Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2012 1:56 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, I figured it was about time I got around to watching this remake since I liked the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA series well enough. It was a pretty good first episode, Linna seems to be the viewpoint character so far. But, going by the opening, I'm sure Priss will end up being in the drivers seat again before long.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 3, 2013 9:23 AM
Aug 2007
Hmmm.. OK first episode. It seems like it's starting off with only three Knight Sabers and Lina will join later.. In terms of the character designs and stuff, Lina is ok, Nene is missing her awesome pink hair and Sylia just looks down right weird and has a weird voice. Priss looked amazing though, and it sounded like the VA is the same or at least very close!

Didn't like the weird-ass, deep voiced, angry old man version of Leon though. And please don't tell me the glasses nerd next to him was supposed to be Daley -_-
Feb 22, 2016 3:01 PM

Jul 2010
Just watched the original so gonna take a while before I get used to these new character designs but I can say now that Priss is by far my favorite redesign. For some reason it feels like this Priss here looks more mature and Sylia looks less mature instead, like they kinda swapped.
Sep 24, 2016 11:39 AM

Dec 2009
I liked the first episode more than I thought but I'm already missing the old designs. I think the redesigns are bad though, I like the new style, especially for Priss. I am going to miss Nene's pink hair though.
Dec 6, 2016 2:07 AM
Jan 2015
I really like BGC 2032/2033 and it feel so different. The OST is way below the OAV's and the redesign is not that good.
WTF, I didn't recognize Nene (no pink hair :/), Sylia looks weird and immature, Priss is.... But we will see, it can't be that bad.
AP_974Dec 6, 2016 2:15 AM
Feb 6, 2018 7:21 AM

Mar 2016
Holy shit, three seconds into the opening and you just know this is going to be a lot of fun. If the original was everything 80s this is everything late 90s, someone knew what they were doing. It was a good first episode too.
Jul 14, 2019 3:52 PM

Mar 2017
Wow. I wasn't expecting the show to look and feel this different compared to the original OVAs.

Leon has changed completely. lol

That said, it was a good first episode. Will have to see how long it takes me to adjust to the new style.

Sep 10, 2019 2:30 PM

Sep 2018
I'm glad my OVA project kept me away from watching this for a while. I think if I had jumped into this right after watching the OVAs I would have been put off by how different it is, but with some distance I can view this for what it is. Anyhow, nice first episode, this has promise to be really good, perhaps even better than the OVAS. (Which while I did enjoy them, were very scattershot and not consistent in quality.)
May 1, 2021 2:24 PM

Aug 2017
The music is much "harder" than in the original, it seems. It also feels more haunting and cyberpunk. In short, very cool. Also, a space elevator!

That ED is quite...interesting looking.

Anyway, not listening to the detractors of BGC2040, looks nice so far.
Mar 12, 2022 3:06 PM

Nov 2016
So this series starts at a point before Linna joined the Knight Sabers. Ngl, if she hadn't been called by her name right away I wouldn't have recognized her at all. It may take a few episodes to get used to the new style, but it's classic 90s, which is easy on my eyes. It should work out well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 3, 2023 8:01 AM
Dec 2014
Surprisingly good and to the point. I like the new aesthetics, the elements of 90s club music creeping in are a great touch, the artstyle is cool...

The redesigns tho, oh boy. Priss looks great, I can accept Linna's new vibe, but what did they do to Nene's pink hair???

I think they tried to reinvent too much. Maybe they were a bit unsure about the clashing 80s haircuts in the 90s sci-fi aesthetics, but the end result is very NPC. Leon's companion is like they sucked all the gay twink energy out of it and now he's just a nerd.

But yea, aside from this (admittedly big) gripe, I liked it a lot.
Feb 5, 1:56 AM
Feb 2021
I agree that Nene's whole hair sitch is a tragedy, i hated the redesigns the first time i saw them but ive grown on them a lot. I'd argue that Leon's companion is still very gay but less of a twink. They triangled him. Honestly I thought that this show ended up inspired by early-2000s Kamen Rider shows but...it aired before all of them! So really it's kinda predictive

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Episode 26 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 10, 2012

15 by burbels »»
May 20, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Episode 21 Discussion

Cnon - May 3, 2019

3 by Cnon »»
Apr 27, 12:25 PM

» "One of thesE Night"

FreezingKaiju - Feb 5

4 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Episode 24 Discussion

Fronzel - Dec 10, 2013

5 by FreezingKaiju »»
Feb 10, 12:32 AM

» Drastic change in character design?

muggy8 - Dec 26, 2011

3 by Ionliosite2 »»
Feb 8, 2:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.