Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
More reminiscing and exploring the dynamics between family and human/non-human relationships. It's a recurring theme that's been a core of this show.

I love the emotional tone they did for this episode though. It made it look real and the chereography captured a lot of emotions.
May 18, 12:50 PM

Mar 2021
This was a really touching episode full of emotional scenes the Choreography was just spot on, I liked that Mutsumi loves Jiro so much that she just wants to protect him.
Reecey91May 18, 12:53 PM
May 18, 1:08 PM

Apr 2022
Grandpa is bi?! Oh my, that's some unexpected lore. Could he... with his car..?
May 18, 2:05 PM
Feb 2024
I'd kind of known in my head that different Yokai have the potential to live longer, but I never thought they would actually address it.
No wonder it's a hard subject to bring up- no one really wants to think about how they'll outlive their loved ones.
Every single relationship in this anime is so incredibly beautiful.
Nami and Kazu had such an amazing relationship, I'm so sad for them.
I don't know how this anime manages to be so wholesome but so deep at the same time.
May 18, 4:32 PM
May 2017
An stupendous episode!

Love and relationship between beings with different life expectancies.

Jirou has a new love.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 18, 5:17 PM
Nov 2023
It’s strange how huge Frieren was, yet a show exploring the same themes using Japanese Shinto and Buddhist theology rather than D&D fantasy lore can be so overlooked. It has a really heartwarming way of building relationships and showing them all caring deeply for each other without being contrived or cheesy. I’m surprised it translates so well for us westerners, but I’m glad it’s written so well that it works.
May 18, 5:17 PM

Sep 2020
Next week's episode should be another deep dive into Jirou's past, can't wait to see it.
May 18, 5:22 PM

Nov 2012
hmmmm... I think Jiro loved great granny. He always seems lonely.

I wonder why Jiro and his grandad are the only tengu around.
May 18, 5:24 PM
Oct 2010
Oof, even more heavy themes this time round, but an interesting look at how the various long-lived yokai approach the subject of living with different times from humans/shorter-lived yokai.
May 18, 5:40 PM

Jan 2010
nice cute story about wagen-s owners, nothing much to say since she just die of old age and can't be helped it happens and she lived a happy life.

on the other story great grandma looked like mu-chan as a child and for the looks of it jiro was in love with her or at least he was really close to her like he is with mu-chan. And mu-chan is learning what a crush is.
May 18, 7:02 PM

Feb 2019
so i'm guessing jiro fell in love with mu-chan's great-grandma way back when, or was it the grandma before her great-grandma? hmm...
May 18, 7:25 PM
Feb 2020
What can i say man its another great episode.

I do wonder did Namiko-san died cuz that plant at her old home withered?And is that just hers or been around for the whole lineage?As always theres a hook in each rps to look forward to like Jiro and great grandma.
May 18, 10:15 PM

Dec 2021
It was nice to finally learn a bit more about the wife of the old couple. I'm always drawn to stories about couples who have lived together for decades.

I'm curious about his relationship with Mutsumi's great-grandma. Maybe he was in love with her?

May 19, 12:07 AM

Feb 2021
The difference in age of humans and yokai is quite big...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 19, 7:13 AM

Jun 2019
If I wasn't already leaning toward "shipping" Mutsumi with Jirou then I would say that I definitely do now, although maybe as a harbored wish and prospect for the future rather than any drastic change in the nature of their exact actual relationship right now. She's a little young for romance since she's around like nine or 10 years-old, I believe? Also part of me worries if they pursue that at any point in the future that Jirou as a long-lived tengu with a tender heart is bound to get it broken all over again. He already seems like he's living in a constantly ebbing and flowing melancholy.

But I like that this show goes there to explore their feelings - it really reminds me of a snapshot of a moment in time, a very passing and fleeting, wispy, delicate one in people's lives. They're all different ages and have different lifespans (and nothing is guaranteed in terms of how long they will actually live in spite of their projected average life expectancy, the same as all living things in anime or outside of it), but all are going through various different things some of which may be temporary and transient psychological states, like grieving for loss, which, in spite of how neat and pretty some may wish to present it, is something which often can't be measured in days or weeks, but can go on for many years, even if not in a loud and showy, overtly visible way.

This series captures and showcases well those passing feelings and moments, including clashing ones between the same circle of friends or family members who are going through different things because of different ages and life situations. Like Mutsumi's difficult-to-verbalize affections - Is it a temporary childhood crush, a platonic familial love, a long-entrenched and deep-seated romance which will blossom in full in the future, the love for a friend, or some combination of these or something else entirely she (and I) can't put to words right now? That's the beauty of it; that she doesn't really have to know and decide right now. This is the age where summer vacation (school break) seems like it lasts a century. And the preciousness of some of these emotions and sentiments, fears and worries/anxieties in their inevitable transience comes through well. Everything about the series gives me heavy wabi-sabi undertones.

felixsifuri said:
Could he... with his car..?

Give him a lube job?
WatchTillTandavaMay 19, 7:31 AM
May 19, 7:49 AM

Apr 2022
WatchTillTandava said:
Give him a lube job?

omg that's so romantic
May 19, 1:58 PM

Nov 2013
Heavy episode. Depressing talk about death, and how Youkai deal with it. Jirou in particular must be having it so hard. And, as it's heavily hinted, he may have had feelings for Mutsumi's great grandma, and may have given her a promise he couldn't keep (that's why he says sorry so often I'd assume). Poor Jirou... And, to think eventually he'll likely outlive Mutsumi too. Sad and depressing indeed. He needs more "immortal" friends to cope better.
May 19, 5:36 PM

Apr 2012
I'm increasingly beginning to suspect that the anime is using the youkai theme as a metaphor for the difficulties of real life. The ability to survive your loved ones, a homosexual or bisexual lifestyle, the formation of friendships by socially inexperienced people, expectations from relatives, etc. I've always liked this approach because it combines a social realist message with mythology. Also, Mutsumi VA really shows a good performance despite the fact that this is only her first leading role.

@felixsifuri Compared to how the anime depicted his relationship with his wife, his gay car relationship is strikingly platonic.
RobertBobertMay 19, 5:40 PM
May 19, 10:52 PM
Mar 2015
Excellent view of the difference in aging between youkai and human through the eyes of the characters
May 29, 3:36 PM

Jul 2021
"I love him, but... it's not like... hrngh. Right now, it's more like.. hrg. When I see him, my chest tenses up, like it does when I feel sad."

Mutsumi eloquently describing how I feel about the show's more dramatic moments, especially her and Jiro's relationship.

I love this character, it's startling how real she comes across sometimes, in her words, feelings and mannerisms.
Jun 8, 11:20 PM

Jul 2017
Both Buchio and Wagen having the time of their lives, and especially when the latter's seen through Kazuhiko and Namiko's relationship that changed after the latter's natural passing, the former gets all worried about life and death, the difference of lifespans really hits him hard. As for the reminiscing of Wagen's memories of the once couple's life, it was a bittersweet meet and a reunion after circumstances, as well as Wagen being their car of choice. But Namiko being a descendant of the Basho flower, it's safe to say that she died of natural old age, something which Wagen now has the responsibility to uphold and cherish his remaining years of life.

Back to Mutsumi and Jiro, fixing the barrier on the great cedar tree is one thing, but to remember her great-grandmother of all people which brings back bad memories, because he once cherished her in one way or another. Mutsumi now also realizing that she loves Jiro like no other, it's more an affection of love, as much as Chiyo is worried about them both.

The fraility of life, hits hard.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - 2 hours ago

2 by Reecey91 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15

23 by Avvenirista »»
Jun 18, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25

27 by Selleri_UmU »»
Jun 15, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 8

19 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 15, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

22 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jun 14, 8:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.