Forum Settings
Forums

Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

New
May 20, 8:10 AM
Jul 2023
Does anyone feel like European Anime setting easier to get into than the Japanese setting in Anime?
May 20, 8:19 AM

Oct 2018
Actually, I believe African setting is even easier.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 20, 8:19 AM

Jun 2017
Not necessarily!!!
Other aspects have a greater impact on how much I can get into it!!! Like characters and plot!!!
But I guess that depends on the person!!!
Nothing more to add!!!

May 20, 8:20 AM

Feb 2020
It depends on your own preferences.
May 20, 8:46 AM

Dec 2015
It all depends as when it comes to Medieval Europe than there's quite stuff lacking tho they try, nowadays European is barely present I don't even know which title so far is in modern Europe.

As a person who lives in Europe for me it is a good setting as that's my reality.

Although I still like alot other settings.
May 20, 8:52 AM

Sep 2016
You mean medieval European fantasy settings? Yes
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 20, 8:58 AM

Aug 2013
Any setting is easy to get into if the story is well told.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima
May 20, 10:36 AM

Feb 2016
I wouldn't say that. I did have an easy time getting into Black Butler, Gosick, and The Rose of Versailles. But I just as easily got into several shows set in Japan.
その目だれの目?
May 20, 11:07 AM

Aug 2017
No, you're the only one. In fact, you're watching Anime for the wrong reasons if you are into foreign settings.

That's like saying someone are into American films with foreign settings.

It's easier to be into Anime with Japanese setting for obvious reasons. They know their own turf more than any foreign. It's just common sense.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 20, 11:50 AM

Jul 2013
Well, I dont like Europe very much tbh...so it does not really matter imo...
May 20, 12:02 PM
Aug 2018
I'm used to Japanese settings, plus when I started watching anime, most of the shows were set in Japan. And I'm from Asia, so that helps with relating.

But European settings are also easy to get into too.
May 20, 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
Maybe if you mostly watch dubs. I've always felt dubs usually worked better when the majority of the characters have western names.
May 20, 12:21 PM

Jul 2013
Europe is lousy...like the rest of the world tbh...
May 20, 7:15 PM

Jun 2014
Not really.

If anything, a European fantasy setting leads me to assume the show is another generic fantasy isekai.
May 20, 7:36 PM

Jun 2020
Define "European", cause most that I see in Anime are very generic sterilized versions of French, German, and English medieval settings, with some occasional Italian and a sprinkle of Spain and Russia. All other actually interesting countries in Europe are unrepresented.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
May 20, 8:04 PM

Jun 2011
As a huge fan of Victorian era setting, I completely agree. I love Japanese setting too but more about their countryside culture, not their city culture.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 20, 8:23 PM

Aug 2010
It doesn't really matter to me as much as the time period. Historical period is harder for me to get into, and I feel like most anime sets in Europe sets in historical era, so usually they're not easy for me to get into.
May 20, 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
No, unless you are talking about dubs.
May 20, 8:40 PM

Jan 2021
I think the typical Japanese urban/suburban setting is the easiest to get into, especially if you're a fan of the more laid back anime, but anime with a European inspired setting, particularly medieval Europe, are still easy to get into because there's a lot that can be done with them, and many people are familiar with it to some degree.

I think modern European settings would be harder to get into, though not many anime have tried it. One that does come to mind is the Ancient Magus Bride, which is set mostly in England I believe.

May 20, 9:05 PM

Aug 2010
I've never been picky about settings, so no. I do enjoy the rare anime that takes place in the States though.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

May 20, 9:29 PM

Jul 2016
Europe setting gives me classy vibes, dunno about easier to get into lol.
May 21, 12:02 AM

May 2018
"Are European anime settings easier to get into!"

Since those are japanese interpretations of european settings, they are usually kind of baffling.
May 21, 12:17 AM

Mar 2023
I guess for most people a European setting is easier since we get like 20 DnD copies every month.
May 21, 1:20 AM

Nov 2023
Both setting is the same to me, is just that europe is more Jarring for the japenese dub
May 21, 1:46 AM
May 21, 10:47 AM

Jul 2013
Give me examples of European anime...such as??
May 22, 6:42 PM

Feb 2021
Not sure, I find them to be boring most of the time.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 24, 8:22 PM

Aug 2019
I'm struggling to even think of an anime series with a European setting that blew me away. It's easier to list off series that are in Japan, because obviously a lot more take place there.

More topics from this board

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

90 by -rojazu- »»
6 minutes ago

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - 8 hours ago

23 by mshfqtny »»
12 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

85 by billybub »»
20 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

26 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
36 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

40 by FanofAction »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.