Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2014 4:43 AM
Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm not that familiar with Lupin but watching this made me want to revisit green jacket and give a try to red and pink. Really nice background art, character art style and music. Pretty standard Lupin plot (at least compared to green jacket since it's the only one I have actual exposure to), which may be a bit underwhelming for a movie. Would really be lovely as an episode of a series, though.

Dec 3, 2014 4:10 PM

Nov 2010
Will this be subbed, anyone know? I can't wait to watch this and be able to understand more than 20% of it, lol. I splurged and bought the Blu-Ray collectors edition, and it is GORGEOUS. Comes with 2 small art books, and I have been diggin' it.
Dec 6, 2014 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
Takeshi Koike! Still waiting for a fansub group to pick this up. so looking forward to this
Dec 7, 2014 6:45 AM
Apr 2011
TheNaturalPerm said:
Takeshi Koike! Still waiting for a fansub group to pick this up. so looking forward to this

Underwater join with FFF release it today, you can cek it on their website.
Dec 7, 2014 2:54 PM

Feb 2011
Rhys2753 said:
What the Hell?

Potential 2015 series plot tease?
I think this movie MIGHT be related the upcoming 2015 series. Not only because of what you just pointed out in the spoiler, but also because Lupin wears a BLUE jacket here. I wonder...

The movie itself was pretty damn good. I still love this kind of animation style and it looked very colorful, but still keeping serious tone.
I only wish Goemon would've appeared, but it's not like he'd be necessary, so it's fine either way.
Dec 7, 2014 2:55 PM
Jan 2011
What the Hell?

Potential 2015 series plot tease?
Dec 7, 2014 6:39 PM
Feb 2012
Watch out, there's another scene after the ending.

I think this is the prequel of the 2015 series.
Dec 8, 2014 1:03 AM
Aug 2009
What's the HLW?
Dec 8, 2014 10:28 AM

Aug 2014
I missed the dynamics between Lupin and Jigen. Good stuff.

morshuwarrior said:
I only wish Goemon would've appeared, but it's not like he'd be necessary, so it's fine either way.

Fujiko wasn't necessary, but she made it in anyway. Even Zenigata got a few seconds, if only to hint at a sequel.

AnimeEmperor said:
What's the HLW?

The answer is spoiler'ed above.
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 9, 2014 3:53 AM

Jan 2008
- Inspector, what could this mean?
- Somewhere out there lives a man who doesn't get his English ordinal numbers right.
Dec 9, 2014 10:54 AM
Dec 2009
That was okay. A bit underwhelming but good for a 50-ish minute movie.

lpf said:
I'm not that familiar with Lupin but watching this made me want to revisit green jacket and give a try to red and pink.

Green jacket is the best, go for it.
Dec 9, 2014 1:27 PM
Jan 2011
Jyng said:
Ciara said:
- Inspector, what could this mean?
- Somewhere out there lives a man who doesn't get his English ordinal numbers right.

I'm sorry, what?

Ordinal numbers man

Referring to:
Dec 9, 2014 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
I really don't think this is prepping for the 2015 series, as that takes place in Italy and seems to be a completely new Lupin direction. This was supposed to be in the 1970s and directly after the Fujiko series. So, if we look at the movies, we could say that the Mamo movie came next. I wasn't thrilled with this movie, but the 2015 series has me stoked. It's a great time to be a Lupin fan.
Dec 11, 2014 1:16 AM

Jan 2009
that was good 2 episodes, Fujiko is as sexy as ever but damn the ending has a cliffhanger and Zenigata is so serious in this series like Fujiko series lol
Dec 11, 2014 2:40 PM

Apr 2007
Mamo appearing was the most random thing and Fujiko had almost no purpose in this other than boobs.

But overall it was pretty cool. Jigen rarely gets much focus in the Lupin movies besides being Lupin's pal and BANG BANG so it was nice seeing him in the spotlight. Absolutely LOVED the animation too. While it's the same style as the Fujiko series it still felt very different, more than just a better budget.

The only disappointment was no Goemon :( He's my favorite maaaan. Although Lupin's scribbles at the end were amusing haha
Dec 15, 2014 5:11 AM

Aug 2011
Great movie, but The Border is the Face of Farewell makes for much better Jigen development. That said, I loved the art style, writing, and pretty much everything about this. I thought the villain was well fleshed out, and I hope Koike works on more Lupin projects in the future.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Dec 21, 2014 2:59 PM

Aug 2008
This is the coolest thing I've seen in ages. Everything about it was so stylish.

The one thing I liked a bit less would be how freak that pervert show was.

I guess it's now time to watch more Lupin, I'm sad that I don't know who's that Mamo guy.
Dec 26, 2014 11:45 AM

Aug 2011
Kurini said:
This is the coolest thing I've seen in ages. Everything about it was so stylish.

I guess it's now time to watch more Lupin, I'm sad that I don't know who's that Mamo guy.

He has an episode in the original series, and he's the main villain of the first Lupin III feature film, Mystery of Mamo. One of the only recurring characters in the franchise.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Dec 29, 2014 2:36 PM

Jun 2010
Monochrome said:
...Fujiko had almost no purpose in this other than boobs.

Surely she needs no other reason.

She and Lupin flirting with each other is fun to watch, anyway.
Mar 25, 2015 10:13 AM

Jan 2015
This was an interesting Lupin III story. It was a more mature take on the franchise, and the possibilities for a sequel were left open. After Fujiko's series and Jigen's movie, I hope the next installment is focused on Goemon.
Jun 1, 2015 1:30 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
An entertaining and as always cool and stylish piece (then again, can anything with Lupin III and Fujiko Mine not be cool?).

The art/animation on this was just astonishing too. The level of detail on the architecture, vehicles, character designs. Sooo beautiful. It's a shame that otaku don't appreciate this kind of thing anymore.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 13, 2015 11:17 AM

Jul 2014
Monochrome said:
Absolutely LOVED the animation too. While it's the same style as the Fujiko series it still felt very different, more than just a better budget.

As for me, I found the art style of the movie pretty dull compared to the series. Definitely my favorite art style beside the first and second series.
Dec 16, 2015 6:38 AM

Nov 2011
HOLY FUCK

GODDAMNIT THESE BASTARDS KNOW HOW TO GET US HYPED WITH THAT ENDING
Feb 7, 2016 6:46 PM

Feb 2014
Kurini said:

Watch "Redline", has the same character design and cool style than this movie.
Jul 20, 2016 6:26 PM

May 2010
igorrr said:
Kurini said:

Watch "Redline", has the same character design and cool style than this movie.

Animation was Godlike. Automatically saw the Redline similarities in the first car chase. I give these 2 episodes a 9/10. I liked them more than Mine Fujiko which I give a 8/10.
Jul 16, 2017 6:24 PM

Dec 2015
Plot wasn't perfect but fitting for a 50 minute time length.

The animation and artwork was just incredible, probably one of the best works i've seen. There was an incredible amount of detail in pretty much everything.

I particularly liked how Jigen followed through with his revenge; forcing Okuzaki to use his left hand for the duel which most likely tightened the differences between their reaction time. Glad I didn't spoil myself halfway with Jigen's death; what's interesting was how Lupin was not only convinving Okuzaki but the viewers at the same time.

Lastly, that ending was hilarious - Mine is always a step behind Lupin.
~
Oct 28, 2017 1:17 AM

Dec 2012

And that was the end. Fujiko looked so fine with that hair color. Nice body as usual. That ED song is good.
RobOct 28, 2017 1:22 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 23, 2018 10:18 PM

Jul 2009
Amazing!!! Tbh, I agree the animation is very Redline like. Which was actually done by the same character designer and animator Takeshi Koike.

Tbh, this felt more of an OVA rather than a movie. It even cut to the other half and thought this was really an OVA.

Jigen is definitely the star of the show. It's nice to see him on the spotlight!! I really love the chemistry of Lupin and Jigen in this movie. Really shows the bromance!

What makes this movie special is they actually showed characters being hurt. You rarely see Jigen and Lupin actually getting hit by bullets. Usually they just skim through them and win the day. Even had Okuzaki's flesh being shown at the end.

I thought Jigen died, but no way he's life will end that way. I knew Lupin would be able to trick Okuzaki. The moment he paused in that corner on the shipment trailer. He knew he had to do something. Still, where did Jigen got that blood pack on his head XD

I also love how Jigen's pride was on the line as the best gunman in the world. He couldn't believe it when he lost the first match. I too wonder how Okuzaki manages to hit both of them perfectly on the right time. I thought he had psychic powers or anything supernatural, but just cheating comsat :P

Still, once again Jigen proves to be the best. I feel that Fujiko was thrown in the movie just for the nudes :P

Shame no Goemon. but we have another movie follow up for him anyways.

I give it an 8/10. The only bad thing about this is that it's very short. I wanted more tbh.

Oct 16, 2018 1:54 PM

Jun 2014
This was gorgeous. Wish it was longer. The production values were impeccable. There were some really beautiful iconic shots in this. The user above displayed some of them, look how beautiful the colors are, look how wonderfully stylish and refined this is.

Plus Jigen and Lupin are the greatest bros ever.

9/10
:3
Feb 11, 2019 2:46 PM

Nov 2017
It was really great to see Mamo near the end, short as it was. He was one of my favorite villains in the franchise, I love characters just don't know when to die!
Mar 31, 2019 3:24 AM

Oct 2012
I prefer this clean & bright artstyle, it's more well suited for Lupin unlike the previous one

5st and 6st April xD

First time Lupin and Jigen have a laugh together
Now this is what I imagined a good spinoff with a nice ending, better than the previous
This is what I liked from Lupin

Why's Mamo there?

ED song is Revolver Fire huh, perfect song for Jigen
"You're pretty good!"
Rayl1ghtMar 31, 2019 3:32 AM
"Signature removed"
Aug 31, 2019 3:58 PM

Sep 2011
Well, this one was pretty cool. Koike Takeshi's character design is slick, stylish, and Lupin was looking especially hot and cool. Especially when wearing that eyepatch during that last confrontation with Jael. xD He really gave them trouble, but Lupin is really perceptive, and Jael had already lost as soon as he realized his trick. Jigen's "return" from the dead was pretty cool too, just like the second and last duel between him and Jael. He didn't kill him, but I dare say he did something even worse, leaving his arm like that and stripping him of his existence as a "gun."

Queen Marta just wanted to bring peace to her fellow people, but she was used, and discarded as a tool by her own home country, so they could wage war while playing the heroes. And they would have got away with it too if they hadn't targeted Jigen as well. It's saddening, but at least Queen Marta could bring change in a way when the truth behind her death came to light thanks to Jigen and Lupin.

This one was more about Jigen so I guess it's to be expected, but there was no Goemon, and this is certainly a con in my book. Fujiko was also turned into the exhibition piece of a freak show for an unsettling amount of time, but she got back on her feet when Lupin went to rescue her, and helped the plot move forward with the Calamity File. It wasn't ideal, but at least she had a part to play. And well, Zenigata made a cameo. It was a nice movie!
Jan 2, 2020 1:38 PM

May 2018
Dat Fujiko scenes lol. Just your typical Fujiko doing typical Fujiko things: prostituting around, showing tits, floundering naked in oil, dealing with drill-penis robots.
Was she the same miserable mannequin with tits in original series?
Nemo_NiemandJan 2, 2020 1:44 PM

Sep 2, 2021 10:33 PM
Mar 2019
'Well don't you look dazzling'- Lupin the third

I love this ova! It doesn't hold back on the violence, blood shed & nudity. And you have a great villain too!

I don't care for the sequence with Fujiko and the robot gimp. It's just fan service to me. Even tho I'm not gonna complain about. Her hair looks fabulous tho

What I've always love was how Fujiko convinced Lupin to save her by using reverse psychology. Lupin getting piss 'I'll save you without breaking a sweat' having a nervous twitchy eye always cracks me up. When lupin comes to save her 'well don't you look dazzling'. Fujiko replying That's rude! Stop it!
Is still humorous.

Lupin getting beat up by one of the mask perverts is hilarious!
Jul 7, 2023 7:32 AM

Dec 2021
Enjoyed it a lot, but what a hell of a cliffhanger, having Mamo at the end.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Dec 11, 2023 2:51 PM

Aug 2017
Enjoyed the soundtrack which was fairly different from what I'm used to in Lupin (different composer and such). Also appreciate the gags in the Calamity File showing what was clearly parodies of Lenin and Stalin lol.

More topics from this board

» The BD will come out on 28 November.

rederoin - Aug 7, 2014

17 by Rhys2753 »»
Aug 12, 2015 9:28 AM

» Teaser/2nd Teaser Update 6/14

Maor - Apr 18, 2014

4 by Keitaro004 »»
Aug 10, 2014 1:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.