Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 9:40 AM

May 2020
Yeah, I don’t know why they had that sappy background theme when this guy, who obviously has an abnormal hobby, was standing beside the window sighing over “another” confession letter. We’re supposed to believe his “she” persona is very popular and answering these kinds of confessions is tiring??? They might actually be serious with this sentiment as I mean you see the reaction of that girl who was confessing, sigh.

“She guy” is famous, for every wrong reason as anyone could guess, but this other girl might actually be someone who could make this series bearable and watchable, provided, they don’t fucking try playing a dark and sad flashback showing how this guy’s mother or someone was actually reasonable and stopping him from becoming what he has become. Not sure what to make of this, but will watch a few more episodes.
Jul 4, 9:39 AM

Nov 2011
Going to have to get used to Makoto's gender because of his looks. He and Saki seems to be a main focus in this episode for now.

It's amusing seeing the show change many times from it regular art style to a much more cartoony version. This takes place in school so there's time for character growth and story development. Not sure how I feel about the personalities of yet but could take some time to get used to. They also seems normal and behave like their age. Saki happens to be the more energetic of the pair.
Jul 4, 9:40 AM

Jul 2017
Mangaka Pomu's Senpai wa Otokonoko is also a romance show to look out for, being a crossdressing show!

Kujira's OST is rather fine, though nothing special.

2nd Year Senpai Makoto Hanaoka sure steals the show for being a womanly girl at first glance receiving a love letter from a girl, but it couldn't be farther from the truth...that she's a cross-dressing boy, and that doesn't faze 1st Year student Saki Aoi, who fell in love with him at first sight. Even when Makoto is already infamous around his school for parading as a girly boy, Aoi is just relentless and pushes to recognize her love for him, without prejudice whatsoever, and that makes their relationship tick.

Makoto's childhood friend of Taiga Ryuji interrogating Aoi simply because he couldn't trust her, and it all had to do with the handkerchief that she still is hanging onto with his blood. And to think that she finally has a threat on Ryuji, because he has childhood photos of Makoto that Aoi would DIE to know, it still may make Makoto all the more uncomfortable, but letting Aoi know about this is just too simple lols no thanks to Ryuji's naivety. At the very least, Aoi's subservience to Ryuji and Makoto, is making the latter's life a little better...aside from having a private closet in the equipment room to change between his school uniforms.

Get ready for this rather cross-dressing rom-com hijink of a show, this is going to be just as fun as any other rom-com show this season, which romance fans are EATING hard, A LOT.
KANLen09Jul 6, 11:15 AM
Jul 4, 10:11 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to Softhenic03
Yeah, I don’t know why they had that sappy background theme when this guy, who obviously has an abnormal hobby, was standing beside the window sighing over “another” confession letter. We’re supposed to believe his “she” persona is very popular and answering these kinds of confessions is tiring??? They might actually be serious with this sentiment as I mean you see the reaction of that girl who was confessing, sigh.

“She guy” is famous, for every wrong reason as anyone could guess, but this other girl might actually be someone who could make this series bearable and watchable, provided, they don’t fucking try playing a dark and sad flashback showing how this guy’s mother or someone was actually reasonable and stopping him from becoming what he has become. Not sure what to make of this, but will watch a few more episodes.
@Softhenic03 "becoming what he has become" why do you talk about it as if Makoto is some kind of monster? Transphobia much?
Jul 4, 10:11 AM

Apr 2010
Well i like that Aoi is going all out and that she doesn't mind the gender of her loved one.
I wonder if we are going to get much drama in this one seeing this episode was pretty lighthearted but the topic is a bit controversial.
With Aoi's personality we might not have much to worry about tho.
Jul 4, 12:16 PM
Sep 2015
It's good choice that Makoto has masculine voice actor because not all male-to-female crossdressers have feminine voice.

Anyway, I love Ryuji.
Jul 4, 12:52 PM

Mar 2020
Another promising romance here, seems like Thursday's seasonals might end up being mostly romances for me. Aoi's energy was really cool, and her obliviousness to some of the more serious social issues was funny as well. A refreshing take on romance and love triangles here. Animation was mediocre, as expected from Project No. 9, the track record of which is not great at all when it comes to adaptations, but the chibi moments made up for some of those shortcomings. Should be an interesting ride!
Jul 4, 12:59 PM
May 2015
A little too heavy on the cartoony low budget sections, otherwise very good. I remember watching the trailer feeling like this could turn into a really good emotional story. After watching the first episode I'm looking forward to seeing the challenges the MC faces and the character growth.
Jul 4, 12:59 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to Softhenic03

Softhenic03 said:

Sounds like you didn't get it. Makoto doesn't get serious confessions at all. Makoto was prepared for getting pranked, or rather, bullied, again.

Though maybe I shouldn't argue with someone opening a discussion thread on a show that covers subject matter they clearly dislike.
Jul 4, 1:00 PM

Nov 2016
Imagine if Makoto pulled out his dick to show that he's a boy. Saki took it pretty well. She saw the perks of dating someone who can offer the best of both worlds.

Crossdressing in school is wild, tho. Understandably not everyone is so enthusiastic about his hobby, which is a shame for him, but it could be a lot worse. At my former school he wouldn't have survived a day xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 4, 1:07 PM

Oct 2017
I was genuinely asking myself why I was gonna watch this but I'm so glad I did. Absolutely loved watching Aoi, she's so adorable. Love her bubbly personality. Sekine Akira's voice acting is so on point and made her lovelier. If nothing else Aoi's gonna carry this show for me. That said this seems like it might take a deep dive into the crossdressing theme but I do hope it won't be something tragic and will left me with a smile on my face at the end.
Jul 4, 2:00 PM
Jan 2024
On my way to ignore every phobic person whom comes across this anime
BUT ANYWAY WAAAHHHH AOI IS ADORABLE i seriously miss watching anime series with a trio so this should be a fun watch. Also an added bonus of the simple artstyle change throughout the episode DAMN IT IM LIKING IT SO MUCH ALREADY
Jul 4, 2:18 PM
:3 enthusiast

Jun 2020
I really really love this so much already. I cried when Ryuji said "I need to protect him" It's so good.. It's so funny and very relatable to me. Am excited to see where it's going in the future!
nanicattoJul 4, 2:34 PM

Jul 4, 2:21 PM
Sep 2023
It was a great episode.I've been waiting for it for so long.
Jul 4, 2:24 PM
Mar 2024
I confused "Otokonoko" with "Tsuchinoko" so I was expecting a very different show.
Jul 4, 2:30 PM

May 2023
ahh cute first episode i thought project no.9 would make this anime bad but it turned out to be good actually, really really like the chibi mode in this anime, it's too cute and funny.

lots of comedy that immediately made me laugh, Aoi was too cute, i immediately liked her in this episode, Ryuuji really liked his overprotective intentions, Makoto's character is very kind and gentle. i'm very curious to see what his parents and siblings will react to him liking girl things.

the OP is too good OMG i'm addicted to the song, this immediately became my top 1 OP in this season ngl, the visuals are beautiful, and the beat drop part is nice to hear, I thought that at first this ED song would be okay but it turned out to be fun to listen to.
Jul 4, 2:50 PM

Feb 2019
It’s funny that after last season’s vampire dormitory which was probably the worst depiction of cross dressing and the complexities of that, we get this show which from the first episode alone I can already tell is going to be one of the most respectful, intelligent and nuanced takes on the lifestyle.

Gender, sexuality and identity are spectrums and delicate topics to handle, you don’t have to be boxed into one particular area just because of societal norms. I’m liking how this story is handling these concepts so far and it makes me happy to see Makoto living his truth, although the end scene made it clear that it’s not something he can fully do yet. He has to leave his true self behind when he goes home and that really broke my heart 💔

The concept of having an LGBTQ love triangle with a cross dresser at the center is so original and unlike anything I’ve seen. I mean you have the guy best friend who’s into Makoto and then the kouhai who likes him as a girl and a boy and it didn’t feel cringe or gimmicky at all.

Ryuji actually got my vote over Aoi rn for the ship because of how he’s been admiring Makoto and supporting him this whole time while not pressuring him or making him feel uncountable about his romantic feelings. Aoi is cute as heck and I love how she fangirls out so much over him though 😂

The art style and the various funny faces the characters make are so good too! Thursdays are looking amazing for romance fans a lot of FRESH takes on the genre which is very much welcome.
Marinate1016Jul 4, 3:00 PM
Jul 4, 2:54 PM

Nov 2017
I didn’t have high expectations with this studio but I’m pleasantly surprised about this first episode!

plz @ me
Jul 4, 3:08 PM

Oct 2016
Alright, I don't write replies in threads in MAL but I feel like commenting about this show, might even try to comment on each new episode. I added this when I was checking some MAL entries that haven't aired like 4 months ago or something like that and I'm always intrigued by the crossdressing in anime. First of all, since Makoto says he's a boy, I won't assume he is transwoman or anything like that so I hope I don't somehow piss someone off. I remember watching Hourou Musuko out of curiosity and I really enjoyed that show, it had a lot of drama so it was really entertaining. i feel like there's more LGTB stuff lately in anime, even though I feel like Japan is pretty conservative as a country so it doesn't show that much stuff like this, but even then I don't think otokonoko is necessarily something as complex as him having a different gender than his birth one. I'm sorry I didn't plan on dragging this topic this long, what I'm trying to say is that for me, crossdressing in anime feels like something completely different from what we know in the west with trans people.

This might be just my opinion or understanding but yeah, crossdressing characters in anime don't necessarily mean they want to be women, I like to think they just like wearing women's clothes, their sexual orientation might vary on the character honestly, I've seen a few that are into girls and some that just, want to be also date guys. Then there's the whole operation and hormonal thing which i can't say I've seen in anime honestly? Probably just in Hourou Musuko and some other shows. Then there's the whole Okama thing, which in my opinion are just gay men that like to dress up, but they still have bears and such.

This was all such a long way of saying, I like male characters that are just like "I feel like wearing a skirt" and that it doesn't have to such a big deal neither it has to mean something like he identifies as something besides a boy. Other characters I remember are maybe Rui from Gatchaman Crowds, who just wears girls clothes because he can, and looks great on them, but dresses for the streams and stuff and just wears his regular clothes when he's chilling. There was also that one dude in Tonkotsu Ramen that is a boy no matter how you see it, but he is just perma wearing girl clothes, mostly cause he's an assassin and uses it as honeytrap. I won't go into the whole famous trap characters or femboys, since I'm purely talking about clothes, maybe they align with what I've said, but I just felt like mentioning those that came to mind.

What I'm trying to get is that I like this idea of not meddling with the whole sexual identity or orientation and just talking about, it's just wardrobe, wear whatever you want. Ok maybe I can talk about the show now? lol, long ass intro. I think the mc is cute, both dressing up and without the clothes, Aoi is energetic af and I can appreciate it, I think her liking Makoto even after knowing the truth is cool I guess, it adds to the idea that one should always accept everyone for who they are, but I do feel like normally that might change your mind, but I guess she either likes really tall girls or otokonokos so it just works in her favor lol. Ryuji is fine, it's funny how he has pictures of his childhood friend that crossdresses lmao. But if he fell for him when they were kids I doubt the crossdressing is what made him fall for Makoto (I'm saying this cause maybe you could argue if he looks female enough, maybe the dude was sort of straight?) like dude was gay from day 1 anyway. And yeah, the mom obviously is against it, cause again japanese people are pretty conservative so a boy must dress like a boy so there's no room for debate there, weird she hasn't heard anything if the whole school knows about it. Kind of stupid that the teacher hesitated when he found out Makoto was the boy in charge, like bitch, would you also hesitate if the boy in charge was a shrimp? I'm guessing he just felt like Makoto couldn't do a boy's job but that's kind of stupid lol, but I guess I could just pass it as it being an "adults are prejudicial". Sorry for the wall text, I'll now try to reply to a few comments I felt like replying I guess
Jul 4, 3:39 PM

Oct 2016
@Softhenic03
Softhenic03 said:
We’re supposed to believe his “she” persona is very popular and answering these kinds of confessions is tiring???
No bro, if you watched the ep, Ryuji legit said they played pranks on him, dude was sighing cause he thought it was another troll.

Softhenic03 said:
they don’t fucking try playing a dark and sad flashback showing how this guy’s mother or someone was actually reasonable and stopping him from becoming what he has become.

Lol, I mean, I thought eleven_exists was exaggerating by calling you transphobe but maybe they were spot on? Like the mom will obviously be against it, that's why he hides it, and we'll totally have a whole thing about this, since that's the gimmick with these stories usually, that they aren't accepted for who they are and have trouble and whatever. If there is one case where you are right, is when they regret a transition, but even then the parents not allowing their kids to do something isn't reasonable lol, being reasonable is making sure that's the actual thing they want to do, and that they didn't rush into anything and that maybe they are old enough to choose for themselves, I won't get into more of it since it's not like I'm a defender of these things anyway but yeah, i doubt the mom is in the right here buddy lol.

@KANLen09 I always read replies like yours and think "this shit looks like AI" like I don't want to be mean, but is that really commenting on the thoughts you had on the episode? it just feels like a narration you make to promoto the next episode or a wiki article on the episode, like just describing what happened like you are feeding this text into a voice to show the episode to a blind person, I'm not trying to diss, just actually curious why you reply like this

@IzanaSolos what the...is this the same format as the guy above you? is there like a thread somewhere that invites you to play a game and reply in this format? i'm so confused

@FMmatron
FMmatron said:
Imagine if Makoto pulled out his dick to show that he's a boy
bro...I was really surprised at how he was showing her he was a boy, like I forget that the ribs and stomach has a certain shape in men, I was thinking "maybe she's just flat what does this show" but nah, it really has an iconic form, and then he also lowered his skirt a little...and thought what you said.
FMmatron said:
She saw the perks of dating someone who can offer the best of both worlds.
yeah I saw a bunch of people calling her bi, and I think some might not like me saying this but it's also sort of a fetishe of her, the otonoko part, I mean it like, girls wanting to have a sumbissive bf that dresses like a girl, that's what makes her nose bleed imo.
FMmatron said:
Crossdressing in school is wild, tho
I mean, bro wants to look like a girl and he can't do that shit at home, glad he has that little room to keep all that shit in. But it's like you said, even if he has no other place to do this, the school is pretty crazy, kids are so mean in general and so judgemental, even if bro is not doing anything wrong they will boo him for being different, it's not really a place for empathy so he's got quite a nerve to do it there

@Marinate1016
Marinate1016 said:
The concept of having an LGBTQ love triangle with a cross dresser at the center is so original and unlike anything I’ve seen
mmm I feel like I've seen something like that in Hourou Musuko.
Marinate1016 said:
Ryuji actually got my vote over Aoi rn for the ship because of how he’s been admiring Makoto and supporting him this whole time while not pressuring him or making him feel uncountable about his romantic feelings.
mmm honestly I get it if you like him more, but morally speaking I think Aoi has the highground cause she is honest with her feelings, she even says it "what, do you like sabotaging other's people relationshops?" if Ryuji doesn't have feelings for Makoto he shouldn't intervene lol, he obviously does and hasn't come to understand them yet but so far he is not on the same level as Aoi then, as a rival that is. You're right though, it might be confusing for Makoto to pressure him with something like dating him when he doesn't even know what he is yet. So far it seems like Makoto thinks of Ryuji as a really close friend but might fall for Aoi, maybe he's just into girls I dunno, if he were to fall for Ryuji he would have already is what I mean
Jul 4, 3:52 PM
Nov 2020
Reply to Softhenic03

@Softhenic03 they explained why he was sighing... He gets a lot of people which confess to him as a challenge or a dare making him think that it was going to another one of those fake confessions.. (idk what makoto/ people like him have down to you but it's okay dude 😪👍)
Jul 4, 3:58 PM

Apr 2012
The character reproaches the girl for continuing to love another girl, even after learning that she is a guy. We definitely live in the 21st century. But seriously, so far I like the first episode, although I am confused by the overuse of chibi inserts and the lack of any plot accents so far.

By the way, Aoi is clearly portrayed as a comedic over-the-top fangirl character, but the excellent voice acting and portrayal of the character's emotions make her quite likable and memorable.
Jul 4, 4:17 PM

Aug 2020
Not gonna, lie, this show is a DREAM for me to be adapted, I love the original series so much it easily fits within my top 10 favourite anime/manga series.

As a bigender person, this show is like... so COOL. I relate to makoto's struggle so much, and it's so nice to see Aoi being so upfront and fun about the situation. This episode def gives a good start to the show, and I can see that, that start will be very popular from the anitubers. I'm just so excited for this, seeing how my favourite scenes will be updated. I LOVE THE CHIBI AS WELL IT REALLY SHINES POMU'S STYLE AND JUST LIKE... WHAT A GREAT ADAPTATION OMGGGGG

THIS SHOW GOES WILD, LIKE, BE PREPARED FOR IT. idk how much of the manga it'll adapt but it looks like alot from the Opening, so we'll have to see, super excited however.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jul 4, 4:17 PM
May 2021
oh i am LOVING how bisexual this series feels
i only care about hot ppl fr fr
Jul 4, 4:25 PM
Jan 2023
Reply to Raarz
A little too heavy on the cartoony low budget sections, otherwise very good. I remember watching the trailer feeling like this could turn into a really good emotional story. After watching the first episode I'm looking forward to seeing the challenges the MC faces and the character growth.
@Raarz I don't know if thats really their decision to adapt the manga's art to make it more into comedy or they just don't have budget LOL
Jul 4, 4:32 PM
Jan 2023
Reply to Corrout
Not gonna, lie, this show is a DREAM for me to be adapted, I love the original series so much it easily fits within my top 10 favourite anime/manga series.

As a bigender person, this show is like... so COOL. I relate to makoto's struggle so much, and it's so nice to see Aoi being so upfront and fun about the situation. This episode def gives a good start to the show, and I can see that, that start will be very popular from the anitubers. I'm just so excited for this, seeing how my favourite scenes will be updated. I LOVE THE CHIBI AS WELL IT REALLY SHINES POMU'S STYLE AND JUST LIKE... WHAT A GREAT ADAPTATION OMGGGGG

THIS SHOW GOES WILD, LIKE, BE PREPARED FOR IT. idk how much of the manga it'll adapt but it looks like alot from the Opening, so we'll have to see, super excited however.
@Corrout Yeah I was SO hyped when I saw the manga's art in the series, I hoped that they really added it in to feature Pomu's cute art style :D
Jul 4, 4:42 PM

Apr 2016
This is an amazing adaptation. Really love the parts that represent manga.
Jul 4, 4:43 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to Kismet69
@Softhenic03
Softhenic03 said:
We’re supposed to believe his “she” persona is very popular and answering these kinds of confessions is tiring???
No bro, if you watched the ep, Ryuji legit said they played pranks on him, dude was sighing cause he thought it was another troll.

Softhenic03 said:
they don’t fucking try playing a dark and sad flashback showing how this guy’s mother or someone was actually reasonable and stopping him from becoming what he has become.

Lol, I mean, I thought eleven_exists was exaggerating by calling you transphobe but maybe they were spot on? Like the mom will obviously be against it, that's why he hides it, and we'll totally have a whole thing about this, since that's the gimmick with these stories usually, that they aren't accepted for who they are and have trouble and whatever. If there is one case where you are right, is when they regret a transition, but even then the parents not allowing their kids to do something isn't reasonable lol, being reasonable is making sure that's the actual thing they want to do, and that they didn't rush into anything and that maybe they are old enough to choose for themselves, I won't get into more of it since it's not like I'm a defender of these things anyway but yeah, i doubt the mom is in the right here buddy lol.

@KANLen09 I always read replies like yours and think "this shit looks like AI" like I don't want to be mean, but is that really commenting on the thoughts you had on the episode? it just feels like a narration you make to promoto the next episode or a wiki article on the episode, like just describing what happened like you are feeding this text into a voice to show the episode to a blind person, I'm not trying to diss, just actually curious why you reply like this

@IzanaSolos what the...is this the same format as the guy above you? is there like a thread somewhere that invites you to play a game and reply in this format? i'm so confused

@FMmatron
FMmatron said:
Imagine if Makoto pulled out his dick to show that he's a boy
bro...I was really surprised at how he was showing her he was a boy, like I forget that the ribs and stomach has a certain shape in men, I was thinking "maybe she's just flat what does this show" but nah, it really has an iconic form, and then he also lowered his skirt a little...and thought what you said.
FMmatron said:
She saw the perks of dating someone who can offer the best of both worlds.
yeah I saw a bunch of people calling her bi, and I think some might not like me saying this but it's also sort of a fetishe of her, the otonoko part, I mean it like, girls wanting to have a sumbissive bf that dresses like a girl, that's what makes her nose bleed imo.
FMmatron said:
Crossdressing in school is wild, tho
I mean, bro wants to look like a girl and he can't do that shit at home, glad he has that little room to keep all that shit in. But it's like you said, even if he has no other place to do this, the school is pretty crazy, kids are so mean in general and so judgemental, even if bro is not doing anything wrong they will boo him for being different, it's not really a place for empathy so he's got quite a nerve to do it there

@Marinate1016
Marinate1016 said:
The concept of having an LGBTQ love triangle with a cross dresser at the center is so original and unlike anything I’ve seen
mmm I feel like I've seen something like that in Hourou Musuko.
Marinate1016 said:
Ryuji actually got my vote over Aoi rn for the ship because of how he’s been admiring Makoto and supporting him this whole time while not pressuring him or making him feel uncountable about his romantic feelings.
mmm honestly I get it if you like him more, but morally speaking I think Aoi has the highground cause she is honest with her feelings, she even says it "what, do you like sabotaging other's people relationshops?" if Ryuji doesn't have feelings for Makoto he shouldn't intervene lol, he obviously does and hasn't come to understand them yet but so far he is not on the same level as Aoi then, as a rival that is. You're right though, it might be confusing for Makoto to pressure him with something like dating him when he doesn't even know what he is yet. So far it seems like Makoto thinks of Ryuji as a really close friend but might fall for Aoi, maybe he's just into girls I dunno, if he were to fall for Ryuji he would have already is what I mean
@Kismet69

Like in Genshiken they had a character crossdressing among otaku and cosplayers, they even had a club for that. But the series was also set in university where the students are much more tolerant and open minded on average.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 4, 5:26 PM
Jan 2022
They doing a good job for keeping the goofy style, and meanwhile serious part is still there. I really waiting for this one
Jul 4, 5:31 PM

Apr 2021
Interesting how society picks and chooses what mental illnesses to showcase in such a positive light. This should be only allowed as a parody or a hentai.

This boy should be getting bullied and rightfully so, every episode.
Jul 4, 5:44 PM
Aug 2018
Senpai Wa Otokonoko nokonoko koshitantan 🦌
Jul 4, 5:47 PM

Feb 2017
Kept thinking during the whole thing "why the wig? isn't it less of a hassle to let your hair grow long, not like it's that weird for guys anymore" but that last scene plus the hankerchief flashback made it all make sense.
Jul 4, 5:47 PM

Sep 2018
Not a fan of Shuuichirou Umeda voice acting the MC. I doubt I'll enjoy this as much as I did Hourou Musuko.
Jul 4, 6:20 PM
Nov 2023
Incredible character writing for an opening episode, they all have a degree of depth already! I can’t believe how infectious Aoi is, I lolled several times. And she’s more than just open minded, she’s actually super enthusiastic about the extra surprise she got from Makoto.
Bonus treat is the setting being Shichirigahama Koukou, the same school as Sakuta and Mai attended, although it was renamed Minegahara in that show… The view of Enoshima from the northeast made it clear.
Jul 4, 6:22 PM
Mar 2021
something tells me this is gonna hurt.
i really liked the frame of Aoi jumping from the tree. The way Makoto looks up at her is very cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 6:47 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to Oppai_Loli_God
Interesting how society picks and chooses what mental illnesses to showcase in such a positive light. This should be only allowed as a parody or a hentai.

@Oppai_Loli_God least obvious rage bait:
Jul 4, 7:14 PM
Nov 2023
I wasn't expecting anything. I felt it was a good start. Hope future episodes won’t disappoint me
Jul 4, 7:16 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to Oppai_Loli_God

@Oppai_Loli_God

Keep those transphobic tears coming
y u mad tho
Jul 4, 7:17 PM

Feb 2016
This anime gonna bring out all the bigots, people already trying to review bomb it on 9anime ong. Losers. Anyway this episode was so funny, and actually good anime lets go
Jul 4, 8:11 PM

Jan 2020
Basically it’s yuri and yaoi in one but better.
Jul 4, 8:15 PM

Jan 2020
Kismet69 said:
Alright, I don't write replies in threads in MAL but I feel like commenting about this show, might even try to comment on each new episode. I added this when I was checking some MAL entries that haven't aired like 4 months ago or something like that and I'm always intrigued by the crossdressing in anime. First of all, since Makoto says he's a boy, I won't assume he is transwoman or anything like that so I hope I don't somehow piss someone off. I remember watching Hourou Musuko out of curiosity and I really enjoyed that show, it had a lot of drama so it was really entertaining. i feel like there's more LGTB stuff lately in anime, even though I feel like Japan is pretty conservative as a country so it doesn't show that much stuff like this, but even then I don't think otokonoko is necessarily something as complex as him having a different gender than his birth one. I'm sorry I didn't plan on dragging this topic this long, what I'm trying to say is that for me, crossdressing in anime feels like something completely different from what we know in the west with trans people.

This might be just my opinion or understanding but yeah, crossdressing characters in anime don't necessarily mean they want to be women, I like to think they just like wearing women's clothes, their sexual orientation might vary on the character honestly, I've seen a few that are into girls and some that just, want to be also date guys. Then there's the whole operation and hormonal thing which i can't say I've seen in anime honestly? Probably just in Hourou Musuko and some other shows. Then there's the whole Okama thing, which in my opinion are just gay men that like to dress up, but they still have bears and such.

This was all such a long way of saying, I like male characters that are just like "I feel like wearing a skirt" and that it doesn't have to such a big deal neither it has to mean something like he identifies as something besides a boy. Other characters I remember are maybe Rui from Gatchaman Crowds, who just wears girls clothes because he can, and looks great on them, but dresses for the streams and stuff and just wears his regular clothes when he's chilling. There was also that one dude in Tonkotsu Ramen that is a boy no matter how you see it, but he is just perma wearing girl clothes, mostly cause he's an assassin and uses it as honeytrap. I won't go into the whole famous trap characters or femboys, since I'm purely talking about clothes, maybe they align with what I've said, but I just felt like mentioning those that came to mind.

What I'm trying to get is that I like this idea of not meddling with the whole sexual identity or orientation and just talking about, it's just wardrobe, wear whatever you want. Ok maybe I can talk about the show now? lol, long ass intro. I think the mc is cute, both dressing up and without the clothes, Aoi is energetic af and I can appreciate it, I think her liking Makoto even after knowing the truth is cool I guess, it adds to the idea that one should always accept everyone for who they are, but I do feel like normally that might change your mind, but I guess she either likes really tall girls or otokonokos so it just works in her favor lol. Ryuji is fine, it's funny how he has pictures of his childhood friend that crossdresses lmao. But if he fell for him when they were kids I doubt the crossdressing is what made him fall for Makoto (I'm saying this cause maybe you could argue if he looks female enough, maybe the dude was sort of straight?) like dude was gay from day 1 anyway. And yeah, the mom obviously is against it, cause again japanese people are pretty conservative so a boy must dress like a boy so there's no room for debate there, weird she hasn't heard anything if the whole school knows about it. Kind of stupid that the teacher hesitated when he found out Makoto was the boy in charge, like bitch, would you also hesitate if the boy in charge was a shrimp? I'm guessing he just felt like Makoto couldn't do a boy's job but that's kind of stupid lol, but I guess I could just pass it as it being an "adults are prejudicial". Sorry for the wall text, I'll now try to reply to a few comments I felt like replying I guess

The LGBTQ representation in anime (especially yuri) exists because sexually it’s easier to sell. The plethora of it is by no means reflective of the real world, in which there is a significantly smaller percentage of actual lesbians than there are yuri shows. I’m not saying this as someone who dislikes yuri but rather as an observation
Jul 4, 8:34 PM

Feb 2011
Arts great
humor is great
characters are great

this is a solid gr8/10

Jul 4, 9:05 PM
Dec 2020
Oppai_Loli_God said:

I would think being a pedo (like yourself) is more of a mental illness lol
Jul 4, 9:22 PM
Aug 2023
I’m 5 minutes in and I have one question only, and if someone could answer it that would be cool. It’s actually a multilayered question, where are his parents? Do they not see their son leaving the house in the uniform not assigned to him? How did the school miss this? No way everyone can be that oblivious….
Ugly11Jul 4, 9:29 PM
Jul 4, 9:34 PM

Mar 2016
Show is fine, if a bit stiffly animated.

Looking at this forum was a mistake, as a transphobe took the first post.
Jul 4, 10:23 PM
Jan 2021
For today's anime industry, this is already achievement. I am crying a lot.
Jul 4, 10:23 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to Ugly11
I’m 5 minutes in and I have one question only, and if someone could answer it that would be cool. It’s actually a multilayered question, where are his parents? Do they not see their son leaving the house in the uniform not assigned to him? How did the school miss this? No way everyone can be that oblivious….
@Ugly11 Read the Webtoon, folks, it's a life changing 100 chapters.
Jul 4, 10:31 PM
Jul 2019
klpg said:
where can I watch this? it's not on crunchyroll

it's there but not on simulcast list. you have to search it up. Senpai is a otokonoko
Jul 4, 10:33 PM
Jun 2020
Reply to ManphikaTheGreat
klpg said:
where can I watch this? it's not on crunchyroll

it's there but not on simulcast list. you have to search it up. Senpai is a otokonoko
@ManphikaTheGreat yeah thanks genius it wasn’t when I posted that
Jul 4, 10:33 PM
Jul 2019
I read the webtoon in one sitting and I'll tell you. It's freaking good. It's not just about a boy who crossdress... it's so much more than that.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 29

35 by uncleqrow »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jul 18

130 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Today, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jul 11

108 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Yesterday, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Aug 22

59 by snowykevin »»
Aug 28, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 15

45 by KANLen09 »»
Aug 22, 7:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.