Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 13, 2023 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
Well, this was an interesting development. For one, Yuzuhira was eager to test out her abilities. 

We got more info dump and lore that traces time back as far as 1000 years ago. The storytelling about the island, regions, and overall world building is interesting overall to the series. On a lighter note, we actually got the bath scenes from the manga lol. I like how they protrayed Sagiri as a caretaker than was a warrior.

Also happy to see Mei appear in this show.
May 13, 2023 7:29 AM

Jun 2019
Mei as expected is the most adorable daughter. Love her so much. They're finally at the village and finally have time to take a step back and think about all the plans for the elixir. A nice hot spring bath. Tensen are finally here and they're just otherwordly. Groot is a nice guy and a father figure to Mei.

A lot of interesting developments have already started to happen in the story which makes me even more excited. It's funny seeing Gabimaru trying to understand feelings. He makes Mei cry so much. LOL. But, Sagiri and Mei have already formed a bond with each other which is so cute to see. The story is just beginning. Things are gonna get intense very soon.
May 13, 2023 8:28 AM
Feb 2019
Mei is so adorable. I want her to meet my wife.
May 13, 2023 8:58 AM
Nov 2020
you can mix with gender this is too f.... up
May 13, 2023 9:01 AM

Jul 2017
The women twins aside, Gabimaru and Sagiri have spotted someone else: a young girl that looks onwards being a child with its bonsai-like monster, and leaving it to Yuzuriha and Senta to deal with it while Gabimaru and Sagiri go after her, with her insane strength that adds to the mystery of the island. Not wanting to threaten her, he uses some tree vines to tie her up, and she starts bawling for Sagiri to comfort her. In exchange, the bonsai-like monster exchanging the young girl's pardoned life for information about the Elixir of Life, and it takes a bath to clear Yuzuriha's mind to go towards the village, which more than othing, is a ghost town that has been uninhabited for 1000 years. All that Yuzuriha ever cared for is the bath, which Sagiri also took a dip. While the bonsai monster's relation to the young girl is confidential, there's abundant food that both Gabimaru and Sagiri are cautious of, and its version of Shinsenkyo is a rather different version of what they've heard from the outside.

The Elixir of Life, called Tan by the monster, is hidden in the inner region of Horai, where they are now at in the middle at Hojo, getting there will be a dangerous approach, as the protectors: immortal and beautiful Tensen are virtually undefeatable after the Soshin. Eventually, everyone will die on the island by the Tensen, the most important beings on the island who catches humans and turns them into flowers. That's how the legend spoke of humans who survive and come back being flowers, and despite Hoko having a taste of Tan to be able to regenerate and living with the young girl Mei for centuries, escaping it is a whole other story,

To Gabimaru, bathing etiquette is non-existent, and while Sagiri takes care of Mei, she does not forget to make sure that Gabimaru is in good shape also. The compaint that Gabimaru moves too fast for his own good to not take rest, the criticism also came from his wife, though her words come like a blessing despite him hating baths. The scar on his wife's face may be unpleasant, and yet she chooses to do so because of him, and the advice from him to Mei, it's virtually the same respectable trait.

No more chit-chatting, onwards to what is priority.
May 13, 2023 9:03 AM

Nov 2019
My man Gabimaru is faithful till the end of time. Didn't even falter in the face of Yuzuhira's rather interesting invitation.

Making Mei cry was not very cool of him, but he redeemed himself in the end. And seems like they are on good terms now

May 13, 2023 9:06 AM

Feb 2021
I still wonder why Mei can't talk but Hoko can...
May 13, 2023 9:06 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The question was always gonna be whether thoese that live on the island are humans or not. For a child the girl sure packed quite the punch. Even Sagiri usn't immune to the calming effects of the bath it seems. So thats what happened to the bodies of the slain. As much as her guardian cares about her Mei doesn't have a parent that can teach her things that he doesn't know. So it was nice seeing Sagiri help her here. Gabi's wife really is the perfect contrast for him. Overall a pretty fun ep that did well to both exoand upon the island and its inhabitants but also allow the team to chill and gather their thoughts on the new developments.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2023 9:11 AM
Sep 2021
We get a lot of info on shinsenkyo and the elixir and the gods who live in this island and gabimaru has made his decision even more firm to get the elixir and have a normal life with his wife.
May 13, 2023 9:17 AM

Mar 2020
Still not a fan of the info dumping in this show, but I will say that this was a better showing than previous episodes because we got to see the softer side of the characters, rather than the constant edginess and toughness. We also got introduced to Groot Hoko and Mei, and I liked Mei's quick bonding with Sagiri, it was quite wholesome.

Nice times can't last though, no more idle chatter it seems as the intensity should go up to a boiling point.
May 13, 2023 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
taoism so yin and yang and that is why the tensen can be both female and male or bisexual eh

this tensen holds the key to immortality for sure with their tan that comes from the life energy of humans
May 13, 2023 9:24 AM

Oct 2022
Massive info dump and next episodes the action will play the biggest role in the show

May 13, 2023 9:28 AM

Oct 2017
We finally learned more about the island. It's a really interesting place. The little kid is cute, must protect. We got some good bathing fanservice too, appreciate it.
May 13, 2023 9:33 AM

Oct 2022
Damn, that punch by that little girl was lethal but other than the Tensen and the villages introduction, everything just felt slow.

Hope that show is about to come back on track in the next episode.

And don't tell me that yellow haired guy just died, I thought he was going to be on the level similar to Gabimaru.
May 13, 2023 9:34 AM
Sep 2015
Since the elixir is called Tan, the gender of the elixir consumer should be called Tangender.
May 13, 2023 9:38 AM
Nov 2020
phantomfandom said:
Since the elixir is called Tan, the gender of the elixir consumer should be called Tang
haha very funny - sagiri
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

May 13, 2023 9:40 AM

Feb 2021
Are the brothers dead? Won't be that surprising at this point tbh, but I hope they are not.
Also damn, we're already halfway though the season
May 13, 2023 9:40 AM

Apr 2020
I swear, Gabimaru and Yui are the best couple on anime.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
May 13, 2023 9:44 AM
Oct 2016
The big world of this island is opening up to us. Gabimaru, Sagiri, Yuzuriha, and Senta just got a big lesson in how the island operates. This big tree monster man laid out many details answering a lot of questions for the main group. Notably that the elixir of life is inside the inner most portion of the island. So they can stop wasting time looking in the woods or village and just head inland. Tree monster man explaining that yeah the elixir of life is very real, there's immortal beings on the island called the Tensen, and they mean business. They're the ones whom sent the giant monsters towards anyone trying to invade from the beaches. They're the ones whom sent back those boats of people with flowers in their corpses. Touma and Chobei got a firsthand experience with two of the Tensen and being dispatched very quickly. Even stronger than the giant monsters the criminals and samurai had faced so far. Very cute scene with everyone getting a nice bath at the village. Sagiri and Yuzuriha relaxing first with some funny moments. Gabimaru reassuring the little girl that scars don't make someone ugly was nice and I liked the moment of him remembering saying that to his wife. Reinforcing what Gabimaru initial mission is to get that elixir and get home to her.
May 13, 2023 9:44 AM

Dec 2020
Well we see a girl with pink hair and a this tree that they live in a village and have a bath aslo nice to see sagiri is relaxing for one moment.
Well with these enemies who are can’t die and are very strong.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

May 13, 2023 9:51 AM
Feb 2023
AcD4c said:
I swear, Gabimaru and Yui are the best couple on anime.

For sure and Mei would be the cutest daughter
May 13, 2023 9:54 AM
Feb 2023
Now the real plot has began, mei appears and everything wich will happen now is just crazy and so god damn intelligent
May 13, 2023 10:01 AM
Nov 2014
Omg, this show introduced girls with colored eyelashes. I love that art style. So kawaiii
May 13, 2023 10:02 AM
Mar 2023
one of the best episode which contains all the details about the island and about the elixir of life they also get to know that elixir of life really exist and obviously the girl mei was too good
May 13, 2023 10:08 AM

Jun 2014
Yuzuriha. That is all 😩

Anyway, a slower episode this week as our group encounters inhabitants of the island. Thankfully they aren't enemies, and some questions and mysteries have been explained. We did get some brief action seeing the brothers against the Tensen, but they obviously stood no chance.

They're rearranging some of the manga's events, if this episode played out how I expected it to, it should have been more action-packed. This is better imo, because having the bathing part with Gabi/Sagiri/Mei occur right after an intense fight would be kind of jarring. Makes sense to skip over the action, do the bathing part now, then backtrack next episode. 

Embient said:
Are the brothers dead? Won't be that surprising at this point tbh, but I hope they are not.
Urahara_Benihime said:
And don't tell me that yellow haired guy just died, I thought he was going to be on the level similar to Gabimaru.
Minor spoiler ahead if you want an answer right away:
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

May 13, 2023 10:20 AM

Mar 2021
Suddenly we have named enemies, a named place to go to and a general direction, and everything feels so much clearer and more engaging. Excited to see more from the Tensen. Really hoping we don't lose Chobei here though. He is so fun.
May 13, 2023 10:30 AM
May 2022
His wife is the best she is the cutest hope ther gonna get kids 🥰🥰😍
May 13, 2023 10:49 AM
May 2021
Gabimaru is such a wholesome character!!
May 13, 2023 10:55 AM
Mar 2023
pretty good, kinda uneventful
May 13, 2023 11:16 AM

May 2015
Groot can talk!! Good for him!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 13, 2023 11:17 AM
Aug 2022
was a wholesome but interestingly scary at times episode.
May 13, 2023 11:23 AM
Jun 2022
I hate it. It's just not for me. Too edgy for no reason, just can't catch my interest.
Or so I thought until last week! Hell yes I'm in for the hot immortal greek goddesses, of course!
Than it took it away from me. And I hate it. But I'll be back next week, because they will be back too, right?
May 13, 2023 11:40 AM

Aug 2017
So much of the island's lore is revealed by Hoko, the tree branch creature.  What Gabimaru and Sagiri are looking for is the tan which is the source of elixir of life.
It's inside the central layer of the Horai. But of course, there are obstacles in the way.

Hoko gave me chills when it said that the Tensen will kill all the humans that trespass the island. Hoko made it seem like the Tensen are savages. What makes the tensen dangerous is that they can regenerate making them unkillable. One of the Tensen absolutely obliterated the brothers.

The bath scene with Mei, Sagiri, and Gabimaru was wholesome. Sagiri made for a great bath host. I love scene of Gabimaru's past memory telling his wife that she shouldn't style her hair to hide her scar because she is beautiful. Then makes a similar comment to Mei's scars which made Sagiri flabbergasted haha.

May 13, 2023 11:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I want Sagiri to wash my back after this episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 13, 2023 11:45 AM
Aug 2018
I can't stand Gabimaru annoying ass lol, he's so emo

Also I don't like how this show does exposition, having Gabimaru make a recap-chatting to Sagiri about what had just being explained to us about the island felt so unnatural, that scene in specific reminded me that a lot of times these characters feel so shallow and the author couldn't do any better than info dump our asses instead of portray real character interactions

I feel like this anime has a lot of this moments.

Even when the characters are having moments of genuine bond it always goes back to exposition to justify their reasoning and why they are the way they are. I'm not a fan of this type of storytelling, it feels so forced and lazy, like.. what happened to the "show, don't tell" concept ??

Gabimaru is the embodiment of that in this series (on top of being an edgelord), his whole character is just so boring and he doesn't feel real most of the time because the author is always using him in an unnatural and abrupt way to move the plot forward

10 seconds ago I'm gonna make you take a bath and relax so I can have some character interactions, 2 seconds later I'm gonna make you expose to the audience that you finally remember why you are here and what's your priority (despite the fact that you're saying ALL THE TIME how much you want to go back to your wife, so how could you ever forget that?) so the story can move forward
KintamamanMay 13, 2023 11:52 AM
May 13, 2023 11:45 AM

Nov 2013
Is Gabimaru about to RUN? What's with the angry face at the end?

Brothers got oofed.

So girl's 1000+ years old. But still childish? She looks familiar to the pink-hair woman from the OP. Her mom/relative maybe?

Good episode. Don't answer my questions please, I'll wait. 
May 13, 2023 11:51 AM
Jun 2021
Is Groot played by the same voice actor as Brook from One Piece?! If so then that’s an absolute dub!
May 13, 2023 11:54 AM
May 2023
Eu não li o manga, mas a história está indo para caminho que estou gostando
May 13, 2023 12:04 PM
Apr 2023
Wait wait wait... This comes from a manga?!!!!
May 13, 2023 12:09 PM

Mar 2023
Sagiri makes for a good maternal figure.
May 13, 2023 12:16 PM
Mar 2023
Gabimaru and his wife's moment was very touching. The best episode so far
May 13, 2023 12:24 PM
Apr 2023
RissieAiko said:
Wait wait wait... This comes from a manga?!!!!

um, yes it is. it literally on the description page of the mal jigokuraku. Why are you even surprised about
May 13, 2023 12:30 PM
Apr 2023
We got many fanservice in this episode, I'm not complaining tho.

also Tensen pretty weak imo (and a pervert), he just use a cheat mode so he can't die. meh....
May 13, 2023 1:11 PM
Dec 2020
Next episode will be action packed and very emotional.
May 13, 2023 1:14 PM

Jul 2022
brooo are those brothers gonna die?? i kinda thought they were here to stay they look like main characters or something.
man this author is taking introducing characters then killing them to a whole new level

anyway epic episode as always
May 13, 2023 1:18 PM
Apr 2023
gabimaru esta cambiando bro
May 13, 2023 1:51 PM

Dec 2018
Yuzuriha is going to fight! She's sweating cum? And that's all... Wish to see how she actually fight... Guess I'll see them soon.

Knew it that little girl from the OP scene is that island residents... And I just knew the hugging person in the OP is actually that kissing girls... Before I just thought it was a naked blond dude hugging Gabimaru XD

They actually can change gender.... Guess Mei can do that too then ..

May 13, 2023 2:09 PM

Jan 2022
Wow, Mei is a useful Sakura. Made awesome
May 13, 2023 2:13 PM
Oct 2022
i think that anime its so mid but ist interesting
May 13, 2023 2:29 PM

Mar 2010
We needed more fanservice, twas too brief. But this reminded me of those days where I was just battered and rested and then after felt like I had over 9000 focus.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why are the animations so bad? ( 1 2 3 )

ScrewFiction - Aug 27, 2023

119 by OvergrownRover »»
Sep 11, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

243 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 9, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

313 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

361 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2023

556 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 2:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.