Forum Settings
Forums
New
Seinen or shounen ?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 4, 2018 9:37 AM

Nov 2015
Swagernator said:
I'm not 100% sure there but there are no battle seinens.
Yes there is . Gantz and Inuyashiki. With more rape and blood.
HACKs! ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Jan 4, 2018 9:45 AM
Jul 2018
Seinen seem to take bigger risks than shounen, probably because the shounen market's bigger.
Jan 4, 2018 9:55 AM

Aug 2013
mehmehperson said:
With more rape and blood.

Rape, blood and killing doesn't mean seinen.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 4, 2018 9:56 AM

Jul 2017
It really depends on my mood... and usually seinen may have a heavier undertone, but to be honest there aren't much difference between them.
Jan 4, 2018 11:15 AM
Jan 2018
Shingeki no kyojin is shounen or sienen?
Jan 4, 2018 11:27 AM

Feb 2016
i'll give a point to seinen since i don't think that there's any shounen magazine that interests me as much as Afternoon out there. But in the end i'm always sneaking through josei magazines more than anything, so...

-Lofn- said:
Why do I feel like people are associating shounen to only battle shounens...

because people like to associate whatever it is the idea they have about shounen and seinen as the ultimate truth. Blood, gore and nudity for seinen, and imaturity, power-ups and nakama to shounen. Not to say that each category doesn't have their own identity, sure they do, but i can't help but think that people are just throwing these words without actually knowing much about what they're talking. Like, there's not really such a rule as "shounen can't have this"

it's hard to discuss a historical thing like manga with few sentences. Saying that categories doesn't matter is quite absurd, since they have their own identity. Mangaka themselves have their preferences towards the four demo. Asano says he likes drawing for Seinen magazines. Okazaki liked to draw manga for girls and women, since her stories were about young women living in big cities somewhere between 1980 and 1990 (and she draw some fashion stuff). But at the same time it's pretty dumb to judge something based solely on the category. There's also the magazine matter, which can drastically change the type of work published in certain categories (like Young Jump is a seinen magazine which publishes really juvenile works)

there's so much to consider when it comes to this... and i admittedly lack knowledge to do so
llorandoJan 4, 2018 11:31 AM
Jan 4, 2018 12:06 PM

Aug 2016
My MALGraph scores are pretty close between the two, factoring in weight.

Based on my experience between the two in terms of the types of anime that was made, my preference leans toward seinen with all things considered.
MechKingKillbotJan 4, 2018 12:10 PM
Jan 4, 2018 12:51 PM
Aug 2016
Well, I like both of them, but I prefer Seinen more.
AsltJan 4, 2018 12:54 PM
Jan 4, 2018 2:26 PM
Aug 2017
Ironclad_Cobra said:
I always find myself thirsting for a good seinen, so I went with that. Only problem is that I find myself disappointed by a lot of interesting looking series not being scanlated.

Very relatable . But there are still a lot of seinen mangas available .
Jan 4, 2018 2:31 PM
Aug 2017
shanimebib said:
I don't have a single Seinen in my Top 10 but a lot of Shounen in it. But it doesn't tell the whole story as I have loved some Seinen anime as much as I loved shounen.

Also, Seinen is always about gore and violence is a huge misconception.

Seinen comes in all forms Romance, Comedy, Slice of Life, School, Sports, Game, Fantasy, Historical, Ecchi.

Non Non Biyori, Hidamari Sketch, Emma, Uchuu Kyoudai, PLANETES, 3-Gatsu no Lion, One Outs, D-Frag, Giant Killing, Tonari no Seki-kun, Aa! Megami-sama!, Kiniro Mosaic, Otome Youkai Zakuro, Chobits, Rozen Maiden, Ikoku Meiro, Bartender, Bamboo Blade, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Hanayamata, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san, Joukamachi no Dandelion, Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha, Shuffle!, Gingitsune, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, B-gata H-kei just from the top of my head. All of these are Seinen.

Likewise shounen comes in all forms as well and not just battle and sports. For me, both are equally enjoyable. I prefer to judge an anime on the content (primarily for character and story, secondarily for plot and animation) and not the demography it has been targeted at.

So, I am abstaining myself to vote for one.

It's nice to see someone that is aware of these misconceptions . Also , never knew Shuffle and Mikakunin are seinen :)
Jan 4, 2018 4:29 PM

Nov 2007
maluhia said:
Seinen because it has more of a variety of things.

You couldn't have been any more wrong. I cannot fault you because when we talk about shounen we usually picture mainstream ones like One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist and Hunter x Hunter OR sports ones like Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, Major and Ippo.

ARIA, Gintama, Shigatsu, Shingeki no Kyojin, KamiNomi, NiseKoi, Shokugeki, Bakuman, Zetsuen no Tempest, Koe no Katachi, Noragami, InuYasha, Onizuka, WataMote, Sankarea, MahouYome, School Rumble, DenYuuDen, Hayate, Gin no Saji, Binbougami, Flying Witch, Ika Musume, Kokkuri-san, Kannagi, Kimi to Boku, Ballroom, Tsubasa Chronicle, TegamiBachi, Hatsukoi Limited, Inu x Boku, Amanchu, Yamada-kun, Samurai Champloo, Kuroshitsuji, Detective Conan, Danshi Koukousei, Tsurezure Children, Tantei Gakuen Q, Ranma 1/2, Kimagure Orange Road, Isshuukan Friends, Scrapped Princess, Midori no Hibi, To Love-ru, Mirai Nikki, Karin, Hikaru no Go, Macross etc. not enough variety?

I have covered probably every genre in existence under shounen demography on the list above trying to be distinct with each entry. And I just typed in whatever that came to my head.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 4, 2018 4:56 PM

Jul 2017
shanimebib said:
maluhia said:
Seinen because it has more of a variety of things.

You couldn't have been any more wrong. I cannot fault you because when we talk about shounen we usually picture mainstream ones like One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist and Hunter x Hunter OR sports ones like Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, Major and Ippo.

ARIA, Gintama, Shigatsu, Shingeki no Kyojin, KamiNomi, NiseKoi, Shokugeki, Bakuman, Zetsuen no Tempest, Koe no Katachi, Noragami, InuYasha, Onizuka, WataMote, Sankarea, MahouYome, School Rumble, DenYuuDen, Hayate, Gin no Saji, Binbougami, Flying Witch, Ika Musume, Kokkuri-san, Kannagi, Kimi to Boku, Ballroom, Tsubasa Chronicle, TegamiBachi, Hatsukoi Limited, Inu x Boku, Amanchu, Yamada-kun, Samurai Champloo, Kuroshitsuji, Detective Conan, Danshi Koukousei, Tsurezure Children, Tantei Gakuen Q, Ranma 1/2, Kimagure Orange Road, Isshuukan Friends, Scrapped Princess, Midori no Hibi, To Love-ru, Mirai Nikki, Karin, Hikaru no Go, Macross etc. not enough variety?

I have covered probably every genre in existence under shounen demography on the list above trying to be distinct with each entry. And I just typed in whatever that came to my head.

Actually, by going into the seinen genre tag, I already see that there are a lot of seinen with these other tags as well. They both have variety.

Guess I'll change my reason: I just like seinen more.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Jan 4, 2018 11:51 PM
Aug 2017
Swagernator said:
I'm not 100% sure there but there are no battle seinens.

There's going to be Killing Bites , coming out soon .
Jan 5, 2018 2:17 AM

Jul 2014
shanimebib said:
Wait? What? Aria is Shounen? Flying Witch too? Even Amanchu! ?

My life was a lie. I was certain they were Shoujo. Eventually Josei or Seinen. But to learn they are actually Shounen...
Jan 5, 2018 2:37 AM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Seinen is by far much darker and explores much interesting topics but Shounen has always been a captivating and self improving genre, elements I adore such as the big casts and goal oriented life themes really exceed themselves here.
Jan 5, 2018 3:42 AM

Nov 2007
mozgow said:
shanimebib said:

My life was a lie. I was certain they were Shoujo. Eventually Josei or Seinen. But to learn they are actually Shounen...

I have seen that reaction for Kimi to Boku, Nozaki-kun, Tsubasa Chronicle, Kokkori-san, Inu x Boku and even InuYasha but to know someone who had considered ARIA, Amanchu and Flying Witch as Shoujo/Josei is new to me! I understand they can be easily considered seinen though. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 5, 2018 3:48 AM

Nov 2017
I'm 5% sure AoT is a Shounen. (๏ฝก๏ฝฅω๏ฝฅ๏ฝก)
Jan 5, 2018 3:49 AM

Jul 2014
I've never really been into shounen. I do like a good seinen though.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Jan 5, 2018 3:58 AM

Nov 2014
Shounen anime tend to be more in the middle for me, while seinen anime are hit and miss.

I'd also like to chip in that the classification of seinen and shounen are pretty meaningless. Sure there are general trends for both, but often you have a bunch of series that are outliers. That's what you get out of using the targeted demographic of the manga where a certain series is serialised in as a genre.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 5, 2018 4:05 AM

Aug 2017
I don't care of the seinen or shounen tag ,some seinens are not very mature imo(hellsing and tokyo ghoul for example) and some shounens are (nge,fma, ...) .
Jan 5, 2018 4:40 AM

Jul 2014
shanimebib said:
mozgow said:

I have seen that reaction for Kimi to Boku, Nozaki-kun, Tsubasa Chronicle, Kokkori-san, Inu x Boku and even InuYasha but to know someone who had considered ARIA, Amanchu and Flying Witch as Shoujo/Josei is new to me! I understand they can be easily considered seinen though. :)
My reaction is based on what themes shลnen anime/manga usually have. Those mentioned by me have little to no tropes typical for shลnen, thus I assumed they must be shลjo. Mea culpa.
Jan 5, 2018 4:48 AM

Aug 2014
Seinen.
It make sense due age.
I don't find Shounen that appealing anymore.
Though i still read or watch some of the shounen.
Jan 5, 2018 8:24 AM

Oct 2013
Lllllll98645 said:
Shingeki no kyojin is shounen or sienen?

It is a shounen series.

On topic, I prefer to enjoy seinen series more, I think they generally explores themes much deeper and are overall has more freedom to do what they want.

Of course there is exceptions for both. But I tend to lean more towards seinen, because I see less boring good vs evil type of stories like you see with most shounen.
Jan 5, 2018 9:49 AM

Sep 2014
Seinen, even though each year I find it harder to find good ones, mostly because the number of seinen which get released each season is particularly low.(it's full of that moemoe shi*t, just stop please Japan[and yeah, I know they won't stop because moemoe is what sells]).
Mar 12, 2018 12:09 PM
Oct 2017
I just want to put out there that seinens tend to be more serious (Psychological) in nature
Ex: Shonen-Black Clover
Seinen- Tokyo Ghoul

(two of my favs)
Mar 12, 2018 1:14 PM
Oct 2017
Swagernator said:
Juanmamola76 said:

Fate/ Zero?
I think can be considered a "battle seinen"

Eh, no, i think definitely no. Please stop.

fate is a really mature series i would never let my child watch fate
Mar 12, 2018 1:42 PM

Nov 2008
For the most part, Seinen has more appeal to me....it just seems less dumb and tropey. XD

For the most part.

Mar 12, 2018 1:53 PM

May 2009
Both are more demographic groups than cohesive genres or sets of genres, but it does seem that shows that commonly appear on lists of "great anime" tend toward being seinen shows.

That said, I personally picked shounen, since I have a mild preference for a brighter, more idealistic aesthetic.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 12, 2018 1:54 PM

Apr 2017
seinens are all hella boring fam where are the explosions

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ๐š–๐šŠ๐š•'๐šœ ๐™ณ๐™ด๐šƒ๐™ด๐™ฒ๐šƒ๐™ธ๐š…๐™ด ๐š›๐šŠ๐šŒ๐šŒ๐š˜๐š˜๐š—
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ๐™ณ๐™ด๐šƒ๐™ด๐™ฒ๐šƒ๐™ธ๐š…๐™ด ๐š‹๐š˜๐š˜๐š™ !
๐š’ ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š๐šŒ๐š‘ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐šŒ๐šข๐š‹๐šŽ๐š› ๐š›๐šŠ๐šŒ๐šŒ๐š˜๐š˜๐š— !
Apr 7, 2018 9:09 AM
Dec 2016
Seinen and shounen without fights. (Yeah, these kind of animes exist.)
Apr 7, 2018 1:00 PM

Apr 2010
Both can be good, I guess. It all depends. There doesn't have to be a hugh different between seniens and shonens for older audience (17+). Both can play on moral thing and stuff

Apr 7, 2018 10:38 PM
Jun 2016
Shounen is fun and if I get older I would probably shift to Seinen.
Apr 9, 2018 1:55 PM
Oct 2017
seinen just means shounen in chinese
Apr 9, 2018 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
Seinen gets my vote as they have much more in the way of better storylines I find
Apr 9, 2018 7:53 PM

Nov 2013
When I was a Shounen I preferred Shounen series. Now that I'm a Seinen I prefer Seinen series. How strange...
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
โ€• Saint Augustine
Apr 9, 2018 9:06 PM
Apr 2018
I appreciate both however, I would say I lean towards seinen more as the shows i've watched just have a deeper, more mentally stimulating vibe than the shounens I have seen
Feb 9, 2020 7:31 AM
Nov 2015
KRKodama said:
When I was a Shounen I preferred Shounen series. Now that I'm a Seinen I prefer Seinen series. How strange...
Ruthannko said:
I appreciate both however, I would say I lean towards seinen more as the shows i've watched just have a deeper, more mentally stimulating vibe than the shounens I have seen
there are plenty of seinens that have mentally stimulating vibes like death,fma ,hunter x hunter, jojo etc., yes even my hero academia
Feb 9, 2020 7:39 AM

Sep 2018
Those are both just demographics, Seinen usually tackle more "mature" themes compared to Shounen. They usually also go more in depth.

For those reasons i prefer Seinen, Shounen can be fun sometimes but there are nothing more than that to me.

Shounen are more lighthearted and simple since they are aimed towards younger audiences,at least most of them and especially the more modern ones.

Feb 9, 2020 7:46 AM

Jul 2019
Shounen. I like the lightheartedness most shounen shows have. Despite the fact that I appreciate good world building and logical coherence, just having cool stuff for the sake of having cool stuff can be also pretty fun.
Feb 9, 2020 8:03 AM

Nov 2019
I watch shonen a lot more than seinen but appreciate seinen a lot more than shonen. xD
So after great thinking, I think I'll go for seinen.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Feb 9, 2020 8:04 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Well shounen has the lowest weighed score on my Anime+

Shounen also has an absolute mean of 2.47 compared to seinen with 3.45.
Feb 9, 2020 8:13 AM

Nov 2016
I guess I love battle shounen and the unorthodox ones such as Bakuman and Souma the most, but that's more like it's own genre. And even some seinen like Kingdom can be like them.

When it comes to the whole demographic I don't really prefer one over the other.

Always think it's silly how keen some people are on having their favorite anime/manga labelled as seinen. Or some shounen fans(most prominently HxH fans)sry)not really that have the urge to highlight how different it is from your generic shounen.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 9, 2020 8:40 AM
Apr 2018
Poll results are surprising for me. This feels like people think shounen equals childish. So, they vote seinen.

Shounen tag has 1935 anime, while seinen tag has 813. On the other hand, there are more seinen manga than shounen ones. So,I am going to assume people read manga as well.
Feb 11, 2020 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
I generally enjoy Seinen more than Shounen.. it is more diverse and sometimes I am surprised by some anime when I see the tag 'seinen'. I've seen less anime from both genres though. (atleast in recent times)
Feb 11, 2020 11:25 AM

Mar 2012
Seinen by far.

I want to say that younger I prefer shonen but it's more like I was not reading seinen.
Feb 11, 2020 11:33 AM
May 2019
Seinen I guess although I don't mind shounen if it's written well.
Feb 11, 2020 11:37 AM

May 2016
The hidden correct option: Shoujo. The other hidden correct option: Josei.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 11, 2020 4:03 PM

Nov 2016
Sometimes the only difference between the 2 are the ratings imo
JoyBoy_316Feb 11, 2020 4:07 PM
Feb 11, 2020 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoy both, but I prefer seinen just a bit more.
Feb 11, 2020 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
Seinen isn't really a genre in my opinion. Whereas "shounen" became a tried-and-true genre outside of its dictionary definition, seinen shows don't have a particular identity in general.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Best girl from Ecchi anime

Catalano - 2 hours ago

13 by Daviljoe193 »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - May 29

47 by jellylo »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » I'm just better- The anime [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - Yesterday

9 by DarkShame2 »»
29 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

34 by jellylo »»
36 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

96 by Anjuro »»
40 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.