Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 12, 2020 9:01 AM

Feb 2020
It's just that there are more anime released nowadays than back then, but every season usually still has a bunch of good shows and even the anime seasons back then had a lot of meh shows, but they didn't stand out so much, because it was just less overall with less shows being released.
Feb 12, 2020 12:47 PM
Nov 2015
Injenss said:
Modern Anime will always feel inferior to the anime you grew up watching. It's inevitable, because the more anime you watch, the more you get used to plots, character types, swerves, etc... I'm at the point now where I can tell you how an anime will end just by watching the first episode, usually. Finding new anime that does something truly new and different and keeps your interest peaked like when you first came into the medium becomes harder and harder, and so you end up liking it less and less than older generation anime.

Consider how amazed everyone was with Sword Art Online when it first came out. The industry saw that and now pumps out so much Isekai, that people are sick to death of it. (And SAO wasn't even that good, really. It was just a newer concept.). Everything we're seeing now, is ripoffs of previous generations of anime and folks from those eras think the 2017-2004 period is trash compared to the 90s. And right now, new fans who are enthralled by Attack On Titan, Vinland Saga and Made In Abyss, are going to be asking this question 10 years from now, when they're sick of seeing the rehashes of those animes.

So for me personally, I just watch what I can. And if I stumble across something in the modern era that's really amazing and a new concept, I appreciate it. Because it's rare the older you get.

I know what you mean but isekai wasnt invented with SAO... They are better old isekai like "Magic Knight reyart" , escaflowne , el dorado , is an old concept ... Not new at all, i have no idea why is popular now , and the worse part is that Now the male lead is always a neet, why the need of that :/
Feb 12, 2020 12:49 PM
Nov 2015
Chiibi said:
freizel said:
Lets start cuz they reveal something important out in first 3 seconds

The novel and manga are the same way?

second animations wise look stiff

That's not so important. I'd rather it look stiff than the characters go through 10 different artists so they look different every time you watch it.

Bloods augustus looks so dumb, not like a Monster able to destroy villages...

Judging by looks, really? Dumb.

Color palette doesnt fit the aesthetics and the Story of orphen ...

Unless you KNOW the novel's story (and from your post, you obviously do not), you don't even know the true story so who are you to judge?

Why didnt you "quote" the other things i said ? Like is not only my oppinion but MOST of the fans oppinion about the anime ? Cuz It doesnt fit your speach right? ... Look if you like It good for you ... Me and most old fans of this great anime find It just a Bad re-make thats it... You do you and watch whatever makes you Happy ;)
Feb 12, 2020 12:53 PM
Nov 2015
AnimaExZero said:
Without a doubt, moderna anime lacks the soul, passion and the spirit from 80's, 90's and 2000's. Nowadays, they're so busy creating waifus, husbandos, shippings, cute lolis, but they are not as excellent as anime used to be. Maybe it lacks from all the new effects and techniques from today, but they really had a more compelling storytelling and likeable characters than today...

Agree agree agree !!!!! OMG i hate this Loli thing right Now, It makes me cringe, and also ashamed to say 'i like anime" cuz they Will link me with this trend... Is a sea of lolis, and guys saying in the comment section "everybody needs a Loli" creepy ! ... But at least all anime is not like that or i would faint xD
Feb 12, 2020 1:35 PM

Aug 2017
freizel said:
Injenss said:
Modern Anime will always feel inferior to the anime you grew up watching. It's inevitable, because the more anime you watch, the more you get used to plots, character types, swerves, etc... I'm at the point now where I can tell you how an anime will end just by watching the first episode, usually. Finding new anime that does something truly new and different and keeps your interest peaked like when you first came into the medium becomes harder and harder, and so you end up liking it less and less than older generation anime.

Consider how amazed everyone was with Sword Art Online when it first came out. The industry saw that and now pumps out so much Isekai, that people are sick to death of it. (And SAO wasn't even that good, really. It was just a newer concept.). Everything we're seeing now, is ripoffs of previous generations of anime and folks from those eras think the 2017-2004 period is trash compared to the 90s. And right now, new fans who are enthralled by Attack On Titan, Vinland Saga and Made In Abyss, are going to be asking this question 10 years from now, when they're sick of seeing the rehashes of those animes.

So for me personally, I just watch what I can. And if I stumble across something in the modern era that's really amazing and a new concept, I appreciate it. Because it's rare the older you get.

I know what you mean but isekai wasnt invented with SAO... They are better old isekai like "Magic Knight reyart" , escaflowne , el dorado , is an old concept ... Not new at all, i have no idea why is popular now , and the worse part is that Now the male lead is always a neet, why the need of that :/
You're correct. SAO isn't Isekai on its own. I should've clarified that I mean the story of SAO in that a video gamer gets sucked into a virutal MMORPG. That is being repeated over and over now. Heroes being drawn into another dimension like you say predates SAO.

It's just my opinion, but I think it's NEETS all the time because NEETS and Hikki's are seen as major gamers. And so they get sucked into the games they play. There may be a bit of pandering to the crowd. Like "Gamers tend to like anime, so to relate to them, let's make the hero a gamer.".
Feb 12, 2020 1:51 PM

Feb 2020
people saying anime was better in the past sound like my parents who tell me everything was better when they were young.
There‘s good stuff and there’s trash and it‘s always been like that.
Also this:

MetanoiaMe said:
It's just that there are more anime released nowadays than back then, but every season usually still has a bunch of good shows and even the anime seasons back then had a lot of meh shows, but they didn't stand out so much, because it was just less overall with less shows being released.
Feb 12, 2020 1:56 PM

Aug 2010
again with these threads....
anime hasnt changed - you just got older and how we experience stuff as we age changes.

i mean do you really think anime of 2020 is that different from the anime of 2017?
Its the saaaame shit.

2004-2010 anime are at least paced a little slower, and the art style/animation techniques on average are a little different or worse, but 2015-2020 anime are all basically the same.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Feb 12, 2020 1:59 PM
Nov 2015
Injenss said:
freizel said:

You're correct. SAO isn't Isekai on its own. I should've clarified that I mean the story of SAO in that a video gamer gets sucked into a virutal MMORPG. That is being repeated over and over now. Heroes being drawn into another dimension like you say predates SAO.

It's just my opinion, but I think it's NEETS all the time because NEETS and Hikki's are seen as major gamers. And so they get sucked into the games they play. There may be a bit of pandering to the crowd. Like "Gamers tend to like anime, so to relate to them, let's make the hero a gamer.".

Yeah that make sense, still overused and lack of originality... They could try something new to "refresh" the genre that in fact is not Bad , just simple turn predictable
Feb 12, 2020 2:01 PM
Nov 2015
Ocat1234 said:
people saying anime was better in the past sound like my parents who tell me everything was better when they were young.
There‘s good stuff and there’s trash and it‘s always been like that.
Also this:

MetanoiaMe said:

Hahahhahah xD ... No hey ! Until this moment i have seen several people giving good reasons on why anime was good ir why they think nowdays is cúter but repetitive... is not like people say :

I miss old times cuz was better and thats it... Thats such a reach xDD
Feb 12, 2020 2:23 PM

May 2008
60s- had astroboy and very few others

70s - SUPER ROBOT and some others, 1st gundam right at the end of the decade

80s- SUPER ROBOT but also REGULAR ROBOT and birth of romcoms / magical girls

90s- ROBOTS, magical girls, wacky is king and overstylization and yet more genres

00s- death of overstylization and death of hand drawn cels to awkwardly enter computer graphics, genres spread out to everything at this point, over the decade the computer drawing style slowly looks less awful

10s- bad cgi still looks bad but more of it is passable, some of which are full cgi shows, mech shows barely exist now, anime starts becoming so mass produced that any show that doesn't get 2 seasons is a rushed forgettable mess no matter how good the concept is.

This is my hyper summary, by no means super accurate. There's still trash in all these decades we don't remember them because most of it didn't come to the west or they weren't worth talking about. Anime nowadays, everyone is watching everything which makes it all seem worse than it is. But in a few decades from now people will remember the bigger stuff with the big budgets, things like Violet Evergarden, One Punch Man, Your Name, Madoka over smaller shows. It's all about having their nostalgia glasses on. They'll claim anime was better now than then in the future with whatever future problem. The cycle will continue.
Feb 12, 2020 3:43 PM

Nov 2008
I find hilarious how triggered people get over lolis. Like it matters how old a drawing is. Shouldn't you be focusing on real problems?

freizel said:

Why didnt you "quote" the other things i said ?

Because 'no comment'?

Like is not only my oppinion but MOST of the fans oppinion about the anime ?

THEY didn't read the source material either. The ones who DID say it's a fine adaptation. :p

Also, it's 2020 and you're whining about 'lack of originality'? Come on, be realistic.
ChiibiFeb 12, 2020 4:23 PM

Feb 12, 2020 8:59 PM

Sep 2016
Thanks to Japan's lack of tapping into world markets, anime's progress toward the general homogenization of all media is slow to almost non-existent. The only apparent homogeneity seems to root from topical trends that originate from the industry's own creators. The people who decide anime's success still are mainly the Japanese themselves though shows like the new FLCL show that that may change very soon. Just as Disney has done in the west, I do believe we are headed into an age where media overall will become catered to the majority where only safe topics are explored in order not to put a hamper on potential consumers. The conglomeration of western media producers has already made much of our music and other media's aimed at everyone leaving any meaningful nuance in the dust. As anime becomes more popular abroad and moves more toward a genre as opposed to a freaky fandom we will see the fall of great anime and a steady supply of mass produced slop meant for the masses to gobble up along with all the other approved media. We are currently in a time where Japan is doing this on a small scale limited to their boarders, but once or if this expands then I think we can expect to see that anime will become a animated rendition of all the shit we are already fed in the west.

Anime as of the present maintains a steady stream of decent shows and classic shows are overall just as rare as they have ever been. The level of completion to me is overall independent from how much I appreciate a show as endings can often ruin the enjoyment of the entire series.
Feb 12, 2020 9:46 PM

Jul 2013
Still beyond my taste range and seriously Japan, what the f**k is this bulls**t that I'm seeing right now? almost every anime now has to be like hot comedic and monotonous garbage.

I got an idea for Japan, make new action drama anime or GTFO!

Oh! and I'm watching Castlevania thanks to their failed efforts at making anime this violent and serious. If webcartoons can have this much carnage, then I'll forget that future anime will even exist. So yeah! there is no excuse that anime can't be like totally dark and gritty anymore, plus no excuse for Japan to limit themselves to making boring comedy and fanservice.
Feb 12, 2020 9:53 PM

Nov 2008
Kurt_Irving said:
there is no excuse that anime can't be like totally dark and gritty anymore,

Uh...didn't they release a third season of Psycho-Pass JUST this past fall? What are you bitching about lol...

The people who decide anime's success still are mainly the Japanese themselves though shows like the new FLCL show that that may change very soon.

Nah....it won't change. Japanese Otaku are the ones the industry makes the most money off of.

Feb 12, 2020 10:04 PM

Jul 2013
Chiibi said:

Uh...didn't they release a third season of Psycho-Pass JUST this past fall? What are you bitching about lol...

About how dimwitted so many anime have become lately, that's what and btw, I don't care about Psycho-Pass anymore.
Feb 12, 2020 10:07 PM

Nov 2008
Kurt_Irving said:
What anime has become lately, which is what anime will always become

Lol wut. To try make more sense when you post. :/

Jojo is dark and gritty. Made in Abyss is dark and gritty. Yakusoku no Neverland is dark and gritty....

People acting like anime is only moe, cutesy fanservice shit must not be paying attention to the ENTIRE anime seasonal chart? With more shows coming out, numerous as ever, anime caters to every demographic who is looking for any type of genre. Are you all just trolling or what?

https://www.livechart.me/winter-2020/tv

Try to look closely with your eyes and use your brain to process the descriptions on this f*cking CURRENT chart, people.
ChiibiFeb 12, 2020 10:12 PM

Feb 15, 2020 1:12 PM
Nov 2015
Yup said:
60s- had astroboy and very few others

70s - SUPER ROBOT and some others, 1st gundam right at the end of the decade

80s- SUPER ROBOT but also REGULAR ROBOT and birth of romcoms / magical girls

90s- ROBOTS, magical girls, wacky is king and overstylization and yet more genres

00s- death of overstylization and death of hand drawn cels to awkwardly enter computer graphics, genres spread out to everything at this point, over the decade the computer drawing style slowly looks less awful

10s- bad cgi still looks bad but more of it is passable, some of which are full cgi shows, mech shows barely exist now, anime starts becoming so mass produced that any show that doesn't get 2 seasons is a rushed forgettable mess no matter how good the concept is.

Hahahahha i would just add Magic in general and fanstasy genres explote un the 90s but yeah, you are right before that Lo anime was mecha mecha and more mechas, were so boring !!! There were even ECCHI mechas hahahaha like vandread ... I Will kind of add that in late 90s early 00 echi became a genre ... Everything have that
Jan 31, 2021 12:53 PM
Jan 2021
Cliff hangers everywhere. Why? Because "go read the manga you nub." Sorry, I never have and never will read that crap, it's just not for me.
Jan 31, 2021 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
Esquirtit said:
>shows aired in the past
>2017

really bro

Haha thought the same. These new weebs nowadays ..."Modern anime" is for me like 2010 onward. Maybe even 2007, 2008, 2009...

About the topic: There are a lot of soulless cashgrab productions imo. Even the art styles of those anime looks like a 13 yo with a Deviantart account made these lifeless and personality-less character designs.
It's not only the art style, the color schemes, the background art and the visuals overall are boring. There are no artistic shots of characters or landscapes or situations. I think soulless is a perfect description.

Something like this Smartphone crap, which is basically the definition of "so average it's boring" to me:

And not to begin with the writing and characterization etc... and these lazy premises and worldbuilding of these shows. They are all copy-pasted from each other and often don't even behave like a real human in the slightest anymore. Also the worldbuilding: copy and paste without any thoughts put into them, meeh...
The imo generic love comedies with waifu baits etc... aren't better either.

But ofc there are still a lot of great ones, but these generic series kinda overshadow the anime industry nowadays. There are too many anime in production every season now and they are soulless cashgrab.
removed-userJan 31, 2021 2:21 PM
Jan 31, 2021 1:42 PM

Sep 2014
Hrybami said:
Great, my time machine is working again.

Great, my time machine is working again.
Jan 31, 2021 2:27 PM

Oct 2010
I didn't even realize it was a year-old thread, till something clicked in my head like "hey, it's not 2020 anymore".

Whatever. The original question doesn't have much to it, I guess OP ended up focusing more on older anime which is what he was getting more enjoyment from. But some arguments have been made that are a bit questionable.

There's one particularly about the lack of authorial/directorial intent. Which is something so outrageously random I can't believe it wasn't even questioned by others here. What does it even mean anyway? Thanks to the much bigger access to production data and other factors like the sakuga fandom actively researching the people involved, we may have the feeling that anime is a collective effort and not the product of one enlightened mind. But so it was before, we just didn't know and associated every single thing from a movie or series to a mastermind. Not to the dozens of animators, the storyboarders, the studio(s), the production committee... Creating anime is and has always been a collective job and with our current knowledge of the industry we should infer that it has always been and that perhaps we have been romanticising the mention of single, recognizable figures and forgetting everything else to create the illusion that anime was a collection of individual talents that faded over time.
Jan 31, 2021 2:33 PM
Aug 2020
It's not completely awful like a lot of elitists say it is, but there's too many manga commercials disguised as adaptations, unoriginal isekai shows, and otaku pandering trash. But I guess it makes sense since that's what sells.
Jan 31, 2021 2:37 PM

Dec 2020
I only have one thing to say, and I'll say it in Spanish ...

El anime antiguo ha deteriorado y el moderno ha evolucionado... EL ANIME DE TODAS LAS ÉPOCAS ESTÁ MUY BUENO.
Jan 8, 2022 5:29 PM
Dec 2021
Some modern animes are dumb generic pile of crap with Stupid Mc getting isekaie'd to another world getting powers and a harem, some OP Mc whose either a God, demon, or mage that has a bland personality, appearance and gets a harem of cute girls with trashy representations of females.

Only a few can actually have characters with a good personality like mob from mob psycho 100, tohru honda from fruits basket, Sailor moon from Sailor moon Crystal, ect.

I like a character that isn't a dumb idiot with a harem for just existing.

Shows like Castle Town Dandelion, Release the spyce, Armed girl's Machiavellism, and Fruits basket 2019 are shows with characters I like cause they aren't trashy bags of rejects.

Harem shows are bad cause they don't put any effort into the characters just one guy and 4+ girls either fighting over the Mc, trying to seduce him or get aroused by him being a dull turd or a d**k.

So 60/100 modern animes are either terrible, overpopular or generic
KazeSamuraiJan 8, 2022 5:41 PM
Jan 8, 2022 6:25 PM

May 2013
Anime industry is like game industry. Complete saturated. There are lots of poor shows but there always will be few very good ones too. Just like games. There are over 100 games released every day on Steam and how many of them really is masterpiece? Same with anime. I don't think things are bad because we have more stuff. We just see more bad stuff because there are more stuff in general. The Gems are always rare. They where rare even back in 2007 we don't just remember it. And I might ever argue that we get more gems today than before because how big whole anime industry is. More change for good gems.

Jan 8, 2022 6:43 PM

May 2020
Most modern anime feel like copies of older anime, but worse. And serious moments are ruined by random "comedy" scenes, that aren't even funny. The atmosphere and feeling isn't the same anymore.
Jan 8, 2022 6:45 PM

May 2020
KssioAug said:
People always look to the past with rose-tinted glasses. Among good things we always had a bunch of shit, it was always the case... it goes to anime, manga, movies, games or whatever. Also, in the past we didn't have the easy accessibility to a variety of anime we have today. I have been watching and reading modern and old anime or manga, and I have seen amazing stuff no matter the time it was released.

You haven't watched enough old anime.
Jan 8, 2022 6:51 PM

Jun 2014
I'm not a big fan of modern anime, as I prefer older anime, but I occasionally come across modern stuff that is really good, such as "Little Witch Academia," "Promare" and "Violet Evergarden."

Jan 8, 2022 10:01 PM

Aug 2019
I’m not reading through all the replies so perhaps someone has already said this, but I don’t think a majority of the people that prefer older series over newer ones have really seen enough stuff from past decades to make this claim; I imagine it’s one of those cases where people only really remember the good stuff because if you look back to old years you can easily find really shitty shows (that Id argue are probably worse than the stuff that airs nowadays)
Jan 9, 2022 2:02 PM

Jul 2013
I think that today's anime would have been more popular in the 1970s. It's like they were made in the wrong era.

Seriously though, the anime industry is like totally out of ideas. Making too many anime so that their relevance and viability will get thrown out the window.

They are still taking chances alright, as in screwing around making new anime that seems to be like, "Oh! That anime" then "It is so five minutes ago".

El Hazard may be the first isekai anime, but it came out way before that fantasy genre ended up being oversaturated.
Kurt_IrvingJan 9, 2022 2:05 PM
Jan 9, 2022 2:13 PM

Aug 2021
I mean im not going to say all modern anime are bad but most of them lack the good storytelling of the older ones
Never forget bungee gum has both the properties of both rubber and gum
Jan 9, 2022 3:03 PM

Jul 2019
Definitely. As you grow older, modern anime do feel different from before. Though, nostalgia plays into it.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 9, 2022 3:44 PM

Jul 2021
its been getting pretty unoriginal in the recent years. but we have gotten a few gems such as Vinland saga

Jan 9, 2022 4:03 PM

Aug 2010
I think we get more good anime now than ever. It's a numbers game. We get a ton more anime now then we used too and it has multiplied the amount of good anime that comes out, however it has also multiplied the amount of stinkers that come out.

Also i'd say the average production value of anime has gone up, not that that means everything
ComboSmoothFeb 9, 2022 6:52 PM
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 9, 2022 9:04 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
That's a pretty broad question. Also, 2004-17, really?
As far as my MALgraph stats are concerned my ratings for anime haven't changed that much throughout the years, despite my number of completed anime increasing drastically. Aside from that, I don't think I have a simple way to summarize my opinion on thousands and thousands of anime... at least without being too vague.
Jan 9, 2022 9:34 PM

Feb 2020
The real question here should be why is it always people like u (in your case 45% of completed anime in the list is anime from 2017 to beyond) who feel that way?

AdampkJan 9, 2022 9:54 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 9, 2022 9:45 PM

Aug 2018
some of them are good and some of them are bad and some of them are just ok
Jan 15, 2022 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
They are fine just as is. Older Anime had just as much trash but they are forgotten, only remembering the good ones. No Era is "better" than the other. I'm an old school but prefer modern Anime because they are more satisfying and they are audio visual masterpiece.
Jan 15, 2022 2:26 AM
Feb 2020
Moniker_Moniker said:
I just feel like modern anime is polluted with lifeless cashgrabs, but that still doesn't mean there isn't any good titles, they just get less of the spotlight. I feel like anime back then was better because only the most promising titles got an anime adaption because studios didn't just have heaps of cash and labor to throw at a shitty adaption. I dont actually know why they were generally better though

basically this,and the other reason is "Light novel was a mistake" there u go,u will realise recent anime is usually from LN adaptation and u guess it.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

35 by Daviljoe193 »»
7 minutes ago

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 9 hours ago

15 by MadanielFL »»
20 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - May 29

31 by Euri_Makishima »»
28 minutes ago

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - May 29

17 by Lhundrup »»
1 hour ago

» What does your waifu expect of you?

SgtBateMan - Today

21 by SgtBateMan »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.