Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2012 5:52 PM

May 2011
Si
DraconisMarch said:
Fanservice token loli. Acts like harem bait. Suddenly: little sister figure. LOL k.

Not impressed by Kirito. He's just overleveled as fuck. Would've been cool if he had just butchered those people--at least the bitch queen. Yawn.

TwinBrave said:
Needs MAWR PLOT.
This. Whatever happened to all the fanboys raving that the story was oh-so-awesome?

Since you have obviously ignored posts before you, I will tell you:

THESE ARE SIDE STORIES. It's not on the actual plot yet. They are moving accordingly to the timeline, therefore we will get a few more episodes before the real plot starts to kick in.
Jul 29, 2012 6:14 PM

Nov 2008
Doesnt SAO feel a bit .. episodic at the moment I mean I may just be remembering volume one to much but.. I was sort of expecting them to cover the series in a different manner
Jul 29, 2012 7:01 PM

Jan 2012
Now this episode was actually pretty decent unlike previous. If they keep this quality ill rate the show higher but there is too many gaps between episodes timelines. Sometimes i feel like its a new show every episode.
Jul 29, 2012 7:06 PM

Jun 2010
Yes! The apes have the appearance I thought they would have and it ended awesome. 10/10

Jul 29, 2012 7:16 PM

Jul 2011
Wasn't expecting the"happy" ending here. Was expecting silica to get screwed in the end ( I thought that the item wouldn't revive the pet or she would get killed), seeing as how that's how this anime seems to go usually. I also am liking how things are slowly being revealed about Kirito.
Jul 29, 2012 7:20 PM
Mar 2012
EOTW said:
Wasn't expecting the"happy" ending here. Was expecting silica to get screwed in the end.

I agree with you here. I thought she was gonna get killed or somethin like sachi... anyways, glad they didnt kill her off

Random question. Yumekichi11 where d'you get the end art from? From what I've seen only hastuyuki's release has the end art but it has the advertisement all over it...
Jul 29, 2012 7:24 PM

Sep 2006
Great episode! Definitely one of the better ones in terms of pacing and letting us get to know more about the world of SAO. I had a really bad feeling Silica was gonna get off-ed since Kirito mentioned the Orange and Red players, but it seems everything's just fine. :)

I wish they would mention how Kirito manages to stay at the top rankings when he spends time walking around the lower level fields. Just that trip might have put him back by 2-3 levels from the lead packs, at least.

And seriously, you LN guys are crazy. As a anime-only watcher, I thought the anime is pretty excellent still, still a 10/10 rating IMO.
Jul 29, 2012 7:57 PM

Jul 2011
cardin said:
Great episode! Definitely one of the better ones in terms of pacing and letting us get to know more about the world of SAO. I had a really bad feeling Silica was gonna get off-ed since Kirito mentioned the Orange and Red players, but it seems everything's just fine. :)

I wish they would mention how Kirito manages to stay at the top rankings when he spends time walking around the lower level fields. Just that trip might have put him back by 2-3 levels from the lead packs, at least.

And seriously, you LN guys are crazy. As a anime-only watcher, I thought the anime is pretty excellent still, still a 10/10 rating IMO.

even though he left the frontlines, he wouldn't need to worry about his level, this is because he is a solo player so he reaps all the xp when kills a monster but as i mentioned before its really dangerous but because of this he doesn't really need to spend as much time on the front lines grinding so he can leave the frontlines for a while but not for long seeing as how only a couple days had passed when he got to the lower fields and he said he "needed to get back", though im not sure whether this is because he worried about other people catching up to him or because he is worried about the people fighting in the front lines

i think it's more of the latter
Jul 29, 2012 7:58 PM
Apr 2011
I didnt read the LN & idk much abt the anime since i just watched the 4 episodes alltogether, but am really into stuff like this and the anime it self seems promising, I like Kirito's badass aura , eps4 was pretty good silica is a really lil innocent kawai gurl would like to see her in future eps even tho i've read one of the comments sayin that she wont appear soon tho, well am pretty sure at least "ASUNA" WILL appear, Can't wait for some team-up gang bang fights & some action =), ps: they could've shown silica reviving Pina-birdy, also the apes were abit hilarious if u kno what i mean ;D, anyway ill rate this 8/10 hoping for a better action,drama in future episodes.
regards
Jul 29, 2012 9:04 PM

Nov 2008
DraconisMarch said:
Fanservice token loli. Acts like harem bait. Suddenly: little sister figure. LOL k.

Not impressed by Kirito. He's just overleveled as fuck. Would've been cool if he had just butchered those people--at least the bitch queen. Yawn.

TwinBrave said:
Needs MAWR PLOT.
This. Whatever happened to all the fanboys raving that the story was oh-so-awesome?

The Story IS awesome - adaptions sometimes dont convey a LN or Manga or VN story amazingly well but only 4 episodes so far so I have to hope they improve the adaption as it goes along
Jul 29, 2012 9:23 PM

Jun 2009
After the last ep, I was a lil' worried about Silica, but I'm glad she's ok. Gosh, Kirito's such a cool guy. T'was a cute ep.

Jul 29, 2012 9:46 PM

Jun 2012
Faith restored, after episode 3 I was worried about sword arts online but not anymore this episode was great. Can't wait for the next one.

5/5
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Jul 29, 2012 10:03 PM

May 2011
This episode was great and I loved it. Silica looks like she's a great character and she's just so cute. I was just so glad she came out of this happy and alive, I gotta say I was pretty worried about her after last episode as well. Especially when she was thinking she had to save Kirito, thank god she saw that he wasn't even getting damaged and didn't just jump in.

Kirito was being a complete badass this episode and that was awesome. Those guys were nothing compared to him and he was not at all phased. And I just loved the reactions that those guys had the moment they heard Kirito's name. Ftwww.
Jul 29, 2012 10:12 PM

Dec 2007
mystik said:
oh and one minor thing that bugs me. if this is an mmo there is way too many girls, and cute ones at that. there should be fatties and more guys pretending to be girls to make it like real mmo.

Incorrect. Statistically, besides mobile games like Plants vs Zombies or something, girls are most likely to play MMOs. That would only be more true in Japan.

Plus, you're ignoring the fact that that DID happen--at least one girl character was really a guy, but "Mirror" changed that.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jul 29, 2012 10:17 PM

Jan 2011
Episode was awesome...this anime could be extremely good. havent watched something like this in a while!!
this is my god damn signature.
Jul 29, 2012 10:20 PM

Mar 2012
Obligatory little sister loli episode. Boring. Also, Kirito just needs to shut up sometimes. His usual personality is alright, but his little speeches are literally the least bad-ass I have ever heard.

"I'm level 78 guys, look at my hip points, fuck yeah world of warcraft." False.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 29, 2012 10:26 PM

Aug 2010
Kirito was awesome this episode. Didn't expect him to be level 78. I found it funny that the group of guys couldn't do any damage to him.

I'm pretty sure this show is going to get a lot better after the main story starts.
Jul 29, 2012 10:28 PM

Jun 2009
leokiko said:
Si
DraconisMarch said:

TwinBrave said:
Needs MAWR PLOT.

Since you have obviously ignored posts before you, I will tell you:

THESE ARE SIDE STORIES. It's not on the actual plot yet. They are moving accordingly to the timeline, therefore we will get a few more episodes before the real plot starts to kick in.

Goodness leokiko no need to be a jerk. The anime should tell you those things. They should not have to read the posts (about the anime) to figure out the story. That is just bad adaption. I do not believe having read the light novels was a prerequisite for this anime. Back off

It really goes for the rest of you too. Take you light novels and go. This is a discussion for the anime, not the light novels. You sounds as bad as the kuroshitsuji fans during the second season.
Suzune-chanJul 29, 2012 10:41 PM

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 29, 2012 10:30 PM

Apr 2012
"Black Swordsman"
I thought it was this guy:

Anyways, another filler/sidestory episode. I wonder when the main plot, if any, will start revealing itself.

Lets see...for this episode:
Oh dear...it's the tentacles and loli again...I wonder when the doujins are gonna come out...

Also I just didn't buy in to that red haired woman's revenge scheme. An annoying little girl/personal grudge doesn't give enough reason to murder and risk jail (I wonder if PKers in the game get punished in real life). Perhaps they just didn't believe that anyone can "Bleachlevel" so fast in a game...

Kirito's soloing also seemed unrealistic. That shouldn't have happened if the game was remotely balanced before being released.

How Kirito managed to settle down on floor 40 (IIRC) isn't explained either. Are we supposed to just accept that he went through 40 floors/100 so easily just like that?

Meh...still better than episode 3...
BloodRequiemJul 29, 2012 10:34 PM
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jul 29, 2012 10:33 PM

Feb 2010
MUCH better than the shit-show pacing of episode 3.

Really enjoyed this....

Pina<333
Jul 29, 2012 10:37 PM

Jun 2012
Wow, Kirito's already level 78. Does anyone know if SAO's max level is 99 or if there's no limit to leveling?
Jul 29, 2012 10:40 PM

Mar 2012
at last another good episode
the last one was a real bummer
Jul 29, 2012 10:57 PM

Nov 2011
Kirito is a monster wow, lvl 78 as a solo player. Dude is a super nerd haha
Jul 29, 2012 11:56 PM

Jun 2012
Amazing episode, even if there wasn't an epic battle. It's great to see a new character, a beast tamer. The only thing I don't like is that he is a legend. I feel like he is overrated, as if known throughout all of SAO. Anyway, this series is great so far, it is my most enjoyed ongoing series I watch (out of 4). 5/5

Jul 29, 2012 11:58 PM

Apr 2011
Kirito just successfully unlock the loli route!
Jul 30, 2012 12:01 AM

Jun 2008
_Saburo_ said:
The only thing I don't like is that he is a legend. I feel like he is overrated, as if known throughout all of SAO.

Well, in fact he is well known throughout all of SAO. It's a fact nothing was exaggerated, he's just that good.
-Strong Soloist (defies the MMO survivability logic)
-Frontliner (Frontliners are famous because their the ones spear heading the progress to clear the game)
-Beater (Infamously known as the strongest beta tester that "purposely" won't share any knowledge to any other player)
-Black Swordsman (His appearance and build as one of the strongest one-handed swordsman)

and currently, him being lvl 78 is one of the highest in SAO.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 30, 2012 12:36 AM

Jul 2011
kaimax said:
_Saburo_ said:
The only thing I don't like is that he is a legend. I feel like he is overrated, as if known throughout all of SAO.

Well, in fact he is well known throughout all of SAO. It's a fact nothing was exaggerated, he's just that good.
-Strong Soloist (defies the MMO survivability logic)
-Frontliner (Frontliners are famous because their the ones spear heading the progress to clear the game)
-Beater (Infamously known as the strongest beta tester that "purposely" won't share any knowledge to any other player)
-Black Swordsman (His appearance and build as one of the strongest one-handed swordsman)

and currently, him being lvl 78 is one of the highest in SAO.

adding to that, he also got the final attack on the 1st boss and helped out with other boss fights and solo'd nicholas the renegade

he isn't really a legend, he isn't well known throughout the whole of SAO, he is just slightly popular in the front lines and some people have heard rumors about him

well although i say popular, i think infamous is a better word to describe him
Jul 30, 2012 2:12 AM

Nov 2011
25 episodes thank god, with pacing of the last 2 i was thinking it was going to be 12..... Well the only dissapointing thing here is that there was no Asuna yet again but it was still a good ep

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 30, 2012 2:26 AM

Feb 2012
PirateKingz said:
Wow, Kirito's already level 78. Does anyone know if SAO's max level is 99 or if there's no limit to leveling?

I dont remember them saying a max level i know they get into the 90s but, no max was mentioned as far as i know
Jul 30, 2012 2:39 AM
Oct 2011
Finally reached the 20th page, I've read almost everything before to see where this is going.

-MgZ_ said:
So basically, A-1 Pictures do not fucking care to those who did not read the novel. That's what I understood after watching episode two, three and four.

or does A-1 Pictures thought people who didn't read the novel will understand the side stories in Volume Two with just showing the introduction in Volume One? There's a reason why did the author called it "Side Stories"...

I bet the 159 people that dropped SAO had a reason like "Wtf is going on here", "What's the connection to the last episode", "Who the shit is this", "Where's the character's last episode", "I don't understand a thing".

I give up. Im not expecting anything great anymore. Sure they did Animate the important parts and shit. The super rushed style is inevitable if it will only have 24 episodes. Or is it? I believe they do not need to rush things if they didn't include the side stories and focused on Volume One. At first, I thought they are animating the side stories because they wanna do the chronological order so that people will have an easier time understanding it. But they are just messing it up.

So why are they even animating the side stories? I can only think of one reason. They are doing it so that they can include characters like Sachi, Silica, Liz and Yui. They thought they will get higher ratings and stuff if they show a lot of moeness. The y thought the Anime will appear a lot better if there's a bunch of cute characters in it. They are certainly right but that's just so disappointing. The fact that a production studio thinks like that sucks.

I hope it doesn't get worse. Just stay like this or get better. Please.

P.S: I don't have any complains in the Art and Animation department though. Dat Silica bed scene! Kirito was badass. Though there should be more action than that in the Kirito vs 10 scene. Well, nvm.

As someone who didn't read the LN I could agree to an extent with what you said, the bolded part especially. Moeness/Lolies in an MMORPG (or action in general) anime, what could the Otaku in Japan ask for more than that? especially if they play MMORPG. Personally I don't play MMORPG and I'm not really into moe that much nor too much fan-service, thus I didn't like this episode. I understand that it's still in it's beginning so I'll probably keep watching until the main plot appears.

kayos90 said:
AnimeFtw1 said:
kayos90 said:
AnimeFtw1 said:
Can someone tell me if it's actually going to get good? If you've seen the manga ofc.

It gets good. At least in the LN it does.

I feel like there's no main story and it's all fillers atm.

It will sadly stay that way for a while. In all honesty it's to develop characters a bit/fill in background as well as explain the world of the game. It'll go with the DtB style for a while. Assuming this next arc is two episodes and the the next side stories will take 3 then we'll see the main stuff jump in at episode 10.
I hope I can survive watching it until episode 10, as I said above I don't play MMORPG nor do I like moe, and the character designs are not that interesting for me, Kirito and Asuna's namely (they're like, normal?), so... Well, I'll try continuing it, at least I hope I'll be able to.
Jul 30, 2012 2:49 AM

Jun 2007
As much as I like the concept of the show so far, there are some serious problems.

I don't feel like I know Kirito at all. Which makes it seem like there is no main character. There is so much missing that I have no attachment to the show, and couldn't care less if he fell on his sword and died next episode.

Maybe it's like this in the books (or wherever this show came from), but they are going way too fast and putting far too much in a single episode. Every episode so far, with the exception of the first one, could have been comfortable stretched out to at least 3.
LeondreJul 30, 2012 3:03 AM
Jul 30, 2012 3:31 AM

Feb 2012
Rainbow-Dash said:
As much as I like the concept of the show so far, there are some serious problems.

I don't feel like I know Kirito at all. Which makes it seem like there is no main character. There is so much missing that I have no attachment to the show, and couldn't care less if he fell on his sword and died next episode.

Maybe it's like this in the books (or wherever this show came from), but they are going way too fast and putting far too much in a single episode. Every episode so far, with the exception of the first one, could have been comfortable stretched out to at least 3.

Character development with kirito happens in the main story line which has yet to be aired yet. Your not seeing anything since we are just watching side stories.
Jul 30, 2012 3:54 AM

Jan 2010
...fucking 20 pages for this shit?

Anyway, dropped. Stupid first episode got my hopes up only for them to be crushed by these last 3 episodes.
Jul 30, 2012 4:11 AM

Feb 2012
holypoop said:
...fucking 20 pages for this shit?

Anyway, dropped. Stupid first episode got my hopes up only for them to be crushed by these last 3 episodes.

I would put it on hold until the main story starts rather then, dropping the series all together.
Jul 30, 2012 4:48 AM

Nov 2009
who cares about those guys, if they want to drop it, just fking drop.

basically we have novel reader and non-novel reader, and each of them has 2 conflicting perspectives.

for those who didn't read the novel:

1/ what they like about is badass kirito, interesting plot based on virtual game, nice art works(including moe, etc), and hope for the story to progress more.
2/ those who couldn't stand moeness, or didn't even read other's posts, they just wonder what the heck is happening since the main plot haven't progressed much cause the producer focused on the side story now.

for those who read the novel:

1/ they seem to understand what the producer intend to do when trying to adapt those side stories first instead of showing the main plot right away, and they do understand that even in the novel, the first time kirito was introduced, he was already in the 74th floor and everything begins there.
2/ those side stories are rushed as hell, they need to put more details into it, or just focus on the main plot now and do the side stories as OVA.

for those who wonder, do u guys know why the original author decided to write side stories? that is because novel readers require more information, or want to explore the Aincrad world which obviously wasn't portrayed enough in the main plot. That's why volume 1 is all about the plot while volume 2 is full of side story. That's why for those who haven't read the novel, it is better for them to understand about the world of Aincrad first, then progressing into the main plot.
Takana_no_HanaJul 30, 2012 4:56 AM
Jul 30, 2012 4:56 AM
Jan 2012
Dunno why but throughout the whole episode I had a feeling that she would get killed off like Sachi e.e
Maybe I should just stop thinking about how they killed off Sachi and how they probably will kill off everyone new he meets.
Jul 30, 2012 6:59 AM

Oct 2009
Rexky said:
That means they have a 40 dps.

That guild must be a full of scrubs.

We don't know their raw dps, Kirito just has that much defense.

Makes me think about the game Ragnarok actually: At high level and with enough gear, even if you are attacked by characters at same or higher level than you, you're untouchable.
Jul 30, 2012 7:40 AM
Feb 2012
Vforvendetta said:
who cares about those guys, if they want to drop it, just fking drop.

basically we have novel reader and non-novel reader, and each of them has 2 conflicting perspectives.

for those who didn't read the novel:

1/ what they like about is badass kirito, interesting plot based on virtual game, nice art works(including moe, etc), and hope for the story to progress more.
2/ those who couldn't stand moeness, or didn't even read other's posts, they just wonder what the heck is happening since the main plot haven't progressed much cause the producer focused on the side story now.

for those who read the novel:

1/ they seem to understand what the producer intend to do when trying to adapt those side stories first instead of showing the main plot right away, and they do understand that even in the novel, the first time kirito was introduced, he was already in the 74th floor and everything begins there.
2/ those side stories are rushed as hell, they need to put more details into it, or just focus on the main plot now and do the side stories as OVA.

for those who wonder, do u guys know why the original author decided to write side stories? that is because novel readers require more information, or want to explore the Aincrad world which obviously wasn't portrayed enough in the main plot. That's why volume 1 is all about the plot while volume 2 is full of side story. That's why for those who haven't read the novel, it is better for them to understand about the world of Aincrad first, then progressing into the main plot.

that's how it is in a nutshell. very well summarized views.

+1 for you sir
Jul 30, 2012 7:42 AM

Nov 2010
Running into those tranny's of episode 1 was hilarious
Jul 30, 2012 8:39 AM

Jan 2008
As somebody who hadn't seen the novel, I actually enjoy this anime a lot. Maybe cuz I'm a MMO player and I don't particularly dislike moe. And Kirito is badass.
Jul 30, 2012 9:21 AM
Feb 2012
I can't decide which one was better this week- Accel World or SAO? 5/5

And good God, look at that poll! What an outstanding result.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jul 30, 2012 10:41 AM

Feb 2009
This anime get's better and better :)
Jul 30, 2012 11:40 AM

Aug 2011
wow first i read description of it i think "wow i think it's gonna be fun" but wohoo it's alot better, every episode is better and better! and i love this op good guy i want be like he :3
Jul 30, 2012 11:43 AM
Mar 2012
I dont follow the manga or novel, and it seems like they skipped a lot of things in between.
first floor -> lvl 43(black cats) -> lvl 79 (this episode)

but this episode was really nice.

episode rating: 9.5/10

overall rating as of now: 7/10
Jul 30, 2012 11:45 AM
Apr 2011
kanohistorm said:
I dont follow the manga or novel, and it seems like they skipped a lot of things in between.
first floor -> lvl 43(black cats) -> lvl 79 (this episode)

but this episode was really nice.

episode rating: 9.5/10

overall rating as of now: 7/10

There's not much skipped - yes, they skipped floors and levels, but would you honestly want to watch whole arcs of Kirito solo grinding? Having done that in many MMO's I can honestly say it's not worth spending that much time on (and would prolly cause many people to stop caring.
Jul 30, 2012 11:55 AM

Apr 2012
GuiltyKing said:

For last week I think Accel World was better

but this week SAO was better ..

For next week ..
"You must be joking" -Gorobei
Jul 30, 2012 12:22 PM

Jul 2012
xRaiNx said:
GuiltyKing said:

For last week I think Accel World was better

but this week SAO was better ..

For next week ..

I believe next week's ep is supposed to be based off of...
Fan of the series? Check us out!
Jul 30, 2012 12:28 PM

Jun 2009
Really good episode, I thought. I like how we learned about Kirito and his relationship with his sister. The way it was revealed was surprisingly natural and Kirito was a straight up bad ass at the end there and yet he has a sense of humility about him that makes him pretty likable as well as helping out the guy whose guild was PK'd and all.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 30, 2012 2:33 PM

Jul 2011
the side stories of volume 2 were supposed to be read separately, thats why it doesn't really flow as well as vol.1 because in vol 2 there are time skips between each story, this is the main problem of the anime's chronological order because with all the time skips you don't really get to see the characters properly grow and you start to question their personality

one example being kirito declaring he is going solo on ep2 and then joining a guild in ep3, although we Light Novel readers know there was a timeskip and understand that kirito was lonely the people watching for the first time won't understand what has happened, the anime did show the dates but it can be hard to memorize the dates (well for me anyway)

however doing it in this way will benefit the anime more because it all comes together in the end and explains a lot of the stuff that comes in later and allows them to end the first cour properly-with a good ending
Jul 30, 2012 3:21 PM
Jul 2012
this EP makes a huge mistake..and unforgiveable

i'm disappointed..everything went smooth and THAT ruined the entire show,
rimartworkJul 30, 2012 3:29 PM
Pages (14) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is it just me, or do you guys also like asuna a lot? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Sep 25

70 by Ilhan391 »»
5 hours ago

» SAO watch order

18s - Sep 26

16 by Justforseven1 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

492 by ItsXolo »»
Sep 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Aug 25, 2012

535 by AliQasim22 »»
Sep 13, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

951 by Rexnihilo »»
Sep 7, 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.