Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2023 5:29 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, this episode got emotional. The music and expressions really created the atmosphere while we got to know much more about Lizabeth.

This episode had the most impactful music of the season imo. Lizabeth turned out to be a much more complex character than originally thought.
Dec 7, 2023 7:32 AM

Apr 2016
Yo Philomela dear, these people just risked their lives to save you, to help you and you just leave them there lying without a word ... tsk, tsk, i thought we moved past that already girl.

But more importantly, the evil grandma got some needed background ... I mean she still is a pretty fucked up character, but her story just shows what i've said some episodes ago, being of a magus bloodline, and having that pressure on your shoulders, makes people into what we see here ...

And you know, i almost don't even blame them, for that is what magic is in this world, but good, good, finally that simple request was heard loud and clear.

Final (?) Boss next week.
Dec 7, 2023 8:21 AM

Feb 2021
Oh, so Elias was freeing Alcyone. Thank god.
Grandmother's backstory finally!
I feel like she killed her husband herself, judging from the look at 8:13.

I think Adam's body not leaving traces after death was a spell he cast on himself so Lizbeth couldn't do anything with his corpse.
We have all the pieces together now.
The climax of the arc! This was so good. The soundtrack during Philomela's rescue was awesome. I hope Philomela gets her memories back.
EmbientDec 7, 2023 8:29 AM
Dec 7, 2023 8:29 AM

Jul 2017
Even after everything that Chise and friends does to help her, all Philomela chooses to do is run away? I don't know if she's being stupid or what, it's clear that Lizbeth is doing this to resurrect her parents, and it's not helping the situation.

Even on Alcyone's side, her affinity from being created by Adam and manipulated by Lizbeth, her once being a "servant" for the Rickenbauer family to bear a child as part of the magus lineage, she bore Adam with difficulty that her only son is attached to her, which after he mysteriously left her, she brought all of Adam's misforgivings and placed onto Philomela as the inferior version.

A twisted grandmother beset by both her natural body state and the expectations of Veronica's family, along with a twisted granddaughter who knows not to stop evil from putting her back, she only wants to see her parents, and that's enough to put her in a trance to be Lizbeth's willingful sacrifice. And just when Philomela had hoped for the hope that people will come to save her, she has to accept her own truth, and that's the key to breaking Lizbeth's cursed spell.

FINALLY, the princess in distress has called for help, and Chise broke the spell to save Philomela. Much deserved for the latter finding herself in the midst of confusion.

This College arc has been going for far too long, it's time to settle grievances and affairs.
Dec 7, 2023 9:27 AM
Apr 2021
DAYUMMM that ending was something else
im so glad they picked up this show back after like... 10 yrs
Dec 7, 2023 9:55 AM
Mar 2015
Chise was able to stop the sacrifice of Philomeia
Dec 7, 2023 10:56 AM

Dec 2018
i haven't been a fan of this season's excessive melodrama but this was a good episode. i hope we can move on from this soon.
Dec 7, 2023 10:58 AM

Mar 2018
this is the first time I actually cared at least a little bit about philomela, lol. good episode.
Dec 7, 2023 11:23 AM

Feb 2019
“Sorry to keep you waiting, Philomela” ๐Ÿ˜ญ man that OST combined with the visuals were stunning. Best Mahoyome episode by far. The last 3 have just continued to top the last.

We finally get Philomela’s grandmother backstory and like you’d expect, her childhood was fucked up too. It seems like there’s a vicious cycle of expectation and emotional abuse placed on people from distinguished magus families.

It just keeps going on and on and on, no wonder Adam wanted to break it by running away. He wanted so desperately for Philomela to not have to deal with that life. His mother couldn’t show him any love because she never got any. She was only a tool meant to carry on the family name and reproduce.

The scene where he holds out his hand to hold his mother’s and she just looks at him like he’s crazy really hurt. In spite of all of that, Adam still made efforts to reach out and connect with his mother but she just couldn’t accept it since she never had that. Really sad story.I’m sure the time Adam spent with his wife and daughter must’ve been heaven on earth for him.

Using your own granddaughter as a sacrifice like that.. jeez this family is so messed up. They all needed help badly, Philomela is the first to actually cry out for it and what a beautiful end to the episode. Now that this is wrapped up, excited for what’s next.
Marinate1016Dec 7, 2023 11:31 AM
Dec 7, 2023 11:40 AM
Aug 2020
another beautiful episode

poor girl, i was feeling sad for her...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 7, 2023 11:53 AM
Sep 2023
It speaks to how extremely highly I think of the source material that I have a bunch of nitpicks about how the anime adapted this sequence and I still think it's one of the best episodes of anime I've seen this year.
Dec 7, 2023 12:27 PM

Jul 2017
A very strong, albeit predictable, ending few minutes to this episode that weirdly reminded me of One Piece as Philomela finally reached out for help after Chise and company still desired to save her even now after she was close to being completely sacrificed. The music, some of the animation towards the end were strong too. This season does not touch the passion and love that the first season showed but this episode did have impact in a season that really needed some. Pacing might have dragged out the arc with Philomela too long but this episode was still a good one as a whole.
Dec 7, 2023 2:24 PM

Feb 2014
Philomela's family seems to have a twisted past. We already know how poorly Philomela has been treated, but this sort of thing seems to be the norm after viewing Philomela's grandmother and how she grew up, with the pressure around her from those who had twisted desires. She never really had a proper bond with her own son, Adam, when he was growing up, which only makes more sense for why he ran away in the first place.

All of this pushed her beyond the point of no return, with how she's been planning on using Philomela as a sacrifice to bring Adam back to life. She was very close to succeeding that, but Chise's group finally made it in time to finally rescue her. Chise's powers were truly impressive once more, as she was able to finally shine a light of hope on Philomela, who grabbed it at long last, wishing to be saved.

It made for a fantastic last few minutes of the episode with the insert song going strong in the background. All that remains now is to defeat Philomela's grandmother once and for all. Here's hoping that Chise and the other do exactly that and give Philomela a happy ending she deserves.
Dec 7, 2023 2:36 PM

Dec 2013
That moment when Chise was doing the enchantment with Ellias, Ruth and that background music was fantastic, we got to see the background of that awful old woman and while it doesn't excuse her for being the piece of shit that she is it showed that the whole Sargant house / family was completely rotten.

T-T my girl Philomela finally expressed her desires.
Dec 7, 2023 5:12 PM
Nov 2020
Embient said:
Oh, so Elias was freeing Alcyone. Thank god.
Grandmother's backstory finally!
I feel like she killed her husband herself, judging from the look at 8:13.

I think Adam's body not leaving traces after death was a spell he cast on himself so Lizbeth couldn't do anything with his corpse.
We have all the pieces together now.
The climax of the arc! This was so good. The soundtrack during Philomela's rescue was awesome. I hope Philomela gets her memories back.

I think she may have sacrificed her husband in order to have the child. Since she was having trouble getting pregnant and she didn’t want to adopt because of the way the family viewed her.
Dec 7, 2023 5:49 PM

Feb 2018
I really want Rian to get a chance to talk to Philomela because a large part of him seems to value her and I feel like they should have a large chunk of an episode to show them having a real conversation with her telling him how she feels and him apologizing
Dec 7, 2023 8:23 PM

Jul 2022
Literally cringed at Phliomela's terrifying past a bit, absolutely annoying af...

Dec 7, 2023 10:04 PM
Dec 2021
otakuweek said:
another beautiful episode

poor girl, i was feeling sad for her...

PEAK MOTHER FREAKING FICTION! ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Dec 8, 2023 7:13 AM

Jul 2014
Stupid villain.
Stupid motivation.
Stupid plan.
Stupid resolution.
Should have stopped at season 1.
Dec 8, 2023 10:32 AM

Jan 2016
This episode was peaaaak! had so much goose bumps! The music, the athmosphere! Everything was sooo good! The animation was breathtaking! I am so excited and I can't wait to see how the season will end!
Dec 8, 2023 12:43 PM
Sep 2018
Hooray Philomena is saved! Hope the old hag really takes the hit since it looks to me she has been a horrible woman from the very beginning!
Dec 9, 2023 8:29 AM

Sep 2017
Granny backstory but she was always kinda awful. They didn't try to make us feel for her which was nice. Philo is finally able to exert her free will and admit she needs to be saved. Chise did some magic stuff that was cool but I don't really understand cause the magic in this series is just kinda whatever it needs to be.
Dec 9, 2023 12:21 PM

Nov 2012
Ah great, Emomela is back. Her character was only interesting when she was trying to kill people. I'm more interested in the werewof's cubs and the reason behind the slaughter of Lucy's family. Also, why does Isaac hide his upper face? Do we know? We got a little glimpse of his bg but nothing more. We know about all of the Scooby Gang's childhoods but his.
Dec 9, 2023 4:53 PM

Apr 2013
Seriously, I was scared for Philomela!!

.·:*¨ ๐•พ๐–Š๐–™ ๐•ธ๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–—๐–Š๐–Š - ๐•ต๐–Š๐–˜๐–˜๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–† ๐•ต๐–š๐–“๐–Œ ¨*:·. ๐“†ฉโ™ก๐“†ช
๐Ÿฌ:๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฑ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ใ…‡โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐Ÿฏ:๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฒ
โ†บ¹ |โ— โ–ถ โ–ท| โ‹ฎ≡
Dec 9, 2023 5:27 PM

Jul 2016
Evil grandma sacrificed her husband's life to conceive a child, right?

Very good episode though I was feeling just a little bit annoyed at Philomela still obeying her grandmother despite everything.
Dec 10, 2023 2:39 AM
Apr 2023
Damn I almost cried watching it T_T
Probably one of the most emotional episodes this season, love how philomela finally asked Chise to help her, I hope they become good friends ♥
Dec 10, 2023 8:17 AM

Oct 2019
Let's hope they waste the evil hag in the next episode or else she'll try going after Philomela again.
Based on the preview it looks like she'll be taken over by the book and/or that entity that resides inside it.
I suspect Philomela's fairy might waste her, perhaps dying in the process. This episode finally explained why Philo's fairy never protected her from the hag - Elias was trying to kill her but ended up freeing her from the hag's spell.

But we still do not know if the hag sent those two werewolves to kill Lucy's family and steal their spiders on her own accord or under orders from the Rickenbackers, the family the Sargants serve.
SharpedonDec 10, 2023 8:36 AM
Dec 11, 2023 3:53 AM

May 2015
"Save me !"

Very strong arc, with a great subject of existentialism and human will.
Dec 11, 2023 4:33 AM
Mar 2019
Now that grandmother deserves some well-founded justice. Looking forward to it.
Dec 11, 2023 8:31 PM

Aug 2019
I have zero sympathy for the grandma
Dec 12, 2023 4:29 AM

Oct 2017
She finally asked for help. Animation and ost was good for this episode. Sucks that Rian wasn't there though. He should have been there to save her but got done dirty by the author and was sidelined cause his magic was sucked but mainly cause Chise had to be the one to save her as she's the protag, anyway.
Dec 14, 2023 7:31 PM

Dec 2017
This episode was really beautiful. Congratulations to the Kafka staff, they trully delivered an awesome climax to this season.
Dec 15, 2023 8:52 AM
๐ŸฅŠ CHAMPION ๐ŸฅŠ

Apr 2016
Philomela was lucky!!!
kekeke
Dec 16, 2023 2:11 AM
Dec 2022
The grandma pushes the son away and yet brings him back from the dead when she can't get over his loss. Treats Philomena the same yet she will regrets her ways later.
Dec 17, 2023 4:06 PM

Mar 2010
Damn Philomela at her worst is like all the hoes in modern day society, being misled and self harmed trying to seek shitty accpetance by the world. Philomela is the perfect wife if she submitted to someone who is worth it.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 19, 2023 3:53 AM

Oct 2008
that was a phenomenal OST (the music before the ED song rolls)
that was a great save for our Philomela!
5/5.

Dec 21, 2023 12:55 PM

May 2020
I mean if this episode happened at least some 4-5 episodes back, this instantly would've been the best out of anything so far in this second season. Though let it be whatever it is, finally.. FINALLY, for the love of god, Philomela's miseries are over(?).

Still kinda doubtful because you know that granny.. the very face of "evil" herself, whose backstory sucks as hard as her character, is still alive and kicking.
Jan 1, 11:00 PM

Aug 2019
Honestly really fucking good episode, Philomela's realisation that she no longer was alone anymore and had a freedom of choice that ultimately helped her move on from her trauma was extremely well delivered and executed imo, i think the scene of her finally speaking her heart and calling for help was probably my favourite from this season. Yeah round of applause to her voice actor as well, she blew that scene out the water and tbh really did an amazing job as Philomela's VA.

Jesus Christ Lizbeth Sargant actually speed racing towards Zouken Matou's first place of most fucked parent and human / magic user, like i thought this ep they'd mellow out her character and give her also some tragic traumatising backstory that caused her addiction to her son, but no she's just seemed to always be genetically and inherently evil.
Although i still think Zouken has done leagues worse, i feel like him and Lizbeth would unironically get along when it comes to bad parenting and inhuman experimentation, i'm also sure both of them have a reserved spot in hell.
Jan 11, 12:53 PM

Aug 2019
grannys backstory. cant feel bad for her, she has only been stupid
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 12:07 AM

Jul 2008
Ok time to kill Grandma!
Apr 19, 6:38 PM

Jun 2015
Elias undid her grandma's programming inside Alcyone, she's free to show Philomela the memories she's kept locked up inside. She was a twisted bitch from the beginning. Lucy should want to kill the grandma. The mind of a slave.

Another 10/10 episode.
Read Toriko!
May 3, 3:47 AM

Apr 2013
Well I guess it only took 22 episodes to finally finish the Philomela thing... that was way too long.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2023

31 by OrganikPatates »»
May 28, 9:14 AM

» Where all romance gone?

xakpc - Dec 25, 2023

10 by Gator »»
May 4, 3:31 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2023

80 by Gator »»
May 4, 3:24 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2023

29 by Gator »»
May 3, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2023

42 by Gator »»
May 2, 2:31 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.