Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 30, 2018 12:10 PM

Jun 2010
Loved this epiisode even it was sad aswell. Really this show is so good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2018 4:36 AM

Jul 2009
A lot of memories of their past.
May 27, 2018 9:19 AM

Dec 2013
That was a very smooth backstory to be honest. I liked the whole strategic section went as well. The animation flows well with the storytelling. Loved it!
Aug 20, 2018 5:21 AM
Jun 2013
nice of them to touch on violets past and some war stuff, but how the hell is she so dam good at fighting and stuff. They dont really explain that.
Oct 2, 2018 5:26 PM
Apr 2008
The sound effects are top-notch, wow. Thundering bullets and explosions. I can only watch the show now with my AKG K702 and amp with slight bass boost, because to do otherwise would be a disservice to the work put into the sound. It's simply incredible, especially when combined with the shaky screen for impact.

That said, I couldn't help but be a bit miffed thinking all this work could've been done for the 4th season of Full Metal Panic. That's all I could think about when I heard the bullets whizzing and the gorgeous artwork and animations. Xebec have been doing a great job, but still....
Dec 15, 2018 11:05 PM

Jun 2015
good flashbacks. i can really start to see basically when and where gilbert started to fall in love, and the guilt on his face during some parts of it.
Dec 28, 2018 1:33 PM

Mar 2016
Major Gilbert's grave proved that the presumed dead state of him is true and that Violet had no way of disproving this fact my the look on her face when she saw the grave.

Ok, now Violet's relationship with her Major is revealed. I really love this episode, because aside from the relationship between them both, it got good action! Violet is a beast! She charges into battle first with almost no protection, kills her prey swiftly and stealthily and loyally continues protecting her Major. It makes sense why she's called 'the Major's dog'. I wonder how, where and when did she learn to do all of this and who has taught her all of these fighting techniques.

The war is more focused on the relationship of the major and Violet thank the war itself, it doesn't feel horrifying in any way except hen these 2 characters are involved (example: them being shot at)
Jan 24, 2019 1:18 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
As soon as Violet's mental breakdown started, it was rewind time.
I appreciate the background though, it makes me glad we're living at an age where a global conflict like a world war is absent, in honor of all the people that served in thos previous two.
I get the fantasy tag this show is labeled with, for once, there are the strange language carvings they use, and also, the superhuman kid that can lead a war, this almost got to the degree of Battlefield 5 where everybody criticized the “war hero” female that appeared in the trailer.
I guess the next episode is going to be where the real feels hit, have mercy me on Anime-chan.
Feb 22, 2019 1:23 PM

Nov 2010
I'm getting some Gunslinger girl wibes here
Apr 21, 2019 1:23 PM

Apr 2012
Oh the feels, sad anime stories in here.
May 8, 2019 6:34 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, she is really something, nobody can stop her!
Jul 2, 2019 5:27 AM

Jul 2013
Good backstory that flowed really smoothly. It's a nice change of pace. The past episodes have been really tranquil and set the mood perfectly for the time of peace Violet lived in. This episode however contrasts it heavily in a good way.

I'm really intrigued in Dietfried's obsession of seeing Violet as a tool. Why does it bother him that much that she has started becoming like a real person instead of a war tool? What was even his intention in giving Violet to Gilbert? Was that supposed to be a challenge for Gilbert? I hope we get to see an explanation of this in the next episodes.

I'm also curious in Violet's past before being taken under the care of Gilbert. She's an exceptional fighter and barely knows anything. She's probably an orphan trained for assassination or something.

This has always been bothering me since the 1st episode but it looks like this episode has pretty much established that Gilbert's "love" for Violet is parental. It has been left vague so far but I hope it really stays that way for the rest of the episodes. I'm bothered by the fact that everyone seems to immediately think of Violet as a child. Her age has been purposely up for debate. At present, I'm inclined to believe Violet is a lot older than people think she is. I think I remember her saying that she was told she was 14 which I assume was at the start of the war. After the war ended, she's probably 18 by now or older judging by her appearance. However, what really bothers me is the potential romantic interest Gilbert had for Violet when she was still a child. Although, the universe this anime is set in has already established that the age of consent in that era is 10. It was common for girls to be married at a young age in old times and even episode 5 has established that but it doesn't really make it any better in my opinion.
Aug 16, 2019 11:32 AM
Jul 2019
That last shot in the eye ! i was like Owch :( .that must be painfull
Oct 3, 2019 7:53 AM

Mar 2015
Great episode, finally looking into Violet's past!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 25, 2020 4:49 AM

Mar 2020
war, war never changes
[url=https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Scuderia1615&sclick=1]
May 8, 2020 11:38 PM

Aug 2019
Good that we got to see the flashbacks of Violet's time in the military with Gilbert, though I expected a bit better. I really liked the scene in market with the brooch.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 13, 2020 8:25 PM

Jun 2009
all the close-ups of Gilbert's eyes 💚
what a caring man...

May 14, 2020 8:39 AM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 27, 2020 7:18 AM

Feb 2019
What a packed episode, this anime is so gorgeous it's incredible.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Dec 19, 2020 1:27 PM

Jan 2019
Damn. I assume us seeing the backstory means that Violet's memories have fully returned? Seems the next few episodes are going to be extremely heavy.
Dec 28, 2020 5:08 AM
Nov 2020
this episode hit differently :")
Dec 30, 2020 1:52 PM

Oct 2018
so can anyone explain to me what Gilbert's brother meant in another episode with Violet having killed so many of their own people?

also please stop saying it's a romantic love, Violet looked like 10 when they first met and he was already a grown-ass adult
Jan 5, 2021 1:59 AM

Dec 2020
the visuals in this anime are 11/10
i love that we finally get to see violet's backstory and war flashbacks
they tried to do a cliffhanger at the end but it didn't feel right in this anime
"give up on your dream and die" -levi ackermann
Feb 8, 2021 12:26 PM

Aug 2018
This is just beautiful, seeing the past of Violet and how she met and got to know Gilbert is very nicely displayed here. I hope of seeing more of these flashbacks in upcoming episodes
Apr 10, 2021 6:26 AM
Oct 2018
I'm so in love with this anime especially since the third episode, but there is one little thing that bothers me

During the war Violets arms got shot and bombed away and it seems like they doesn't stopped the blood flow either.

How long could a Teenager survive and stay conscious in such a situation? 🤔

Additional task: Please correct my English grammar if you like and if something is wrong, especially the use of "either"
I have an upcoming pre-collage like exam you know xD
RalphErhardApr 10, 2021 6:38 AM
Jul 7, 2021 11:29 AM

Jan 2021
This episode really hurt. Ouch. T_T
But it was nice to know more about violets backstory
Jul 14, 2021 7:36 AM

Dec 2020
oh mygod. oh my god ??? oh my godddd 😭😭😭😭😭 I CANT SAY ANYTHING ELSE THIS IS SO BAD
Aug 2, 2021 6:14 PM

Feb 2019
The animation for this episode was on par with Attack on Titan :O

I just wish they made it flow a bit more smoothly - by cutting away from every death to avoid gore, they make the editing look slightly jittery.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Nov 23, 2021 8:39 AM
Jul 2019
My mother and this episode hurt to be honest. As Violet finds out everything and remembers the moments with the Major in the war, she must have led an ugly life. 😭😭💔 And in the end we already know that it's not gone yet, but still and how this is getting worse and worse diarrhea. 😭💔
Nov 30, 2021 9:42 AM

Jun 2016
We learn more about the war that Gilbert and Violet fought in, as well as how they both met.

It's fair to say that Violet is sort of like a lost puppy following her master around. It appears tho that this had an effect on Gilbert. When they called her a weapon, they weren't fooling around, hehe.

Dun, dun, grave spotted. No body was found, so it's just an empty grave.

It sure is bizarre seeing Violet dual-wield weapons and murder her foes singlehandedly in a quick, effective style.

Jan 11, 2022 10:04 AM

Sep 2021
how did violet not bleed to death like bro she literally lost both her arms and was unconscious for probably several hours
hgwnejmp.ädqwsd
May 7, 2022 7:24 AM
Jan 2021
Most of the stuff happened in this episode has already been vaguely shown in ep 1 and this episode just makes it more clear so there's not really much to say other than seeing violet emotionlessly Killing the enemy just hurt
Jun 26, 2022 12:08 AM

Jan 2010
I don't get why the military brass were so adamant about putting Violet on the frontlines. I get she's a disposable orphan with incredible combat abilities, but she also doesn't seem capable of following directions very well, much less communicate in any meaningful manner. She's simultaneously important enough to include in combat, but also unimportant and could die in a ditch for all anybody cared. Maybe they're just trying to get Violet killed in a way that's useful? In that case, she's still a liability, as she charged in while defying Gilbert's orders, set fire to the area, alerted the enemy encampment, and screwed up their surprise attack.

This seems like a way to force the idea people seeing Violet as a tool for killing, when instead it's more of people forcing her to act as a tool. In other words, it seems like a forceful way to make Gilbert's superiors all seem despicable. At the same time, Hodgins seemingly blames Gilbert for Violet's continued terrible image, as if Gilbert had a choice in disregarding his superiors' orders.

I think it would have been better if Violet had some choice in the matter, no matter how minor. Perhaps, if she didn't fight as a solder, she wouldn't have a place to live. Maybe if she were born on the streets or in the wild, and only knew how to fight. Personally choosing to fight and kill would give Violet a truly personal reason to feel remorseful for her actions, making what I assume to be her journey of redemption all the more necessary. At least, something that didn't rely on a confusing situation where Gilbert's simultaneously forced to sortie Violet while also being criticized for using her as a killing tool, as well as Violet simultaneously getting ridiculed as a killing tool by the very people using her as such.
Oct 30, 2022 3:29 AM
Aug 2021
Mhmhm finally some background story
Nov 3, 2022 8:38 AM
Oct 2021
Unexpected.....
Jan 20, 2023 8:31 PM
Jan 2023
A beautiful flashback that goes through Violet's first feelings, it also shows her skills on the battlefield and the end she had to go through with the Major
Mar 15, 2023 9:08 PM

Oct 2021
What a tragic backstory episode for our heartbroken protagonist. Her beloved Major was shot in the eye. Violet love looking at Major Gilbert's eyes. And now, war has taken him away from her.

-------------------------
Marianne

~Effort, Fortitude, and Tenacity
Mar 22, 2023 2:58 PM

Aug 2020
Nice episode, I'm appreciating this Rewatch of mine. It is an eye candy, however the issues are as obvious as they can be. It is kinda funny tbh; Violet is John Rambo and a victorian soap opera teenager in one. In one moment she is as silent as a door, the other she screams really damn loud. She is a Mary Sue that got the military drip tricks out of nowhere. What is the series at all? Little Women? Dunkirk? Apocalypse Now? Fullmetal Jacket from Kubrick? A tearjerk 1800s romance novel? Still trying to find out. I am having a good time, but man... is it weird

May 13, 2023 2:20 AM

Nov 2022
Violet is so obedient and loyal, if only all girls were as obedient and loyal.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
May 28, 2023 12:37 PM

Jan 2022
Violet has some rizz lol Damn the major got shot in the eyes, something special was taken away from Violet. Once again this episode made me cry. At least we now know what happened
This never updates so that's cool
Jun 15, 2023 2:44 AM

Apr 2013
Hey, we finally got more backstory. Though I assume we'll never learn why Violet is such a good fighter, she just is?
Dec 17, 2023 1:06 AM

Nov 2023
yehey, I like to know more about Violet's past, and well, it wasn't good
Feb 7, 4:06 PM
Apr 2023
I felt bad in the previous episode when violet finds out that Gilbert is dead...and this episode was a reminder of the war....
Mar 25, 2:06 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
That's pretty freaking impressive for Violet and Gilbert to clear that entire room alone, while being severely outnumbered by the enemy soldiers who had cover AND had the high ground, while just the two of them were on the low ground, out in the open

Also running full sprint while shooting an M1 garand (sorry if I'm getting my guns wrong) which is as big as you are, to the SIDE, not being able to fully cushion the kick back into your shoulder... can't be easy can it?? And heck I don't think Violet was spraying and praying; she was definitely aiming, and was probably hitting her targets. They never really explained what they did to her to make her into such a weapon, did they? She's called "just a tool", okay sure, but a real deadly one at that

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 15, 1:02 AM
May 2023
I don't know how to explain but I'm feeling overwhelmed after watching this.......In simple words that was a great experience.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

621 by Term4738 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2018

366 by BigTheRat »»
Yesterday, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2018

361 by Term4738 »»
May 22, 8:03 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

571 by curleyswife »»
May 21, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

247 by mafuemu »»
May 19, 2:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.