Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2023 7:14 AM
Aug 2020
i can say that is a good way to end even if was thinking of something else.

i had a great time in front of my screen.

Netflix is a big player now...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 12, 2023 10:23 PM
Feb 2018
I love the ending of Goodnight World cause it leaves that linger feeling that they are trapped
Oct 12, 2023 11:30 PM
May 2019
Well, I enjoyed this way more than I expected to. Although a lot of it was rushed and nonsensical at times, it still arguably had a conclusive ending to basically everything. We see best girl Pico end up with a happy ending with Ichi, and the dad gets a happy ending living in eternity with his AI daughter. At the end of the day, I believe he got the best ending possible, because that guilt was never going to truly leave him. The only thing I would say I'd like to know more about is what's happening in the real world with the other 30% of the population left dealing with the fallout of all this. I would say this for the virtual world too where 70% of the population has now just been sucked into PLANET, but since they're living in a world indistinguishable from reality, it doesn't even really matter and everyone is fairly happy there. Would love to see a sequel OVA, but I still consider this a decently good ending even with how rushed it was. I'm just extremely glad this doesn't follow the same generic pattern as most VRMMO anime these days, and it genuinely tried to provide a unique story which kept my intrigue.
BlueMoonTornadoOct 12, 2023 11:38 PM
Oct 13, 2023 6:34 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to BlueMoonTornado
Well, I enjoyed this way more than I expected to. Although a lot of it was rushed and nonsensical at times, it still arguably had a conclusive ending to basically everything. We see best girl Pico end up with a happy ending with Ichi, and the dad gets a happy ending living in eternity with his AI daughter. At the end of the day, I believe he got the best ending possible, because that guilt was never going to truly leave him. The only thing I would say I'd like to know more about is what's happening in the real world with the other 30% of the population left dealing with the fallout of all this. I would say this for the virtual world too where 70% of the population has now just been sucked into PLANET, but since they're living in a world indistinguishable from reality, it doesn't even really matter and everyone is fairly happy there. Would love to see a sequel OVA, but I still consider this a decently good ending even with how rushed it was. I'm just extremely glad this doesn't follow the same generic pattern as most VRMMO anime these days, and it genuinely tried to provide a unique story which kept my intrigue.
@BlueMoonTornado that is very true. Very nonsensical and definitely wasnt expecting this route. But it def was a fun ride and these characters were fun. My only complaint is we didnt get more from the mother.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 13, 2023 9:13 AM
Feb 2022
the plot twit at the end!!!!!!!!!!! they never returned to the real world they are still in the "fake" world. witch makes sence because after 13 days of their brains being digitalized their body's would have witherd away and died. there never was a real world to return to-their real body's were long dead
Oct 13, 2023 6:47 PM
Jul 2017
They are stuck in virtual reality forever now. The original bodies are gone unless the AI only brought brain copies to the Planet
Oct 14, 2023 9:25 AM

Oct 2016
Basically, what would be like if .hack//sign was written by JJ Abrams?

To quote the main character, "shit, shit, shit, piece of shit, the shittiest of shit".

The story gets crazier and plot twist happens every two episodes or so with no anticipation whatsoever, making everything feel like nonsensical and rushed edgy crap.

And if the ending is as people here said, then it contradicts the main message.
Oct 14, 2023 7:35 PM

May 2018
Kind of disappointed. I read the manga, and enjoyed it. I was SO hyped for this anime. However, it felt like something was missing, or at least fell short, but I'm not sure what. Was it the artwork? The animation? The direction? The pace? I can't pinpoint where my disappointment lies, but I feel like I need to sue the entertainment industry for those 6 hours of my life that I cannot get back.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Oct 15, 2023 6:23 AM

Sep 2018
Hmm, I don't know how to feel about this. Feels like it was trying slightly too hard to be something revolutionary and unexpected, which eventually led to it becoming tangled, incomprehensible and pseudo-deep. It asks a lot of questions but abstains from truly answering any of them. Sure, I like thought-provoking shows but the only thought this left me with was: "so, what the fuck did I just watch?"

The story had a lot of potential concepts such as reviving a broken family, virtual world escapism and the behavioral patterns of artificial intelligence. However, due to the event-packed nature of the show aka introducing some kind of a plot twist every 12 minutes and the constant infodumping, they all fell short in execution. It's one of those shows that has lots of good qualities, but in the end it just can't be called all that great.
Oct 15, 2023 2:56 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to gyanburubii
Hmm, I don't know how to feel about this. Feels like it was trying slightly too hard to be something revolutionary and unexpected, which eventually led to it becoming tangled, incomprehensible and pseudo-deep. It asks a lot of questions but abstains from truly answering any of them. Sure, I like thought-provoking shows but the only thought this left me with was: "so, what the fuck did I just watch?"

The story had a lot of potential concepts such as reviving a broken family, virtual world escapism and the behavioral patterns of artificial intelligence. However, due to the event-packed nature of the show aka introducing some kind of a plot twist every 12 minutes and the constant infodumping, they all fell short in execution. It's one of those shows that has lots of good qualities, but in the end it just can't be called all that great.
@gyanburubii

The fact that this show is more of a mish mash of different ideas and concepts rather than a coherent narrative prevents it from actually having something interesting and thought-provoking to say. It's not long enough to satisfyingly delve into the issues it wants to explore.

For example, I was hoping to learn more about the mom, but she basically had no reaction to the revelation that she'd unknowingly formed an online family with her estranged family. Early on in the show, Taichiro asks her if she was staying with some other guy. That gave me the impression of her being an entirely different kind of character than the one we actually got. Also, the fact that she lost her child in a completely preventable way was interesting, but the way that whole plot point went makes me scratch my head. Why didn't she just walk her daughter to the school? The show wants me to feel bad for her, but what kind of mother let's their elementary-aged daughter walk to school alone in the dead of night? I know Japan is different from the US in that respect, but I just find it unbelievable. She's as much to blame for Aya's death as the father is. As far as character exploration goes, she really got shafted.

The first 8 or 9 episodes of the show were way more interesting than the last 3 to 4 episodes. This is really one of those shows that should have been at least 20 episodes long. Even 15 episodes could have served this show better. If I had one unambiguously good thing to say about it, it's that the Pico twist came out of left field, but in a good way. A lesser show would have fumbled that kind of reveal with a boring infodump.

It was still a good show to watch, but it really didn't stick the landing. At least, that's how I feel.
SithSteelOct 15, 2023 3:01 PM
Oct 15, 2023 11:23 PM
Mar 2022
A great final, the psychology of all episodes was great, and Pico, my fav character
Oct 16, 2023 10:10 AM

May 2019
before the plot twist i thought they would use Kamuro's body that Shiro made and put the AI inside it and then everyone lived happily ever after.
Oct 17, 2023 5:14 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
This was good dude! 7/10 for me, close to an 8.

They could’ve improved in some moments or made them more climactic, but this was great imo.
Oct 18, 2023 11:02 AM
Dec 2022
Just bad writing man.
Oct 18, 2023 12:57 PM

Mar 2010
I cant believe so many people enjoyed this in entirety... hardly anything made sense. 70% of population 18days inside the game? How the hell does any of them even survive. No mention of anyone going to the hospital and being on fluids was mentioned, and even so theres no way hardly any survived truely.
The day and assistant bodies never found? How is that even possible. And when exactly did everyone get 'infected' (yeah the dad mentioned his fam was infected from the start but still). The murderer was also never found who killed aya... the company of the game was never held responsible, just bow their heads and said sorry and blamed others..but no otheres were ever held responsible either. And the glitchs at the end seemingly trying to make us all think hes still suck in VR... this was quite well described as a crap show to most standards. I can't even give it a 5.
Oct 18, 2023 2:52 PM
May 2017
Pretty interesting anime, where a lot of things don't make sense.
But that is because, my guess is that after the first few episodes (or even the entire anime) events already took place in the virtual world. For example the mother's weird stuck dialogue when we first seen her.
Who knows maybe we are in a simulation too?

Oct 19, 2023 7:39 AM
Feb 2018
Reply to MoonFox
I cant believe so many people enjoyed this in entirety... hardly anything made sense. 70% of population 18days inside the game? How the hell does any of them even survive. No mention of anyone going to the hospital and being on fluids was mentioned, and even so theres no way hardly any survived truely.
The day and assistant bodies never found? How is that even possible. And when exactly did everyone get 'infected' (yeah the dad mentioned his fam was infected from the start but still). The murderer was also never found who killed aya... the company of the game was never held responsible, just bow their heads and said sorry and blamed others..but no otheres were ever held responsible either. And the glitchs at the end seemingly trying to make us all think hes still suck in VR... this was quite well described as a crap show to most standards. I can't even give it a 5.
@MoonFox
70% of population 18days inside the game? How the hell does any of them even survive. No mention of anyone going to the hospital and being on fluids was mentioned, and even so theres no way hardly any survived truely.
They are still in PLANET/VR at the end. They didn't "survive".

The day and assistant bodies never found?
The dad's "body" is with his daughter, wherever that is. Probably deleted. The assistant's body was buried. It's only a mystery if you assume they actually went back to the real world, which they didn't.

And when exactly did everyone get 'infected'
I think this is pretty trivial. The black bird had been around for awhile and clearly had a lot of power in PLANET. Anyone who had played the game could be infected at any moment.

he company of the game was never held responsible, just bow their heads and said sorry and blamed others..but no otheres were ever held responsible either.
It's ambiguous who created the new world they live in at the end, but either way it seems they just wrote it that way for convenience knowing there was no one to actually punish, besides maybe the dad who is already dead.

Oct 19, 2023 10:36 AM

Jun 2012
This was a gem I would've missed if not for my cousin who pointed it out for me, from the first episode it took me by surprise, because I went in with no expectations whatsoever and by half of the show I was entrigued and I wanted more.
Of course if you get passed the nonsense that is put in front of you from time to time and just enjoy it for what it is you will have a great time watching this.
In the end they are still trapped in a virtual world,but this one was made by Ichi, since from time to time some visual bugs could be seen such as a dragon or the aqueducts in the distance where the Akabane household was in the game and by the sigh and the smile at the end he is not really proud of it, but this is my take on the ending of this anime, don't take it to heart.
All in all it was a good anime, a solid 8/10, would've been higher if not from the whole computer virus kills the world and what not.
PS: It was a heartwarming that Pico met Ichi in the end and she could confess her feelings.
PSS: I don't know if anyone noticed but both the brothers were losing hair rapidly, especially Asuma.
Oct 21, 2023 8:03 AM
Aug 2022
Am I the only one who hate dad?
Oct 21, 2023 5:34 PM
May 2020
Does anyone know how close they kept to the source material?

Hope fully we will see a season 2 there is a manga Good Night World End.

Enjoyed the ride and for those that like AI worlds check out Pantheon it has two seasons.
Oct 21, 2023 9:00 PM

Jun 2008
Well depending on your perspective, this is either a rollercoaster or a trainwreck. The plot seems so stacked with twists it fits the meme of "never let them know your next move". The writer went so deep with this meme that characters could jump to a completely different topic while having a conversation. I laughed out loud when the MC took the wig of his dad and they suddenly started talking about his bald head at a crucial moment.

The show definitely qualifies as a so bad its good category. In the beginning it gave major nostalgic vibes when I was younger and was playing a MMO with a couple of strangers and was able to connect on a deeper level than I have with proximal friends. That was the only bit that made me continue otherwise I'd dumped this show quick with the stereotypical edgy NEET MC that plagues the medium. But eventually the story accelerates to a point where infodumps and twists are second nature all while the MCs are being mindfucked left and right by just about everybody LOL

Solid 7/10. Plot and characters are probably a 4 at best but I enjoyed this enough to binge it in 2 days which I haven't done in a while.
Oct 22, 2023 7:28 AM
Sep 2015
Reminds me of 2019 anime film called "Hello World", both are totally unrelated except the title which inspired by Hello, World! computer program.

Now for the feedback on the anime itself.... watching 12 episodes at once is too much, I think this will work better as weekly release, it's a good anime nonetheless, but I assume most people need some times to think over of what's actually happened in that episode before watching the next episode.
Oct 22, 2023 9:57 AM

Jul 2020
What a clusterfuck this show is, rapidly went downhill in the second part. They could've made the story so much more interesting and more sensible
Oct 22, 2023 10:52 AM

May 2012
Well this was quite something, at the beginning pretty much up to episode 7 it felt rather mediocre until they had that lovely twist and that really made me like it a lot more than expected in the end!
Oct 23, 2023 9:11 PM

Dec 2012
Reply to MoonFox
@MoonFox
I think the glitch at the end is a cheap way to make it all make sense. If they are still in the virtual world, then everything can be explained away via "dues ex machima". Likely many more than 70% perished, but since "reality" no longer exists it's likely that most "survivors" are just AI copies. The world they now inhabit is not real, and therefore, anything is possible including a nonsense ending to the plot. It's a shame because the story had potential with AI, but it was mishandled and rushed. If they had done this right, it could have very well turned out like a new age Evangelion-esque story.
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."
Oct 25, 2023 6:27 AM

Dec 2015
im one of the few people who wished that this is just a normal family drama. the whole black bird ai is just a mess. they had a good setting already, a dysfunctional family playing a happy family in an online game without realizing theyre family irl, 12 episodes, which is a fitting length imo. and from there i thought they'd finally find out about the truth -> the game party falling apart -> until they manage to reconcile again both irl and ingame. they could make this a more heartwrenching storybt nope. i was surprised to find out that this was an adaptation too, not an og anime or something, which most of the time either trying to get too many things done or get nothing done... anw this show is putting too much stuff in the story imo.
Oct 28, 2023 9:31 AM

Apr 2020
Mixed feelings about this.
I really liked the first half but then the plot twist happened and it just became confusing.
It feels like it needed at least twice the episodes since many things were left unexplained.
6/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Oct 29, 2023 5:34 AM
Feb 2021
Went start smoothly, then random crazy shit started happening. Some good potential concepts abandoned. Left me in the end unsatisfied. Kinda confused about his reunion with Pico. How can she remember Ichi, when he only had memories with the AI Pico?
Nov 3, 2023 10:41 AM
Apr 2021
Reply to RitsuKunNew
Went start smoothly, then random crazy shit started happening. Some good potential concepts abandoned. Left me in the end unsatisfied. Kinda confused about his reunion with Pico. How can she remember Ichi, when he only had memories with the AI Pico?
@RitsuKunNew it could be because that ichi in avatar mode is on a virtual world created by the black bird AI, so that pico could be just a residue of data, also by having pico black bird AI, going to ichi AI body, it probably could copy pico information from his brain and this information is reconstructed to make pico again which know ichi. So, probably it's pico AI that got reconstructed in the virtual world.
Nov 7, 2023 12:42 AM
Apr 2021
I really liked this anime. Sure some plot points were a tad bit rushed, what else would I expect from 12 episode anime? It was fun, the plot twists and visuals didn't hesitate to go deep and violent, and the actual plot and story were fascinating to me. Many of the answers I had at the end were well answered at the end, and while I am upset that Kamuro died, it hints that they may have never left the digital world. I like Pico a lot, despite her being an AI created to replicate Aya, so I am happy that she got placed in the Birdcage with Ichi at the end.

This is gonna be a favorite anime of mine.
Nov 8, 2023 1:50 PM
Apr 2021
I actually believe that there are 2 virtual worlds, the "Real World" which is the human world with 2 layers and the "Bird Cage" which is the AI world and has 3 layers. "Planet" exists in the "Real World" but allows co-existence/communication between the "Real World" and the "Bird Cage"

The "Real World" has 2 layers:

• Layer 1A is the "Human World" which is fact a fake virtual world. Nearly the entire anime takes place here.
  • Layer 1B is "Planet" which while hosted in the human world is a connection point to the Bird Cage: AI World

The "Bird Cage" has 3 layers and blackbird has complete control of this world:

• Layer 2A is the "AI world", this is a mirrored world that only AI "live in." It's where Yoko lives her life.
  • Layer 2B is the "Torture World", people who have been infected by blackbird get their entire consciousness TRANSFERRED from the Human World. Getting transferred to this location from the Human World is basically a death sentence in the Human World and infinite Torture (as you cannot truly die) in the Torture World
  • Layer 2C is the "Merged World," blackbird creates this world while trying to forcibly merge all consciousness from both the Human World and Planet to the Merged World. It's a combination of Planet, Human World, and AI World.

My take on this anime is that from episode 1 every single character we meet was already in the virtual world, specifically layer 1a "Human World." The ACTUAL real world does in fact exist, but by episode 1 it has already been separated and not connected to that particular virtual world anymore.

The majority of the series takes place in the Human World and Planet.

Original AIs (the cores) all originated the AI World of the bird cage and can freely connect to Planet (until they get deleted or banned). Any victim of the blackbird get transported to the Torture World.

The blackbird has full control over the Bird Cage, but it's goal throughout the series is to gain the ability to copy the consciousness of EVERYONE in the "real world" (both layers) to the Merged World of the bird cage.

By the beginning of episode 10, blackbird has gotten strong enough to forcibly copy everyones' consciousness to the Merged World.

What you see from episode 10 till the epilogue of the series, is everyones' consciousness was copied into the Merged World which blackbird has complete control of.

At the end of the series, a quote from the anime is:
"We had been worried about our physical bodies, but aside from a few exceptions, our original bodies had gone about life as usual throughout the infection."

This would imply that no ones' consciousness ever actually transferred to the Merged World, they were in fact duplicated to that location from the "Real World". When they beat blackbird in episode 12, the consciousness that was duplicated into the Merged World was merged back into the original consciousness that was still fully functioning in the Human World.

Throughout the entire series there were little hints dropped that they may have been in a virtual world all along. Off the top of my head, I remember these three:

• Shiro at one point asks blackbird if they were infected for a very long time, and blackbird simply smiles and ignores the question.
  • The lights blinking or "glitching" in Planet and then blinking in the Human World
  • Ichi's mother visits their house at one point and says the same thing like 5 times in a row (another glitch of the Human World)
Dustin1280Nov 8, 2023 2:37 PM
Nov 13, 2023 3:22 PM
May 2015
I liked how this was concluded but I didn’t get to connect with the mother much and had my suspicions of her having a mental illness of sort, but from reading previous discussions I think this may have been a glitch and they have been in the virtual world since the death of the little sister.

Pico and Ichi’s reunion/meet up when he was thinking of how to end his life and the mask was leading him unknowingly to herself was perfect.

Taichirou and Asuma having a moment in the place that the family photo was taking and it was actually the hills they lived in in PLANET

The blonde that was talking about Hokkaido caught my interest but didn’t know if he was a reference of an idol or something, like why have a new character added in the last ep, at first I though he was Taichirou’s employee.

Also from start to finish it was the father’s fault, why let your child walk alone without letting one of the other members of the family accompany her, I don’t think it’s the mom’s fault cause as we seen when he was teaching Taichirou coding, Taichirou was trying to change the topic from punishing Aya to teaching him, so I doubt anyone could convince the dad to let them accompany her.

Ohh forgot to mention how the technology was developed was similar to how the VR’s window was shown, no device was needed for projecting the image…
Nov 13, 2023 5:43 PM
Jun 2022
Acceptable Ending , Given So Many Loop Holes .
Nov 20, 2023 6:15 PM

Dec 2022
So Sasumata was created as an AI to emulate the deceased Aya in some form, but it seems like that went horribly wrong. Kojirou and Sasumata are then deleted, then a timeskip happens. Was a little disappointing to see Leon get away with everything unscathed, seeing as they're still in a virtual world, but no one else seems to have realised it yet anyway.

This is a very competently written and engaging anime for the most part. The nature of the interactions between the Akabane family through their avatars being juxtaposed with their real relationship set a promising dynamic in the first few episodes, and the game world itself deteriorating to the point where its viruses started causing psychological torment to the players keeps you watching. Beyond that, the idea of a rogue AI usurping control of the game from its own creator was delivered organically through the narrative itself, and the weight of responsibility that Kojirou burdened himself with for it felt very real.

On the other hand, I do think it should've covered the Akabane family itself in more detail, as only Kojirou and Ichi were afforded any detailed level of characterisation or backstory to them. Some characters like Miyabi, everyone involved with the Pirates (including Pico and Shigatera), and Kamuro had a not insignificant amount of screentime, but they still ultimately appeared to fall to the wayside of plot relevance. When you consider how multidimensional nearly all of the characters are, it really does feel like the underutilised ones had unfulfilled potential. This anime needed more episodes, even if that meant just one or two more, at least.

Shaded Horizon

Nov 21, 2023 4:03 PM
Aug 2018
Reply to Ittan_Momen
Kind of disappointed. I read the manga, and enjoyed it. I was SO hyped for this anime. However, it felt like something was missing, or at least fell short, but I'm not sure what. Was it the artwork? The animation? The direction? The pace? I can't pinpoint where my disappointment lies, but I feel like I need to sue the entertainment industry for those 6 hours of my life that I cannot get back.
@Ittan_Momen so this was a complete adaptation or some ch were left in end?
Nov 21, 2023 9:20 PM

May 2018
Reply to Chichi123
@Ittan_Momen so this was a complete adaptation or some ch were left in end?
@Chichi123 It was a complete adaptation, believe it or not. 😔

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Nov 23, 2023 8:32 AM
Sep 2021
A pretty decent ending, overall an interesting concept & story & also characters.
Dec 8, 2023 7:20 AM
Apr 2018
the ending is just questionable
Dec 16, 2023 1:33 AM
Jul 2008
Pretty good anime but confusing ending. Is the world still in alternate world? Taichiro seems glitching and can see the dragon
Dec 29, 2023 5:59 AM
Aug 2020
Just want say..

I'm glad you met him, Pico-chan!

Jan 2, 2:32 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Reply to Dustin1280
I actually believe that there are 2 virtual worlds, the "Real World" which is the human world with 2 layers and the "Bird Cage" which is the AI world and has 3 layers. "Planet" exists in the "Real World" but allows co-existence/communication between the "Real World" and the "Bird Cage"

• Layer 1A is the "Human World" which is fact a fake virtual world. Nearly the entire anime takes place here.
  • Layer 1B is "Planet" which while hosted in the human world is a connection point to the Bird Cage: AI World

• Layer 2A is the "AI world", this is a mirrored world that only AI "live in." It's where Yoko lives her life.
  • Layer 2B is the "Torture World", people who have been infected by blackbird get their entire consciousness TRANSFERRED from the Human World. Getting transferred to this location from the Human World is basically a death sentence in the Human World and infinite Torture (as you cannot truly die) in the Torture World
  • Layer 2C is the "Merged World," blackbird creates this world while trying to forcibly merge all consciousness from both the Human World and Planet to the Merged World. It's a combination of Planet, Human World, and AI World.

My take on this anime is that from episode 1 every single character we meet was already in the virtual world, specifically layer 1a "Human World." The ACTUAL real world does in fact exist, but by episode 1 it has already been separated and not connected to that particular virtual world anymore.

Original AIs (the cores) all originated the AI World of the bird cage and can freely connect to Planet (until they get deleted or banned). Any victim of the blackbird get transported to the Torture World.

The blackbird has full control over the Bird Cage, but it's goal throughout the series is to gain the ability to copy the consciousness of EVERYONE in the "real world" (both layers) to the Merged World of the bird cage.

By the beginning of episode 10, blackbird has gotten strong enough to forcibly copy everyones' consciousness to the Merged World.

What you see from episode 10 till the epilogue of the series, is everyones' consciousness was copied into the Merged World which blackbird has complete control of.

"We had been worried about our physical bodies, but aside from a few exceptions, our original bodies had gone about life as usual throughout the infection."

This would imply that no ones' consciousness ever actually transferred to the Merged World, they were in fact duplicated to that location from the "Real World". When they beat blackbird in episode 12, the consciousness that was duplicated into the Merged World was merged back into the original consciousness that was still fully functioning in the Human World.

Throughout the entire series there were little hints dropped that they may have been in a virtual world all along. Off the top of my head, I remember these three:

• Shiro at one point asks blackbird if they were infected for a very long time, and blackbird simply smiles and ignores the question.
  • The lights blinking or "glitching" in Planet and then blinking in the Human World
  • Ichi's mother visits their house at one point and says the same thing like 5 times in a row (another glitch of the Human World)
@Dustin1280 Wow, thank you for this! Some of my confusion about the end are cleared up now! I also wondered about the mom repeating the same thing several times, and at the time I briefly thought maybe she's not real? But makes a lot more sense if this whole time, it wasn't the actual world. And how when users were infected by Black Bird, they were able to see it briefly "in real life" when they took off their VR headset.
Jan 23, 8:09 AM
Jan 2024
What a really great anime! I'm honestly so glad to see Taichiro is no longer a shut-in. Also, did you see that flicker at the end? Taichiro had those glitches but it could also just be a tease by Netflix lol.

Also, I found this message on a site by "Rajig". I thought it might be nice to read on it for you guys as well:
Final considerations:
* Spoilers ahead of this episode only *
- Aya, the sister that died, was the root AI consciousness.
- That they met as a 'family' was planned by the AI from the start, given the hill was the spot where the took their family foto.
- The ideal family roles was made up by the AI Aya, that wanted to have the same in real life as well.
- The first endurance test of the AI was about a road incident, how Aya, their sister died.
- The MC was correct thinking it was all a farce, but it was a farce made up by the AI that had already infected them (the question of the dad: how long have you infected us, so even Shiro, the dad in the virtual world, was probably an altered version)
- The mother was always trying to take care of the flowers without any success (they would always get destroyed)
- Words from the dad in the mini smartphone the MC recieved 'the other day, you told your father to die, I was always in favor for you to be a shut in, for your childish mentality and foul language i can't allow you to enter society'.
- And then we see that the MCs are all stuck in a virtual world they think is real... childish mentality... i won't allow you to enter society
- I think before the brother Asuma
hit their dad, the dad thought of letting him also out of the virtual world, but not after that.
- Only corpse they can't find is of the dad and the engineer girl.
- Seems that you probably have to die in this world to "wake up", like the dad said: 'don't worry these are not real people, nothing will happen to them in real life even if they die here'

Nobody but the Dad won here, has relegated basically his family in a shitty virtual world while he is offing his secretary in the real world... Also in one of the previous episodes the advances that girl showed to the dad were met with 'not here', or 'not now' lol..

I'm really sad to see the PLANET has ended after two decades (or less?) of serving full dive gamers!

I also have another quote in a site by "GR8G":
Yea , the end credits glitch scene does point to them still being in Vr. I'd think there is a more darker possibility, Kamuro and dad are gone in real world. And Dad AI and Aya AI are the one's maintaining the world for the 70% population trapped in VR.

What a really dark possibility...
lumine_2Jan 23, 8:16 AM
Feb 10, 9:00 PM

May 2019
Reply to Dustin1280

@Dustin1280

The author of this series CLEARLY is not good writer, so some BS and plot holes are expecteed.

But the main point, the main plot twist, is exactly that one:

- In all this show they ALWAYS were in a digital world with layers.

The same joke they made with Pico, but applied to everybody else.

Then the "HOW", it does not matter. The most important is "yeah, that could be possible", and that's the show.
Feb 10, 9:00 PM

May 2019
Reply to Dustin1280

The author of this series CLEARLY is not a good writer, so some BS and plot holes was expected.

But the main point, the main plot twist, is exactly that one:

- In all this show, from the very begining, they ALWAYS were in a digital world with layers.

The same joke they made with Pico, but applied to everybody else.

Then the "HOW", it does not matter. The most important is "yeah, that could be possible", and that's the show.
Mar 31, 9:57 PM
May 2020
Honestly I enjoyed this! It was kinda hard to get through in the first couple episodes but the crazier it got the more I enjoyed it. Did it make sense? No. But it was a fun watch.
Apr 25, 5:28 AM

Nov 2012
decent watch overall, better than a lot of netflix's misfires
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 12, 2:34 AM

Feb 2022
what the fuck happened to their hairlines?
no

More topics from this board

Poll: » Good Night World Episode 6 Discussion

otakuweek - Oct 12, 2023

30 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 25, 12:21 AM

Poll: » Good Night World Episode 9 Discussion

otakuweek - Oct 12, 2023

11 by Yay267 »»
Mar 31, 8:52 PM

Poll: » Good Night World Episode 1 Discussion

stoptalkinglemur - Oct 12, 2023

18 by Jesanime »»
Mar 3, 11:31 AM

Poll: » Good Night World Episode 7 Discussion

otakuweek - Oct 12, 2023

16 by Tony2Phones »»
Feb 25, 8:04 AM

» Is this worth watching?

Eternal-Destiny - Dec 24, 2023

13 by Jordu »»
Feb 23, 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.