Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2011 10:30 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wait a second, Komugi is an antagonist?
I'm not liking where this is going, but I'll have to endure it for Komugi-chan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2011 1:07 PM
Sep 2011
I discovered the first episode of this show on youtube a long time ago and I remember how much it impressed me. Now after rewatching it it's just as impressive as it was back then. The abstract art is absolutely breathtaking, you really can see that Shinbo worked on this. The pacing in this episode is really fast but it didn't feel rushed to me for some reason.

There are so many questions flying in my head right now, why did Kyosuke turn into a mutant, who killed his mother and how is Shiro connected to all of this? I wonder if the mad doctor will stay dead...
May 3, 2012 8:32 AM

Jul 2011
Ahahahahahahaha!! I didn´t expect to find an anime that was full of epic BADNESS!
I´m gonna follow this to see how they will manage that seemingly (and painfully) low budget XD
Totentanz said:
The abstract art is absolutely breathtaking, you really can see that Shinbo worked on this.

No wonder Shinbo directed this. Another reason to watch!! :D
Sep 29, 2012 8:57 PM

Nov 2011
Dangerous episode is dangerous especially when the opening scene involves a mom in trouble.

I gotta admit here a bit that the girl (Maya) who saved and took Kyousake in is kinda hot. Well on second thought, probably not in the latter half of the episode. Other than that, this series is very peculiar but hell, I'll enjoy it.
Nov 25, 2012 12:38 PM

May 2010
This episode blew my mind with all that ridiculous art, it's artwork on the level of Petite Cossette. I can see that it will not appeal to the average anime fan though. It's too abstract for the typical otaku yet too otaku-oriented for the usual "intellectual" fan (you know, the guys who love shows like Lain and GiTS).

Even though I have the benefit of hindsight, I think I would have been able to predict this show's failure if it were to come out today. What a shame!
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 17, 2013 7:46 PM

Feb 2013
And so it begins...

This is my 2nd time watching this; it's been a while.

I do like the art. And you can tell this is one of Shinbou's works. (pre-Bakemonogatari head tilts and all, I almost wonder if Hitagi was based on Maya, they look a lot alike)

I have to admit, the theme song and shouting attack names is kinda cheesy, but everything else is top-notch.
Mar 15, 2015 12:51 AM

Jan 2010
I have no idea what just happened. No wait, I know what happened, but I don't know why the things I saw just happened. There was just scene jumping, inconsistent camera work, flashing lights, loads of crap happening with brief explanations, and an insistent refusal to use normal skin tones. At some point, I was wondering why it reminded me of Akiyuki Shinbou, but I thought I had just watched too many things from Shaft. Not everything artistically insane has Shinbou's name on it, right?

Then I looked at the show's staff and sighed and extremely long sigh. I actually do like his work, but it's a bit worrying how his style is so recognizable and, well, unchanging? I mean, I know Kenji Nakamura is there too, but seeing Shinbou's name just made me uneasy.
Mar 17, 2015 8:20 AM

Oct 2012
Holy shit, Shinbou turned up to 11 and his style is instantly recognizable. I can see why his style has been toned down so much as it's actually pretty hard to actually follow or even care about whats happening half the time.

I'm glad that this exists though as from a sheer art perspective, it's really fucking interesting to watch and when Jam Project made their appearance, with the MC screaming out his attack, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the whole thing, so I guess I'm enjoying myself.
KoybzMar 17, 2015 8:25 AM
Nov 25, 2015 7:55 AM

Sep 2012
WHAT IS HAPPENING
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Jan 7, 2016 8:54 PM
Aug 2011
Checked this out on a whim just so I could give Nurse Witch Komugi-Chan R a try because it's a airing in a couple of days. Which i'm sure it was even necessary, because Komugi-chan R seems like the furthest thing away from this. .__.

I hadn't noticed that it was directed by Shinbou... there's Jam Project and even Iwasaki Taku on the list. Oh man ahaha.

Well this episode I just have to say that Shinbou is gonna Shinbou is gonna Shinbou whether its 2001 or 15 years later.

Koybz said:
I can see why his style has been toned down so much as it's actually pretty hard to actually follow or even care about whats happening half the time.

I like how half of the things on the screen are always in perpetual shadows. I do enjoy the use of black bars.
standJan 7, 2016 9:08 PM
May 10, 2016 1:29 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Not exactly sure what is going on and if I'm ought to have knowledge about Nurse Witch komugi (though soultaker was made earlier..)

But so far seems like "Shaft" anime that ain't done by Shaft. Thus I'm loving the style.

Story seems to be some superpowers/test subject powers creations. And main guy? rescuing his twin sister? who has 2 entities.

But I'm kinda confused by why main guy ought to be so "weird" ? Well most of characters are right now "who is dat?"

*rewatched scene*
SO main guy is immortal who transforms into demihuman? So main guy is Araragi pretty much?

And twin sister is Senjougahara.

:/ Older "shaft" anime are so hard to keep track on.
Dec 8, 2018 7:23 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well... it sure is a Shinbou anime. What the hell did i just start.
That pacing went fucking fast... but i think i like what i've seen so far and kinda get whats going on... maybe.
I'll definitly keep going.
DatRandomDudeDec 8, 2018 7:27 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 15, 2019 4:24 AM

Dec 2016
Damn Shinbou really let shit just go crazy huh, almost makes you ask the question if there's such a thing as "too much aesthetic" lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 30, 2020 7:38 PM

Dec 2013
Edgy as fuck. Too bad I'm not 12 anymore.
Oct 23, 2020 4:49 AM

Jul 2016
Lol shinbou must've hooked into a dream sequence visualiser during an acid induced fever dream. I dont even know how to explain what i watched or even begin to comprehend this dizzy, nauseating, seizure inducing brain splat of an anime episode other than to chalk it up as a self parody on the part of shinbou
Nov 24, 2021 1:42 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
This was terrible....

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 19, 2022 5:59 AM
Apr 2015
hard to tell whats going on
Dec 19, 2023 5:30 PM

Dec 2022
These are some sexy visuals, and I'm already immersed in the crazy and enigmatic story that this anime seems to be promising. Hopefully it can keep this up.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 25, 11:08 AM

May 2020
Dark, chaotic and trippy. You have my attention!
I see. Your only option is to revolutionize the world.

More topics from this board

Poll: » SoulTaker Episode 13 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Aug 4, 2011

9 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 20, 2023 1:42 AM

Poll: » SoulTaker Episode 12 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Aug 3, 2011

4 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 20, 2023 12:34 AM

Poll: » SoulTaker Episode 11 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Aug 3, 2011

4 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 20, 2023 12:03 AM

Poll: » SoulTaker Episode 10 Discussion

BurntJelly - Sep 23, 2013

1 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 19, 2023 11:33 PM

Poll: » SoulTaker Episode 9 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Aug 2, 2011

4 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 19, 2023 10:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.