Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 2, 2022 6:28 AM

Aug 2021
Derfel10 said:
Shioneri said:
Highly agreed, I find most 3d animation in anime looks very stiff with cheap models which result in being unbearably horrible, Berserk 2016 has both but Berserk 2012 has decent models, the only problem is just felt too laggy and unnatural, if they could fix this it sure be as good as Orange works

And from the preview of the bonfire scene you can see that the models are even better now.

Berserk 2016 not only looks stiff, but they also had that horrible shading going on, trying to simulate a 2d animation. There's nothing good about this sin of anime, apart from the soundtrack.

Yeah right, I heard they also plan to add the scenes of Judeau's last words of farewells so I hope they gonna nailed it since it was a terrible decision not including that on the movies trilogy
Oct 2, 2022 8:37 AM
Aug 2021
I don’t see any reason to watch this. Although it’s been years since originally seeing this, I remember everything, including what they left out. If they do release something new as suggested above, I’ll watch it. I really enjoyed it the first time but not so much to watch it again.
Oct 2, 2022 11:54 AM
May 2021
https://imgur.com/a/jWVdrGB

Here are all the important changes compared to the movies. They changed lots of facial features and improved Casca's hair

If you are interested in a new Berserk anime please watch this legally to voice your support and interest.
Oct 2, 2022 12:21 PM
Apr 2016
If someone wants more "fps" then you should try to watch it with interpolation on in your videoplayer (if not using Crunchyroll etc.) or with SVP 4 (SmoothVideo Project) program (30 days trial). Second one requires at least decent graphic card like gtx 1060. There are tutorials on the internet or Youtube. I watched Beastars s01 with such software for better fluidity.
Oct 2, 2022 12:24 PM
Apr 2016
Eventually Topaz Video Enhance AI or Flowframes.
Oct 2, 2022 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
Stardrake said:
Yeah, no. I forgot how bad the pacing was in the movies. It feels even worse here for some reason. They toned down the CGI, which is a good thing but overall, not much improvement (is it me, or is ost different?). One can only hope next 2 episodes actually add scenes from manga that were omitted from the movies like First battle and fucking character interactions.

TekTation said:
just give it to OLM to make it and stop making it 3D... such a good manga being all messed up...

Yeah, agreed. OLM probs is the best choice. They did way more with less. Give them normal budget and they'll make a masterpiece.

It's not the studio that counts, it's the staff (and also budget is a very minor factor in digital anime productions; I don't think Berserk 1997's relatively static animation was the result of a low budget). The odds that they could reassemble most of the original creative team are very slim, and reassembling everyone would be an impossibility. For instance, the art director, Kobayashi Shichiro, has been retired for a decade and passed away recently. I don't doubt that people working at OLM could put together an excellent Berserk anime if given the opportunity, but it would not be like the 1997 anime. It wouldn't be produced on cel, it wouldn't have the same art direction, etc. I would love it if there was another Berserk anime in a style resembling the 1997 series, but it's very unlikely to happen.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Oct 2, 2022 12:47 PM
Feb 2021
it was fine, expected nothing better
Oct 2, 2022 1:29 PM

Feb 2014
Brissinger said:
If someone wants more "fps" then you should try to watch it with interpolation on in your videoplayer (if not using Crunchyroll etc.) or with SVP 4 (SmoothVideo Project) program (30 days trial). Second one requires at least decent graphic card like gtx 1060. There are tutorials on the internet or Youtube. I watched Beastars s01 with such software for better fluidity.

Did this man actually just suggest that people should watch an entire anime series interpolated or am I tripping πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Oct 2, 2022 4:03 PM
Nov 2019
I think Berserk has so much potential in anime form it's just never really quite got there. The way the dialogue is delivered, hearing the sounds of the horses and wind, scenery in color leaving less to the imagination and more to the artist, these are all stuff that are great in this version but unfortunately are overshadowed but that awful outdated cg which somehow looks even more out of place then the movies from the comparisons I've seen.
I don't agree with the idea they should give up on The Golden Age arc, Even though another Golden Age adaptation feels like beating a dead horse I do believe that if this is successful we don't only need a new Golden Age but a new Black Swordsmen adaptation before it. Golden Age is the pinnacle of Berserk, the part of the story that everything else is based upon and relates to emotionally and thematically and visually, if we can we should strive for it to be done the best it can even if it is for the third time now. And The Black Swordsman is the build up that gives you the prespective to go into the Golden Age with. Very weird IMO how every adaptation seems to not really care that such a main thing like seeing Femto BEFORE The Golden Age, actually hearing who he is and coming into the Golden Age with that knowledge is not adapted first, It's wild to me.
I hope that something like the death of the mangaka would atleast stop the corporate greed to get to the next adaptation if we do get one, and a well organized team with a clear vision and a respectful time schedule can get to work on this amazing manga that never found it's right voice in anime form.
Oct 2, 2022 4:13 PM
Sep 2015
Drax72 said:
TheAnimeWorld said:

This is not a new Anime, just a TV-Edit of the Movies. If this is successful, we might get a new Adaptation besides the Golden Age. The official site has a 70 days countdown. Maybe for a new Anime project.
Is this a adaption of Season 1 or what is this ?

This is a TV-Edit of the Movies which basically is Season 1 as it adapts the second arc of Berserk or the first arc in chronological order.
Oct 2, 2022 4:57 PM

Oct 2018
Ordnas22 said:
https://imgur.com/a/jWVdrGB

Here are all the important changes compared to the movies. They changed lots of facial features and improved Casca's hair

If you are interested in a new Berserk anime please watch this legally to voice your support and interest.

Thanks for the comparison.
Oct 3, 2022 12:06 AM

Aug 2015
quality i need a remake hopefully after the end of this
Oct 3, 2022 12:16 AM

Aug 2020
Drax72 said:
Animeizreal said:
not an animation that Berserk deserves, but this is what we got so, guess i'm gonna enjoy it
It's the Berserk movie trilogy edited to a TV format with minor changes. The movies followed the same part of the manga as the 1997 Berserk series did.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Oct 3, 2022 10:43 AM

Jul 2012
So far, it's just small adjustments in lighting, storyboard (the little flashback scene is far better now), some shortened cuts that went for too long in the movie anyway.

Very nice stopping point, this TV edit is going well for now, but I do hope it give us some more scenes like the one teased in the trailer going forward. Guts flashback has a great opportunity to be expanded upon in full later on,

There's a countdown going on up to episode 10 (70 days in total), so I imagine is where they will announce the more major adaptation expansions and perhaps a Black Swordsman arc adaptation.

DanpmssOct 3, 2022 10:47 AM
Oct 3, 2022 11:22 AM

Mar 2022
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Stardrake said:
Yeah, no. I forgot how bad the pacing was in the movies. It feels even worse here for some reason. They toned down the CGI, which is a good thing but overall, not much improvement (is it me, or is ost different?). One can only hope next 2 episodes actually add scenes from manga that were omitted from the movies like First battle and fucking character interactions.

Yeah, agreed. OLM probs is the best choice. They did way more with less. Give them normal budget and they'll make a masterpiece.

It's not the studio that counts, it's the staff (and also budget is a very minor factor in digital anime productions; I don't think Berserk 1997's relatively static animation was the result of a low budget). The odds that they could reassemble most of the original creative team are very slim, and reassembling everyone would be an impossibility. For instance, the art director, Kobayashi Shichiro, has been retired for a decade and passed away recently. I don't doubt that people working at OLM could put together an excellent Berserk anime if given the opportunity, but it would not be like the 1997 anime. It wouldn't be produced on cel, it wouldn't have the same art direction, etc. I would love it if there was another Berserk anime in a style resembling the 1997 series, but it's very unlikely to happen.

While I agree with most of this, 1997 version did have low budget and did have major factor in adapting the series since, back then everything was going into Pokemon anime. Berserk was originally planned for 26 episodes but they end up cutting it to 25. Now, it's different story. And besides, studio can do whatever art style they want to. If they want to copy Berserk 97 style, they can. Like you said, it is up to director and creative team.
Oct 4, 2022 3:08 AM

Jul 2016
TheAnimeWorld said:
Drax72 said:

This is a TV-Edit of the Movies which basically is Season 1 as it adapts the second arc of Berserk or the first arc in chronological order.

Still some good old Berserk though so happy to watch.
Oct 4, 2022 6:54 AM
Aug 2020
i think guts is god
Oct 4, 2022 9:51 AM
Jun 2019
poemofdevil said:
Been a long time since I've seen the movies. The CG hasn't aged well. I remember not disliking it when the films were originally released, but it looked rough in this episode. Whatever... I enjoyed this nonetheless.

The CG improved a fair bit by movie 2+3, it was pretty bad in the first one.
Oct 4, 2022 1:41 PM

Apr 2012
I don't remember, their interaction from the original anime was also that homoerotic? It feels like even Casca thought several times that Guts would be her rival for his heart lol.
Oct 5, 2022 9:15 AM
Jan 2017
muito foda tem potencial de ser igual o manga
Oct 6, 2022 6:48 AM
Jul 2016
Nothing new to see here. It seems like is just the Golden Age Arc Trilogy movie broken down into episodes, but apparently to some comments online new or cut scenes will be added.

So far I have seen nothing new on this episode. It was the same scenes n pacing as the movie.

I did enjoyed the ending theme, so that's a positive aspect.
Oct 7, 2022 6:18 AM
Jun 2022
StaleNut said:
Marmer said:
They cut donovan from the flashback

They didn't tho...Didn't your recognize that beautiful face of his?

A jerker in the wild
Oct 7, 2022 12:05 PM

Dec 2016
I loved the 90s version so much and never watched these movies. Getting to revisit the story in this format is kind of fun… but it is making me miss the music from the original.
Oct 7, 2022 4:06 PM
Sep 2016
Gray009 said:
berserk Manga is 10/10

berserk 1997 is 10/10

but this is 7/10

That's a generous score
Oct 8, 2022 9:14 PM
Aug 2019
I liked it, it was good
Oct 8, 2022 11:46 PM
Aug 2018
TheAnimeWorld said:
BlichoBoy said:
Berserk is Berserk.

Nothing new content wise from 1997

I don't really remember if the 3D parts were in the movie, is kinda bad still, but a little better than the after Eclipse anime.

Berserk anime need to stop thinking on the Golden Age and move on.

This is not a new Anime, just a TV-Edit of the Movies. If this is successful, we might get a new Adaptation besides the Golden Age. The official site has a 70 days countdown. Maybe for a new Anime project.
i would be down for another 3movies that focus on The Black Swordmen/Conviction Arc for an entire movie
Oct 9, 2022 12:36 AM
Sep 2015
Anonymous_User54 said:
TheAnimeWorld said:

i would be down for another 3movies that focus on The Black Swordmen/Conviction Arc for an entire movie

Would be awesome if they continue. The other arcs work better in movie format.
Black Swordsman in 1 Movie
Lost Children in 1 Movie
Holy Iron Chain/Bit of Conviction in 1 movie
Rest of Conviction in 1 movie
Or they make a TV Anime 12-13 episodes every time
Oct 9, 2022 2:15 AM

May 2021
CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG

2016 was worse than this? Holy Griffith's gay aura! Not joking, if I hadn't read the manga, I would have totally thought this is a romance between Guts and Griffith.

Oct 11, 2022 6:44 PM
Jul 2017
I don't know much about berserk manga or anime, but that was one hell of an episode. I'm happy to enter the world of berserk through this adaptation.
Oct 13, 2022 8:45 AM

Nov 2020
Well I have mixed felling about this tbh. On one hand I think it was great and on the other I just think it's meh. Well I am happy with any new things for berserk but I hope next episodes will be a little better. As far as I remember this is similiar if not even the same just like it was in Golden Age arc movies...
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

Oct 14, 2022 1:56 PM

Mar 2010
Seems like the same ol shit, I mean it wasn't bad nor good, twas more nostalgic but i'm guessing thats just what us parrots say :v

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 15, 2022 11:12 AM
Oct 2022
there is a lot of CGI
Oct 15, 2022 12:49 PM

Oct 2013
Let's go, new Berserk TV series! I wonder how movies are going to be turned into episodic format. I hope we will see more than one additional scene.

Good episode. Its pacing was nice (whileit was not perfect, it felt better than the pacing from first 20 minutes of Movie 1, to be frank) and visuals were pleasant to watch. I saw improvement compared to the first movie. More light effects, more detailed faces of background characters, more shots with better dynamism.

So far it looked alright, even though I knew what to expect, since I'm familiar with the manga and I saw the original movie trilogy. I'm glad that I was able to easily detect many improvements done here or there. I bet there were more of them that I just didn't notice myself.

Marmer said:
They cut donovan from the flashback

He was there, in the slideshow shown during Guts' fever nightmare. Memorial Edition had this fragment improved compared to its movie version, so we could actually see something (like characters), instead of just looking at fog running in few frames per seconds, lol.
AdnashOct 15, 2022 12:55 PM
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
Oct 16, 2022 5:01 PM
Jan 2016
are they crazy. sirusly going to remeber the master piece with this crap I rather not watch it.
Oct 16, 2022 11:43 PM
Aug 2018
TheAnimeWorld said:
Anonymous_User54 said:

Would be awesome if they continue. The other arcs work better in movie format.
Black Swordsman in 1 Movie
Lost Children in 1 Movie
Holy Iron Chain/Bit of Conviction in 1 movie
Rest of Conviction in 1 movie
Or they make a TV Anime 12-13 episodes every time

I want Wit Studio to due anime of berserk tbh, shock that no big streaming service has done it yet wonder why
Nov 13, 2022 6:05 PM

May 2015
Leaving nostalgia and CGI hate aside, should I watch this or the 90s version?
Not sure how well has aged the old Berserk. I'm thinking maybe I could try this as my first Berserk experience.
(I don't read manga btw)
Nov 14, 2022 8:13 PM
Sep 2008
anikevin said:
Leaving nostalgia and CGI hate aside, should I watch this or the 90s version?
Not sure how well has aged the old Berserk. I'm thinking maybe I could try this as my first Berserk experience.
(I don't read manga btw)

The 90s version is the best animated adaptation of Berserk. It still has it's issues, but adapts the manga more faithfully both story wise and in capturing the feel of the manga through the artwork and music.
(You should read manga btw)
Dec 6, 2022 4:16 AM

May 2015
Griffith wants Guts and is already treating him differently from the other folks as casca says. Griffith definitely has courage here.
Dec 28, 2022 7:28 PM

Feb 2021
The story is same but the graphic is improved.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 15, 2023 12:38 PM

Oct 2019
so is this going to be yet again another remake of the original? or will they add something new, i wish some studio would actually finish the damn story instead of remaking it again and again πŸ™„
Jan 16, 2023 1:20 AM

Oct 2010
The comparisons against the '97 anime favor this series actually quite a lot..
Jan 16, 2023 11:49 AM

Aug 2015
I would imagine Memorial edition to be without CGI that I saw in this 1. ep.
Jan 22, 2023 9:14 AM
Oct 2016
non mi piace il genere
Apr 6, 2023 7:01 PM
Jul 2020
loving the animation, and the nostalgia from the first series. it's nice to see how different fighting with a greatsword is from fighting with a regular sword.
Sep 3, 2023 3:54 PM

Feb 2018
Guts vs Bazuso.. and then of course the classic first duel between Griffith and Guts. Golden Age arc is SUCH a classic..
Apr 18, 11:02 AM
Aug 2018
I've just finished reading the Golden Age arc.

I've read that this memorial edition is basically the trilogy movie but remastered into 13 episodes, so I don't have to watch the movies, right?

Anyway, seeing the characters come to life from manga to anime form is pretty interesting. Having read the manga, Guts's flashback with Donovan and Gambino was a good way to refresh my memory.

Griffith with his pretty face and charisma, Casca being jealous at the start, Corkus, my boy Pippin, etc.

I didn't expect Judeau to sound like that... bummer. I thought he'd sound more... girlish? I don't know.

Pretty good first episode so far.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 10 Discussion

von_Lohengramm - Dec 3, 2022

30 by SonnaBaka »»
May 19, 6:48 AM

» Do I need to watch the old berserk to watch this?

Pink_Chipmunk - Oct 1, 2022

17 by iluvanime69 »»
May 6, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Homura24 - Dec 24, 2022

51 by Tamasul »»
Apr 21, 3:52 PM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 12 Discussion

Homura24 - Dec 17, 2022

30 by Tamasul »»
Apr 21, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 11 Discussion

Homura24 - Dec 10, 2022

27 by Tamasul »»
Apr 20, 7:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.