Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 1, 2022 10:50 AM

Jul 2011
Berserk is Berserk.

Nothing new content wise from 1997

I don't really remember if the 3D parts were in the movie, is kinda bad still, but a little better than the after Eclipse anime.

Berserk anime need to stop thinking on the Golden Age and move on.

Oct 1, 2022 11:03 AM
Sep 2015
BlichoBoy said:
Berserk is Berserk.

I don't really remember if the 3D parts were in the movie, is kinda bad still, but a little better than the after Eclipse anime.

This is not a new Anime, just a TV-Edit of the Movies. If this is successful, we might get a new Adaptation besides the Golden Age. The official site has a 70 days countdown. Maybe for a new Anime project.
Oct 1, 2022 11:13 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
7 silver coins and the blood sprouts! kekeke

I liked the characters style animation!!
Oct 1, 2022 11:13 AM
Aug 2022
TheAnimeWorld said:
BlichoBoy said:
Berserk is Berserk.

This is not a new Anime, just a TV-Edit of the Movies. If this is successful, we might get a new Adaptation besides the Golden Age. The official site has a 70 days countdown. Maybe for a new Anime project.

I think the countdown may be for the eclipse. I wouldn't be too hopeful for new content tbh. They didn't even try polishing the animation in the first episode.
Oct 1, 2022 11:15 AM
Aug 2022
BERK is back. At this point any Berserk content is enough for me. The quality is the same as the movies tho, which is a bummer.
Oct 1, 2022 11:20 AM
Oct 2019
They cut donovan from the flashback
Oct 1, 2022 11:30 AM

May 2018
The 3d isn't that bad, but the fps is terrible. If Studio 4C fix the fps in the cgi and kept mixing with the 2d scenes which are pretty as hell, I would be more than satisfied.

StaleNut said:

I think the countdown may be for the eclipse. I wouldn't be too hopeful for new content tbh. They didn't even try polishing the animation in the first episode.

Let a man dream and be disappointed again, my friend.
Oct 1, 2022 11:32 AM
Aug 2022
Derfel10 said:
The 3d isn't that bad, but the fps is terrible. If Studio 4C fix the fps in the cgi and kept mixing with the 2d scenes which are pretty as hell, I would be more than satisfied.

StaleNut said:

We've been disappointed so many times with these adaptations, that it's become impossible to have any real hope.

Although I really would give my left nut for a good Black Swordsman arc adaptation.
Oct 1, 2022 11:32 AM
Aug 2022
Marmer said:

They didn't tho...Didn't your recognize that beautiful face of his?
Oct 1, 2022 11:40 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well I always avoided the 3D Berserk so I did the same for the movie trilogy since I saw this arc in the 1997 version obviously but I decided to give it a try since they're doing it in TV version, I can't say I'm really used to this 3D animation but still nice to re-discover the beginning and especially the legendary fight between Guts and Griffith
Oct 1, 2022 11:41 AM
Sep 2021
Ravord2 said:
I haven't seen the movies
are there some new scenes in this episode?

I watched the movies multiple times, and I compared the episode to the movies. I can assure there isn't even one frame of new scene in this episode. It's just a cut of the first 25 minutes of the first movie. They could have properly animated Gut's childhood, but they didn't. I hope it won't be the same for the whole season.
Oct 1, 2022 11:55 AM

Apr 2021
berserk Manga is 10/10

berserk 1997 is 10/10

but this is 7/10
[jmg align=right]https://i.imgur.com/XLRDPsi.png?1[/img]
anime list
manga list
blog posts

Oct 1, 2022 12:00 PM

Oct 2021
i never really bothered watching berserk movie triology so that makes me a first timer however i gotta say it was a good experience though they could have toned down cgi a bit but it was okay i guess seeing how complex miura's art is to replicate and griffith vs guts fight was very well animated...as i am seeing that some guys are complaining that they added nothing new to first episode but be patient guys i read they are going to add a whole ass new episode dedicated to bonefire of dreams segment and we are getting a new announcement in dec which might be continuation of this arc so yeah dont loose hope because this might be type of an experiment to analyze if berserk fanbase is still alive or not.
Oct 1, 2022 12:13 PM

Apr 2021
Is this going to lead into an adaptation of the arc after golden age?
Oct 1, 2022 12:35 PM

Jan 2018
Interesting episode. But the low frames are really hurting my eyes :D
Oct 1, 2022 12:51 PM

May 2020
more berserk is always good
the start of one of the greatest arcs in animanga
good to see guts, Griffith, Casca and the rest of the band of the hawk again
I had forgotten how much of a bitch I thought Casca was at the start of this arc
even though I watched the 90s version and the movies I'm still enjoying this
Homura24Oct 2, 2022 12:50 AM

Oct 1, 2022 12:54 PM
Mar 2016
just give it to OLM to make it and stop making it 3D... such a good manga being all messed up...
Oct 1, 2022 1:26 PM
Sep 2015
TekTation said:
just give it to OLM to make it and stop making it 3D... such a good manga being all messed up...

How is it being messed up? The CGI is not the best, but not eye-hurtingly bad & the 2D parts are some of the best looking 2D Anime out there.
Direction is great, OST is great and animation Is the best we can hope for, for a seinen show with a nieche audience. 2016/17 anime on the other hand are disgusting.
OLMs 1997 version barely is animated. Just well directed, great Ost & doesnt cut as much content as the movies.
Oct 1, 2022 1:31 PM

Mar 2019
Been a long time since I've seen the movies. The CG hasn't aged well. I remember not disliking it when the films were originally released, but it looked rough in this episode. Whatever... I enjoyed this nonetheless.

Looking forward to seeing the new content although I likely won't be able to recognize anything new unless it's post-eclipse material or Wyald since it's been a long time since I have seen these movies. Hopefully Wyald is in here as it would greatly benefit this memorial edition. And if the countdown is for the Black Swordsman arc and Lost Children that also would be incredible.
Oct 1, 2022 1:37 PM

Feb 2014
I kinda fell asleep while watching the first two movies of the trilogy, watching these is something I own to myself.
Oct 1, 2022 1:53 PM
Feb 2020
TheAnimeWorld said:
TekTation said:

How is it being messed up? The CGI is not the best, but not eye-hurtingly bad & the 2D parts are some of the best looking 2D Anime out there.
Direction is great, OST is great and animation Is the best we can hope for, for a seinen show with a nieche audience. 2016/17 anime on the other hand are disgusting.
OLMs 1997 version barely is animated. Just well directed, great Ost & doesnt cut as much content as the movies.

and it's even better when you consider that it was made in 2012
Oct 1, 2022 2:01 PM
Jan 2022
Marmer said:

No he’s still there but they cut all the audio from it with guts talking and struggling kinda leaving it to imagination. This makes me think well get his backstory, bc I mean it wasn’t muted in the movies but it is in the show so… I don’t know. I liked the episode, wasn’t that bad. In fact, i side by sided the movie with the ep and it looked a bit better in the episode, could see the new 3d for sure. We’ll have to see I suppose
Oct 1, 2022 2:10 PM

Apr 2011
I can't believe I'm submitting myself to this suffering yet again.
Oct 1, 2022 2:11 PM
Jun 2012
Beffiting of the masterpiece that is Berserk so far...
Oct 1, 2022 2:31 PM
Jul 2021
Even if it's just watching the 3D movies again, I have enjoyed this episode. Can't wait to see the next one
Oct 1, 2022 2:51 PM

Feb 2020
I'm hopeful that they might still put Guts' childhood, but at a later point. Because that is one of the most important parts that didn't make the cut for the movies.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Oct 1, 2022 3:06 PM
Apr 2016
It would be unfitting to put this so early in the show for newcommers and series pacing.
Oct 1, 2022 3:45 PM

Mar 2022
Yeah, no. I forgot how bad the pacing was in the movies. It feels even worse here for some reason. They toned down the CGI, which is a good thing but overall, not much improvement (is it me, or is ost different?). One can only hope next 2 episodes actually add scenes from manga that were omitted from the movies like First battle and fucking character interactions.

TekTation said:

Yeah, agreed. OLM probs is the best choice. They did way more with less. Give them normal budget and they'll make a masterpiece.
SaphiranOct 1, 2022 3:50 PM
Oct 1, 2022 5:28 PM
Jul 2020
Is it just me or was the animation of the faces in the 2d scenes sometimes kind weird.. Like why have you sometimes 10/10 animated faces and then some bavk2like shit
Oct 1, 2022 5:29 PM
Jul 2020
*Background........
Oct 1, 2022 6:02 PM

Oct 2020
Stardrake said:
Yeah, no. I forgot how bad the pacing was in the movies. It feels even worse here for some reason. They toned down the CGI, which is a good thing but overall, not much improvement (is it me, or is ost different?). One can only hope next 2 episodes actually add scenes from manga that were omitted from the movies like First battle and fucking character interactions.

TekTation said:

Yeah, agreed. OLM probs is the best choice. They did way more with less. Give them normal budget and they'll make a masterpiece.

people talk as if OLM is still the same as they were back in 1997.
Oct 1, 2022 6:32 PM
Feb 2020
They changed the CGI? idk why but it looks a little better to me
Vector5003Oct 1, 2022 6:47 PM
Oct 1, 2022 8:15 PM
Aug 2022
Hermoso siempre la primera parte de las pelis me gusto y aquí no fue la excepción re épico y re satisfactorio la putiza q le da guts a el Grifo
Oct 1, 2022 9:23 PM

Nov 2010
Although the story of the comics went astray, it's still good in this stage.

The arc shot (360 degree shot) for the protagonist was not a bad idea, since it's an advantage of 3D. But somehow the scene seemed jerky. The anime team may have used 2D background with 3D human models.
Oct 1, 2022 9:52 PM

Sep 2022
they didn't bother changing with the screen resolution, but i guess it's better than nothing.
Oct 1, 2022 10:30 PM

Jul 2020
Why did this need to be made? Wasn't the 97 one good enough? Even the movie trilogy seems pointless when they could have continued from the eclipse where the 97 anime left off. But no, we gotta milk the same arc over and over again instead of progressing the story.
Oct 1, 2022 10:42 PM

Oct 2008
such a refreshing feel! Berserk like a gaiden! awesome ep!
5/5.

Oct 2, 2022 12:15 AM

Dec 2020
I have never seen a bigger disappointment than this, you can see everything in the lag, honestly it was better with that game animation than this one, why don't they use the old one from 1997 and put it on this nasty one without any humor, the characters they move wildly, their mouths are REALLY from a game, embarrassing. And on top of that, the worst thing he could do, DID THE ACTORS CHANGE THE VOICES OF THE CHARACTERS, REALLY? Why are they re-adapting these scenes if there is already the first season from 1997, which is MUCH better than this, much is little said, it's the difference from earth to heaven.
Oct 2, 2022 12:58 AM
Jul 2021
First time seeing this I very briefly watched a movie I think a while ago and the 97 version and Jesus horrible sound design, character design and modelling, cgi looks like the first season of kingdom like how. This manga will never be able to be properly adapted plus they cut out so much material I feel like for anime only viewers guts it's just going to seem like this ruthless asshole for no justifiable reason
Oct 2, 2022 1:11 AM
May 2020
As someone who has never seen the movies,I'm impressed by the cgi,but on the story side od things,some scenes feel less impactful and shorter,but still,the episode is greatly paced,wish they would animate the black swordsman arc too,cause I heard they would add more scenes,but I guess we'll see.Also I don't like the 3 fps flashbacks.
Oct 2, 2022 1:12 AM
May 2020
BlichoBoy said:
Berserk is Berserk.

Agree,we got it like 4 times by now
Oct 2, 2022 1:16 AM
May 2020
Gray009 said:
berserk Manga is 10/10

berserk 1997 is 10/10

but this is 7/10

Same goes for me,I just gave up on a faithful adaptation that is gourgesly animated and just want to have a good enough adaptation,which is really sad.
Oct 2, 2022 2:00 AM

Aug 2021
Derfel10 said:

StaleNut said:

Highly agreed, I find most 3d animation in anime looks very stiff with cheap models which result in being unbearably horrible, Berserk 2016 has both but Berserk 2012 has decent models, the only problem is just felt too laggy and unnatural, if they could fix this it sure be as good as Orange works
Oct 2, 2022 2:04 AM

Apr 2021
Hydra112 said:
Gray009 said:
berserk Manga is 10/10

berserk 1997 is 10/10

but this is 7/10

Same goes for me,I just gave up on a faithful adaptation that is gourgesly animated and just want to have a good enough adaptation,which is really sad.

yeah berserk it's really good but the CGI
[jmg align=right]https://i.imgur.com/XLRDPsi.png?1[/img]
anime list
manga list
blog posts

Oct 2, 2022 4:02 AM

May 2018
Shioneri said:
Highly agreed, I find most 3d animation in anime looks very stiff with cheap models which result in being unbearably horrible, Berserk 2016 has both but Berserk 2012 has decent models, the only problem is just felt too laggy and unnatural, if they could fix this it sure be as good as Orange works

And from the preview of the bonfire scene you can see that the models are even better now.

Berserk 2016 not only looks stiff, but they also had that horrible shading going on, trying to simulate a 2d animation. There's nothing good about this sin of anime, apart from the soundtrack.
Oct 2, 2022 5:44 AM
Apr 2022
not an animation that Berserk deserves, but this is what we got so, guess i'm gonna enjoy it
Oct 2, 2022 5:54 AM
Apr 2022
Animeizreal said:
not an animation that Berserk deserves, but this is what we got so, guess i'm gonna enjoy it
Is this a adaption of Season 1 or what is this ?
Oct 2, 2022 5:55 AM
Apr 2022
TheAnimeWorld said:
BlichoBoy said:
Berserk is Berserk.

Oct 2, 2022 6:18 AM
Aug 2018
I was expecting them to change stuff. They had a chance to make a true adaptation. That they started as the movie started, instead of where the story started at Guts' childhood, shows that this probably isnt gonna be that good.

They are still making the same mistake that they made for the movies in general, which is focussing more on the battles. Berserk isnt about the fighting, it is first and foremost about Guts. I will keep watching, they may make amends to the pacing of the films, they may even have Guts' childhood as a flashback later on. I dont know yet, but I am not keeping my hopes up.
Oct 2, 2022 6:26 AM
Apr 2022
Drax72 said:
Animeizreal said:

not sure what u meant by adaption of season 1, but the synopsis says it's TV edit of the Berserk: The Golden Age Arc film trilogy, which aired in 2012~2013 and was a remake. there was already an adaptation of the original manga and that is the tv series 1997 Berserk.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 12 Discussion

Homura24 - Dec 17, 2022

31 by chinesecartoonz »»
Jul 16, 4:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 8 Discussion

Homura24 - Nov 19, 2022

45 by chinesecartoonz »»
Jul 16, 1:58 AM

» Why no sequel?

chriskris91 - Jun 29

5 by Broleta »»
Jul 1, 3:46 AM

Poll: » Berserk: Ougon Jidai-hen - Memorial Edition Episode 10 Discussion

von_Lohengramm - Dec 3, 2022

30 by SonnaBaka »»
May 19, 6:48 AM

» Do I need to watch the old berserk to watch this?

Pink_Chipmunk - Oct 1, 2022

17 by iluvanime69 »»
May 6, 9:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.