Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2018 3:43 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Pokemon: the Power of Us - 6/10 (fine)

Just back from a Fathom event showing of it at my local AMC (didn't want to drive to Harkins). Another enjoyable Pokemon film, with all of the funny moments, wacky characters, cringe moments, narmy moments ("We'll use Pokemon power!"), hamfisted space whale aesops, and FUN that you'd expect of a Pokemon movie. Aside from Ash and TRio, the rest of the small cast consists of new characters who are actually interesting. The movie got me invested in them within only a few seconds of their first appearance. I can't think of a weak link character wise, only the usual troubles that the Pokemon narratives have trying to tie in character arcs to the themes of the movie ("our time together made me learn so much" -> barely had two minutes of screentime together). It also avoids the stereotypical TV series-to-movie cliche of introducing a villain for the heroes to fight or some cliche save the world journey. It's not on the same level as Spell of the Unknown but it's definitely one of the better Pokemon movies. Definitely not for everyone, but if you're like me and enjoy Pokemon movies, I'd recommend it. Dub is solid and has several funny moments (LOL Sudawudo and Callahan indeed!).

Fridge logic:

They also showed two Pokemon: Generations shorts before the movie began. I'm not sure if it's different for each showing, but the two we got was the Lance short (which was COOL) and the Burned tower short (which was totally meh). The Lance short (Lake of Rage) looked great on the big screen, and made me realize that there was more character animation there than I remembered. Lance's cape is cool!
Dec 1, 2018 6:02 PM

Mar 2014
Decent movie, but ohgod the horrible CGI on those background characters was so distracting.

Too bad everyone left the theater when the credits rolled. That post-credit scene got me good
Dec 2, 2018 7:57 AM
Aug 2018
Man, this was a pretty solid pokemon movie. Animation and setting were great, battles were fun, and the narrative style of this movie was a welcome change. Stylistically it revolved around internal conflicts rather than an existential threat posed by one single villain/entity. The only real "sin" was that since it focused on ~6 different characters' conflicts it needed screen to develop these characters. Pacing wasn't a problem per se, but man this movie had to keep it moving in order to accomplish that feat. As a result, Ash became more of a supporting character who seemed to "steal the spotlight" in critical moments so-to-speak. Really fun movie all around though--my friend and I had a blast seeing it in theaters.
Dec 2, 2018 1:18 PM

Nov 2012
Much better than I Choose You
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 16, 2018 10:33 AM

Jun 2013
Decent Pokemon movie. Didn't really expect much after I Choose You but this was a good time killer at least and the supporting characters were fun.
Dec 16, 2018 3:28 PM

May 2013
i don't know, but the supporting character (espec. callahan) is more interesting than satoshi.
hope he reconciliation with his niece.

first event of festival that catch pokemon also fun. loved this movie
megmicaDec 16, 2018 3:39 PM
Dec 17, 2018 12:44 PM

Jul 2012
Man its powerful how much simplicity can help bring out the best in a show. I've probably never watched a Pokemon movie with less "plot", yet never been as engaged.
Jan 4, 2019 8:26 PM

May 2018
So, huh.
This was actually really good! I really enjoyed this pokemon movie, I liked all the characters.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 5, 2019 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
This was so good! And it was gorgeous too, there was a lot of CGI, but it blended really well, and it wasn't ugly to look at. The story was pretty good too, I loved how it really was a tale of everyone. Zeraora and Lugia were great as the Mythical/Legendary Pokémon too. Torito might be my favorite from the protagonists, but Lisa, all of them actually, were great too!
Jan 8, 2019 8:28 AM

Apr 2015
That Lisa girl looks a lot like Jesse tho... with different hair and outfit. Lmao

Zeaora is cool pokemon. I see a lot of Gen 2 Pokemon except Lurantis and Blissey (i might miss the other) but hey it's good Movie.

Seems the next movie about mewtwo. Looks interesting.
Jan 9, 2019 10:13 AM

Oct 2013
A solid pokemon movie! Good narrative and animation! It's so different but I'm so cool with.
Feb 18, 2019 4:53 AM

May 2016
Holy shit. This is an actually really great Pokemon movie. Like it can stand on it's own merit just fine; it doesn't have to rely on the usual fan service or just being cute or ""cool"". And now it's by far my favourite out of all of them, I loved this so much.. It's very well written and doesn't try for the epic or grandiose in plot, but relatively simple and grounded (again- relatively-) (although narrative-wise it's admittedly much more complicated); and as a result it's also really well paced. And not pushing Satoshi right to the forefront all the time and following the usual Chosen One shtick was a really nice surprise too. I loved the art design for this, I loved all the characters and especially their designs, and man was it peak cute. I really haven't got much bad to say about this at all. Good job staff! And what a promising new director! To centre around so many characters, each with their own backstory and troubles-- and have them be both very lovable and interweave their stories to reach the conclusion in such an enjoyable and seamless way is no easy task for this short a film. I don't know what to say here other than the concept of "Our Story" worked. They executed it really well. One scene that really stood out to me was that smooth as fuck opening sequence where they were all walking through the market and we got those seamless opening scenes for each as they entered our frame in different ways. Aah I hope to see more from Yajima, he just reignited my enthusiasm for the Pokemon anime completely. I think it was also a good move from them to separate these films from the show.

8/10 or 9/10, can't fully decide yet. I'm struggling to see how it's comparatively rated so low here on MAL.

ZaugrFeb 18, 2019 5:27 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2019 9:55 PM

Dec 2016
Man that looked good
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 24, 2019 10:34 PM

Jan 2013
this one has gotta be the prettiest looking pokemon movie i've seen.
Sudowoodo is the low key star and my favorite of the whole thing.
only thing i dont like is :1) how Zeraora was quickly made to look like a geek seconds into his first appearance. 2) they could steer way from the very overused Pokemon Movie trope of someone or pokemon getting killed or on the verge of death at least once even if it was in a flashback to help explain one character
speaking of character, i was inclined to believe (before that flashback) May would've become Harriet when she gets older if she hadnt met Ash LOL

also Risa is THICC
Mar 5, 2019 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
The logo is in English again. WTF!
A gyaru name Risa.
Nee-chan?
His name is Riku.
A girl name Largo.
Satoshi and Pikachu! He looks different.
Lugia?
Largo zettai.
Satoshi caught it.
Sonansu!
Lily bumped into Lisa.
That girl next to Satoshi is cute.
Dat Banguirus is out of control.
Satoshi saved Banguirus.
Satoshi came in 2nd.
LMAO! Eievui is the rare pokemon.
Risa in that elevator looking like she was in a hentai scene.
Eievui.
Risa caught Eievui.
Where's her eyebrows?
Junsa?
Dat fall.
Dem lies are being revealed.
Rocket-dan.

It was better than KnK.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 20, 2019 12:06 PM

Jul 2013
At first I wasn't sure what direction this movie was going to take because it seemed like there were a lot of different stories in it that were supposed to intertwine in the middle/climax of the show and I was right in some way. The show basically revolves around the consequences of their actions and the role each one of them play to save the city which would make sense of the title "Power of Us." That sounds great and all but the execution left me dissatisfied and the show didn't have much of an impact in the end. For some reason, the recent Pokemon movies have failed to create any impact on me. The animation and visuals have definitely improved obviously. The Hoopa movie had one of the best Pokemon fight scenes I've ever seen but story-wise, they haven't been that great at all. The last movie that left a huge impact on me was The Rise of Darkrai and that was almost 12 years ago. After that, Pokemon movies have been "okay" to progressively getting worse. Although, I gotta admit this one at least is better than Pokemon I Choose You which was just atrocious.

For the theme they were going for this movie, the length was definitely too short. 1 hour and 30 minutes wasn't enough to get me invested in the cast at all. I mean I'm not at all expecting super fleshed out characters from a movie considering that the main cast which was composed of entirely new characters was pretty big but I'm sure they would have benefited a lot from an increased length for characterization. The characters weren't all that compelling to me. We have Ash who's being his usual self, the uncle who's always lying, that annoying bitch grandma who's pissy towards Pokemon for no good reason, nice girl Margo, our shy and awkward scientist and the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT which was Risa. They did my girl Risa dirty. I was actually pretty hyped for this movie because of our new Pokegirl and her companion but unfortunately, the cover girl didn't play much of an importance in the show. I mean she did run a few miles to get that crystal thingy back in place to bless Lugia's rains down in Africa but.... meh she still didn't leave any sort of impact and of course, they gotta force Eevee in it. The company is really trying their hardest to make Eevee a mascot along with Pikachu.

Is it just me or does this movie doesn't actually have a villain? I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing but it is indeed interesting. I mean we have Team Rocket doing their usual shenanigans and unknowingly causing the disaster that happened in the movie lol and those poachers who, for some reason, were left off easy by the cast. I mean why the actual fuck did they left them get away? They're fucking Pokemon poachers! That useless mayor really just scared them off. They're probably hunting down Pokemon as the story continued lmfao. Also, can they be like more imaginative next time? Houndoom and Sneasel again? I felt like watching Pokemon 4ever again when they popped out lol. Are they the go-to Pokemon for poachers? I mean I'm actually complaining about something insignificant here. Who even cares if they reuse Pokemon? That's what they do all the time but the exact combination of Houndoom and Sneasel really just reminded me of the Celebi movie lmao.

The amount of smoke that came out of that small capsule was simply amazing lol.

Wtf happened to that Sudowoodo on steroids? Lmaooo

I refuse to believe how they got that huge ass power plant and its propellers working.

Immortal Ash strikes again! I guess getting electrocuted by Pikachu all the time has increased his electric resistance by tenfold considering that he was taking on Zeraora's lightning attack head on. Also, can they like stop, for the love of god, letting Ash get hit by Pokemon moves to create some kind of emotional impact? Because only Mewtwo Strikes Back has ever done it right.

They hyped this show about Lugia but he turned out to be of minor importance. He only showed up towards the end and then curtain roll. Same mistake with the last movie with Ho-oh. Should have just focused on Zeraora instead.

I still can't believe they did my girl Risa dirty T_T She looked like an interesting character from the trailers. Even our little girl Margo seemed more important in this movie.

I'm probably being way too hard on this movie which is most probably aimed at kids but considering that literally the first Pokemon movie and other good ones succeeding it were such masterpieces, it has to be said lol. I should probably lower my expectations already at this point since the last movie I truly loved was more than a decade ago lmao.

Anyway, 4/10
Dull_LullApr 20, 2019 12:17 PM
Apr 22, 2019 11:15 PM

Oct 2014
Pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. This is like the most solidly written and just plain enjoyable Pokemon movie I've seen in forever.
May 30, 2019 6:11 PM
Apr 2018
Quite entertaining actually and the characters were cool too: Margot, Risa, Callahan, the grandma and her whole Pokemon gang lol. I found Risa especially memorable as far as Ash's companions go; it's a shame she will most likely never appear again.

Even the Snubbull flashback touched me a bit :').
Jul 25, 2019 8:05 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I finally got to watch this movie now that my local library had a DVD of this! I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about this movie so I was really hoping to get to see this whenever possible

Can't say it beats my favorite movies, but it definitely felt like a well-rounded movie more than I Choose You. I Choose You in my opinion looks better, as this movie has a LOT of noticeable (and often for the wrong reasons) CGI, but this movie still had its good visuals and definitely had a more engaging story. Lots of characters, yes, but still more entertaining I guess.
Jan 4, 2020 3:28 AM

Jul 2015
Can someone explain me the moment that the girl loses her eyebrows?
May 27, 2020 8:39 AM

Mar 2014
I love the approach of multiples characters with their own little issues related with Pokémon. It was a fresh take from the usual "the world rotates around Ash" routine.

Belsel said:
Can someone explain me the moment that the girl loses her eyebrows?

It's Gyaru's stuff the narrow "eyebrows" thing, so she was already like that since the beginning of the movie, it just fell down her make up in the Eevee's capture scene.
Aug 4, 2021 5:31 AM
Jul 2018
This was certainly different than most other pokemom movies. Ideally of CG was excellent. Some cool shots. A lot of the characters were given their own stories rather than focusing mainly on Ash which was a great thing. Also, Lisa was thicc af. 8/10
May 25, 2023 2:06 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 3
[Art/Animation] - 4.5
[Sound/Music] - 3
[M-Character] - 3.5
[S-Character] - 3.5
[Enjoyment] - 3.5
[Overall] - 3.5
This is my seconded time watching this movie the first time was a few years ago and I don't know what to think when I watched it the first time, It was just a different type of Pokémon movie compared to what I seen form many of the other movies. A simple story of Ash meeting a bunch of different characters then what I seen before form other films, a shy nerdy guy ho has a hard time having conversation with other, too a girl with highlights with her own type of style hos unsure of what type of life she wants for her self going forward, Ash helping her get confident in her self was nice of him. An old guy ho cant stop telling lie's to myself and other around him, too an old lady ho struggles not wanting to have any relationship with others and Pokémon form losing a friend in the past that still haunts her to this day, and last a small little girl just wanting to help and protect Pokémon she loves and cares for, so many characters with problems that Ash helps in this film in small ways. The story is simple Team Rocket this time around is the main cause for everything bad happening and they got away with it too. what supersized me more was the animation they really pulled out a lot in this one, never have i seen a big city get this many great animation shots showcasing everything form the small and simple moment with the people and their Pokémon around living in peace with each other. But they had a few amount of bad CGI mix with draw shots wished they just made the entire film draw with the quality they already put in for the animation loved it. Every time they have a festival in the movies I feel like it going to be a good watch. I thought Risa was a main character but she is not I did like her and Largo was tome good for her moments but Torito and Zeraora I have to say did not care much about these two they were kind of fine, also was happy to see Lugia again in an other film even if it was a short one. I cant believe how much I liked this film, a simple story about people coming to together with their Pokémon and trying to saving their home's and it not some world ending event and Ash is the only savior, like the other films are for mostly all Pokémon movies.

CcCharlesMay 25, 2023 2:47 AM
Jun 11, 2023 9:24 PM

May 2008
Finally another post-Shudo Pokemon movie that does OC human characters well. (I say well in the sense of comparing it to other Pokemon movies.) That said, there's a bit too many for any proper backstories in less than 2 hours and there's some reused stuff, but they were actually well written! As in, there were more complex than a plot device like other OCs.

And in all honesty? I found it easier to watch than Entei's movie. I found myself not constantly questioning stuff and plucking on the threads and watching it collapse. Even the reused stuff (another character that lost a pokemon partner...) felt less like emotional manipulation and more like an explanation of why the character was the way they were. Even the little twist at the end wasn't bad; I had forgotten about the guy. lol

The flaws off the top of my head:

1) The battles. Again, the camera work is simply annoying. Why does it have to do the whole circling and making the battle hard to follow? The moves, again, were limited. Pikachu only used 3, so what's his fourth? Does this Satoshi have zero other pokemon? The variety of pokemon usage in these movies perplexes me.

2) The faces. Pure moeblobs and I hated seeing Satoshi's and RGT's faces looking like that. At least this story takes some more consideration of the pokemon so it's harder to say this could be anything other than a Pokemon movie. Still, I don't care for reboot Satoshi. I hate his characterization. Naturally CGI is a negative especially when they actually MIXED CGI and 2D in the crowds in one shot. Like, wha?

3) The Usokki guy never got a proper backstory. Why was he such a liar and wanting to impress his niece so bad? Why didn't he just catch a pokemon if the niece cared so much? Unnecessary drama and a lackluster use of the guy. 

4) Lugia shouldn't have been the legendary; it was kinda pointless. Like a contract obligation rather an active focus. Is basically the Houou in this movie. You could have added a different flying legendary (considering Lugia is connected to the SEA not wind :/) and it cameo overhead, it would have worked better.

5) The pokemon hunters?? That's one subplot that just... dropped. Except it was set-up! Why did they set them up just to drop them?? What about those poor pokemon they captured?

With such little negatives, one may think it may be rated higher but... It's average. There's nothing offensive about it, but there's nothing that really stood out. It doesn't DO anything. It's a nice little movie but not something that'll remember the next day when I'm on the toilet or in bed. It doesn't hit the same way (the better) OG movies do. I'm not remembering or caring about these characters, not the theme, not the pokemon, not anything once the movie finished. In fact, I'm having a hard time feeling much of anything and I just finished watching it. 

And that's a neutral (counter)point to this movie: it doesn't leave me feeling anything. I'm indifferent. I don't hate it like the previous, I don't love it like Myuutwo or Lucario's, I'm not questioning "why" like Celebi's and I'm not thinking "hey, that wasn't too bad" like Hoopa or Volcanion's.

It's okay. Not the best Pokemon movie, but not the worst.
Jan 13, 11:10 PM

Feb 2020
The first anime film finished in 2024

I didn't recognize Son Goku Masako Nozawa's voice until halfway through the film xD

Feb 8, 2:46 AM
Feb 2022
devilsrider said:
Much better than I Choose You

but that one was good too right .
Apr 13, 9:36 PM
Aug 2022
Decent Movie it is , watched in Regional DUB in Hungama (from India).
Apr 28, 5:51 AM

Jul 2013
One of the better Pokemon movies. I liked how all the little pieces came together in the end and every character grew up a little.
Aug 13, 10:27 PM

Sep 2016
There were a lot fo moving parts in this movie, but nothing felt outta place or unnecessary. All in all I thought this was a good movie. really felt like you could've removed the Pokemon aspect from the film and it would've still been a good story.

More topics from this board

» Where to watch online

Omegasword - Jan 4, 2019

1 by naptakermango »»
Feb 23, 2021 2:51 AM

» The Power Of Us - ending theme song

Aerchan - Nov 26, 2018

8 by frozenpandaman »»
Dec 15, 2018 8:29 PM

» Tickets Now Available - United States

Mizore - Sep 27, 2018

0 by Mizore »»
Sep 27, 2018 2:21 PM

» Expectations and opinions of this

Veromaye - Dec 24, 2017

20 by hotsushikun »»
Apr 11, 2018 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.