Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
A sports day theme episode and we got a spiritual fox. This one felt it had more energy compared to the first one.

Some of the cast has more charisma than I had anticipated and they're keeping the show's themes refreshing. I'm looking for more and so far, another solid episode imo.
Apr 13, 10:29 AM

Feb 2020
Not a fan of that random romantic subplot *yawn*, but otherwise a nice episode.

Poor Yuri. I wonder what happened to her in her past.

Betobeto-san's mini car was cute. :3

I can't wait to see how the dark plot is going to develop.

SerafosApr 13, 11:39 PM
Apr 13, 1:20 PM

Nov 2023
Very good episode. ^_^

Loving the characters
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Apr 13, 2:04 PM
Sep 2015
The countryside vibe gives me a feeling that despite its peaceful appearance, the calamity can suddenly happen at any minute. This is the world that I want to spend my final years of life in, but there's also a risk that come with it.
Apr 13, 2:04 PM

Mar 2021
Another fantastic and sweet episode this show is so chill and the characters are so lovable.
Apr 13, 2:56 PM

Jul 2017
Solid little episode again and I have to say, this isn't the sexiest title or one that stands out a lot but it's fairly reliable, consistent and wholesome with a little dash of intrigue in the more darker elements teased. Although some of the interactions can feel a bit bland at times, still feel like this has been a decent start to the season for this show. Don't think it is a great one just yet but do feel like there is room for improvement as the series progresses.
Apr 13, 4:13 PM

Mar 2016
Not a bad episode by any means, but I can’t say I found myself any bit invested considering how vanilla these characters and interactions are.
Then again, Natsume’s Book of Friends set too high a bar for me nowadays with these sorts of youkai-centric setups.
Apr 13, 4:32 PM
Jan 2022
great episode, I like the interactions between them, plus I think it's good that they're focusing on other secondary characters, developing them
Apr 13, 4:45 PM

Feb 2019
each one of them has a sad backstory that they don't wanna talk about or can't talk about. and hanako-san's right on the money knowing what rain came to see her about lol
Apr 13, 4:55 PM

Sep 2020
We need to talk about Betobeto-san's cool minicar.
I think it's designed after one of the old Fiat 500 convertible models.
Apr 13, 5:27 PM
Oct 2010
This one does a lot of mood whiplash, from wholesome to creepy to sweet to terrifying and all sorts in-between. Each episode is like the Russian roulette with bite-sized foods anime has every now and then, from moment to moment you don't know what flavor you're going to get. Fun stuff.
Apr 13, 5:30 PM
May 2017
Reply to Avvenirista
We need to talk about Betobeto-san's cool minicar.
I think it's designed after one of the old Fiat 500 convertible models.
@Avvenirista You are right, it is a scaled down 1957-1975 Fiat Cinquecento (500). A cute car.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 13, 5:32 PM
May 2017
An excellent episode! How not to love this anime series?
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 13, 10:03 PM

Sep 2021
The tonal shifts are crazy. One moment it's a cute interracial school slice of life, the next we have albino snakes abducting a little girl...

However, I just love this style! The pacing is great and there's so much to be told in this world!
Apr 14, 12:44 AM

Nov 2023
I love Slice of Life anime. They are the best for relaxing when you feel a bit down.
In this case they also seem to be cooking something emotional, which is always a plus in my book.
Apr 14, 4:17 AM
Oct 2021
i’m loving all the characters and their back stories
Apr 14, 5:33 AM

Nov 2013
Another beautiful episode. Love how this has everything. It's wholesome, cute, intriguing, ominous.

I wonder if Nekomata Buchio is Mutsumi's reincarnated dad perhaps?

Apr 14, 4:25 PM

Jul 2021
I can't, I just CANNOT believe what I'm seeing. Such a beautiful and intriguing show.

It looks like nothing special, and "nothing really happens," but I feel there's something pure and simple underneath.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
I wonder if Nekomata Buchio is Mutsumi's reincarnated dad perhaps?

That's actually a crazy idea. I'm not sure about straight-up reincarnation, but I feel like there's a definite connection. All yokai supposedly have a purpose, and Mutsumi had a hole in her life.
perseiiApr 14, 4:28 PM
Apr 14, 4:49 PM

Jun 2019
Yes, it's difficult to overstate how pleased I am having another series like this which seems very in the vein of Flying Witch or Hakumei to Mikochi come out. Although this is a lot more dramatic, both overtly and in subtle cues and framing of certain happenings, than either of those, which (the dramatic factor) is also something I love. Not that I think those other two needed more drama or emotional weight. Flying Witch specifically is my favorite iyashikei Slice of Life and like what I consider the gold standard of iyashikei precisely for its absence of drama, romance, or even overly present or jarring comedy. That's a unique thing in and of itself of how calm and lowkey it was.

This is more like a cross between either of those series and something like Zettai Shounen or Mushishi, where the presence of death and loss and burden of time and mystery is more felt. Though comfortably relegated to the fringes a nice amount of the time when more calm conversations and relaxed antics can be indulged in.

It's also weird how this small valley community almost feels like the only place in the world in a both simultaneously isolated and cozy way, like a town on the edge of oblivion similar to Glie.

This may be the first time I'm watching one from among that subset of SoL as a seasonal.
WatchTillTandavaApr 15, 2:11 PM
Apr 14, 6:05 PM

Dec 2021
Those athletic day events were something else, oh my god. First, there were those floating mouths catching children, and then there was a volunteer Yuuki casually giving small children frostbite, all to the cheers of the crowd.

Mutsumi and Jirou have a really sweet relationship, but the shadows consuming people are adding an even darker layer to this story.

Apr 15, 11:57 AM
Sep 2014
I really agree with the comments here stating that it feels really solid, though I got a bit put off by the sudden scope expansion from "pets rebirthed as youkai are very rare" to "every second person at school is a youkai". It was a dramatic change in how common youkai are in the second episode, and considering how old youkai seems to become there's some explaining needing to be done.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to this, seemingly one of the few this season.
Apr 15, 4:58 PM
Jul 2021
“Because imaginary things are drawn to each other”
What?!? Like. Who is he referencing here? O_O
As slice of life as this show is, I feel like there is something very dark beneath the surface. Maybe I am seeing more darkness than there is. But. I am getting all sorts of “uh-oh” vibes from this show. I am having alarm bells go off.
Apr 16, 1:24 PM
Nov 2021
Questionable words of wisdom at the end there. Maybe don't tell the curious child who has an aptitude for perceiving the supernatural, that while dangerous, youkai secretly long for companionship. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
Apr 18, 1:09 AM
Mar 2012
Cat philosophy hmm. Hanako consultation fun & the Kappa & boy. Kitsune even more scary now.
another yuki onna of the season. Betobeto interesting origin story.
such weird mix of wholesome, chillax, conflict, abstract & dark mysteries.
Apr 22, 7:56 PM

Jul 2017
It's nice seeing Buchio getting along with all of the other Yokai and humans, as such with the backyard dinner at Yuri's place, but at the same time, questioning his existence, of which he still has aways to go.

That said, the romance between a human and a kappa Yokai, between Sano Ryo and Rain Nakagawa, having to put all that love and attention into the athletic festival, they're for sure trying, but they'll get there. And with the actual sports day, Nakagawa giving her best is all that matters.

As for Mutsumi, her being almost close to being deranged against the darkness, it's thankful that Jiro came in time to save her out from danger. Even with Yuri, Buchio asking a senseless question to which Yuri flares up against her own circumstances, it's definitely a polar opposite situaiton where Tanaka is there for her and hearing out her issues.

The black miasma of where Betobeto used to be from, the shadows of loneliness and scary things, it's just of note for now, but who knows what it'll bring.
May 9, 6:49 AM

Feb 2021
A yokai that is hiding in the shadow alone...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 1, 12:45 PM
Jul 2019
I absolutely despair of many of the people who use MDL.

This is easily one of the best anime of 2024, and to see a ridiculously low 7.0 out of 10 rating is incredibly disheartening, yet absolute garbage shounen crap easily get an 8.5.

Are most people on here 13-year-old boys?
Jun 29, 7:05 PM
Mar 2019
So many youkai's around when i though there was only a few.
Even the Teacher is one.

More topics from this board

» What are these vibes based on?

Tenderizer79 - Sep 9

2 by CirceOwO »»
Sep 9, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 29

55 by TechOtaku »»
Aug 21, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 22

23 by Bisalissy »»
Jul 29, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11

21 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jul 4, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15

25 by bushman66 »»
Jun 30, 1:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.