Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2019 6:16 AM

Jan 2018
https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2019/02/15/the-live-action-movie-of-your-name-is-no-longer-set-in-japan/#54a531f5e7c0

YEAAA CHICAGO !! THE PLACE WHERE KANYE WEST WAS BORN!! KANYE FOR THE SOUNDTRACK CUZ HOLLYWOOD DEFINITELY AINT RACIST AMIRITE OR WHAT????

Seriously, this aint lookin good but I could be wrong... Alita Battle Angel was pretty decent but I think that was because James Cameron really loved the source material... this film looks like it aint got that much of passion from the filmmakers, but heyy.. could be wrong... and the director is the one that did '500 Days of Summer', which is one of my fav romance movies...

Sooo... hope for the best?
Dave_AdrianFeb 17, 2019 6:25 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 17, 2019 6:22 AM
May 2015
"According to Deadline, the setting has been moved to the U.S. and is based around a young Native American woman living in a rural area and a young man from Chicago who swap bodies, as per the original anime movie."

Native American mythology? Sounds okay I guess.
Feb 17, 2019 6:28 AM

May 2017
99% certain it's gonna be trash. Well, not like it should affect fans of the movie...this doesn't erase the existence of the original.

Gotta say tho, when I found out they're actually replacing the Miyamizu stuff with some Native American thing, I couldn't stop laughing for a while. I kinda predicted it as a joke, but I had no idea they'd actually do it.
Feb 17, 2019 6:31 AM

Jan 2018
Haneken2086 said:
"According to Deadline, the setting has been moved to the U.S. and is based around a young Native American woman living in a rural area and a young man from Chicago who swap bodies, as per the original anime movie."

That's another part that I'm concerned about... Hollywood doesn't have the best history adapting Native American culture, the only good movie that I could think of that respects Native Americans is Wind River.. which has a subplot about Native Americans being sidelined/forgotten/marginalized by their own country...

Feb 17, 2019 6:44 AM

May 2016
I hope this movie makes a shit ton of movie.
Feb 17, 2019 6:46 AM

Jan 2018
Skana said:
We should wait for the first teaser to go out before we throw it away. Maybe it's really good.

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst"
-me

Feb 17, 2019 6:47 AM

Jul 2012
I just saw in ANN this:
"Heisserer (NOT the director, but the screenwriter) earlier stated that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material. "They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint.""

So, there is a reason to the change and I guess that can be interesting. I feel they can't make it worse than Death Note and Dragon Ball Evolution, but again, who knows lol
taynisFeb 17, 2019 7:00 AM

Feb 17, 2019 6:51 AM

Jan 2018
taynis said:
I just saw in ANN this:
"Heisserer (the director) earlier stated that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material. "They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint.""

So, there is a reason to the change and I guess that can be interesting. I feel they can't make it worse than Death Note and Dragon Ball Evolution, but again, who knows lol

Heisserer is actually the screenwriter (stupid ANN). He wrote "Arrival" (yayy) and "Bird Box" (jesus fuck nooo)

Feb 17, 2019 7:02 AM

Jul 2012
@Dave_Adrian
Oooh, okay. I fixed lol
Yeah, "arrival" was interesting but Bird Box...the memes were good, if that counts as something hahaha

Feb 17, 2019 7:05 AM

Jul 2015
Haneken2086 said:

I'd highly approve of them becoming the next Turok and hunting dinosaurs for 90 mins. It could only be more entertaining than the source material hehehe
Feb 17, 2019 7:20 AM

Sep 2016

Life action adaptations shouldn't even be necessary if there's already a proper Anime adaptation.
Meh... I guess animephobia is still too strong and film producers gonna exploit that.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 17, 2019 7:24 AM
Really surprised this isn't an Onion headline lol
This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while
Feb 17, 2019 7:27 AM
Jul 2016
That’s where I was born! I don’t have much faith in this movie, but still happy that it’s based in my hometown!
Feb 17, 2019 7:28 AM

Jan 2018
Zarutaku said:

Life action adaptations shouldn't even be necessary if there's already a proper Anime adaptation.
Meh... I guess animephobia is still too strong and film producers gonna exploit that.

Yoo bruv.. what's animephobia? Afraid of Anime?

Feb 17, 2019 7:42 AM

May 2016
I had read earlier the Japanese rights holders wanted a western take and i was a bit skeptical at first. But now hearing what the premise in America is, I can't help but be intrigued. Hope this movie does well.

Feb 17, 2019 7:43 AM
May 2016
this is going to be awful, regardless of setting or race of the characters. the live action adaptation hate train is just an echo chamber, but it is that way for a reason, and this in particular i cannot see translating well to live action
Feb 17, 2019 7:49 AM

Sep 2016
Dave_Adrian said:
Zarutaku said:

It's more of an alteration of the word homophobia describing people who have a negative attitude towards anime in general.
A friend of mine is kinda like that, he once suggested watching Death Note (2017) and I told him that there's also an anime which is much better but he said he doesn't watch stuff like that.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 17, 2019 7:50 AM

Jul 2015
It's that city, with highest crime rate in Murica'?

Feb 17, 2019 7:55 AM

Jan 2018
Piromysl said:

Isn't that Detroit?? Or is it Compton?

Feb 17, 2019 7:56 AM

Jan 2017
Dave_Adrian said:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2019/02/15/the-live-action-movie-of-your-name-is-no-longer-set-in-japan/#54a531f5e7c0

YEAAA CHICAGO !! THE PLACE WHERE KANYE WEST WAS BORN!! KANYE FOR THE SOUNDTRACK CUZ HOLLYWOOD DEFINITELY AINT RACIST AMIRITE OR WHAT????

Seriously, this aint lookin good but I could be wrong... Alita Battle Angel was pretty decent but I think that was because James Cameron really loved the source material... this film looks like it aint got that much of passion from the filmmakers, but heyy.. could be wrong... and the director is the one that did '500 Days of Summer', which is one of my fav romance movies...

FUCK YYYEAAHHHH THIS ADAPTATION WILL BEEEEEE A MASTTTERRPPIIIEEEEEECCCEEEEEEEEEEEE
you're cool
Feb 17, 2019 7:59 AM

Jan 2018
Zarutaku said:
Dave_Adrian said:

It's more of an alteration of the word homophobia describing people who have a negative attitude towards anime in general.
A friend of mine is kinda like that, he once suggested watching Death Note (2017) and I told him that there's also an anime which is much better but he said he doesn't watch stuff like that.

Yeaaa, I got wut you sayin. But that's why I want great Live action adaptations of Anime to happen, so that people stop having 'Animephobia'. Just like when people used to think that things like Star Wars and Marvel were for 'fucking dweebs'

Feb 17, 2019 8:00 AM

Apr 2014
hah, this will be a hit all right

Piromysl said:

according the crime index they are ranked 7th in the us
Feb 17, 2019 8:01 AM

Apr 2018
Dave_Adrian said:

No. It's fear of animals, duh...

30 characters.
Feb 17, 2019 8:27 AM

Jan 2018
Stygian_Prisoner said:
Dave_Adrian said:

No. It's fear of animals, duh...

30 characters.

welp... that means I'm 'Animephobic' alright...

Feb 17, 2019 8:33 AM

Jul 2015
Piromysl said:

Welcome in 2019, mister prohibition-era :p
Feb 17, 2019 11:51 AM

Sep 2018
Radwimps was the only good thing about the show and they probably aren't gonna include that. Who the fuck is gonna watch this shit.
Feb 17, 2019 11:55 AM

Dec 2018
Basically like you say, I’m going to expect it to be trash but if it’s good that’s nice.

Should be better than the DBZ live action at the very least....
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 17, 2019 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
There has yet to be a decent live anime adaption, i couldn't care less. Only the Death Note one on netflix was ok. No idea why people care if they change stuff if its going to be horrible no matter what.
Feb 17, 2019 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
If this movie has a higher budget they can make it so chicago is the one that gets hit by the comet while the second part of the movie is actually a time traveling armageddon ^^

Eh i will be honest maybe is because i wasnt a big fan of the original movie, but i am not agains this change. Maybe if the original movie had explained the "ancient spirits" better and that had strong ties with the japanese lore i could see how changing the scenery would be detrimental, but how it stands this to me doesnt seem like really that important. I am sure it still gonna be a flop, but definitely doesn't think is gonna be because of this.
Feb 17, 2019 5:12 PM

May 2014
Crossbones said:
99% certain it's gonna be trash. Well, not like it should affect fans of the movie...this doesn't erase the existence of the original.

Gotta say tho, when I found out they're actually replacing the Miyamizu stuff with some Native American thing, I couldn't stop laughing for a while. I kinda predicted it as a joke, but I had no idea they'd actually do it.

I get the feeling it's gonna add some shoehorned message about diversity to appeal to a larger audience
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Feb 17, 2019 5:16 PM

Jan 2019
Native American Mythology?
Ah, I really have a bad feeling about this.
Feb 17, 2019 8:23 PM

Jan 2018
SeidouTZ said:
If this movie has a higher budget they can make it so chicago is the one that gets hit by the comet while the second part of the movie is actually a time traveling armageddon ^^

Eh i will be honest maybe is because i wasnt a big fan of the original movie, but i am not agains this change. Maybe if the original movie had explained the "ancient spirits" better and that had strong ties with the japanese lore i could see how changing the scenery would be detrimental, but how it stands this to me doesnt seem like really that important. I am sure it still gonna be a flop, but definitely doesn't think is gonna be because of this.

Ooo shit I forgot about the meteor...
Your Name definitely lacks expotition about the time traveling aspect.
Will it be a flop? Cant say cuz Alita was predicted to be a flop, but it got huge numbers at the box office

Feb 17, 2019 8:36 PM

Aug 2018
Dave_Adrian said:

I haven't seen 'Your Name' yet, but since it's indeed the guy that did '500 Days of Summer' I might give this a go aswell I guess.

But let's be honest: '500 Days' is not really a romance movie. Sure, it's a boy meets girl story, but not a love story. :-P
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Feb 17, 2019 8:58 PM

Aug 2013
Yeaaaaah, sounds bad. Just another american exercise on narcissism plus some artificial diversity throw in to appease terrible reviewers.
Feb 17, 2019 9:42 PM

Jan 2018
Timz0r said:
Dave_Adrian said:

I haven't seen 'Your Name' yet, but since it's indeed the guy that did '500 Days of Summer' I might give this a go aswell I guess.

But let's be honest: '500 Days' is not really a romance movie. Sure, it's a boy meets girl story, but not a love story. :-P

Its not a love story, but its a story about love.... that didnt come out right...

Feb 17, 2019 10:06 PM

Jan 2018
AnimePixelz said:
oh no is this a live action? no no no. we've seen what deathnote live action has done, and a few others. i just pray they dont fuck up a masterpiece anime movie, or else someone's gonna get rekted by me !!

Well... Hollywood just made Alita Battle Angel, which was pretty good for an anime adaptation, probably the best anime/manga adaptation since Edge of Tomorrow (even tho I can't really call that movie a proper adaptation)

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst." -me

Feb 17, 2019 10:13 PM

Oct 2008
I think that sounds kind of interesting since a live action with the same setting as the anime movie would just be repeating the movie. It's kind of different going from something that's already a movie to live action than a long running series to a live action movie where they have to cut a lot of things out. I hope it turns out okay.
Feb 17, 2019 11:46 PM

May 2009
Feb 18, 2019 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
My first reaction when I heard about this movie was a mix of POCAHONTAS + YOUR NAME

Your name depends a lot on it's animation and direction because it has some big weakness that are exposed when the beautiful animation and soundtrack disappear, (you can read the manga to have a better understanding of this and see that both experiences are way different) of course the script can be done better for this adaptation, but still if the theme is the same I think will be a weak film as those american adaptation usually are.
LePiratePapiFeb 18, 2019 12:36 AM
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Feb 18, 2019 2:45 AM

Jan 2017
I'm okay with the US theme to it but please do not call it "your name" They need to call it something else and just say it was inspired by "your name"

Changing the entire location and trying to appropriate it to the US while still calling it "your name" is blatant westernization, and there is inherently no other reason other than to profit more from mainstream viewers.
Feb 18, 2019 3:48 AM

May 2017
DarkSyndicate said:
Crossbones said:

I get the feeling it's gonna add some shoehorned message about diversity to appeal to a larger audience
This is a Hollywood production, so yeah.
Feb 18, 2019 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
Dave_Adrian said:
SeidouTZ said:

Ooo shit I forgot about the meteor...
Your Name definitely lacks expotition about the time traveling aspect.
Will it be a flop? Cant say cuz Alita was predicted to be a flop, but it got huge numbers at the box office

With James Cameron in the screenplay and the director saying how passion he is about the original series i think the movie had lesser chances of being a flop when comparing to something like Ghost in the Shell for example.
When it comes to Your Name however, i think it is almost a guaranteed flop.. i mean if it wasnt for 1)the visuals and 2)the fact that was directed by Makoto Shinkai (same guy that directed "5 Centimeters Per Second") i would probably not even bother watching the original film, so i question how the hell will they market this live-action? Maybe they will try make it a western romance/drama mainly target to old adult and mid-age woman, but unless the cinematography is great i doubt there will be much that grabs the fans of the original to go see this on movie theaters.
Feb 18, 2019 2:58 PM

Jul 2013
This honestly sonds like a disaster in the making but Im curious to see where it will go.
Feb 18, 2019 3:09 PM

Jan 2019
SeidouTZ said:
comparing to something like Ghost in the Shell for example.

Maybe Scarlett Johansson will embarrass us again. Great. Just... awesome.
Feb 18, 2019 7:16 PM

Apr 2011
Anime to live-action adaptations, much like game to anime adaptations, are generally shit. This one isn't gonna be any different. The sad part is, there are plenty of manga /anime that Hollywood could adapt and probably make better. Psycho-Pass, for example, would make for an incredible sci-fi thriller and is the exact right fit for Hollywood.
Feb 18, 2019 9:32 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
As long as some bloods and crips bang it out and someone gets shot in the head it should be good. If this doesn't happen then it ain't Chiraq.
Feb 19, 2019 3:42 AM

Feb 2019
This will certainly be terrible, but the source material was a pile of junk anyways so it's not that big of a deal.
Feb 19, 2019 8:35 AM

Mar 2014
HEYA HOYA HEYA HOYA WHY THE FUCK AM I A NI🅱️🅱️A.

Oh shit dawg fuck mayn I'm a fuckin native dawg fuck mayn. *Does the Crip walk*
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Feb 19, 2019 9:09 AM

Jan 2018
Sawilagar said:
HEYA HOYA HEYA HOYA WHY THE FUCK AM I A NI🅱️🅱️A.

Oh shit dawg fuck mayn I'm a fuckin native dawg fuck mayn. *Does the Crip walk*

That how people in Chicago sound like huuh...

Feb 19, 2019 7:31 PM

Jun 2015
the original was garbage and over rated, the dumb girl movie was far superior. lets hope they dont make a hollylive acton of that, btw native american? like how johnny depp played one
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7956 by juanlqr »»
46 minutes ago

» Favorite song from anime that you haven't watch

m_alhafidz - Jun 22

7 by Zettaiken »»
60 minutes ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3558 by dreamingneon »»
1 hour ago

» AV

GinIonSui - Jun 23

3 by Zettaiken »»
1 hour ago

» who is the luckier musician: Ringo Starr vs Richard Carpenter?

vasipi4946 - Jun 22

3 by KitsuFrost »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.