Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 2, 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
Given the nature of this show, taking on combat missions almost seems like a suicide.

Machine lifeforms in ths show are like an enigma. 2B had her hands full dealing with them again, a strange group of them tbh. It was cool to see 2B team up with other characters though. Even with this episode's feeling of despair, it felt like a classic. Music in this show still sets a high standard.
Aug 2, 8:47 AM

Feb 2020
Interesting backstory.

Pretty much as emotional as the previous episode. Lots of nice action scenes too.

SerafosAug 2, 9:45 AM
Aug 2, 9:43 AM

Jul 2017
Another excellent episode and quite some brutal imagery there shown in the other side of the Pearl Harbor Descent incident, focusing more from A2's backstory side this time around and the rollercoaster of emotions and the shitshow that took place as a whole towards the end there. Connects well with the sixth episode material from the first season and seeing how some people went out like Rose in full force was brutal as hell with the suicide there, since that episode did show her forcing to separate herself from Lily and tell her to escape before everything went down that was seen here. Tragic stuff as a whole once again and with seeing it more fleshed out in this episode, the overall incident collectively does feel even more disturbing as a whole. I mean, A2 did lose everyone and managed to survive and those sacrifices to people that she loved and cared about were to satisfy goals that were planned out for the future? This occurring with no care or remorse whatsoever. Music once again was absolutely top notch and it looks pretty solid too once again, this cour in general has just felt much more polished and consistent than the first season in that aspect. Good focus on giving more depth to A2 as a character as she takes center stage as one of the key characters for the remainder of this series. This whole cour so far has just been one painful episode tone-wise after another, and it all works so well without feeling forced or overloaded with that kind of emotional storytelling that I find taxing and forceful to the point of parody in a lot of other series. Testament to just how good the writing in the game and side material are when it comes to NieR:Automata.
Aug 2, 9:48 AM

Feb 2019
Another emotionally charged and beautifully executed ep by A-1. Man I’m so happy with how they’ve adapted this.

The emphasis on the resistance and their relationships in general with Yorha has been great throughout this adaptation. They’ve made them feel like living breathing proper parts of the story as opposed to just the NPCs they felt like in the game. But A2’s story in particular today was gut wrenching because we see this happy go lucky full of life person in A2 suddenly lose everything in the crash, gain a new family and then have them brutally taken from her, see her friends and comrades’ bodies desecrated and then watch the last remaining ones make the ultimate sacrifice saving her.

Easy to imagine why A2 became so jaded and rebelled against the bunker. Stranded with no 9s to be her emotional support like 2B has, no help from command and her trauma.. anyone would go into a little emo edgy phase. Her hatred for machines makes sense for obvious reasons too. What makes 2B different is having 9s right there at her side through all the hardship. Having someone that can help carry that burden is tremendous. A2 enduring all this time is why she’s best girl.

Can’t wait for the next episode!
Marinate1016Aug 2, 10:36 AM
Aug 2, 10:12 AM

Jul 2011
Now the first part flashback was completed.

Sure, was PTSD fueled nightmare, but the way I see 2A was dreaming.
Aug 2, 10:38 AM

Mar 2020
Ah, now I understand why Toshimasa Ishii was the episode director for this episode in particular, because he also directed and storyboarded Episode 6 from the first cour, which told a similar story from a different perspective. Here, we got the flashback in A2's memories. Another really solid, emotional episode, with a whole lot more polish than the material in the first cour. Painful times, one after another here, and this is really showing off how well written the game's story was, and I can tell even though I haven't played the game myself.
Aug 2, 10:57 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
As tactics go EMP combined with surface to orbit fire was textbook for dealing with void insertions. And damm it was real effective. But in the early days trust between the two factions sure was tense. It must had been heartbreaking to fight against your former allies now being controlled by the machines. Damm man that fight was equally traumatic and one that had disturbing revelations. No wonder A2 decided on her new path. I think A2 would be pleased to see how much Lily has grown since then.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 10:59 AM

Sep 2018
The direction of cour 2 is so good, much better than first cour. Remind me of 86 Eighty Six
Aug 2, 11:06 AM
Jul 2024
Reply to Stark700
Given the nature of this show, taking on combat missions almost seems like a suicide.

Machine lifeforms in ths show are like an enigma. 2B had her hands full dealing with them again, a strange group of them tbh. It was cool to see 2B team up with other characters though. Even with this episode's feeling of despair, it felt like a classic. Music in this show still sets a high standard.
@Stark700 That's actually A2, Pod is repairing some of her Memory, but we see her as 2B which is weird. Man they got massacred on their mission.
Aug 2, 11:30 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Stark700

Stark700 said:
It was A2 story. After that mission she deserted out Yorha
Aug 2, 11:31 AM

Jan 2018
Another backstory episode with A2. This part wasn't in the game. Which means this episode probably also adapts from a book.

Even though they're machines, the gore looks so realistic and disgusting. I think they can show this only because they're androids. If they were human characters, the gore would probably be heavily censored.

This was a really good episode. It probably connects with the A2 and Lily episode from Season 1 well which I mostly forgot. I need to rewatch this anime once every episode is out to experience it properly like the game.

I really feel bad about A2. She was such a cheerful android. But she had to go through so much shit not just because of the machines but also Command for using her unit like guinea pigs. It's sick. She wasn't fit to be a leader. She probably could've done better as an Operator. But then the moon base would've been destroyed anyway. So, in a roundabout way, this ended up saving her life. Tho I doubt you can call surviving after being so heavily traumatized living... It's sad.

Can't wait for the next episode.
0451Aug 2, 11:35 AM
Aug 2, 11:33 AM

Jul 2010
Ugh

I don't mind Pearl Harbor being shown (for the second time, at that) and I understand not everyone played the game, read the manga/novel but I am getting sick of seeing this story.

Not only that, just like the previous time, the adaptation is god-awful. It's rushed and convoluted mess with certain parts missing. The smart thing to do would be adapting it ONCE, either in this season the previous, even better- make 3-4 specials/ovas to show the entire material. This way you don't steal screentime from actually important events that still need to be shown here.

Because I highly doubt anime-only viewers have any attachment to these characters, except A2 and maaaaaaybe Lily. Everyone else are just cannon folder
Aug 2, 11:35 AM

Jul 2010
Reply to 0451
Another backstory episode with A2. This part wasn't in the game. Which means this episode probably also adapts from a book.

Even though they're machines, the gore looks so realistic and disgusting. I think they can show this only because they're androids. If they were human characters, the gore would probably be heavily censored.

This was a really good episode. It probably connects with the A2 and Lily episode from Season 1 well which I mostly forgot. I need to rewatch this anime once every episode is out to experience it properly like the game.

I really feel bad about A2. She was such a cheerful android. But she had to go through so much shit not just because of the machines but also Command for using her unit like guinea pigs. It's sick. She wasn't fit to be a leader. She probably could've done better as an Operator. But then the moon base would've been destroyed anyway. So, in a roundabout way, this ended up saving her life. Tho I doubt you can call surviving after being so heavily traumatized living... It's sad.

@0451 it was in the novel, manga and yes, it was in the game- in logs Anemone shows you. You can visit the camp and read them but I understand people were bored to do that or simply missed that.
Aug 2, 11:38 AM

Jan 2018
Reply to TheMangaManiac
@0451 it was in the novel, manga and yes, it was in the game- in logs Anemone shows you. You can visit the camp and read them but I understand people were bored to do that or simply missed that.
@TheMangaManiac I didn't really pay much attention to the terminal stuff so I probably forgot them.
Aug 2, 11:40 AM

Oct 2016
They went back to show more of the play and manga now that the latter is finished. Makes sense, and helps to flesh A2 more before continuing the main plot.
CaptainKenshiroAug 2, 11:52 AM
Aug 2, 11:42 AM

May 2015
Vietnam flashback!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 2, 11:58 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to 0451

@0451 The A2 side adapts from the YoRHa Stage play which was for a brief time in Japan and then adapted to a manga short series.

I completed the game a few weeks ago and rewatching the anime has been a rollercoaster of emotions, this episode has been a gut punch with how crude and somber the story of A2 was. Also, a few days ago I watched the whole lore of NieR/Drakengard and now I really want an adaptation of Replicant and Drakengard 3 with this same studio/quality... XD
Aug 2, 12:04 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Sheol01
@Stark700 That's actually A2, Pod is repairing some of her Memory, but we see her as 2B which is weird. Man they got massacred on their mission.
@Sheol01 A2 is a prototype for E-type models (basicly older sister)
Aug 2, 12:08 PM

Jan 2018
kyo2004 said:
@0451 The A2 side adapts from the YoRHa Stage play which was for a brief time in Japan and then adapted to a manga short series.

I completed the game a few weeks ago and rewatching the anime has been a rollercoaster of emotions, this episode has been a gut punch with how crude and somber the story of A2 was. Also, a few days ago I watched the whole lore of NieR/Drakengard and now I really want an adaptation of Replicant and Drakengard 3 with this same studio/quality... XD

I really hope Replicant gets an anime. It could really use it. As much as I love the game, it's full of fat and could use a lot of trimming. Most of the side-quests are fetch quests and unlike Automata which only has you replay the whole campaign twice to get the full perspective and the final ending, you need to replay Replicant 4 times to get the new ending in the remastered version. By the 3rd playthrough, it starts to become a chore. So, it'd be great if they make an anime adaptation where they show you the story in a satisfying way without all the hallmarks of a PS3 game from 2010.

However, it must be with the same team that's currently doing NieR Automata Season 2. I wouldn’t trust it with a different studio and also without Yoko Taro's supervision.
Aug 2, 12:10 PM

Feb 2014
The direction of this episode was superbly well done.

It followed the same story that we saw from the previous season, but it was solely more from A2's point of view, showcasing the struggles that her squad went through on their mission. It was painful to see how the harmony that A2's squad the the Resistance group had was short lived as their enemies took most of them out one by one.

Honestly, you can't help but sympathise with A2 and why she's become who she is in the present story, thanks to how she and her teammates were nothing more than test mules on a mission that was supposed to have all of them killed off.

With A2 now awake again thanks to Pod 42 helping her out, along with Pascal, I do look forward to seeing her interactions with them and seeing what she'll do next. =)
Aug 2, 12:43 PM

Jan 2009
so a2 is the same model as 2b all along then that maybe the reason 2b can transfer her memories to a2 in the old episode

whats the meaning of life? to have a family? to protect everyone like a2? its different for each individual for sure
Aug 2, 1:24 PM
May 2015
It's crazy to see how A2 was before the current time period of the story. I don't remember much of the game at all, so it's definitely giving me a little whiplash. It's hard to not sympathize with A2 given the dirty treatment she received.

I'm not mistaken, the latter half of the memory repairs were 2B's memories but with A2 living in them, yes?
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Aug 2, 1:43 PM

Jul 2022
The worst part of the episode is that you know how it ends to some extent, but this time, instead of seeing Lily's perspective, we see A2's, and that doesn't make it any less sad. Poor A2; she just wanted a family. I'm not sure if she already knows there's no human to save.

What I didn't quite understand is whether YoRHa had been hacked for a long time or if YoRHa betrayed them to create better models by sending them on that mission. I'm convinced this story won't have a happy ending. I just hope A2 and 9S find peace, along with the remaining YoRHa units (if any are left) and the peaceful machines. It's worth dreaming.
Aug 2, 1:50 PM
Mar 2024
Stark700 said:

I think you may either be an episode behind, mixed up the name, or just misunderstood who this episode was about, this was A2’s backstory before she went rogue, 2B was not in this episode
Aug 2, 1:52 PM
Mar 2024
Sheol01 said:

We dont see her ‘as’ 2B, they just share the same android model, 2B even mentions this when she first meets Lily back when they first go to the resistance camp
Aug 2, 2:05 PM
May 2021
Wow what a great ep, such a sad backstory damn 2B :(
Aug 2, 3:11 PM

Nov 2021
The imagery at the beginning of the episode was really disturbing with the mutilated androids. I remember they showed part of A2's backstory in part 1 (I'm anime only) and it's interesting how they split it up like that, I wonder if there is any particular reason for it.
Aug 2, 3:15 PM
Oct 2022
I love it because we can look at a2S perspective
Aug 2, 3:53 PM

Dec 2018
Mostly material from the novel but it's pretty important. Part of me feels like this adaptation is kind of checking off boxes like "yeah that happened" but this is one of the first times you can feel the emotion from the source material.
Aug 2, 6:01 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to deg
so a2 is the same model as 2b all along then that maybe the reason 2b can transfer her memories to a2 in the old episode

whats the meaning of life? to have a family? to protect everyone like a2? its different for each individual for sure
deg said:

2B (2E) was created based on A2 combat data
Aug 2, 9:42 PM
Oct 2019
Wow we finally getting the full backstory from A2.
Damn what an emotional episode ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Aug 2, 11:32 PM
Jan 2018
Reply to DragonKnight92
The direction of cour 2 is so good, much better than first cour. Remind me of 86 Eighty Six
@DragonKnight92 this episode is directed by the same director as 86. lol
Aug 3, 12:53 AM
Apr 2019
Can someone mark the cuts where the Red Girl appears?
I have missed but the character (CV: Endoh Ruka) is listed in the cast roster in this episode.
Aug 3, 3:38 AM
Jul 2024
Reply to flareneos43
It's crazy to see how A2 was before the current time period of the story. I don't remember much of the game at all, so it's definitely giving me a little whiplash. It's hard to not sympathize with A2 given the dirty treatment she received.

I'm not mistaken, the latter half of the memory repairs were 2B's memories but with A2 living in them, yes?
@flareneos43 non, all of the memories were A2's. this entire sequence was her pearl harbor descent where she finds out they were sent out there to die and gather data for stronger combat models in the future, that being 2B which came much later than A2
Aug 3, 3:40 AM
Jul 2024
Reply to jas-samaaa
Wow what a great ep, such a sad backstory damn 2B :(
@jas-samaaa that was A2's backstory not 2B, 2B didn't even exist at that point. they look similar because they share the same android model as established in the previous season
Aug 3, 6:29 AM
May 2021
Reply to bonnibelio_
@jas-samaaa that was A2's backstory not 2B, 2B didn't even exist at that point. they look similar because they share the same android model as established in the previous season
@bonnibelio_ ohh yh thats makes sense was confused cant lie.
Aug 3, 9:25 AM

Dec 2020
What an episode ๐Ÿ˜ญ

they are nailing this adaptation this season, this is incredible
Aug 3, 2:38 PM
May 2015
Reply to bonnibelio_
@flareneos43 non, all of the memories were A2's. this entire sequence was her pearl harbor descent where she finds out they were sent out there to die and gather data for stronger combat models in the future, that being 2B which came much later than A2
@bonnibelio_ I was just confused because everyone in her memories were the same characters from s1 with 2B. I get they're essentially the same model so that may change how things are viewed, and so that fucked me up

The personalities and events sequences were very obviously different, but the characters are what fucked me up haha
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Aug 3, 3:29 PM
Apr 2023
Freesia... damn, if only naming someone is like that of Tensura, she would have gotten a power up. Like a bigger butt, maybe.
Aug 3, 5:05 PM
Apr 2019
As a huge fan of the game, i am loooving this season. I love learning more about the characters. Poor A2 :'(
Aug 3, 7:14 PM
Feb 2022
A2 deserves better. The face of A2 after everything is the face of somebody dead inside.

Spanish translation:
A2 merece algo mejor. La cara de A2 después de todo es la cara de alguien muerto por dentro.
Aug 4, 2:14 AM

Aug 2017
3/5 I didn't find this episode as good.

It's not the same without 2b.
Aug 4, 2:24 AM
Jul 2024
damn this episode goes deep
Aug 4, 3:30 AM
Jul 2024
ehh, I like that they showed exactly what the machines told A2 and exactly how she got to the point she is now, but I think they could have condensed those important parts instead of doing another full flashback episode. again the stuff we didn't see previously from A2's perspective was good but I'm a little disappointed as I was hoping we'd keep the pace going from ep4 and get back into 9s and a2
Aug 4, 6:22 AM
Sep 2013
CarbonMD said:

It is normal to be so, it means that the plot is working. A2 will eventually enter your heart equally. Don't be angry, you will see that the best is yet to come.
Aug 4, 11:01 AM

Apr 2015
Achei bem interessante apresentarem dessa forma o passado da 2B.
Aug 4, 12:06 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to diavol90
CarbonMD said:

It is normal to be so, it means that the plot is working. A2 will eventually enter your heart equally. Don't be angry, you will see that the best is yet to come.
@diavol90 nah even in the game I didn't enjoy it as much without 2b. I need that black Gothic dress, kuudere persona and yui ishikawa
Aug 4, 3:31 PM

Sep 2019
I love how even if I played the game this show keeps coming up with new surprises.

Damn, this episode got me emotionally destroyed just as much as the first part of this story did.

A2 is such a great character and I loved her in the game. So, I am so glad I got to learn more of her backstory.

I really need to pick up the manga and the books some day. Great episode! 5/5
Aug 4, 11:37 PM

Aug 2011
I NOW FEEL LIKE 9S AFTER WATCHING THIS EPISODE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ONORE YOKO TARO
Aug 5, 8:12 AM

May 2018
Nice A2 flashback with a familiar story which we saw in season one from Lily's perspective.
Also my man Pasqual is back.
alshuAug 5, 8:22 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 23

31 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 9

49 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 26

71 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 30

35 by Gagarin »»
Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19

67 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Yesterday, 12:10 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.