Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2010 10:37 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It was a fun historical fantasy manga. The very few chapters didn't impress me, but as the story went on the characters develop quite well; it made me care. Adolf Hitler was not a Jew, was him?

8-9/10
May 19, 2011 8:15 PM

Oct 2010
Aah... The story and the characters pass by so quickly. This is a very good manga, but I'm simply not used to the pacing, maybe because this one's pretty old and they have a different approach in making mangas back then. I don't feel like it's growing on me, but still... a very good historical manga. I feel sorry for the tragedy.

Best sentence I can muster is I'm glad I read this.
Aug 14, 2012 11:01 AM

May 2008
A nice fiction.. With some good facts.

I'm glad I found this manga as well.
May 26, 2013 2:49 PM

Feb 2012
This was pretty interesting, but not all too enjoyable until some of the end chapters. Kauffman had by far the most interesting lifestory and the post war chapters showed some interesting twists of fate. I couldn't really get into the japanese superman character that much. It would have been better if his time was more spent on Kamil.
Sep 13, 2013 1:39 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Another brilliant work by Tezuka. I really like all his stuff directed towards adults. The only bit I wasn't so keen was everything that took place in Israel/Palestine 30 years later. I think it should have ended in Japan with the end of the war.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 21, 2015 10:11 AM

Oct 2012
An interesting interpretation of the WW2 from point of view of the Japan and jews.

It was overall great, but I have one big complaint though:

Japan was made to look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too innocent - in reality the war on China side they mentioned was a huge rape fest as well as very prideless acts like using chemicals for war on behalf of Japan. Not even talking about their war with America, which wasn't much better...

Such details could be at least briefly shown.. but well.. ignorance is bliss, I guess, or that's the policy they take.

Other than that - I don't have much against the manga - a nicely made story which rather accurately described the despair war brings. Considering this was done back in 80's, when Japan was still finishing the recuperating from the WW2, it's more of a motivational piece of work for japanese.
9/10 from me.
Apr 30, 2015 3:38 AM

Jan 2015
Overall, it was a pretty good story. The characters develop well and the ending was original.
Jun 30, 2015 3:20 PM

Feb 2013
Enjoyable all the way through. Wish it was longer!
Jul 7, 2015 7:45 AM
💉 🩸 🩹 💖 🏥

Feb 2012
Very good read.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Dec 29, 2015 7:55 AM
Jul 2014
Glad I read this. Its terrible what war does to young kids.
Jan 26, 2016 5:17 PM

Aug 2011
Another really enjoyable work from Tezuka
May 9, 2017 11:32 AM

Nov 2012
A powerful message and an amazing character development for Adolf Kaufmann. the buildup in the earlier chapters was somewhat weak, and it has pacing issues. a very good read, regardless. i especially loved the last couple of chapters.

8/10
Dec 11, 2017 10:09 AM

Sep 2012
A really great work that depicts the horrors of war. 10/10
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Aug 1, 2020 8:18 PM

Feb 2017
Adolf Kaufmann had a very interesting development throughout the story. From a kid who opposed the discrimination toward the Jews, and then a Nazi that cared more about his Fatherland more than anything he had, which eventually neglecting his friendship, and finally a man that no longer had anything aside of his family (which eventually eradicated) and his sins over the years he lived. Kamil too, at first was a proud Jew with Japanese nationality that loathed discriminations and wars, but at the end he left his country and wasn't freed from the sins of murdering or even massacring.

Perhaps the setting made it more convenience for Tezuka to write a drama full of tragedies and betrayals, but he didn't simply abuse it, he did well with it. The way he expressed the dreadful nightmare of wars from plenty of perspectives was simply well done. I still can't forget the horror from the last 8 pages of chapter 17, when Kaufmann was given a chance to kill Kamil's father.
addictedtolivingAug 2, 2020 2:38 AM
Jul 7, 2021 4:26 PM

Jan 2019
This serie quite interesting, very good storytelling of wars in the matter of manga from japanese perspective.
Aug 10, 2022 7:57 AM

May 2020
This was a pretty decent story that was ruined for me by the execution. The cartoonish nature of the manga while presenting its dark subject matter just doesn’t work for me. I felt like this while reading Buddha too but it didn’t seem as bothersome to me.

The characters were fine (Although Toge was waaay too much of a Gary Stu for me). I liked the story of the Adolfs, mostly Kauffman, although really, he’s the only one that’s remotely developed. Kamil pops in occasionally and Hitler was just meh. Overall it was okay I guess.
Mar 2, 2023 4:04 AM
Oct 2021
As A Palestinian I would say I definitely didn't expect the last few chapters

Honestly the art style only bothered me in the first chapter, I think it works very well in the rest of the story

Overall pretty good read

Looking forward for more Tezuka
Nov 1, 2023 9:19 PM

Mar 2019
There were several moments in the story that bothered me a little, like everyone falling in love with someone just by looking at them once (seriously, it was like that with everyone), but that's just me being annoying lol.
The development of the characters was very well done, the series showed the horrors of war very well and it was great to see Adolf Kaufmann's karma coming back against him in the end.

9/10
Dec 5, 2023 5:18 PM

Oct 2022
Pretty good for the most part, Kauffman was by far the most interesting and best written character, wished some of the others were developed more but whatever. The worst part of the manga however is that Toge literally raped a women (in which she commits suicide right after) at the beginning and he faces no consequences after that. In fact the story does everything it can to make him look good but that's kind of hard to do knowing what he did. Obviously Kauffman was a way worse character morally but it's weird how Toge just gets off scot-free without anyone else close to him knowing about it.

Also this manga has some of the worst romance I have ever seen written before, even crappy fanfiction and hentai do a better job than this.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"

More topics from this board

» Adolf Chapter 5 Discussion

Lind_van_Taylor - Jul 22, 2023

2 by Ochimusha »»
Feb 29, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Adolf Chapter 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Apr 30, 2011

7 by Dartley »»
Jan 8, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Adolf ni Tsugu Chapter 23 Discussion

Bonedog - Sep 22, 2015

2 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:24 AM

» Adolf Chapter 14 Discussion

Lind_van_Taylor - Oct 21, 2023

1 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 30, 2023 1:22 PM

» When people complain about "unfittingly cartoony art", do they mean ALL of it or just the overtly silly moments

busterbeam - Oct 29, 2016

8 by TheMAM »»
Dec 3, 2022 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.