Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 31, 2014 1:47 AM
Apr 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was a great Special. The animation was decent and i liked how it happened at the start of his training so Luffy wasn't super strong yet.

Also for people who dont read the manga there is a spoiler at the end after the credits so if you dont want to be spoiled dont watch right to the end.
Aug 31, 2014 2:19 AM

Oct 2012
It was an awesome episode but the animation was a little weired to me and worldo was awesome.
and after credits scene yoooo finally
"Happiness is like glass. It may be all around you, yet be invisible. But if you change your angle of viewing a little, then it will reflect light more beautifully than any other object around you."
Aug 31, 2014 2:24 AM
May 2014
Holy heck that fight was amazing.

Loved seeing buggy again, its been too long.
Aug 31, 2014 3:17 AM

Aug 2013
God.. I defend One Piece to death because I love it so much, but this was REALLY disappointing, just like the other specials... how can ANYONE think stuff like Film Z, Strong World and this are anything compared to the series? it's just two hours of really boring fights that are rushed... One Piece doesn't translate well in my opinion when it's only got two hours to complete a story...

The Boa Hancock and that old lady fanservice? pathetic... I swear to god, One Piece better not get any worse when it comes to fanservice, they need to tone it down, it's like they think they can't get ratings unless they make the tits huge and jiggly... wow.

7/10 at best...
Aug 31, 2014 3:35 AM

Sep 2010
Special just like any other special. It was good, but not as good as actual serie.

I thought that I will see some of the training of strawhats. Well we did see some of luffy training but no one else.

Still this special had few good points and as always the more one piece the better.

Btw I don't know where I heard somewhere that there should be a hint to gear four and I didn't see it anywhere. Did someone recognize it or was the whole thing with gear four a lie?
(I don't think it was white type of haki, right?) Or was the whole message misunderstood and it was about red hawk?

Anyway, good to see buggy again, his actions are awesome.

Then the scene with the super large cannon. It's rare to see Mihawk do anything and here we saw once again his 'simple swing'. When will we see this guy get a little serious?
Aug 31, 2014 4:58 AM

Jul 2014
I earnestly was waiting for fourth gear and then I reminded myself that the special is canon (in some sense) and then I was like what special thing was Oda talking about then? At the end of the credits I got my answer and I'm longing his debut in the series, it will be epic for sure!

My favorite part was at the ending how Mihawk just casually sliced that ball (World's ambition and dreams) which had me laughing for 5 minutes straight.
PurpleRequiemAug 31, 2014 8:36 AM
"I only studied a little bit of history and I have learned there are two current thoughts in human history. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When the war begins, it is on the pretext of the former type of people and it justify the latter when the war ends"
Aug 31, 2014 5:36 AM

Dec 2011
Nice Special and some good fights & moments.Buggy still is so damn lucky to get all the glory....alsowe get to see someone interesting in the ending and can't wait for him to appear in One Piece current arc
Aug 31, 2014 5:41 AM

Jan 2014
I thought this was a really good one piece special
Aug 31, 2014 6:22 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I definitely enjoyed this special. Really nice! Highlights for me are the following:

- Luffy fighting some strong large creatures in the island during his training. We even saw him blindfolded during the training.
- Luffy and Hancock teaming up during their first battle aboard World's ship.
- The presence of the Buggy Pirates, and Buggy's first days as Warlord. Hell yeah! xD Buggy being Buggy as usual. xDD
- Perona being tsundere. :D Luffy can't remember her name. xP
- Hancock being jealous because Luffy knows Perona.
- Byrnndi World was really a tough antagonist. Also, I kinda like the backstory of these brothers. They wanted to sail the seas and be free. Byojack, the older brother, deeply cares for his crew members and their dream. It's sad that World's personality and outlook in life changed, to the point that he treated his older brother and friends as nothing more but tools. :/
- Hancock fanservice.
- I like the Cube-Cube fruit ability. Nice animation too. :P Buggy got involved in the fight against that ability user. xD
- The final battle in the room filled with spikes was really intense. Although it felt like it was too short for me.. :(
- Mihawk slices the giant cannonball in half! Wooooo! >.<
- Shichibukai Buggy takes all the glory in the end?! WTF?! xD
- Before the credits roll ended, THAT guy appeared! Awesome!

I was really satisfied watching this special. Love how characters like Buggy, Mr. 3, Mihawk, Perona, and the rest of the Kuja Pirates took part in this.
Aug 31, 2014 6:32 AM

Jan 2008
I guess the "big surprise" was more for anime watchers than manga readers. It might be understandable but somehow I got the feeling they try to satisfy both parties with their choice of "favourite character fanservice" in those special episodes and movies.

I'm a little dissapointed with Hancock's fight. It was funny, but Boa already showed she can kick ass and she didn't get to that here. Buggy's antics were the highlight here and it's good to see Perona (even if is it's apparent her and Mihawk only showed up to please their fans, lol). It's a shame they didn't show anything else of Straw Hats aside from flasbacks (aaaand there go my tears, those scenes get me every time). And wow, Big Bad's motivations and stuff were pretty, I don't now, kinda depressing? Even his last scene didn't feel me with much optimism about him. That's new in One Piece.

Overally it was pretty nice special, definitely better than the dreary Episode of Luffy.
Aug 31, 2014 7:54 AM

Jun 2014
i wonder if there's zoro or sanji training episode?
Aug 31, 2014 8:55 AM

Apr 2014
I liked this special!

I was surprised by Luffy. The training is hard and he has a trauma from his brother but he sure did lie down a lot in this special. At a certain point I thought: "Ahw come on! Just stand up already!". I know it's difficult to him but... Keep on fighting!

I thought that World was kinda annoying, not only his name but also his personality, and I felt so sorry for his big brother D:

I still don't know why Mihawk and Perona were there... Ah well, Perona helped Luffy so I'm happy.

Buggy's just... Buggy :'D

But... that last part. THAT LAST PART. I only thought: "OMG SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS! WHEN-WHEN-WHEN-WHEN IS HE COMING?!" I really want to know when he's coming in the series! And I wonder what'll happen!! O_O

I'm very satisfied :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2014 8:58 AM

Mar 2014
That was pretty good but one thing I didn't like was the animation for Marineford at the beginning. It seemed so shit compared to the anime version, and Ace looked weird. The way they cut scenes from when Ace got free and then dying was a bit quick. But after that the animation seemed better.

As expected Hancock fanservice XD. She beat up the side characters pretty easily but never got her chance against World which was a bit of a letdown. She hugged Luffy- how the fuck can he not feel anything towards her?

Lol at Mihawk, just sits in his boat for an hour then slices World's dreams in half. And Buggy takes credit for everything lol.

Cube Cube fruits power reminds me of Gildarts in FT. While that old lady was just pathetic.

I thought they would have shown some clips of the rest of the crew doing their training but they didn't which was a bit disappointing. But Sabo at Ace's grave was a nice "surprise" ending.
Aug 31, 2014 8:58 AM

May 2012
It was OK. Nothing amazing.
Aug 31, 2014 9:23 AM

May 2013
I haven't watched the episode but can someone tell me what the big surprise at the end is?
Aug 31, 2014 10:01 AM

Jan 2008
@RevolverSnake (MASSIVE spoiler in... spoiler)
Aug 31, 2014 11:55 AM

May 2013
I loved this special and actually almost cried (one piece has never actually made me cry but I've been close). I do have complaints though.
-Hancock getting her clothes ripped was stupid and unimportant (she was insanely cute though, kya!).
-Her fight was annoying too, more so the person she fought against.
-It got really repetitive, I understand World was tough but it just got annoying seeing Luffy get beat 3 times then pulling out a win.
-We didn't get to see anything about the other straw hats
-Buggy was funny at first but then I just wanted him to be gone

Besides those things, it was a great special.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Aug 31, 2014 11:55 AM
Oct 2013
It was a great special with great animation. Wish they had this animation with the anime.
Aug 31, 2014 12:03 PM

Jul 2007
Ciara said:

As for anime fans, all of them are going to be spoiled now before they even get to that point in the anime which is kind of stupid if you ask me. This is a pretty huge manga reveal. The timing for this couldn't have been worse.
ArtimesGamerAug 31, 2014 12:07 PM

Aug 31, 2014 12:22 PM

Mar 2014
link9us said:
Ciara said:

As for anime fans, all of them are going to be spoiled now before they even get to that point in the anime which is kind of stupid if you ask me. This is a pretty huge manga reveal. The timing for this couldn't have been worse.

Like someone else said it was probably meant to get fans hyped up. Seeing a 5 second clip of Sabo would probably get you a bit excited if you were an anime only watcher. Also Sabo will appear in a month or 2 so its not that badly out of place.

I was also disappointed with it being Sabo. I thought they'd introduce the 7th Schichibukai. And a lot of people were saying Gear 4 or something.

Another thing to note is that after 18 months of training Luffy doesn't really seem that strong, he must have improved a lot in the last 6 months. I thought that they would have used his Conquerers Haki in this special.
Aug 31, 2014 12:39 PM

Nov 2013
holy fucking shit that was
at the end
Aug 31, 2014 12:52 PM
Nov 2009
Been taking a break from One Piece for a while now but I still loved this special episode.

Mihawk cutting that big-ass canon ball and the reveal of Sabo being alive at the end just made this special awesome.
Aug 31, 2014 1:37 PM

Aug 2010
Fun special :D Felt more like a movie tbh XD

Loved seeing Dere Dere Kawaii Hankock <3 Her "Kyaa" is adorable :3

Totally didn't expect Perona to be there with Mihawk XD And she was acting tsundere for Luffy :O Hancock being jealous of Perona thinking Luffy is cheating on her was so lol XD

Luffy's jacket was BA :D

Dat Hancock fanservice *A* and how she owned Nightin by acting cute was lol XD
No one could resist that Kawaii-ness XD

And finally someone said it XD U'r looking down on people too much to the extent ur looking up XD

Buggy must have enjoyed Bitch slapping Luffy XD As usual he got all the credit XD

Dat Red Hawk!!! O_O In EPIC Animation as it should have been long ago >.<!!

Holy Friggin Mihawk O_O

AND DAT FRIGGIN ED!!!! The song was good but what had me run down in GOOSEBUMPS WAS ADULT SABO!!!!!!!
Aug 31, 2014 2:02 PM

Mar 2011
I enjoyed this special for what it was. The fighting was good and well the fan service was really nothing bad to be honest, I have seen far worse in other anime.

I kind of liked the bad guy in the end, I wanted the cannon to hit >.<, but I guess Mihawk had to do something other than come and watch.

Hancock didn't get to do as much as I hoped. Luffy seemed to power up way to quickly, from one of the most one sided beatings he had received to overpowering him as they fought. But that is One Piece and how it goes and it was a special so had to be fast.

Red Hawk looked epic, curious to see if we will get an explanation to how it works, or if it will just be a 'go along with it' sort of attack. I guess along with the heat created from gear 2nd and the high speed from the haki it makes him catch fire? xD

Everyone calls the end clip a spoiler, but I can't even call it that. I am purely a anime watcher and I can honestly say anyone who didn't see that coming deserves to be spoiled.
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Aug 31, 2014 2:43 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
while watching:
Nooo!! Ace!!!!!!! T_T~
why show again all the teary moments of the crew?? T_T~~
Did Hancock seiyuu change for this?
also the animation had way too many things to point out lol
in a part the other pirate start talking and his mouth doesn't move, then when it does we see a hearth inside? lol
aah~ I've missed you Buggy :3 and why is 3 with you? I can't remember that happening, must be after Marinford
Mihawk!!!
how come when buggy was floating there where like 3 or 4 swimming looking alike? lol
oooh so it was that the famous ending? well true, it's a major spoiler....

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Aug 31, 2014 3:00 PM

May 2009
Sabo looks cool! Can't wait for him to make an appearance
Well that was kind of boring... At least the red hawk and buggy scenes were good
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 31, 2014 3:19 PM

Nov 2010
Ferolex said:
God.. I defend One Piece to death because I love it so much, but this was REALLY disappointing, just like the other specials... how can ANYONE think stuff like Film Z, Strong World and this are anything compared to the series? it's just two hours of really boring fights that are rushed... One Piece doesn't translate well in my opinion when it's only got two hours to complete a story...
Maybe your problem is you're comparing this to the series too much instead of looking at this as it's own thing.

OT: It was pretty good. My biggest problem was the size, I don't think it needed almost two hours. Knock off 20 minutes and it would be fine, and add another 10 for the beginning flashback as it felt a little too rushed. Though I have to say I really liked the art and animation, especially in the last fight. The new characters were nice too, their comedy and their designs. I really liked the oldest brother the most.
And what was with that ending? Seems different than normal. Bad guys die, his last attempt thwarted easily, he never understands his brother. I really do wonder what was his brother's explanation, it was never said.

BTW does anyone remember what song was played when Rayleigh and Luffy were at the fire in the end. I forget. And that was a nice song that they played as World was dying, is that a new track?

And did anyone notice the skull on Byojack's IV bag? It's the same as the one on Whitebeard's in the manga and similar to the one on Law's back in the Dressrosa arc. Some non canon foreshadowing perhaps?

IntroverTurtleAug 31, 2014 3:25 PM
Aug 31, 2014 3:30 PM
Jul 2014
They should use this animation for the tv series :( And wow, I'm surprised they showed that guy at the end.
Aug 31, 2014 3:39 PM

Apr 2013
Meh, I think what might be the spoiler you guys are talking, so just him come back :p
Aug 31, 2014 4:00 PM

Dec 2012
lol, flappy luffy. Luffy bird? fLuffy bird?

Good special, loved the animation. Hancock <3
Aug 31, 2014 4:06 PM

Aug 2011
IntroverTurtle said:

And did anyone notice the skull on Byojack's IV bag? It's the same as the one on Whitebeard's in the manga and similar to the one on Law's back in the Dressrosa arc. Some non canon foreshadowing perhaps?

I noticed that too, but it's more likely to be Doflamingo's
Aug 31, 2014 4:08 PM

Apr 2008
I was really waiting for this special eagerly and had high expectations but am disappointed ;(

the only thing I loved is what Mihawk did at the end .. and this!

Aug 31, 2014 4:28 PM

Nov 2010
MissKainan said:
IntroverTurtle said:

[img]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140126122248/onepiece/fr/images/5/5b/Donquichotte_Doflamingo_Jolly_Roger.png[/im g]
It's similar but none of those pics had the line. But when looking up about this I hit a manga spoiler and you could be kinda close especially if you
Aug 31, 2014 5:45 PM

Aug 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
MissKainan said:

It's similar but none of those pics had the line. But when looking up about this I hit a manga spoiler and you could be kinda close especially if you

Now you mention it Doflamingo being involved in the medical business doesn't make sense, it would be more likely that it's

The Whitebeard picture is from the manga was released in 2002. ...it would be crazy if it was planned HIM far back, although Oda is prone to doing so. O.o
Aug 31, 2014 6:13 PM

Nov 2010
MissKainan said:
Now you mention it Doflamingo being involved in the medical business doesn't make sense, it would be more likely that it's

The Whitebeard picture is from the manga was released in 2002. ...it would be crazy if it was planned HIM far back, although Oda is prone to doing so. O.o
Yeah that's the manga spoiler I stumbled onto. It sounds very possible that it's connected especially because of that design being similar to Don's.

When we're talking about Oda, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did.
Aug 31, 2014 6:35 PM

Aug 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
MissKainan said:

Yeah that's the manga spoiler I stumbled onto. It sounds very possible that it's connected especially because of that design being similar to Don's.

When you say 'manga spoiler', does that mean you don't read the manga?
If you don't, then I wouldn't say it's a massive spoiler, if all you know is what we both mentioned.
I hope you didn't watch the credits, that's a MASSIVE spoiler!
Aug 31, 2014 6:37 PM

Nov 2010
MissKainan said:
IntroverTurtle said:

When you say 'manga spoiler', does that mean you don't read the manga?
If you don't, then I wouldn't say it's a massive spoiler, if all you know is what we both mentioned.
I hope you didn't watch the credits, that's a MASSIVE spoiler!
Yeah, I'm not up to date with the manga. It's no biggie though.
I've known about that one since the day it was shown in the manga, no, before that. The cover story that had the cups was shown in some Japanese con like near the beginning of Dressrosa in the manga IIRC.
Aug 31, 2014 6:45 PM

Mar 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
MissKainan said:

It might just be a coincidence. Because Byojack had that same logo before World got captured. How long ago was World captured again?- OP wiki hasn't been updated yet. Wasn't it like 30 years or something? Doflamingo's 41 so if Corazon was alive he'd be 40 or under and 30 years ago he'd be 10 or under. So I doubt he'd have been such a well known doctor at that age.
Aug 31, 2014 6:49 PM

Nov 2010
Humza_96 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

It might just be a coincidence. Because Byojack had that same logo before World got captured. How long ago was World captured again?- OP wiki hasn't been updated yet. Wasn't it like 30 years or something? Doflamingo's 41 so if Corazon was alive he'd be 40 or under and 30 years ago he'd be 10 or under. So I doubt he'd have been such a well known doctor at that age.
Was the same logo really on there 30 years ago? Then again it could be just an inconsistency.
Aug 31, 2014 7:07 PM

Dec 2011
That was a good special. Although in my opinion, World is still stronger than Luffy at that moment. Also, didn't like how the Cipher Pol interfered instead. I always wanted to see old people go head to head with Garp.

Oh well, the villain setting is still well written.

Love the hug that Hancock did to Luffy. Didn't disappoint.

And also, hell yeah! Sabo pouring the sake cups at Ace grave. Seriously can't wait to see him in the canon anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2014 10:35 PM

Aug 2014
The first 2/3 of it bored me actually. The only thing that made me like it was the final battle and
AriGatou said:

yeah that scene. I was okay with Hancock's battle and the part where she actually hugged luffy was really nice, the only thing that ruined it for me was her torn dress giving us fanservice. They seriously need to tone the fanservice down.
Aug 31, 2014 10:51 PM

Jan 2014
Great special but something came in mind is that it says episode 1, so does that mean they will create episode 2 for like zoro/sanji or rest of the straw hat pirates?
Aug 31, 2014 10:54 PM

Jul 2011
That ending is such a damn spoiler!

It was OK. A little OOC for me, and power levels are unproportional still, but the ending made me fluffy so it works. I like the ending song.
Aug 31, 2014 11:14 PM

Jun 2010
Man Ace's scene still gets to me even though I've read it and watched it prolly over a dozen times. Otherwise I thought it was pretty damn good for a special, this definitely could've been a movie if the extended the training and flashback parts. Honestly I'm surprised we haven't heard anything for a movie for so long.
Aug 31, 2014 11:24 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Damn....sabo at the end, also ive been seeing people (mainly casuals) thats its a big spoiler....when obviously its not, its like a cloff hanger teaser thing which actually gave me goosebumps

overall i really loved the special, especially how well they did with making Luffy be more powerful than before, but not quite up to his standards from after the timeskip.
Sep 1, 2014 12:32 AM

Mar 2014
Animation was weird in some areas, but overall a great special. I put the series on hold because the current arc has too much fodder and filler, so this was a nice refreshment to see. 8/10
Sep 1, 2014 2:55 AM

Mar 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Humza_96 said:

Was the same logo really on there 30 years ago? Then again it could be just an inconsistency.

Yeah it was shown during the flashback when World saved Byojack after he got kidnapped.

Sep 1, 2014 3:34 AM

Nov 2012
I loved this special, it was well paced, the animation was nice and all of the characters were used well and in an interesting way. Compared to the dressrosa arc in the anime which is poor right now this felt like good old OP.

The end clip wasn't a spoiler for me as I had already been spoiled about a year ago in various comment sections, even if I didn't know I think that it was a cool hint to drop for anime-only viewers.
Sep 1, 2014 8:31 AM

Aug 2008
Boa rocks! I love Buggy and the gang. And oh yeah, adult Sabo made his anime debut! I can't wait to know who is going to voice him!!

I miss watching One Piece, the pace in the anime is just so awful that it's unbearable.
Sep 1, 2014 8:45 AM

Oct 2011
This special was great! Many of forgotten characters were showed up, and many of Oda gags made my laught. Of course it wasn't perfect but it was very enjoyable. Animation was great but I don't understand people who compare this special to Strong Wolrd movie or Z- yeah sure, it is long episode, but it has diffrent budget and in my opinion it shouldnt be comparing to another films.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk?

sheidesu - Sep 1, 2014

16 by 12manga »»
Oct 2, 2016 1:43 AM

» Ending song

chris5462 - Aug 31, 2014

5 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 19, 2015 12:08 PM

» Promo

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2014

10 by DarkAngelz »»
Aug 29, 2014 10:44 PM

» 3 New TV Spots Streamed

Humstolfoza - Aug 26, 2014

0 by Humstolfoza »»
Aug 26, 2014 7:06 AM

» Trailer #3

ainky - Aug 17, 2014

7 by xfero »»
Aug 20, 2014 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.