Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 23, 2023 5:29 AM

Jul 2017
It's a fight of revenge to the very end, with Usui Yuen's Ribenji group vs. Shishido's Nagasaki Trade Union with all the opium above them.

One by one, enemies get routed and killed, and it's a bloodfest. The final victor in the hands of Kurima vs. Shishido, and Kurima is not afraid of killing himself in self-suicide just to make Liu's vendetta known. Usui doing the final prayers with eliminating the last of the Trade Union, only for Kurima to blast it all away with dynamite, the vendetta is fulfilled, and peace reigns back in Nagasaki...that could harm once again in the future.

With the final toss of the bitten koban coin, Usui and Co.'s work is done being Revengers themselves. Kurima under the Taishin alias of the drawings of his former wife and getting stabbed by one of the Nagasaki Trade Union's Revengers, he's back to the same old spot where Usui first found him, dying at the corner and joining his deceased wife Yui in the Heavens.

EHH, it's really mediocre...almost to the point of being bad.
KANLen09Mar 23, 2023 6:57 AM
Mar 23, 2023 6:57 AM
Sep 2021
The death of kurima was unexpected and sad.
I guess the saying " Revenge will never get you anywhere" has been proved
Mar 23, 2023 7:22 AM

Dec 2018
not a big fan of the show, but this was one hell of an ending, and i think there are a lot of lessons here that could be gleaned. it really felt rushed, i would have preferred if they split it into two and had 13 episodes, but the story overall was pretty good, i think the expository element was lacking in impact. hard to rate this one.
Mar 23, 2023 7:40 AM

Feb 2019
So raizo survives all that shit just to get taken out by a rando ? Yea that’s some bullshit that ruined the ending for me. I can’t say it’s bad writing because I told y’all last week the flags were there so it’s well written and foreshadowed, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

At least they cut that annoying ass priest in half and took out the trade Union rep. Very satisfying seeing their cocky asses get packed up.

Overall a solid show. Not great, not awful. It was different, cool historical backdrop, nice characters, some gore, mature style story etc. ending just kinda ruined it for me personally. I also think some more backstory for soji and teppa would’ve been nice
Marinate1016Mar 23, 2023 7:46 AM
Mar 23, 2023 7:50 AM
Apr 2020
Brillaint ending .
Raizo killed the other revenger gang due to liu and the revenger he spared/survived killed him in return with his own weapon . "All sinners will eventually meet suitable judgement" - yuen .
Raizo sure seemed to be at peace when he died the burden of killing people was very heavy to carry . Overall the show could've been better had they executed it well but nonetheless it was a decent watch
Mar 23, 2023 7:54 AM

Aug 2019
Revenger finally comes to a close. To be perfectly honest this ending was better than what I was expecting but also idk. I haven't really been enjoying the last few episodes that much, and this series as a whole has been very on and off for me. Something I noticed is that the first half of the episodes always seemed kinda boring to me, but the second half seemed more interesting at least to me. Which sucks but oh well I guess. This show wasn't really what I was expecting when I started watching back in January.

I think I rate it like a 7, or maybe a 6? Not sure but hey I got at least some enjoyment out of this

Edit: I will admit that Raizo dying was kind of unexpected though. I had a feeling Sute wasn't done, and he even killed him with his own blade which I guess is cool, but this show was alright overall
Mar 23, 2023 7:56 AM

Aug 2019
Marinate1016 said:
I also think some more backstory for soji and teppa would’ve been nice
That would've been awesome! Now that I think about it we really don't know anything about them huh?
Mar 23, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2010
  • The bitten coin thrown in the valley would be the one they got from the protagonist's fiancee.
  • If all the episodes had the tension like the first and the last episodes, it would have been a good show.
  • Although it's not so hardcore as that of "Mugen no Junin", the BGM is cool.
kuroneko99Mar 23, 2023 6:42 PM
Mar 23, 2023 8:09 AM

Dec 2009
As much as I appreciated the story & the artistry, I can't claim to have actually enjoyed this series very much. While there were occasional glimpses of innocence & the lighter sides of the human experience, what it mostly featured was the ugliness.

I still gave it a high rating since I thought it was well executed (pun intended). It simply wasn't my preferred cup of tea in regards to entertainment.
Mar 23, 2023 9:11 AM
Sep 2015
It's that kind of ending, where it doesn't matter if Raizo really die or not since he already consider himself dead the moment his bride suicide herself. But I still wish he was saved.
It's very rare to see a serious samurai anime, so despite all of its flaws, it's still nice to watch it. It's almost like this was made by westerners who're crazy about Japan.
Mar 23, 2023 9:14 AM

Dec 2016
For an Urobutchi title, it felt pretty mild in terms of main characters meeting their fate. Not saying it's bad, but just weirdly uncharacteristing of his writing.

Raizo's death had been foreseen all day long throughout most of the series (though specially in these last 2 episodes) and still it feels rather anticlimactic. Sure, I totally get the message of surviving all odds with heavy wounds (typical anime logic) just to be killed by the most meaningless character using his own blade in the whole thematic of living for the sake of getting rid of a grudge. Still, to me it feels unsatisfactory.

Even though I enjoyed every single episode in the series, I can't get rid of that feeling of having eaten something that just sated my hunger but didn't feel fully satisfying.
Mar 23, 2023 9:14 AM
Aug 2017
What a beautiful bittersweet conclusion.
Mar 23, 2023 9:20 AM
Aug 2017
phantomfandom said:
It's that kind of ending, where it doesn't matter if Raizo really die or not since he already consider himself dead the moment his bride suicide herself. But I still wish he was saved.
To be honest, I think his death was what made a difference between the show being a 6/10 and 8/10. If he lived and had a "new life as an artist", it would be a sickening level of Hollywood happy ending BS. Raizo dying made the whole story conclude in much more satisfying way, as in the end, he was only chasing his remorse all of the time, but that eventually happened to him was the actual justice he deserved. 
Mar 23, 2023 10:26 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The finale had some real good fights between Usui group and the Nagasiaki Trade Union that were very bloody. However in the aftermath, despite Raizo living his new life under the name Taishin met his end at the hands of another revenger causing him to die in the same place that he met Usui right when he was about to kill himself which was very ironic. This is probably my favorite original anime this season so far because the animation/art style was really good at capturing the scenery of Nagasaki, Japan not to mention it had a great soundtrack that kept me at the edge of my seat.

The Sun Always Rises in Nagasaki, Japan.

7/10
AddaeAkonoMar 23, 2023 10:40 AM
Mar 23, 2023 11:41 AM
Dec 2019
i'll take this opportunity to rant about it. the last ep was a lackluster. i agree with one of the comments saying it could have been split into two (just like that priest's body). i was also expecting some fight scenes, elaborate ones to be precise. i didn't get that and thought that it was rushed indeed. they could've shown something during the broken bridge scene rather than just him jumping off and cutting the priest down. i had mentally prepared myself for all of them to be dead. that didn't happen except i got some hope that yes, raizo is alive and then he is killed by that damn sute. it broke my heart along with the ever so sweet smile that he had. i liked the scene with yuen and raizo under the bridge. and how yuen had to follow that golden trail of fireflies and all. the bg was beautiful too. hated how they removed raizo from one part in the ed. rip, my husbando.
Mar 23, 2023 11:54 AM
Oct 2008
I was thinking 7/10 but after finale 8/10. It was art, violent and melancholic, but art.
Mar 23, 2023 2:22 PM
May 2021
I don't think I could've asked for a better ending.
Everything came full circle on this.
Mar 23, 2023 3:44 PM
Jul 2021
I didn’t like it bc of Raizo 🫤 in my point of view the only character that needs to die is Soji
Mar 23, 2023 3:44 PM

Dec 2021
A pretty good ending for a pretty good show. It wasn't the best, some episodes dragged on a lot, but the fights were really fun. Teppa is easily the most fun to watch, that harpoon landing on the sniper was fucking brutal. Would have been nice to get an actual backstory for him and Soji.
Mar 23, 2023 4:12 PM
Jun 2020
This ending was very nice

Mar 23, 2023 4:16 PM
Aug 2020
I was hoping for a better ending than that, at least a great finish, the deat at the end is clearly not a surprise…
I had great hope at the beginning with a group call Revengers…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Mar 23, 2023 4:40 PM

Apr 2016
I see a lot of people think it's bs that Raizo survived that final battle only to be killed by the kid who survived but I have a different view on it. Raizo was spending his peaceful days drawing art but from the looks of it all he could draw was his dead wife and those drawings invoked nothing but sadness and suffering. He had succeeded in destroying the opium operation which was effectively his revenge. I imagine that despite his talents as an artist once he had accomplished his goal he felt no joy from living. He was even smiling as he died. I think this is one reason why it makes sense for Raizo to die after the final battle and not during.

As for the kid that killed him I admit the show probably should have given us more information on his circumstances because he looks like a complete coward who was forced into joining the enemy group and just followed along fearing for his own life which makes this half of the equation look much weaker than why Raizo died after the battle. I only have two theories as to why it was significant for him to kill Raizo over anyone else. The first one is very simple and it's just that he wanted revenge against Raizo for almost killing him which makes sense considering his reaction when Raizo ran off after throwing a knife in his stomach. This isn't a compelling theory though because you would have thought the kid would hate his own group more for abusing him and treating him like a sacrificial pawn but ya. The other theory is despite having different circumstances perhaps this kid was supposed to be the next "Raizo" feeling guilty after killing him and then going on to enact his own revenge story. Perhaps both could be true or neither of them but that's all I could come up with considering the information we were given. 
Mar 23, 2023 4:41 PM

Nov 2011
Ending was HORRIBLE! I hate all this coming back nonsense. They did the same shit in Jouran as well. Raizo should have just blown himself up in the Opium den BUT NO HE GETS KILLED WITH HIS OWN SWORD WHEN HE THREW IT AT THAT CLOWN!

God so infuriating. 5/10
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 23, 2023 4:50 PM
Apr 2020
This ending gave me banana fish vibes, no matter how many bullets or swords our protagonist dodges in the end when everything is settle, revenge comes back and our protagonist just embraces the fate they have wielded in other's lives.
Mar 23, 2023 5:17 PM

Sep 2013
Considering just how much stuff they had to cram in this last episode, the pacing was good.
From the snow montage onward it was just a really beautiful ending, and fitting. Ofc would have still preferred it had been a 13 episode course but it worked and matched the overall vibe.

Also, the lil call out to again, how found of "cats" Nio is, how cute ;;;;
RIP Raizo and your smile, you should have had that stubble all along, highly approved.
Mar 23, 2023 5:22 PM

Apr 2022
pretty gruesome ending, i liked it for the most part. sada got split in half and damn that assassin that i forgot about was still alive. RIP raizo man, guess there'll be no season 2..
the show as a whole had a solid start but then turn average mid-way through and i liked the last episode but it's gotta be a 5/10 for me.
Mar 23, 2023 5:55 PM

Dec 2022
love it. didn't think Raizo was really going to die, thought he was going to live on as the artist and draw Yui smiling again, but no, he will see her smiling in the afterlife
Mar 23, 2023 7:01 PM
Jan 2018
This show is a 7/10. First two episodes were solid, then pretty meh till episode 5. Then, just when the show starts picking up steam it has an unsatisfactory ending. I ask myself how I could be disappointed when the MC got to die like he wished and everyone else got a happy ending.

The answer I came to is this anime is a reverse John Wick. All we want for John is him to go back to a peaceful life. Unfortunately the story so far won't let him. They build up all these reasons why his life has to be the worst and run with it. It ends up making the audience share a bit in John's suffering.

Revenger takes a different approach. The anime built a ton of reasons why Raizo should die. Not in the least, that his life is a living hell when he's awake and when he's asleep and his only freedom would be death. So we watch the show and look forward to his epic demise. While the plot basically tells us all the people we have gotten to know are headed to a violent end. Then we get a happy ending fakeout. Somehow everyone gets out unscathed and life goes back to normal. That's 2 strikes against the show right there. We the audience got cheated and used emotionally.

Then we have Raizo's death. It doesn't matter how poetic it was or how pretty the animation was.  It was a wet fart of a demise. You know, all they had to do was make his death quick and sudden without showing his killers face. He could look down at his sword, smile and pass away. A violent end for a violent man. Instead the show tries to cram ham fisted tropes like violence always circles back and the underdog always finds a way on top into the ending. While at the same time letting all these other people with deep traumas continue to live. Without any changes.

It's like being the only one person getting punished while everyone else gets off scot free. The ending just leaves a foul taste in your mouth. I can see why people dropped down their scores. I know I did.
MFDOOMEDMar 23, 2023 7:05 PM
Mar 23, 2023 7:03 PM

Dec 2015
The ending was better than I expected, they done everything so much amazing on this episode that I believed that Kurima was dead by the fight against that monk, but, this last scene caught me off guard.

Mar 23, 2023 7:13 PM
Oct 2019
I can't with Raizou battle cry everytime, it's so funny lol

Wow what an ending, just like Usui always said "all sinners will eventually meet suitable judgement"

RIP Raizou Kurima.

Honestly i kinda like this ending, even though it was a bittersweet conclusion.

Overall Decent 6/10 from me.

Well, not bad Gen Urobuchi.
Mar 23, 2023 9:25 PM
Jul 2021
Djengo said:
I see a lot of people think it's bs that Raizo survived that final battle only to be killed by the kid who survived but I have a different view on it. Raizo was spending his peaceful days drawing art but from the looks of it all he could draw was his dead wife and those drawings invoked nothing but sadness and suffering. He had succeeded in destroying the opium operation which was effectively his revenge. I imagine that despite his talents as an artist once he had accomplished his goal he felt no joy from living. He was even smiling as he died. I think this is one reason why it makes sense for Raizo to die after the final battle and not during.

As for the kid that killed him I admit the show probably should have given us more information on his circumstances because he looks like a complete coward who was forced into joining the enemy group and just followed along fearing for his own life which makes this half of the equation look much weaker than why Raizo died after the battle. I only have two theories as to why it was significant for him to kill Raizo over anyone else. The first one is very simple and it's just that he wanted revenge against Raizo for almost killing him which makes sense considering his reaction when Raizo ran off after throwing a knife in his stomach. This isn't a compelling theory though because you would have thought the kid would hate his own group more for abusing him and treating him like a sacrificial pawn but ya. The other theory is despite having different circumstances perhaps this kid was supposed to be the next "Raizo" feeling guilty after killing him and then going on to enact his own revenge story. Perhaps both could be true or neither of them but that's all I could come up with considering the information we were given. 

That is so true of what you said
Mar 23, 2023 9:45 PM

Dec 2016
Djengo said:

The problem isn't that Raizo survived just to be killed by such a mob character holding a grudge which fits thematically. It's because it's so overstretched how Raizo survived such critical wounds thru the whole fight with the monk and made it out thru that day where any other character would had died instantly. Same story goes for the kid, left alone and somehow surviving a very fatal wound with no one else to help him get out of the lighthouse island and nurse him back to health.

The whole nihilism aspect of being killed by an unexpected mob character isn't even strange, it's quite common in Yakuza themed movies (even Akiba Maid did this last season and Kite did it years ago too). The problem is how farfetched it is to exploit plot armor to it's limits that makes it hard to believe.
Mar 23, 2023 10:33 PM
Jul 2020
Best episode in the whole series. The show itself was pretty eh but this ending was really well done
Mar 23, 2023 11:50 PM
Jun 2021
Raizo finally died though i would have preferred as him making art as Taishin. The last ep was alright the part where Raizo kills the priest was cool and also the death scene of the general opium guy or whatever his head just blasted. Overall though i was not a huge fan of the anime and i  feel they could have done a lot more with it if it had more episodes, still i liked watching it weekly.
Mar 24, 2023 12:16 AM
Jul 2022
this is underrated nobody is talking about it. such a good show
Mar 24, 2023 12:32 AM

Dec 2021
The Ending felt like those easy boss battles in video games I used to play on NES, Sega Genesis and Gameboy when I was a child
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Mar 24, 2023 5:11 AM

Sep 2017
Well, seen an ending like that a few times and even that was a rather similar ending to another one of Urobuchi's shows,
except worse and much more poorly executed. A very mediocre series overall, rather disappointing but was entertaining enough at least.
Mar 24, 2023 1:18 PM

Mar 2022
Unfortunately, this was missed opportunity. Shame really...
Mar 24, 2023 4:19 PM
Oct 2020
Flawed for sure and definitely could've been better but I still enjoyed it so 7/10
Mar 24, 2023 10:39 PM

Sep 2021
This show really had it's ups and downs. The main story started way too late, but it was pretty decent. The final battle was interesting for sure. Although the random tiger and water walking were a bit too edgy for my taste... 

Raizo's implied death wasn't my kind of ending though. Although he isn't confirmed dead (as Yuen potentially found him only a few minutes later), the sucessful art career ending was good enough. 

Overall, I'm happy I did not drop it (as I was about to). I'd say the worst of the "good" shows I've seen this season. 6/10
Mar 25, 2023 7:17 AM

Nov 2015
great ending, enjoyed it a lot
raizo death was sooo sad but he was able to fin peace at the end

not sure why there's a lot upset about the ending, lmao definitely goes with the idea of revenge

younger brothers of the death painting wombs,
lend me your strength!! fire!!
like Esou... I must fight with grace!
like Kechizu... I must fight freely!!
and like Yuji... I must fight with power!!!

deliveries ⋆ collection ⋆ reverie sonata
amazing set by ec secret snowman < 333
Mar 25, 2023 9:50 PM

Apr 2008
Having trouble articulating what exactly this show was missing. There were some good elements here. I think I'll echo the comments of style over substance, and on a deep level. Raizo has all the appearance of a deep character with his regret and tragic end, but there's so little person behind it to make the emotion real. The characters all have inventive looking abilities, but the combat is so lightly touched. Not a terrible show, but not satisfying.
Mar 26, 2023 12:45 AM

Oct 2022
It was amazing with the concept of combining the western and eastern cultures, when Raizo was stabbed it made me sad a bit, but the smile redeems it all, at last he was accepting himself. Overall this anime is the most underrated anime this season in my opinion. 
Mar 27, 2023 11:13 AM

Oct 2008
oh no! NO!!! not our badass Samurai! damn! he really wants to be with Yui once and for all...so sad! REBENJIYA!
5/5.
7/10.

Mar 27, 2023 4:19 PM
Jul 2021
Bolillo99 said:
This ending gave me banana fish vibes, no matter how many bullets or swords our protagonist dodges in the end when everything is settle, revenge comes back and our protagonist just embraces the fate they have wielded in other's lives.

About when you said the ending gave you Banana Fish, it does felt like it ended almost like banana fish
Mar 28, 2023 8:33 AM
Jan 2020
urobutcher at his finest
Mar 29, 2023 10:36 AM

Feb 2022
The ending delivered it very well.

Such a unique original anime completely differs from the norm.
Mar 29, 2023 3:55 PM

Dec 2016
It was ok. I thought in the final fight our revenger group would have a tough time but it ended pretty quickly.

I thought Raizo would either die in the opium fire or live as tenshin. Didn't expect that Banana fish type of ending.

7/10
I would've rated it 6.5.
Apr 1, 2023 5:18 PM
Oct 2021
Me gusto el final que le dieron, se noto el dolor de el y cuando lo matan el se siente satisfecho debido a que logro vengar a su amada esposa
Apr 5, 2023 9:30 PM
Oct 2019
Guess there's no season 2 haha
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Beautiful artwork

Naveen6662246 - Apr 27

4 by Kreshre »»
Apr 28, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 16, 2023

33 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 20, 2023 4:26 AM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 4 Discussion

kuroneko99 - Jan 26, 2023

32 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 18, 2023 1:53 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2023

109 by AkiFosu »»
Aug 17, 2023 5:03 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 16, 2023

14 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 29, 2023 12:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.