Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 23, 2017 6:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well I gotta admit, Isidro shouldn't be underestimated especially when he's fighting to protect someone.

The episode was alright. Glad they gave Sonia more screen time but her role in this season has been underwhelming. Obviously the manga continues from here but for what's worth, I've been really impressed by the witch from the group, aka Schierke. Glad to see that she made a new friend too.
TyrelJul 24, 2017 8:03 PM
Jun 23, 2017 8:01 AM
Jan 2010
Watched the episode only to see would it hint season 3.

Hopefully story continues. Now that mango is in hiatus and anime ended, world will be berserkless place for a long time.
Jun 23, 2017 8:29 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

I actually really loved this chapter in the manga and I'm glad to see it animated. There's just something about Schierke and Sonia bonding in the dark world of Berserk that makes it really beautiful to see.

Isidoro's found himself a rival in Mule.
Puck with his troll cameo's are always awesome. XD

The final scene in 2D was so so good, if only the whole series was like that, This would've been so amazing. Anyway, lovely final scene especially when Guts calls Schierke his comrade and that final Schierke smile was so cute. <3

Overall, definitely way better than S1. They are doing well in terms of adapting the source material. If at all, the only problems you can call on this series is the CG animation that can sometimes get really awkward, Like in this episode when the pirate guy was talking, his mouth and voice sync were totally off. Despite all that, I still really enjoyed this show and besides, I'm glad that we're getting an adaptation post Golden Age. I wouldn't mind an S3 to see the rest of the content adapted. My only wish is that someday, Berserk gets a full 2D animation adaptation like the last scene of this episode. That would honestly be the best thing ever and while it isn't likely, I'd love for S3 to be 2D if and if we get one.

7/10
Jun 23, 2017 8:35 AM

Mar 2008
Did they simply do proper 2D animation in the last couple minutes to annoy everyone off that didn't like the ugly CG they've used the past couple seasons? I suppose it might hint that they are willing to switch back to proper 2D animation for a future season, but who knows. Otherwise that just seemed like a shot at people watching. "Hey this could have actually been a good looking show if we wanted it to."

In the end it was a pretty good season. They covered some good material and Schierke was a nice addition to the cast. She's quite a likable character who can also really contribute with her abilities. Pretty tough for her seeing the world outside of the haven she really grew up in, but she'll come out if it a stronger person. Also just nice seeing Guts becoming much more open in terms of accepting having comrades again.
Jun 23, 2017 8:47 AM

Apr 2014
The way how it ended. There can be another season. Though I wish it could've been better. Been a Berserk Fan for a long time...
Jun 23, 2017 8:55 AM

Jun 2009
I love Schierke she and guts make a great couple, Schierke was one of the reasons I continued watching this season <3 and Sonia is lovely too she's the kind of friend I have always wanted to beautiful/talented/funny/nice/sweet she's perfect
Jun 23, 2017 9:29 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
this last episode i can resume how "kids adventure" but with a great background because if Schirke had the opportunity to change of team!!!
The last sequence, when all them in the bar drinking, the animation style changed, like more this style!!!!

7/10 for this secnd season and hope a new season the next year!!!!
Jun 23, 2017 9:38 AM

Mar 2013
Why in the name of Godhands, isn't all the anime like the last sequence ?
Jun 23, 2017 9:51 AM

Apr 2014
first i gotta say i really wish they could make the whole series in the non 3d why that they did for the end of this ep was really nice but if only they could do the the whole series in that style

besides that i really liked this season alot more than the last more battles more characters especially Schierke which is my fave which made things alot better imo

only other thing to say is i really hope another season happens someday soon but till then time to finally start the manga
"one step at a time"
Jun 23, 2017 11:17 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The reason why the entire series is not in 2D like the end bit of this episode is because the studio is small and inexperienced. They can only animate 2D stuff for a couple of mins. The reason why it's in CG is so that they can save staff and time. Oh well, decent series. The only reason I was able to enjoy this was because the original source material was so good. Despite how bad of an adaptation it was, Some of Miura's good writing was able to shine through it. Plus the music is top-notch as always. Berserk never got a faithful adaptation, so hopefully it gets one someday. As for now, we'll have to work with this :/

7/10
Jun 23, 2017 11:24 AM

Feb 2013
Stupid Isidoro, he made Schierke cry.
Jun 23, 2017 11:40 AM

Aug 2016

When Schierke has a smile to rival even Casca's...

I thought it was a pretty sweet ending, though not as conclusive as one would like (but their hands are tied with the 12-episode format). As it was a Schierke-focused episode, that genuinely helped bring it up a bit. The whole thing with respecting the dead, meeting up with Sonia, and Mule's bro-fighting with Isidoro was also fun to see, showing a lot of development and potential development for the future.

The Ugly Duckling tale, particularly, was something I saw as quite creative, and it did well to convey Sonia's childlike reverence towards Griffith and the Band while also retaining some legitimacy as it's quite honest as an analogy.

Schierke really impressed me with being able to stay with Guts' group, whether out of her loyalty to him or her own personal understanding that there is where she needs to be. The events at the pub at the end of the episode should have done well to emphasize she made the correct decision. Speaking of that scene, was it as painful as anyone else as it was for me? Too many flashbacks to the original Band of the Hawk...

Also, pirates. I don't know why it was so god damn hilarious to see them, especially as the final enemies of a Berserk season, but there you have it. At least Guts had a chance to rest, as it seems like every future battle he's going to fuck himself up more thanks to the (albeit badass) Berserker Armor.

Jun 23, 2017 12:39 PM
Apr 2017
Yep.. It's finaly over this season and hope the last season by this staff.
The episode itself is not horible unlike episode 9, 10 and 11 but not good either..
The pirates are absolute horrible looking in a bad way.
The tavern scene is kinda cool but the credits , another time , destroy the moment.
The adaptation is very bad , skipping important characters , dialogues and scene( like moonlight boy , Ganiskah , Daiba , Wildhelm's section and Charlote's rescue.). I really hope this is the last season by this staff. I hope Berserk gets a worth anime adaptation. Bad anime by owns means and garbage adaptation.
3/10 Fuck Berserk 2016/17.
AkuseruVIIIJun 24, 2017 10:05 AM
Jun 23, 2017 12:46 PM

Jun 2014
Well that's finally over. The animation in the last couple of minutes for the tavern scene looked better than any other episode from this season and the previous season. Talk about a huge middle finger. I can only hope that someday Berserk will get an adaptation from a competent studio that will give it the treatment it deserves.

The ideal scenario would be never getting another Berserk anime until the manga completely finishes (no matter how long that takes), then a studio that actually has a good track record aside from multiple seasons of shitty shorts adapts the whole story FAITHFULLY, no cutting anything or skipping chunks of the story. That's just an insane pipe dream for now, but I'll remain optimistic that it can eventually become a reality.
thebrentinator24Jun 23, 2017 12:55 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jun 23, 2017 12:49 PM

Aug 2013
Considering manga is back on hiatus, I think its safe to assume next season is in the making.

Also that last minute or so is the best this berserk has ever looked :D
Jun 23, 2017 1:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Akarasu said:
Why in the name of Godhands, isn't all the anime like the last sequence ?

I know, right?! If I didn't know better I'd think they were trolling the audience. I suspect doing the CG stuff is just cheaper for them.

If all the animation looked like the last 2 minutes all manga fans would be ecstatic. They've done a good job with the adaptation, good music, sound and voice acting. I really hope they improve the art/animation for season 3.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 23, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2011
At least I can say that the last scene left me with a good taste. But that wont get me baited for a 3rd season (I think...)
Jun 23, 2017 2:54 PM

Mar 2010
Just when I was getting cozy with the series... and its done. will wait in hype.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 23, 2017 3:16 PM
Jun 2016
I think that, if all anime had been done by 2D animation as the same as the last scenes from this episode, Berserk 2017 could have been amazing and one of the best animes
Jun 23, 2017 3:17 PM

Jun 2015
Guts is protective over Schierke it's so sweet. It's nice to see Guts belong to a group again. The last season was so lonely.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 23, 2017 4:21 PM

May 2009
To be contuvre blyaaaaaa~
Jun 23, 2017 4:39 PM

May 2015
Decent finale and way to end this season. Overall, I think this season was better than the first season I'd say.

7/10.

Jun 23, 2017 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished this recently.

Overall, S2 is actually worse than S1 because with S1 while it was still shit at least there were some few things that I did liked animated, S2 had absolutely nothing other than to skip more content, or if they adapted things well, they handled it poorly and it got to the point where I personally can't take it seriously. The biggest part about it? The middle finger of the entire season for me was the last 2 and a half minutes.

That animation was better than the entire show, but that was some sort of big middle finger to the audience because they are pretty much making everyone feel like absolute shit seeing that. Not like it will help a lot because the execution as an adaption and as a standalone are crap, but it could be bareable in my opinion.

Overall 2016/2017 are both disasters in their own right, as an adaptation it fails incredibly to capture the tone and feel of the series and ruining the characters by a large margin, and as a standalone it can't even help itself to give context with awful transitions, pacing, poor execution, piss poor production value, etc.

And no I'm not going to blame the staff for this but I blame the person who decided to give the job to them. Not because they're bad or anything (they're far from it) but because not only this type of show doesn't work for them they don't even have much resource to work on, unfortunately. Especially with the director having this style of energetic directing which with the CGI in this series doesn't work at all. It's a shame really. Since I did remembered I liked few of his directing works, so that's just a bit of a salt on my end.

Overall I give this a 2/10, I think with that being said these are just my thoughts, if you enjoy this then fine by me. I just didn't.

P.S: I know someone will tell me "why the fuck did you watched it in the first place if you hated S1" the reason was because I agreed with a friend of mine regarding on watching it together. So, there's that.
removed-userJun 23, 2017 5:34 PM
Jun 23, 2017 5:35 PM

Mar 2016
After last season of Berserk 2016 ended all I hoped for was a better follow up season that improved the animation and directing and better adapted the manga...Berserk 2017 did just that! The animation still takes some getting used to and some of the scenes use some questionable directing choices and sketchy animations but overall that is still far better than last season. The story was a big hit this season! Not only is this one of the better parts of the manga and one of the best portions of the story overall but it was adapted in a much better relationship to the source material than last year where they really messed with the Black Swordsman Arc. This final episode covered an important decision for Schierke of what she would do now that she was faced with the true ugliness of the human world. Sonia offers for Schierke to join her and the hawk but she decides to stay with Guts and the group of people he has around him that he has started to recognize as comrades. This marks an important transition for Guts to as he has comrades for the first time since the eclipse. This was a good way to end this season because it sets up nicely for the next installment and transitions the story into the next progression flawlessly. I can only how that season 3 continues to improve upon the animation and continues to do the story of Berserk (imo the greatest story ever put into manga) the proper justice that Berserk not only deserves but demands out of an anime adaptation. Overall I give this anime an 8/10 and I hope next season comes soon or I may have to reread the manga to get my Beserk craving satisfied!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jun 23, 2017 5:46 PM

Jul 2016
I hope we get more Berserk :)

If you can get past the shady graphics and animation, it's a pretty decent Anime.

Jun 23, 2017 6:20 PM

Mar 2016
Ah, finally some classic Berserk humor is coming back.
Now if we could get the second chapter of the city and the boat arc animated as nice as the last few minutes of episode 12 that'd be awesome.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Jun 23, 2017 6:32 PM

Jul 2014
That hanged mad spirit was extremely creepy lol

If they are making another season I hope they use better CGI or use something more traditional to produce the series. The story is quite good but the anime is hard to watch sometimes; a bit sad knowing its manga is extremely detailed and well drawn.

7/10
Jun 23, 2017 7:09 PM

Dec 2012
Nice finale episode.

Ishidoro getting better at rolling & fighting. LOL Puck Spark. He should do that more often. Schierke's smile at the end was great.

Overall I enjoyed this a bit more than last year's one.
Wouldn't mind another season.
7/10.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jun 23, 2017 9:56 PM

Jan 2012
Can't wait for Berserk Brotherhood in a couple of years
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jun 24, 2017 12:25 AM

Aug 2009
So they couldn't afford to animate the first ever appearance of the Berserker armor during the Grunbeld fight in 2D, but this random bar scene with Shierke in a new outfit played for laughs gets the 2D treatment.... wtf?! Not to mention how ugly the cgi blood looked in this show... wtf the consistency was all wrong it just looked bad.

I'd glad they didn't censor the troll rape though so 6/10

Berserk Ultimate when?

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 24, 2017 1:16 AM

Jul 2014
This episode was very odd, but not exactly terrible, especially with that hint of a third season at the end (I'd be very surprised if we didn't get a third season, to be honest).

People will complain about the animation forever, but in this season it has mostly looked better compared to the first, and this season has also been more interesting than the first. I'm definitely hoping we get a third some point soon, because things are starting to get very interesting now.

7/10
Jun 24, 2017 1:47 AM

Oct 2011
Didn't really have the 'final episode' feel. It was still great but it would have made sense if the season had 24 episodes

Jun 24, 2017 1:52 AM

Nov 2011
CG has never really bothered me before but this is the first time it did, it was really terrible in a lot of places. I really like Berserk so hope they get a bigger budget and make a 3rd season, similar to Kingdom.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 24, 2017 2:03 AM
Jul 2018
fking awful
whoever is adapting this clearly is an amateur, it doesnt even feel like a season's end. 2016 version had it better.
on the other hand, the story is getting a bit cliche with the author forcing characters into friend relationships with the enemy so later it would be something like:
"but why tho? dont u remember the good time we had with the pirates blablalba QQQ time to kill u"
Jun 24, 2017 3:58 AM

Jan 2015
The season ended in a pretty random spot in the middle of an arc. At least they didn't rush to end the season in a better spot between arcs. They really tried but there's only so much you can do with no money. 6/10
Jun 24, 2017 6:09 AM

Dec 2013
Random place to end but I like Schierke so this was still an enjoyable last episode for me.

Those last few minutes actually looked pretty decent.
Jun 24, 2017 6:26 AM

Jun 2013
that didn't feel like a finale at all
Jun 24, 2017 7:26 AM
Dec 2012
Guess it's over huh. Schierke's smile tho :3
Jun 24, 2017 8:38 AM
Oct 2007
Wow 21:15 onward, looking good in 2D!!

6/10. Definitely another season with lots of potential!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2017 1:48 PM

Feb 2014
Those last minutes of animation looked so good why can't the rest look like that :(

The story continues... go read the manga or more anime is cumming ?

Jun 24, 2017 2:22 PM
Jun 2014
nice animation in the last minutes.
Jun 24, 2017 5:49 PM

Aug 2015
Witch girl is best character. Hoping we get a 3rd season soon.
Jun 24, 2017 8:11 PM

Jun 2010
Okay so while this season did improve upon season 1's quality overall, it really dropped the ball in the key scenes (such as the debut of the berserker armour). Truth be told, I think this season is more frustrating because of its inconsistency, with the final beautifully animated pub scene at the end acting as the final FU to the fans who want more from an adaptation of Berserk.

Overall this season gets a 6/10 from me.

Also as an aside, did anyone else catch the lip syncing on the pirate captain? That may have been the worst it's ever been, and this series has some pretty stiff competition 😂.
Jun 25, 2017 1:02 PM

Jul 2009
Gonna miss this, even with this bad quality...

7/10
Jun 25, 2017 2:24 PM

Jan 2011
It is still a fact that if they would just animate even like they did while the credits were appearing this episode it would overall be better. Like seriously, if you aren't going to animate "normally" at least do it like that. It looked pretty darn good and fitting for Berserk. Despite that, it was still good.
Jun 25, 2017 5:01 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was great compared to most
Jun 25, 2017 5:21 PM

Mar 2016
The last episode was very pretty good ! I can't wait for the next season! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Jun 25, 2017 10:24 PM

Apr 2009
Loved the episode, but thought it wasn't a great place for a finale. Especially annoying since he had a pointless recap episode.

Overall an improvement to season 1. That's not necessarily aiming super high I admit, but credit where credit is due. That said often the animation was terrible in key scenes, the battle choreography was lacking and attacks lacked "weight", etc. The voice acting and the quality of the source material dragged this to a 7/10 despite all the flaws.

Oh well, when it's all said and done I've still enjoyed seeing post-Golden Age brought to life and would be excited about a season 3. Now if only the manga writer/artist could get back on a regular schedule.
Jun 26, 2017 6:31 AM

Jan 2013
Enjoyed the episode generally but thought it was pretty lame as an ending. Clearly leaving it hanging for another season.

Only other qualm is the animation for the pirate captain sucked. His mouth barely moved in time with his speech.
Jun 26, 2017 10:31 AM

May 2015
I can't wait for the next season , i've been following this anime for quite some time but if I'm waiting too long i'll eventually have to read the manga. :p

Some people would argue that the last episode in the season shouldn't be a 'filler' or some type but I beg to differ. I love it when they bring out a sentimental episode which imo makes me pumped to see more. I hope Guts can get revenge and Casca come to her senses. Hopefully the next season doesn't take too long!

(Maybe SnK & Berserk 2018 in the same season?) :o
“You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others, right?
You’re nice and wonderful.
But while it seems like you are choosing both,
you’re really forsaking both.”
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

71 by _alone_again_ »»
Apr 29, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

85 by Revanant1999 »»
Jan 25, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.