Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 9:02 AM

Nov 2011
I find it interesting that among all the eerie moments, the insight into Jinka's past and his morality is one of the more appealing parts of the show.

Not saying he's carrying the show but he's definitely more interesting than some of the other characters. Speaking of which, the others had their hands full dealing with soldiers. No one can catch a break in this show it seems...
Jan 24, 9:05 AM

Feb 2021
Hey, forums work now, nice

The OP is so damn beautiful, I can't get enough of it
Eiroku 7 is 1564
4:38 樹翁鞭 (juouben) - lit. "tree venerable old man whip"

Now we know the reason why Jinka hates humans. Looks like he was raised by Katawara.
There is a scene after credits.
Really liked this episode.

I never found Shinsuke annoying, so I'm enjoying this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 24, 9:06 AM

Jul 2017
For Tama, her being a youko has limits when she transmits her magic to Jinka, which he is one step short of becoming a katawara, who's still on the onslaught of Dangaisyuu's leaders who're on the verge of spiritually enhanced humans in the castle that Shakugan has spoken of. And that castle is a fortress which knocked Jinka unconscious and returned its power to Tama, which Shinsuke is a fool enough to stop the monk who's transformed into a spiritually enhanced human, that Shakugan has her memories back from before.

All along, Jinka has lived amongst monsters, one of which was his guardian that protected it from the humans, which the castle Taizen and its shikigami spirit Yazen has sent assassins his way. And despite Shakugan having retrieved her memories and remembering how she got the enhanced power, Shinsuke still chases after her knowing an inkling or two of empathy, seeing her as a human and not a monster.

The reassurance that Jinka can protect all 3 entities: human, hybrids and demons, things take a turn in the forthcoming Eiroku Year 7. How that will translate to goals and objectives, it remains to be seen.
Jan 24, 10:27 AM
Aug 2020
it was a good episode

we had some good backstory

i'm ready for the next one...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 24, 10:27 AM

Jan 2018
Jinka is actually a human after all. I was thinking he might be a half-breed or something. He might still be tho. But he's a human who was raised by a katawara but humans killed his katawara guardian. Which is why he resents humans. Understandable but not right.

So, Jinka wants to be a full katawara. This series is more like Inuyasha than I thought. Inuyasha wanted to be a full demon and Jinka wants to be a full katawara. I'm glad that we know more about Jinka now. But I'm sure there's more to him that's yet to be revealed.

Tama actually has both human ears and fox ears when Jinka's transformed? Weird. Also, in her flashback, it seems like she also had a connection with a human before. I wonder what her relationship with that man was and if he was the one who made her appreciate humans.

Shaku got her memories back and it's not pretty. She's probably going through an existential crisis now. Thankfully Shinsuke helped her with her pain.

Tama and the others pissed off those warrior monks and now they'll send assassins after them. I think the prologue is finally over and the main story will start now. Looking forward to it.
0451Jan 24, 10:30 AM
Jan 24, 10:40 AM
Jul 2023
And the adventure begin.

The theme of power is the focal point of the story, each character have fitting attributes corresponding to their goals.

The power giver, the power hunger, the powerless and the guilt of power.
Jan 24, 12:30 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Feels like we got through the prologue portion of this historical fantasy series now that most of the main cast has been introduced.
Jan 24, 1:29 PM

Feb 2019
So Jinka is basically this season’s adonis. Just less edgier lol.. can’t get over how good the OP is either!

Nice glimpse into his backstory prior to meeting Tama. Being raised by a kind Katawara and then seeing him killed brutally by humans understandably left a very sour taste in Jinka’s mouth, setting him on his path to become a full fledged Katawara.

This was the most interesting reveal so far. I thought Jinka might be a half breed or somehow biologically related to Tama.. his quest to become a full Katawara reminds me a lot of Inuyasha. Was already getting strong vibes of that old school toonami stuff from this series and now it’s even stronger.

Jinka’s backstory of being raised by a Katawara is contrasted with Tama’s, who had a very close relationship with a human. She’s seen the good they’re capable of while Jinka has seen the awful stuff.

We got a chance to see one of the successful spirit enhancement experiments take on Jinka. Of course Jinka easily overpowered him, but if the monks have an army of ones even stronger than that, could be a problem

Glad Shakugan regained her memories sooner rather than later. Understandably distraught at the thought of killing so many people, but it’s not like she knew the full extent of the experiment she was participating in and willingly signed up. The monks pray on the poor and vulnerable offering them an out from horrible conditions with half baked information. Those deaths are on them 🤷🏾‍♂️

Can’t help but laugh at her breaking down about the people she killed, while running and leaving Shinuske hanging from a cliff lmao. Maybe she saw it was a short distance from the cliff to the ground?

So far the story has focused around the concept of power. The one with power(Tama), the one who wants power(Jinka), the powerless(Shinsuke) etc. I wonder how everything is going to go now that the monks are sending assassins after the group. The story is really about to pick up!
Marinate1016Jan 24, 1:34 PM
Jan 24, 1:31 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yeah looks good; we got some good development in this episode, I think I'll keep watching.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 24, 3:52 PM

Dec 2021
So, there are monks who've actually mastered the spirit-enhancing process and can control their transformations. I had this idea that Shaku was some kind of test run or prototype.

It's no wonder Jinka has this intense dislike for humans. His beloved big fluffy friend got killed just because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And now, it looks like Jinka has to step up his game if he wants another shot at that temple and Yazen.

Jan 24, 4:25 PM
Sep 2021
This show would be much better without Shinsuke. He’s so annoying
Jan 24, 5:45 PM

Oct 2022
This started really... attention-grabbing, but now I'm kinda interested about their world.

That was a very light take on the slimes. I bet there will be another instance later on that goes more indepth.

Jan 24, 6:18 PM

Mar 2015
i know this story has a slow start (big fan of the manga) but i'd say this was the first "good" episode, some interesting character interactions, developments, and mizukami-isms sprinkled throughout. i agree with those saying we're closing out on the "setup" portion here, finally getting some backstory and a firm foundation for these characters to develop further.

and that includes shinsuke! i've seen some people disliking him and i get why, his character is meant to be a bit annoying and helpless, but his lack of power is a core aspect of his character here. i'm not saying i love every scene he's in but a couple have gotten me to smile, and his brash emotion is what's needed here to calm shakuyaku down, something that the other two probably wouldn't have bothered with. he's got the most favorites on MAL of any of the characters from this story and while he's not my overall favorite (we'll get there...), those stats aren't just derived he's from him being a "haha this guy is funny and pathetic" character-give him a chance!
nyahgustJan 24, 6:23 PM
Jan 24, 7:41 PM
Mar 2015
The human part katawara and 2 part human part katawara fight against the monks who are turning people into katawara
Jan 24, 8:14 PM

Oct 2022
Very emotional, everyone seeks power to be free but it always comes with a cost
UndefeatedBahamut
Jan 24, 8:27 PM

Jul 2021
Oh, so that was the "end of prologue". Only now I see what they're trying to say (it got a little on the nose towards the end, but I'll take it). I think I'm on board now. I even felt bad for Shinsuke.

I hope the story can stay focused without getting distracted or annoying.

P.S. I smirked when Jinka said "there's something different about this man" at the bad guy. I was thinking "yup, can't mistake that voice, that's Mr. Tsuda".

Jan 24, 9:04 PM

Jul 2008
Okay now we got the background on everyone. Time to fight the evil monks!
Jan 24, 9:50 PM
Dec 2017
trash tier anime.
Jan 25, 12:03 AM

Oct 2022
The story keeps getting better. Poor Jinka...
Jan 25, 12:33 AM

Dec 2022
Didn't like the start but it's gaining some depth. It'll be interesting to see where the wind blows for this group of scarred misfits.
Jan 25, 2:56 AM

Dec 2022
I thought the pacing this episode was good. Fights are okay but nothing special. OP is really a banger.

So at least the monks were not lying that spiritual modified humans are accepted as comrades and Shakugan's case is basically an accidental worst case scenario.

Jan 25, 6:05 AM
Oct 2019
Each characters got their motivation now.
Let's go!!
Jan 25, 6:17 AM

Dec 2022
The mutual tears at the end was pretty touching. Shakugan was bound to remember eventually, or at least find out what happened, so it might as well have happened in a time and place that Shinsuke could offer his tearful emotional support.
Jan 25, 11:16 AM
Jul 2023
Not eating sashimi made of people is only another plus point to my favorite man in the series. My boy Shinsuke does try his very best to the most he can but he still falls face first and ass up, and that is Atsushis move.
Jan 25, 5:29 PM

Oct 2016
I now see why the 3-episode rule is a thing. This episode was way more interesting than the last two, and got me more invested in all of these characters. Shinsuke was kind of annoying before, but I’m sensing hints of a good backstory with him. Learning more about Jinka made me understand why he hates humans so much. I can’t wait to see what else this show has coming. (8/10)
Jan 25, 6:03 PM

Apr 2016
This will end up as an underrated hidden gem
Jan 26, 2:39 AM
Mar 2019
So the first three episodes were an introductory three parter to the fantasy world.
Jan 26, 6:50 AM

Jan 2017
Hehhh this anime really looks cool. And all of the characters past stories seemed really interesting that I think they balance the show overall. And I really like Jinka tbh. Looking forward to more episodes! ❤️️❤️️❤️️
Jan 26, 11:07 AM
Sep 2014
The thing with Mizukami Satoshi is that all his series start out as some kind of cliché harem or generic whatever. You never really expect the greatness that comes creeping through the series, and this often surprises you when you least expect it, as you suddenly realize that the small details here and there has painted a complex pictures of the initially seemingly shallow characters. So I can understand how people who doesn't know his stories might expect this to be yet another cookie cutter boring adventure, completely devoid of character development or originality - as so many shows has been lacking these qualities especially the last five years or so.
Jan 26, 12:50 PM

Sep 2015
I feel conflicted about continuing to watch this or not. On one hand, I feel I am simply too old for this, and the prospect of committing to 37 episodes of it seems daunting. But I am starting to like where the story is headed, and I am intrigued to see what will happen from now on.

And, hey, we also got a Kenjiro Tsuda voiced villain!! You can't go wrong with that.
Jan 26, 1:18 PM
Oct 2016
Its kinda sad when majority only give this 6/7, but its kinda understandable since the only one who rate 10/10 is the one who have read the manga.. its literally one of the best manga i have read, the chara development, the journey, the twist is not something that usual series have.. That one scene in the end of the manga where
gives me shiver everytime i re-read it.. please give it try!
Jan 26, 3:13 PM

Aug 2023
Ok this episode definitely had me more hooked than the others. I am loving Tama and her motivation to connect both sides combined with the dynamic of her complete opposite brother. His intentions seem much more intense and violent, however I hope this will be resolved within the series. Shinsuke also seems like a nice man, although he has not added too much to the plot yet.
Jan 26, 5:30 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
It’s slowly, but surely starting to interest me. Looking forward to next weeks episodes
Jan 26, 5:46 PM

Sep 2021
Suffering builds character. Suffering builds character. Suffering - you know.

Many sad backstories here, or at least a glimps of them. Overall it's still much like a prologue and with three cours, it's okay if the show takes it's time. It's decent enough to keep going, but I hope it will at some point go further than just basic action.
Jan 27, 8:00 AM

Mar 2019
This episode was much better than the first 2, which wasn't too difficult either haha.
Ps: this opening is fucking amazing, Mindaryn never disappoints!
Jan 28, 10:32 AM
Jan 2023
AhmedJafar1 said:
I feel conflicted about continuing to watch this or not. On one hand, I feel I am simply too old for this, and the prospect of committing to 37 episodes of it seems daunting. But I am starting to like where the story is headed, and I am intrigued to see what will happen from now on.

And, hey, we also got a Kenjiro Tsuda voiced villain!! You can't go wrong with that.

If it helps, this is a complete adaptation. So if you decide to stick around, you're getting the full story.
Jan 30, 6:28 AM

Jun 2014
I hope Shinsuke improves soon. At the moment he is by far the worst part of the show, and I could see this being another case where he ruins the entire show for me like how Zenitsu made Demon Slayer unwatchable.
Jan 30, 10:50 PM

Jun 2015
This is the best anime this season. I love everything about this from the setting, the characters, the animation, the artstyle, the voice acting, the Main Characters, the plot, the music, to Everything!!!
Read Toriko!
Mar 25, 11:06 PM

Feb 2019
they make for an eclectic group, that's for sure lol
Apr 1, 3:22 PM

Jun 2020
For now the only problem for me is I feel like characters superficially written I hope it’s get better
Apr 5, 5:40 PM
Mar 2019
They do love giant fists as weapons.
Jinka's master died protecting him.
Apr 13, 4:23 PM
Jun 2022
Have Fun With Your Hunting , Sayonara Youko!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21

82 by NirvashX1 »»
May 26, 8:03 AM

» Low score

TheRealRouges - May 18

9 by KayKimii »»
May 18, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 28

35 by wildhood »»
May 17, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko: Yonaoshi Kyoudai-hen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 3

65 by Sugram22 »»
May 8, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 17

59 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 13, 4:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.