development between the guys and some fierce swimming. Next off to the nationals.

Great episode!!!
Sep 4, 2014 4:07 AM

Oct 2013
that shoulder plain made me cringe so much. looks so painful!
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Sep 4, 2014 7:03 AM

May 2014
Literally, every time Rin cried I cried.
When Rin yelled "SOUSUKE!" I screamed with him.
And at the end when each team had their group hug I was squealing.

But that episode preview! Haru trying to hit MY Makoto?!?!

lkerwoqsnmh3jbwbdslnanwebfnsaiejrgnslahugernfks
Fanbase: Episode 9 was the worst, I was crying.
KyoAni: Lolnope. Episode 10. Have some more.
Sep 4, 2014 10:51 AM
Jan 2013
Now I love this anime, and this episode was pretty good.

However was it only me that got really annoyed by Haru's actions in this episode? He is blatantly eavesdropping on what is clearly an emotional and private conversation between Sousuke and Rin. Then he just blabs to the Iwatobi group all about Sousuke's injury despite the obvious fact that Sousuke was purposefully trying to keep it a secret. It was kind of a dick move.

Like why couldn't he have just told everyone to do their best anyway, why did he have to bring up the injury. I just really don't like the fact that he disregarded both Sousuke's and to an extent Rin's feelings about the matter. I know Haru can be socially inept sometimes but that was too much, I feel.
Sep 4, 2014 11:27 AM

Jul 2014
Palladion said:

However was it only me that got really annoyed by Haru's actions in this episode? He is blatantly eavesdropping on what is clearly an emotional and private conversation between Sousuke and Rin. Then he just blabs to the Iwatobi group all about Sousuke's injury despite the obvious fact that Sousuke was purposefully trying to keep it a secret. It was kind of a dick move.

Yeah i agree, i thought it was kind of akward that Haru was listening in on Rin & Sousuke having a moment :/
Sep 4, 2014 4:17 PM

Aug 2013
Actually, I think this is the first episode that I cried.
I don't know, it just made me feel all sentimental haha. Also, I think this was better than other episodes.
It was good :)
Sep 4, 2014 4:31 PM

Aug 2012
The emotions and feels this episode! 😫😫
The bro power is strong
Sep 4, 2014 4:44 PM

Jun 2013
more gay drama as usual
Sep 4, 2014 4:54 PM

Nov 2010
The feels and Haru got helped by evesdropping as well
Sousuke seems to be an easy read to Rin with a backgroundstory added
Relay match wasn't that interesting
Sep 4, 2014 7:49 PM

Apr 2007
Now this is the kind of episode I needed to finally like Sousuke. Not some stupid pity for an injury.

I actually really enjoyed this episode. The conversations between Rin and Sousuke were nicely done, although I still feel they could've handled the drama a little better. It took too long for the reveal this time around. Rin is such a crybaby though omg

Young Kisumi <3
Sep 4, 2014 8:42 PM

Dec 2011
Finally. Iwatobi won. Although that is because they did have the handicap, if it wasn't for Sousuke's injury, no way they would have won... anyways they still won!

I wonder what is going to happen now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2014 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
Fiji said:
Finally. Iwatobi won. Although that is because they did have the handicap, if it wasn't for Sousuke's injury, no way they would have won... anyways they still won!

I wonder what is going to happen now.

If not for Rei being a terrible swimmer theyd have won nationals twice by now.
Sep 4, 2014 8:49 PM

Mar 2008
Meh, wanted Samezuka to win

disappoint
Sep 5, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2012
Hmm, it was obvious that Iwatobi would win. Well they deserved it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for Samezuka, esp. because Sousuke will quit. Still it was a very emotional episode, dem feels. T^T
Sep 5, 2014 4:37 PM

Oct 2010
I'm emotionally devastated. Seriously. Give me a break.

Sousuke FINALLY opens his heart and shows his true self. I'm melting. Free made me fall helplessly in love with Makoto, now with Sousuke too. I'm done.

I really think that Rin matured a lot this season and became way more likeable. True, he somtimes still shows his 'sharkself' but he's now way more considerable of others feelings. Such an amazing character development.

And next episode...I'm actually kinda curious what direction the writers will go to. I mean we know that the whole MakoHaru drama will be about Haru's future. But how do they want to make it so dramatic now, that all the cards of Haru's doubts were shown, I really don't know.

Plus after this episode I have to say something about the relationship. Yep we all think that the homosexual vibe this show gives us is only to tease us. BUT. I really can't pretend anymore that I don't see what I see. Because when it comes to Mako's feelings towards Haru I was sure about them since the beginning. And now I'm pretty sure about Sousuke's feelings towards Rin. Well yeah, it's only my opinion but still...KyoAni I think you should slow down a little if you don't actually plan on doing anything in this matter (and we all know that you don't).
Sep 5, 2014 5:02 PM
Mar 2013
LOL no one really cares for sousuke...me either

Haru was awesome though.

Oh and Rin crying like a little baby.
Sep 5, 2014 8:16 PM

May 2013
SO MUCH FEELS IN THIS EPISODE!
Emotions were being thrown all over the place. Heck, I almost cried.
The OST was just amazing in this episode. Dem flashbacks.

Despite Sousuke's shoulder being injured, Samezuka is still second place!
Haru used Sousuke as an example to help Iwatobi win!
The relay ended well, yet I think there will be still some conflicts left to solve.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Sep 6, 2014 4:36 AM

Oct 2011
Sousuke OMG TwT

They were so precious in the past.

Sousuke saw the Team Relay Race in Season : 0

Dat race OMG T__________T

The Best Team Ever.
Sep 6, 2014 5:55 AM
Sep 2010
Race of the season--I'm a little sad because I guess that's the ultimate race and, if there's any others after this, they won't be as epic.

Sousuke turned out to be super likable, but I never really got the hate for him in the first place. He never seemed particularly antagonistic except for that one scene earlier in the season with Haru, which now seems out of place considering he watched both Rin's 100m heat and the relay that healed him afterwards. His kid version was awesome as well.

I don't know if it's just me but I honestly thought Samezuka might win (and then maybe have to pull out afterwards to let Iwatobi proceed to nationals because of Sousuke's shoulder). I honestly had no idea how the race would go and was surprised that Iwatobi won. Damn it was awesome.

Also Rin's shout when Sousuke was struggling was amazing. Rin rules this season.
Sep 6, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2012
Well, that was intense. o-o
Sousuke swimming with that badly injured shoulder? o-o
Damn.....that was harsh! D:

Some more information from the past....sou Sousuke was there during Rin's relay last year? o-o
Cool.....I suppose. :3

So moral of the episode: Training too hard gets you pain in a certain area. xD
Sep 6, 2014 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, this episode. This episode. Sousuke's been my favorite character this season and especially his bond with Rin really resonated with me. Seeing how everything from S1 came full circle here and now for Sousuke was incredible. My eyes felt like they were swimming through their own relays as I could barely fight back the tears this episode. "I'm not crying" Wow Rin, that was just so...speechless.

This is the first time in a sports anime where I didn't want to see either team lose no matter what. What shocked me the most is how when the race ended, tears started gushing out both because I was tremendously happy for Iwatobi but also because it meant that one of them did end up losing.

Easily my favorite show of the summer, respect to Sousuke for hanging in there. Oh and I loved when the former captain shouted at the team to support Sousuke. All of these characters are remarkable.
Sep 7, 2014 6:01 AM

Jun 2012
Samezuka should have won.
Sep 7, 2014 11:26 AM

Sep 2014
I still wonder why they are not dating girls. They're like 17-18 years old, guys this age have their hormones playin, they should have all kids of swollen mushroom tip action going, at least thats what was happening with me that time, and the very first thing I did - is started dating and busting all kinds of nuts.
Also I refuse to believe that they're all gay. Harchan, I remember, said: "What dream? What future? I dont have all this." And I'm sure his last thoughts were: "All I want is to get laid already and move on."
EquestrianStatueSep 8, 2014 9:10 AM
Sep 8, 2014 10:21 AM

Feb 2010
God damnit all that Sousuke x Rin and Rin's tears also that MakoxHaru preview. I can't take it anymore.
Sep 8, 2014 7:23 PM

Jul 2013
1st place - it's about damn time!
Sep 9, 2014 6:19 AM
Apr 2011
Best episode so far.
Souske swim scene was amazing.
Sep 10, 2014 3:43 PM

Jan 2014
Noooo rin don't cry ;____;
Sep 11, 2014 8:20 AM

Mar 2014
I feel kind of bad for wanting Rin's team to win the relay instead of the actual main 4.....esp because it was Sousuke's last race....
Sep 16, 2014 2:22 PM

Jun 2008
Still don't give a crap about you Sousuke.
Sep 18, 2014 12:03 PM

Feb 2010
I don't like Sousuke. Why didn't he just go to a doctor before his shoulder broke down completely? I hate how 'going to a doctor and taking care of yourself for a few months for the sake of your future' always equals 'giving up' in the eyes of those characters -.-. When I'm an athlete and I sense some body part breaking down the first thing I do is go check it out, unless I'm like in the middle of a super important competition at the moment.
With that being the basis of the drama I just can't really feel sorry for him :/.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 26, 2014 9:23 PM

Jun 2011
Even after I took a break, the feel isn't coming back..

Samezuka would have won if Sousuke is in his top form.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2014 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
Great animation in the relay race. That was dramatic but quite good, though swimming with that bad of a messed up shoulder will just make it worse in the long run.
Oct 4, 2014 7:44 AM

May 2010
Very nice episode, Sousuke's dream getting crushed was really sad to see, but at least he was able to enjoy the relay race for real.
Oct 8, 2014 6:44 AM
May 2012
Hosoya narrating pretty good scripts with nice BGM + Intense relay with amazing animation and OST = Fucking awesome!!
Next time, don't fap too much, Sousuke. I wanted Samezuka to win, but I thought that it will be a tie, and then.....Iwatobi won, but oh well.
Looks like the remaining episodes will be emotional. I get emotional when it's about parting ways T^T
This episode is really touching and heartwarming~ I shall eat something.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

190 by mayoise »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

148 by mayoise »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.