Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, that was rough. Sasha took one for the team! What a brave girl though, that took a lot of courage imo.

I think this might be the most serious episode yet. It highlighted the real dangers of fighting against the Neuroi and that anyone, any time, anywhere can get injured/or killed in line of duty.
Dec 7, 2016 12:19 PM

Mar 2015
Atleast Miyafuji is still doing good work even though shes not in the main cast anymore. ^-^
Dec 7, 2016 2:57 PM

Apr 2010
I knew Miyafuji would be the one to heal Takami and it's nice seeing her again tho it's doubtful wether we will see her again.
Well it's about the 502 this time and not the 501 that being said we might see some of the other units judging from the maps that where shown the 506th is near.

Anyway it seems Hikari skill has increased a great deal i wonder what more we can expect of her.
Dec 7, 2016 5:45 PM
Oct 2015
Miyafuji is my favorite cast member. I would have rather gotten Strike Witches Season 3 then Brave Witches but you take what you can get.
Dec 7, 2016 6:57 PM

Jan 2014
This episode encapsulated why I'm liking Brave Witches more than the main series: it feels like a war story. The role of flying witches in the Strike Witches universe is a lot like that figher pilots had during WWII, but with even more power relative to grunts and pressure on them, they're even younger with even shorter career windows, and as women have even more different social roles. (You could make a very dark version of this story, or GuP's, and actually mecha musume creators like Shimada and Nogami have. They didn't sell well.) Although at some level, darkness isn't too far from the surface in Strike Witches. Nobody's died on screen in the franchise yet, but in just the last couple episodes several witches have had very close calls.

Gundula has to make some unenviable decisions about how much risk to take, and they get a lot tougher when she has to consider the unit's cohesion and morale. Like this episode when she had to decide as whether to let Hikari go through with using Contact Eye, bearing in mind what the other witches would think if they retreated after Hikari blurted out her secret. Clearly the relationship between Hikari and Naoe was on the leadership's mind already, since both Edytha and Sasha nudged Naoe to work with Hikari and the rest to take down the neuroi together. So she pretty much had to make up her mind that teaching Naoe a lesson in teamwork was worth the risk.

Most of the series is about the conflicts between the different witches (and their internal struggles), which are often pretty silly, but we saw how they could still end up being serious business when Naoe's mentality put others at risk and prevented her from teaming up. Since these conflicts are inevitable when you've got a bunch of young people together with such responsibilities on their shoulders, and ambitious fighters like Naoe ready to take risks are needed in the war, leaders like Edytha and Gundula need to manage them, not stamp them out. And appropriately, one of the interstitials went over the promotion system, which is actually not that different from that for fighter pilots in the RAF or USAAF in WWII.
Dec 8, 2016 12:39 AM

Sep 2015
I know Miyafuji will come out at one point and heal Hikari's sister, she is the best healer after all. But for Takami to slept for 3 months(which mean Hikari has been there for that long), thats shocking.

In my opinion Hikari's ability is not really that op If you consider Takami's, plus she also needs to 'touch' to use the ability. Everyone make too much of a big deal out of her ability. But then of course to be able to locate the core location, is also the best ability you can get.

**Seeing Miyafuji in action after a long time just put a smile on your face:)
valvravetruthDec 8, 2016 12:42 AM
Dec 8, 2016 5:54 AM

Nov 2011
During the most frantic phase of air combat, I would have liked that there had been a participation of the whole team and not just a trialogue of Kanno, Hikari and Nipa. Narratively he did not disappoint, and the end brings us a pleasant surprise, even if short-lived. Designs with ups and downs, animations, are sufficient; Silver Link me is a little disappointing. I wish the director tried to give more characterization to the characters, without neglecting the action and also giving space to the technological part because no one knows almost nothing on Striker and their evolution.

Aversa said:
I knew Miyafuji would be the one to heal Takami and it's nice seeing her again tho it's doubtful wether we will see her again.
Well it's about the 502 this time and not the 501 that being said we might see some of the other units judging from the maps that where shown the 506th is near.

Anyway it seems Hikari skill has increased a great deal i wonder what more we can expect of her.

The 506 th is also named in the OVA, but they never made manifest, who knows if we will see before the end, as their symbol on the map, it was clear, I'm really curious to see them in action.
Dec 8, 2016 6:05 AM

Feb 2014
This is one of the few times that I've seen Kanno smiling genuinely. She should do that more often, since she looks really cute while doing so. =)

Either way, Hikari's powerful words gave Kanno the motivation needed to see the mission through, although their strike units got damaged once again. It's good to see them working together and getting along pretty well now, compared to their first meeting.

I'm really happy to see Miyafuji again, which makes sense since her healing abilities are unrivalled. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Takami next week. =)
Dec 8, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2015
She joined the Break Witches!

Dec 8, 2016 10:10 AM
Oct 2015
One thing I wish was different was the fact in 2.9 seasons of the series they have not tried to explain what the Neuroi are or where they come from (my guess is they are from Earths future and man did this to themselves like in the Terminator).

There may even be 2 races/factions of Neuroi at odds with each other as one hive tried to communicate with Miyafuji and another hive arrived to kill the hive that Mijafuji was talking to...
Dec 8, 2016 10:53 AM

Apr 2011
Big sister is finally awake and healed after 3 months. And who's healer other than Miyafuji. I feel nostalgic seeing her again. I would like to see Hikari and her seeing each other in person. Hikari is forced to use her special power to find the core and thankfully she didn't faint.

And Break Witches now has a 4th member. lol
Dec 8, 2016 3:39 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a Kanno focused episode eh
love how we get to see a little of Kanno's personality
and see that even she gets scared sometimes
The neuroi that they faced this episode was pretty strong and pretty crafty

Lol Kanno punching the Neuroi ship with a magic enhanced fist is just like her

Though she is still too reckless though

lol Kanno being lectured by Aleksandra though
she really needs to take care of her equipment better though

lol the break girls
what an apt description and title

So Kanno wanted Takami to be her partner eh
Hikari needs to learn that choosing a partner is not just about strength
but friendship and the bonds between people

It makes sense that the squadron and the military would have to deal with
Grigori nest sooner than later and its nice to see the squadron having a part in
it.

And her recklessness is just causing her friends to be injured as they try and
protect her it figures

Its nice to see that Sasha wasn't killed in that attack though
but man that was close

Sasha is such a great character though
as ever her seiyuu Yumi Hara is amazing as always

As ever Edytha is great at explaining tactics and strategy
A distraction and attack tactic eh
interesting

but man the enemy splitting into two was pretty surprising
as was the fact that it can change shape
i love how the enemy always keeps the girls and us guessing

So did Hikari get promoted to sergeant then
but man spilling your secret on open comms lol

hmm keeping secrets within a unit is never a good thing
there will be consequences of this for sure
touching a neuroi though seems to be a bad thing though

So Kanno's feeling scared eh because she couldn't protect Waltrud or Sasha

Hikari's speech though was good and pretty strong
its great that Kanno was able to recover and be the strong Kanno we all know again

lol the break witches's units all failing at once

hmm so Takami was in a coma for three months eh
i wonder what will she think when she finds out that Hikari took her place
in the unit
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2016 5:33 PM

May 2015
Naoe sure was damn reckless in this episode.

Sisters reunion in the next episode!

Dec 10, 2016 6:56 AM

Oct 2013
Sasha got herself BTFO'ed by the stronger type of Neuroi. Nice to see Hikari proving her worth in air combat and finally being accepted by Kanno.
Dec 11, 2016 5:46 PM

Oct 2008
I think this is the 2nd time they used the power of Hikari "Contact Magic Eyes"
OMG older sister Takami has finally awoken after a very long 3 months!
4/5.

Dec 13, 2016 5:30 AM

Oct 2016
well that was an intense fight .. glad kanno snap out of it thanks to hikari ..
Dec 21, 2016 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
Hell yes! Takami is awake!
Jan 12, 2017 6:20 AM

Mar 2015
At the end there! Takami is awake!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 16, 2017 10:50 AM

May 2012
Quite lovely character development I must say! Looking forward to see what's next.

That epilogue sure was nice to see as well :3
Oct 25, 2017 1:51 PM
Aug 2013
The CG hurt my eyes TT TT
Except that I'm totally enjoying till now
__amaterasu__Oct 26, 2017 11:43 AM
Oct 25, 2017 11:39 PM

Jun 2017
It seems to me that Kanno is the weak link on this team ... she CONSTANTLY needs saving. Why is she the highest rank of the witches fighting in this episode again? Is it because she can punch Neuroi? Surely that ability isn't that valuable, considering how stupid they say it is when Hikari states she has to touch them to use her "contact eye"... She's practically the only one who has needed saving besides the complete newbie Hikari.

Not to mention, she's obnoxious as hell. Such a forced tsundere-esq personality... there are lots of good tsunderes out there, who are lovable ... it's unfortunate that she's not one of them. Well, she "barely" fits the archetype in the first place, having very little 'dere' ... She's just unlovable as hell. A real bitch - she needs to shut her damn mouth for one episode ... I'd like her significantly more if she learned some humility.
Alpha-MethylOct 26, 2017 12:45 AM
Nov 16, 2019 8:01 AM

Sep 2018
Episode from the good narrative in terms of the growth of interpersonal relationships between the protagonist Hikari and the group, above all the bond between her and the character of Kanno has evolved, reaching full maturity, the rest is just an artfully built theater to support this event in the plot. Pretty good comedy, the new ending is catchy as usual.
Mar 13, 2020 4:49 AM

Apr 2013
Eeeh a Kanno episode... I hoped she would get less annoying, but apparently not. Also what's with people telling her it's not her fault if it clearly is lol
Nov 11, 2020 5:19 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
All they need to do, was just to let Hikari touch the damn Neuroi!

Shit, Kanno level of annoying just beyond my limiter on these episode, ngl. Her words to be a stronger witch than Waltrud was just a bs if she couldn't even take care of herself. She almost killed herself twice in a row after facing the same Neuroi and never learnt from her previous reckless. I am almost giving up watching these episode until Hikari did a great job, braving herself up to gave that little brat a huge lesson with her long-ass speech about don't be a stupid shit and talked nonsense. However, just damn you, little tsundere ass, she hitted my cute Hikari! Fortunately, Hikari had a pure soul that never let her grudges controlled her body. She even happy with that situations, wth? Then, once again, she befriended with that annoying little tsundere. Break witches, Sasha? Heck yeah they were! But not with Hikari!

Beside the main topic, its interesting to see more about Rall, that looked like had a trouble with her injury, or she got traumatized after the past incident? Well, i hope, i got to see her backstory before stepping up the last battle against the Neuroi nest. And about Miyafuji sudden appearance. Ah, ofc she got to take care of Hikari's sister health problem. After she fell into a commatose stated in 3 months, i hope she didn't bring a stupid drama to the unit. Lets see the next episode, then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 11, 2021 8:37 AM

Feb 2020
That was a nice punch. Pretty unique way to destroy a Neuroi.

Kanno is such a tsundere, lol.

It was a pleasure to see Yoshika again. She's taking a good care of Takami.

SerafosDec 16, 2023 5:03 AM
Jul 18, 2021 12:53 AM

Aug 2018
Kanno even called Hikari partner for a moment.. Sweet.. ;P Though, I like some other girls more.. Because Kanno is big grumpy dummy sometimes.. ;P Still she's not bad or anything, of course.. In the end - better, if whole squad are ready to work together and support each other..
Sep 22, 2022 10:04 PM

Nov 2010
I like that eyecatcher. The trio of "Break Witches" with Sasha about to go demon mode on them from behind.

More topics from this board

» Do I have to see Strike Witches before Brave Witches?

BroskiKyoujin - Oct 5, 2016

13 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:29 PM

Poll: » Brave Witches Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

57 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 25, 2023 9:00 AM

Poll: » Brave Witches Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2016

53 by MizuhoKamui »»
Sep 24, 2022 10:27 PM

Poll: » Brave Witches Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2016

25 by MizuhoKamui »»
Sep 24, 2022 9:55 PM

Poll: » Brave Witches Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2016

38 by MizuhoKamui »»
Sep 22, 2022 10:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.