Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Adolf Chapter 36 Discussion

Apr 28, 2010 10:37 PM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It was a fun historical fantasy manga. The very few chapters didn't impress me, but as the story went on the characters develop quite well; it made me care. Adolf Hitler was not a Jew, was him?

8-9/10

May 19, 2011 8:15 PM

Aah... The story and the characters pass by so quickly. This is a very good manga, but I'm simply not used to the pacing, maybe because this one's pretty old and they have a different approach in making mangas back then. I don't feel like it's growing on me, but still... a very good historical manga. I feel sorry for the tragedy.

Best sentence I can muster is I'm glad I read this.

Aug 14, 2012 11:01 AM

A nice fiction.. With some good facts.

I'm glad I found this manga as well.

May 26, 2013 2:49 PM

This was pretty interesting, but not all too enjoyable until some of the end chapters. Kauffman had by far the most interesting lifestory and the post war chapters showed some interesting twists of fate. I couldn't really get into the japanese superman character that much. It would have been better if his time was more spent on Kamil.

Sep 13, 2013 1:39 PM
Hitagi's Pet

Another brilliant work by Tezuka. I really like all his stuff directed towards adults. The only bit I wasn't so keen was everything that took place in Israel/Palestine 30 years later. I think it should have ended in Japan with the end of the war.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 21, 2015 10:11 AM

An interesting interpretation of the WW2 from point of view of the Japan and jews.

It was overall great, but I have one big complaint though:

Japan was made to look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too innocent - in reality the war on China side they mentioned was a huge rape fest as well as very prideless acts like using chemicals for war on behalf of Japan. Not even talking about their war with America, which wasn't much better...

Such details could be at least briefly shown.. but well.. ignorance is bliss, I guess, or that's the policy they take.

Other than that - I don't have much against the manga - a nicely made story which rather accurately described the despair war brings. Considering this was done back in 80's, when Japan was still finishing the recuperating from the WW2, it's more of a motivational piece of work for japanese.
9/10 from me.

Apr 30, 2015 3:38 AM

Overall, it was a pretty good story. The characters develop well and the ending was original.

Jun 30, 2015 3:20 PM

Enjoyable all the way through. Wish it was longer!

Jul 7, 2015 7:45 AM
➝➝

Very good read.

Dec 29, 2015 7:55 AM
Glad I read this. Its terrible what war does to young kids.

Jan 26, 2016 5:17 PM

Another really enjoyable work from Tezuka

May 9, 2017 11:32 AM

A powerful message and an amazing character development for Adolf Kaufmann. the buildup in the earlier chapters was somewhat weak, and it has pacing issues. a very good read, regardless. i especially loved the last couple of chapters.

8/10

Dec 11, 2017 10:09 AM
Anime Moderator
watch'em all

A really great work that depicts the horrors of war. 10/10
My goal is to watch as much anime as possible. On my profile you will also find a list of seen cartoons & movies. Sometimes I release older anime or sub some things. If you have any questions, just ask!