Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2023 11:29 PM

Jul 2011
Wow first post?

I binge watched this! It feels like the story is JUST getting started. Personally I'm a fan of the current lady shogun, she's very strong and fair. 

I would love to see a second season of this, but I have a feeling it won't be that popular of a series. It's slow and political. I was hoping for a sleeper hit like Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, but if nothing else, maybe this will help the manga get popularity!

Thanks Netflix. It was a good watch.
MirorinJun 29, 2023 11:33 PM
Jun 30, 2023 11:33 AM

Mar 2022
I have mixed feelings about this one.

Although the plot was quite unique and catchy it didn't live up to its expectations. Also combined with bad animation quality, it fails to retain its veiwers attention especially when each episode was longer than a standard 20 min episode. The pacing felt quite slow and at times was looking at how much time was remaining in the episode. Shows like this really benefit with good animation. Look at any average kyoani show. Even though mostly all of them are slice of life anime, the lively animation is what brings them to life. A good studio like shaft or science saru would have really benefitted this show.
They should also have cut short the episode length to 15-20 min. Despite it being a politics heavy show, it lacks the thrill many seek like in those of Vinland saga and Logh.A short ep length would have kept more people glued to it and get it done with in a day or two. What makes it worse is that I didn't find any of the characters much likable.

On the bright side this show is a fresh breather from the swaths of isekai anime being pumped by the industry each season.Depiction of matriarchal family is quite rare in anime so it was nice seeing it.

I am of the belief that shows like these are better suited to be consumed in the manga format rather than anime and although I really doubt about getting a season 2, I think it will atleast propell more people to the manga.

Final verdict ~ 6/10
SabreDragoJan 28, 2:07 AM

Jun 30, 2023 12:05 PM

May 2021
I finally Completed this Masterpiece. I am suprise to see how great the oooku really is all the music, sound effects, story telling and the Narrator. I loved it. In the End I have some mixed feelings that hard to justify in words. But I don't want to spoil it either so i keep my mouth shut.

Jun 30, 2023 12:19 PM
Jul 2016
I had difficulty reading the manga, since the scanlation team decided to use Old English for the dialog. Which is a shame since I enjoy Yoshinaga Fumi's other manga.

I'm glad I could enjoy the anime adaptation. Probably won't appeal to most Western anime fans, since nobody has any background knowledge in Japanese history besides that one bill wurtz video.

Also it lacks in anime violence or sakuga. And I doubt a lot of anime fans enjoy feminist themes in their stories. Also, despite being about concubines and sex, it's not very erotic - so that probably turns some folks off.

Well, I liked it well enough. Again, I generally enjoy Yoshinaga Fumi's work.
Jun 30, 2023 12:29 PM
Sep 2021
Overall really good show. I didn’t really enjoy the ending but what ever, ill give this show 7.40/10.
Let just hope for season 2.
HaigenJul 1, 2023 10:14 AM
Jun 30, 2023 1:41 PM
Feb 2016
SabreDrago said:
I have mixed feelings about this one.

Although the plot was quite unique and catchy it didn't live up to its expectations. Also combined with bad animation quality, it fails to retain its veiwers attention especially when each episode was longer than a standard 20 min episode. The pacing felt quite slow and at times I was looking at how much time was remaining in the episode. Shows like this really benefit with good animation. Look at any average kyoani show. Even though mostly all of them are slice of life anime, the lively animation is what brings them to life. A good studio like shaft or science saru would have really benefitted this show.
They should also have cut short the episode length to 15-20 min. Despite it being a politics heavy show, it lacks the thrill many seek like in those of Vinland saga and Logh.A short ep length would have kept more people glued to it and get it done with in a day or two. What makes it worse is that I didn't find any of the characters much likable.

On the bright side this show is a fresh breather from the swaths of isekai anime being pumped by the industry each season.Depiction of matriarchal family is quite rare in anime so it was nice seeing it.

I am of the belief that shows like these are better suited to be consumed in the manga format rather than anime and although I really doubt about getting a season 2, I think it will atleast propell more people to the manga.

Final verdict ~ 6/10
The manga is better than whole vinland saga in poilitcal conflict and drama. 
Jun 30, 2023 4:57 PM

Oct 2009
I was hooked at the first few episodes because the concept is so unique but it kinda fell off for me midway because I just wanted to go back to the 'current' timeline because I was invested with Yanoshin TO ONLY FIND OUT HE DIDNT MATTER AT ALL. Then I read some synopsis of the manga chapters and I guess it's just about the history of the Ooku then how it was abolished? I mean it's only 70+ chapters but the wiki was so long lol i didnt bother to read until the end.

I don't know if it's the art direction  but I was really really invested in the first half, not that I didn't like the romance between the monk and the first female shogun. I was just whiplashed into a story within the story and I wasn't satsified because of the abrupt conclusion by the end. I never got attached to the monk because I didn't find him interesting at all
Jun 30, 2023 5:55 PM
Feb 2016
HRinka said:
I was hooked at the first few episodes because the concept is so unique but it kinda fell off for me midway because I just wanted to go back to the 'current' timeline because I was invested with Yanoshin TO ONLY FIND OUT HE DIDNT MATTER AT ALL. Then I read some synopsis of the manga chapters and I guess it's just about the history of the Ooku then how it was abolished? I mean it's only 70+ chapters but the wiki was so long lol i didnt bother to read until the end.

I don't know if it's the art direction  but I was really really invested in the first half, not that I didn't like the romance between the monk and the first female shogun. I was just whiplashed into a story within the story and I wasn't satsified because of the abrupt conclusion by the end. I never got attached to the monk because I didn't find him interesting at all
there are multiple protagonists, the whole story touches 7 generations of female shogun in 200 years. Arikoto story will end with the next shogun and then they shift protagonists again. The shogun from the first episode is the fifth fem shogun so its a long way to reach that point
Jun 30, 2023 6:33 PM

Oct 2009
AestheticLaifu said:
HRinka said:

there are multiple protagonists, the whole story touches 7 generations of female shogun in 200 years. Arikoto story will end with the next shogun and then they shift protagonists again. The shogun from the first episode is the fifth fem shogun so its a long way to reach that point
Thanks for the info! I've read that Chiyo falls in love  with him?? I hope they'll have another season, but I guess they'll have one season per Shogun? I couldve sworn I saw the 'fire' in Chiyo's arc in the  trailer for this season so I was confused. Maybe they'll show the next part soon, but if not I might be tempted to read the manga lol
Jul 1, 2023 9:30 AM
Sep 2015
I'd totally believe if someone said this is based on true story because it's very convincing.

The MVP of this season, I've to give to Kasuga, it's been a long time that elderly woman was given such an important role as this.

Anyway, Netflix needs to stop releasing all episode at once, weekly release like TV anime can maintain the popularity for several months.
phantomfandomJul 1, 2023 9:54 AM
Jul 2, 2023 4:28 PM
Mar 2021
loved this anime alot. strong 8/10 for me. well worth the binge
Jul 2, 2023 9:46 PM

Aug 2017
I was skeptical at first but alas, I was hooked, binged this at Netflix, and was intrigued by the plot and I ended up crying for Arikoto.
I was hoping that there would be another season or ONA to set a proper ending for the current shogun.

Jul 4, 2023 4:38 PM
Aug 2020
great show, unusual and that's what i like, it  was interesting
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 4, 2023 6:20 PM
May 2020
Well a great series despite all of the Netflix hate Iemitsu made hard decisions for Japan's future.
This would have been nice with more of a back story on the classes of citizens 24 eps would have been perfect.
Wish that the animation was more on point seemed rushed.
Also would have liked a medical viewpoint on the illness like a doctor trying to solve the plague.
All in all 8/10 for me
Jul 5, 2023 5:56 AM
Jul 2023
alpo42ab said:
Well a great series despite all of the Netflix hate Iemitsu made hard decisions for Japan's future.
This would have been nice with more of a back story on the classes of citizens 24 eps would have been perfect.
Wish that the animation was more on point seemed rushed.
Also would have liked a medical viewpoint on the illness like a doctor trying to solve the plague.
All in all 8/10 for me
they actually take a more medical viewpoint from around volume 8 in the manga :)!!
Jul 6, 2023 8:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I was so happy when I read that one of my favourite manga of all time was getting an adaptation since that always brings more people into the source material. But I was stoked when they actually delivered a very capable anime too. The animation is not great but that is to be expected with the small budget a small non-hype property like this gets. The music, voice acting and delivery are all on point as is the directing. And of course the storetelling is slow, it's a period piece not a brainless isekai.
Crossing my fingers for a S2. Know that is a pipe dream but stranger things have happened. A lot of story left to tell with some great characters.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 7, 2023 2:47 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
was a really great show, executed expertly on its premise, i do feel like it probably won't get continued even though it feels like there's more story to tell.

i also hope it will find a fanbase in time and not just get buried under the seasonal avalanche and netflix's classic lack of support.
Jul 7, 2023 4:21 PM

May 2010
How did I complete this in one night?!

Anyway, I went into this blind. Was expecting some sort of old-time reverse harem. Didn't expect it to get political and I'm not really complaining. Though at one point I wondered when the flashback would end as I was interested in the current shogun. Overall it still kept me interested to continue watching. Not sure if I care enough to read the manga but I'd wish for a second season.
Jul 9, 2023 4:49 AM

Aug 2011
After reading the summary, I had to watch this series and it did not disappoint. As someone mentioned earlier, the music is powerful and was perfect for the era. Awesome characters, although the personalities irked me a bit, but I guess that was the culture and what made the plot so interesting.

Other than the reveal of the cause of the red small pox, not sure if this needs a season 2; sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. I doubt it would have the same impact. 
Jul 9, 2023 10:41 PM
Jul 2023
I can't wait to watch the second season.So anyone can tell me when the second season starts.(I don't wanna watch the live version).I can't find anything on Twitter.
Jul 11, 2023 11:03 PM
Oct 2021
this anime went so under the radar wth
historical is such a good genre but i definitely understand why people don't watch it, i always have a hard time understanding the story😭

my heart aches for arikoto, mvp of the season, he deserved better
Jul 12, 2023 10:26 AM

Jun 2013
I liked the premise of the story but I honestly had trouble finishing this through, not because it was bad but because it was just painful to watch Arikoto in constant yearning. It's been a while since I've seen such a well-written character, being and choosing to be kind despite the harshness of everything is truly admirable. Arikoto deserved better plus Mamo who voiced him was a double jab at my poor heart. ;_;
Jul 15, 2023 3:16 PM

Feb 2017
How deeply unsettling. Arikoto never left that place! He should have become an abbot or left and found a wife! Not been stuck still fulfilling the Shogun's interests. Oh my god the Ooku was limbo and a prison. There was nothing for him there, he just gave up his freedom and future, and any hope of a future love for duty and remained trapped in that cage.
Jul 22, 2023 3:41 PM
Nov 2021
I am sad it is so short, I binged it in one day it rly made me think and feel all kind of emotions.It is sad that it wont be very popular, but it will reach some poeple and that is important.
Jul 28, 2023 4:01 PM

Oct 2019
I really wished they kinda gave an anime original end to at least transition us back to the present day.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Aug 9, 2023 4:41 PM

Oct 2016
The premise, and coming from Netflix, made it sound like it would be woke garbage, and the first episode wasn't very serious. But the rest of them turned it into the biggest and most pleasant surprise of the year so far for me.

Certainly a dark and not very enjoyable watch for most, more like an acquired taste, but it was overall well written and well presented, and that's what I care about the most.
Aug 10, 2023 10:44 AM
Jan 2015
This series was great. Now I feel so empty inside! :'(
It seems not many people are interested in the anime and that really is a shame. I doubt there will be a second season but I'll at least hope for it.
Aug 11, 2023 12:54 PM

Apr 2018
Mirorin said:
Wow first post?

I binge watched this! It feels like the story is JUST getting started. Personally I'm a fan of the current lady shogun, she's very strong and fair. 

I would love to see a second season of this, but I have a feeling it won't be that popular of a series. It's slow and political. I was hoping for a sleeper hit like Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, but if nothing else, maybe this will help the manga get popularity!

Thanks Netflix. It was a good watch.

+1.

I watched this show in one day. Rate it a 9.5/10

Man it's soo hurtful to see the life of Arikoto. The guy has nothing for himself... and still he's the nicest person ever.

I don't understand why Iemetsu put the rule of killing the first concubin. I know his story but it was "an accident".
The others after her will punish lot of "innocent" people.

I have mixed feelings about Iemetsu. Since she just could "having s*x fast" and after that go to join Arikoto. It would have been less hurtful and have less probabily about having emotion for others concubin. But i guess, it was like that back in the days.. Idk... ( now luckily people have in vitro )

And I hope we will see a "happy story" without having very sad moments in season 2. But i guess, it's not possible since it's the charm of the show.
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes.
It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo.
Aug 11, 2023 12:57 PM

Apr 2018
CaptainKenshiro said:
The premise, and coming from Netflix, made it sound like it would be woke garbage, and the first episode wasn't very serious. But the rest of them turned it into the biggest and most pleasant surprise of the year so far for me.

Certainly a dark and not very enjoyable watch for most, more like an acquired taste, but it was overall well written and well presented, and that's what I care about the most.

+1 ! true. I tought at first watching the first min/synopsy, that it will be like that. But actually it's so much deeper. And it's around sad feelings, sacrifice made, forbidden love...
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes.
It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo.
Aug 12, 2023 4:56 AM
May 2020
I will miss this anime. Highly recommended
Aug 12, 2023 12:54 PM
Mar 2022
wow I don't know from where to start okay first Will there be a second, season second woww I have no words to discredit how I feel about this show but it was really fascinating and lovely I really want a Season 2 , i will rate this anime 8.5/10 in my list but on MAL 10/10

Aug 19, 2023 2:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty solid show, this. When I first read the premise of the show, I wasn't sure what to expect and the first episode left me even more confused, but I'm glad I stuck around to the very end. 

Expected to return to the current Shogun's time, but I guess it'll move sequentially. That was the end of the third, and now the fourth awaits. Can't say anyone had it easy but got to give props to Arikoto-san for continuing down the line in Oooku chambers. I'd a feeling this'd be the case when he started taking care of the bedridden Kasuga-san, in particular. I'm surprised O-Natsu and O-Tama were able to leave under the guise of Monks though, that's good for them, I suppose. 

Definitely down to see more of this story! 7/10. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 25, 2023 2:38 PM

Jun 2012
I started this one night when I left my cozy home for some work stuff, watched the 1st eps, closed the TV and thought to myself, this masterpiece, I have to watch it with my wife, she isn't one to watch anime, but this one will surely catch her attention, and it sure did. We finished it in 2 days time and we are glad that we don't have to go through such heavy and duty bound lives like the mc's in this story.
At least Mizuno had a happy ending, since Iemitsu and Arikoto draw the short stick.
Aug 30, 2023 1:03 PM
Nov 2022
a very underrated anime. It definitely needs more attention. Since I am very interested in history, the anime was perfect for me. Ōoku: The Inner Chambers perfectly reflects the life of the people in Japan at that time. I also found all the political issues very interesting. Only the romance between Arikoto and Iemitsu came for me a bit too short. On the whole, I found the anime very entertaining, 8/10. I hope there will eventually be a 2 season.
Sep 3, 2023 1:39 AM

Feb 2019
Finally finished it and man I hate that Arikoto and Chie never really got their happy ending. It’s totally understandable that Arikoto didn’t want to occasionally sleep with Chie. Seeing all those people fuck the girl you love has got to hurt.

The whole situation is so fucked up. Arikoto being forced to leave his life as a monk, the other monks getting killed, the Stockholm syndrome with Kasuga… it’s just all so messed up and everyone in this story deserves better. I’m gonna read the manga at some point cause I need to know what happened after. I wish we would’ve seen a reaction from the 7th shogun from the start of the series. All of this is happening in the past while they’re reading the diary, but I would like to see their thoughts on it!
Marinate1016Sep 3, 2023 1:49 AM
Sep 29, 2023 11:24 PM
Nov 2018
Good watch. Breathe of fresh air in comparison to the usual plots of anime. The story's era is really interesting but I would really love it more if seasons reaching the abolishment of Ooku will come, considering the fact that the current shogun that discovered the journal is pretty unique. I hope cure will be birthed in her era.

Awesome naration of the story, I could almost believe it was true by how it was perfectly executed. Anw, old Japanese lit is really interesting. One of my fave is In the Grove. This anime made me feel nostalgic in learning through college the Japanese lit. I hope many would notice this hidden gem but I know the common will not be fascinated in this.
Oct 1, 2023 7:40 AM

May 2020
And thus began the females' use of male names as they became lords.

The season ended with the fourth shogun, Ietsuna. But I was waiting for the current shogun to close the book and continue the present 🤧.

Will see if there'll be a new season.

Miyano Mamoru and Yuuki Kaji pair always one to expect.
Tsuyo_MikaOct 2, 2023 10:30 PM
Oct 6, 2023 8:51 PM
Mar 2015
The shogun dies leaving our boi to raise Chiyo to be the next shogun The men were nothing but studs while the women worked themselves to death
Oct 30, 2023 2:04 AM

Mar 2012
ooku isn't a fun watch but it's very good.
it's well written to the point of being believable and no one is a really good person in it, but you can't really dislike anyone because as the story unfolds, you get to see why people are the way they are.
i don't really understand netflix so i have no idea if we'll get another season, but this left me really wanting to read the manga. i was so sad to find out they haven't released it in my language. ); but i'll look for it online.
Oct 30, 2023 1:59 PM

Feb 2021
Let's wait for the remaining chapters to be adapted! It is a brilliant story indeed!
Nov 5, 2023 1:33 AM
Nov 2016
I binged this anime and I was so pleasantly surprised. Definitely did not expect such a strong plot and beautifully detailed characters and wonderful character development. There have been attempts at writing a story with a setting where females dominate men but none have been excecuted nearly as jaw droppingly satisfying as this one. I didn't expect to find a decent anime on Netflix I'm so grateful for this gem. It reminde me so much of Rakugo but sinc it's labelled Josei I doubt that many people will watch it. I don't understand the reason for the low ratings either but that makes it all the mor a hidden gem. History is always changed by extraordinarily powerful people regardless of their nature and here we see exactly what it takes to lead a country. An incredibly enjoyable watch.
Dec 8, 2023 8:05 AM
Nov 2017
Extremely interesting concept, but at times it felt less like an anime and more like a poorly written middle school fanfiction. Still entertaining.
Dec 19, 2023 8:12 AM
Feb 2015
Finally, the door of Oooku closed for the late shogun and open for the new one which is Tokugawa Ietsuna. Arikoto played his role as Senior Chamberlain of Oooku till the end and as replacement of father figure. Before iemitsu passed away, he revealed his true feeliing, he also can't bear to watch her be own by other physically and requested to be withdraw from the nightly duty. It sad but fitting as she already have child and any longer of their rendezvous would be torment to him.

Truly spectacular show because of the tragedy, it show the beautiful resistance to adversity and people will to live in trying time. The show also brilliantly making full use of romance and gender role as plot to advance the story not as fanservice, something that rarely done in anime. It will be in my top historical romance for a long time.
Dec 27, 2023 5:32 AM

Dec 2015
I really love this title, but it just feels like a prologue. It covers the situation in the country, how the court deals with it, the motivations and actions of some select people in Edo castle, short glimpses at the situation of the common people... The series draws a lively picture in just a few episodes and makes me yearning for more. I hope the it gets continued. I consider it already the best political drama I know in the MAL database.
Jan 6, 5:59 PM
Mar 2019
He will continue to give everything up for a life of servitude, albeit a better life now.
Jan 21, 9:48 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Nothing good ever happens in this anime :(
Mar 7, 1:43 PM

Jun 2020
Criminally underrated. Hoping that there will be another season, the story is amazing. If you’re familiar with China palace drama/politics the plot was real easy to get into and I think every woman should watch this. Fucking epic. Mamo voice acting was so great too. I really loved it. Chie, what a woman. And Arikoto, what a man. Definitely getting into the manga!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Apr 25, 10:54 PM

Nov 2012
this was great, defo need a s2! Hard to believe this only covered the first 15 chapters, so could get another similarly sized 4 or so seasons for a full adaptation?
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oooku Episode 4 Discussion

SabreDrago - Jun 30, 2023

17 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 25, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Oooku Episode 1 Discussion

Farabeuf - Jun 29, 2023

41 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 25, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Oooku Episode 6 Discussion

8 by Kvistis »»
Feb 22, 9:32 PM

Poll: » Oooku Episode 2 Discussion

SabreDrago - Jun 29, 2023

11 by Kvistis »»
Feb 19, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Oooku Episode 9 Discussion

8 by bushman66 »»
Jan 6, 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.